Search Unity

Villages, Towns and Cities for 3D maps (medieval style)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tom163, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Tom163

Tom163

For a long time I've been looking for models to create 3D maps that include villages, towns, cities, castles, etc.

You can find all of these assets - but only high-poly or extremely comic-style. In my mind I have 3D maps like in Civ or Total War and settlements set in with models. The terrain engine in Unity allows for large forests, rivers, mountains, and making roads and bridges is fairly easy. But a believable medieval city seems to be extremely hard to come by.

Does anyone know of such assets and where to get them? Ideally, a selection of different sizes and styles for variety. Since I'm talking about a map view, it should be possible to have a dozen or so of them on the screen, and LODs would be perfect for zooming in and out.

2. sicga123

sicga123

Have a look at Arteria 3D, they have some medieval assets based on real places in the UK, an entire unity medieval street level for one, plus a large variety of other stuff. As the guy tends to map his assets from actual sites that still exist in the UK they are fairly accurate. Turbosquid also has quite a few medieval models and possibly large assets of this type so you could try there. As to whether they are that accurate possibly you can compare with Carcasonne which is a still extant medieval walled city in the south of France.

3. Tom163

Tom163

I'm explicitly NOT looking for street-level stuff. There's a million assets out there of houses and streets. I'm looking at things suitable for a MAP display.

Something like these pieces:

Not necessarily in style, but in scale. I want to display a whole city, and the three towns and 20 villages around it. Or if players manage to build them half a dozen cities next to each other.

About this scale: