Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Viking Village demo available from the Asset Store

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by SaraCecilia, Feb 18, 2015.

1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

rakkarage, twobob, sluice and 4 others like this.
  2. Roni92

Roni92

no need, already informed xd

3. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

4. spryx

spryx

Looks great..but I am getting missing materials: mat_terrain_near1 and mat_terrain_near2

Attached Files:

• ss.png
      ss.png
      File size:
      919.8 KB
      Views:
  5. TroyDavis

TroyDavis

@ Spryx, I fixed that by switching to the standard Specular shader.

spryx likes this.
  6. Silvia-Rasheva

Silvia-Rasheva

Unity Technologies

Hi! It is possible we made a mistake pointing to RC1 in the blogpost. If you have RC2, can you try the project with it instead? If you still see the problem, then it's a bug and we'll look into it.

7. elbows

elbows

I'm getting the pink ground using RC2.

8. spryx

spryx

@TroyDavis Thanks, that seems to fix the issue.

That skybox is soo nice.... :)

This is a very good demo. I only get about 8 - 12 fps, but I am on a low end gpu (GT 620M).

9. SteveB

SteveB

...fixed the Pink Ground.tm yes by changing the shader...

...was able to get it to build to iPhone 6Plus; it pops up for a split second and then crashes. Is there anything special I need to do to the scene other than change the Platform in my Build Settings and changing the platform to Mobile in the Quality Settings script?

(Also is there an automated Time of Day?)

Thanks!

-Steven

10. sluice

sluice

How can I edit the shader? I don't see any option..?

I get this error when clicking on the arrow to open the shader options:

11. elbows

elbows

Delete ShaderGUI.cs from Assets/Shaders/Editor

12. sluice

sluice

it works, great! Thanks!

13. katoun

katoun

For the correct fix of the shaders on RC2 I used a beyond compare of the code for BuiltinShaders from RC1 and RC2 and made the diff into the shaders from this village demo.
    I put the shaders into a zip and attached it below.

Attached Files:

Lex4art, Luckymouse, twobob and 2 others like this.
  14. SteveB

SteveB

I'm embarrassed to ask as I feel like I should know this...

...but why is it I can't click on certain objects to select them (In Scene View of course :D)? Am I going crazy? I can click on probes, the rocks, fences, but I can't click on any houses or certain ground items nor the wall towers (though I can of course select them in the Hierarchy window).

-Steven

15. katoun

katoun

I think you are clicking on the DualTouchControls object witch is a UI Canvas object :D

16. SteveB

SteveB

Hehe, nope else I wouldn't be able to select other objects. I'm just floating around over the village and I can't click on any of the buildings :confused:

17. katoun

katoun

Oh, that is something else..

18. Silvia-Rasheva

Silvia-Rasheva

Unity Technologies

@spryx Thanks for bringing up the issue. A fix is coming, expected to be live within 2 hours or so.

19. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

In the video there are a lot of puddles on the ground. I can't see any in the demo.

20. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Just download the last Version: 1.0.1757 (Feb 19, 2015). Still got errors for my OSX Editor and the terrain shader shows pink color.

Shader files from katoun seems fixed them nicely, Thanks.

StandardShaderGUI.cs still has problem, removed it then just work fine.

[Edit] just see another update again:
    Version: 1.0.1758 (Feb 19, 2015)

Downloading....

21. llde_chris

llde_chris

I've started the download twice now. Every time I come back to check if the download is done, it is, but it's always accompanied by "There is a new version available". :D

I'll try this again in a day or so.

22. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Seems Version: 1.0.1758 (Feb 19, 2015) work fine on my Macbook Air now :)

Still a some warnings (not harmful):
    Assets/Shaders/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(75,26): warning CS0414: The private field `UnityEditor.StandardShaderGUI.lightmapping' is assigned but its value is never used

Shader warning in 'Hidden/Skybox': Support for SetTexture combiner +- has been removed at line 57

23. elbows

elbows

I suppose what I'd like to know is why this project is including its own shader variants at all - if the point is to demonstrate what Unity 5 has to offer with PBR, fighting and the standard shader(s), why do this?

24. elbows

elbows

I mean there could be good reasons, but you really should tell us what they are. Not a mention of it in the blog post about the demo as far as I can tell.

25. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I guess you are referring to the fact that the materials are not editable: I wonder the same thing.

I thought this project was meant to be used as a learning example and am surprised to see something like that being closed to the user.

26. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

What version of the beta are you loading it in, there was a bug a few beta's ago where you couldn't see materials in the inspector.

27. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I'm on RC2 and downloaded the vinking village five hours ago.

Materials are ok in my personal project.

28. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Ok, I'll let the demo team know.

29. Silvia-Rasheva

Silvia-Rasheva

Unity Technologies

@Marc Saubion : materials not editable - should be fixed in version 1.0.1758. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

@elbows : I am not sure I understand your question correctly. Do you mean why we have a separate shader for the terrain? The answer is, because we wanted to mix materials, and this is not possible through the Standard Shader.

Generally in this project, we have tried to keep the customisations to a minimum, but in some cases it was better to make them.
    I don't think this creates an inaccurate representation of what Unity 5 has to offer with regards to PBR, lighting and shading. Depending on the specifics of your projects, you will always have to make some choices about how to use what is in Unity out of the box, and where to customise and extend it.

30. elbows

elbows

Yeah thats the sort of thing I meant, although I wasnt suggesting it was some sort of inaccurate representation of what Unity 5 can do. I just think you should have talked about that custom shader stuff in the lengthy blog post about this project.

31. Phantomx

Phantomx

How did you paint terrain details (grass) on a non-terrain mesh?

32. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Created a new project, downloaded the newest version of the village, and I still got purple terrain, errors when trying to look at material properties. And I also can't see the water puddles on the ground. Is that an issue with textures or materials?

33. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I also just downloaded it and get purple ground and uneditable materials. Is V1.0.1758 already supposed to be on the asset store?

That is also a very good question.
    (edit) Looks like the Ground inside the village is a very small terrain patch. The grass is just painted on the perimeters of the village ground terrain. So it is painted on a terrain but the unwalkable environment is not.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  34. unicat

unicat

Asset Store Version always jumps back to Version 1.01755 after closing Unity. It`s the same with the shader calibration Scene. Why this?

35. spryx

spryx

Also experiencing the issue where unity reverts to 1.01755 after closing Unity.

36. Phantomx

Phantomx

They generated a paintJob.asset that must contain somehow the height information of the mesh and pass it to the terrain script, but I don't know how they generated that asset.

37. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I got the same thing. Even when I delete the Downloaded Unitypackage from the download folder and try to download 1.0.1758 I still get the missing textures and Unity still reverts to v 1.0.1755 after closing.

38. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I'm also getting the pink ground using Untiy 5 RC2. I downloaded Viking Village version 1.0.1758. I imported it into an empty project and got the pink ground.

39. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Could you check if the AssetStore reverts to V. 1.0.1755 on restart, as well?

I just had another look at that. It's a simple terrain with the same height information as the ground in the village.
    The terrain has not been assigned as a collider, though. Also (and more important for you probably) - the terrain draw settings have been set to disabled. You can find that in the terrain settings tab. So it's just a transparent, non-collision terrain that does nothing else than to render grass. :)

40. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Version: 1.0.1758 really works fine for me, no more pink terrain materials.

[Edit] imported the katoun Shader to fix it.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  41. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Nope. Won't work for me. I have no Idea why.
    I redownloaded the Package but it still has the pink and uneditable textures. It also reverts back to 1.0.1755 AGAIN. I've deleted the download from my Windows user directory. Nothing.

(edit) the weird thing is that even creating new standard materials won't work in the Viking Village project. They show the same behaviour of not being editable.
    The legacy shaders and others seem to work, though.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  42. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I can see the grass is from a regular, but invisible, terrain matching the geometry of the visible, one which is a mesh.

I would like to do the same for architectural projects so I can use a precise mesh instead of a terrain but keep grass and trees: how do we make the last follow the geometry perfectly?

43. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Wait, I think i imported the katoun Shader to fix it....My Bad...so sorry:confused:

44. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Off the top of my head I'd see two ways to do this:
    1. Rougly match the terrain by hand (preferrably with a high contrast texture to see how close you are to the mesh) and refine, refine, refine with a gradually lower opacity brush. Since you are using the foliage and maybe trees only it doesn't matter if it fits 100%. The grass or trunks may penetrate the floor a little and after the terrain is set to invisible you won't notice much.
    2. Make a heightmap from the terrain and bring that over to ZBRush/Mudbox whatever and take it from there. So in that case you paint the terrain but match the polymesh to the now invisible terrain mesh not the other way round.

45. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Thanks but the first method is too time consuming for regular creations ;). I was going for the second, producing a heightmap from 3dsmax and using it on a terrain but I didn't try it yet.

I'm asking so I wouldn't lose time on it if I missed a better approach.

46. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I guess a heightmap is your fastest and probably most precise option.
    Just make sure to set the height of the terrain accordingly and maybe it will work very painless. :)

I'm totally guessing, of course.

47. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

So do I, so let's hope it works.

But unity seriously need to update that terrain: I was ok with it when I started on Unity 2 but now we have a more mature engine, it becomes a chocking point on the workflow.

fsidler and shkar-noori like this.
  48. Silvia-Rasheva

Silvia-Rasheva

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,
    Reposting this from the other thread about Viking Village:

Thanks a lot for pointing out the different issues you've been having with Viking Village.
    We've put in some fixes which are live now:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29140
    (version 1.0.1760b)

This update contains fixes for the missing terrain material, the ineditable material properties, and some other minor ones. We've deleted the previous project version to avoid that the project reverts back to its older version.

Devil_Inside likes this.
  49. Nevulus

Nevulus

Demo scene now crashes for me on startup. Was working previously despite the missing textures, the latest version on the asset store now no longer starts up at all and instant crashes. I have sent in a packaged report of the crash.

50. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Unity RC3 and Asset Package V 1.0.1760b are working fine now.

Is it a bug or by design that all the materials have a black emissive color but Emission still set to '1'?