Search Unity

Video recorder in the Editor

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by MikeHergaarden, Jul 6, 2017.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

The video from Unite Amsterdam 2017 Keynote showed a feature to record video from the editor (Window -> Recorder).
    Is this feature available somewhere?

2. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

3. willemleunen

willemleunen

Thanks for this question and answer, I also noticed they mentioned it. After dowloading the feature from the Github source, how do I make it work? Just copy the files in my asset folder? Or do I need to do something else?

4. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Just copy and done.

5. Xaon

Xaon

Hi. I've just downloaded the GenericFrameRecorder and I have "The type or namespace name `fcAPI' could not be found" error. I've tried to google the issue but there is no info out there. Have anyone had a success installing the extention?

6. AndreiKubyshkin

AndreiKubyshkin

Xaon likes this.
  7. Xaon

Xaon

Thanks! It works!
    First test of the extention was, um, well... bad. But I've managed to record something.
    I don't know why, but when I start recording it switches the game view to portrait mode and the final output is streched horizontally. Also the video isn't rendered in in the video file resolution but the image is streched so recording in 4K is useless.
    So I understand why it's not integrated into Unity Editor yet.

Edit:
    I've managed to have a nice 1080p output using Maximize On Play switch in game view and higher Video Target Bitrate. In the end it's a nice feature to have :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. jasonm_unity3d

jasonm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

The easiest and official route to adding the Recorder to a project is through a package that comes with a release.
    The source code is not intended for direct use, but for development.

The releases can be found here:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/GenericFrameRecorder/releases
    When you select a release, under "Downloads", you should see a link to GenericFrameRecorder.unitypackage
    That is what you want to download and import into unity.

Alpha 1, build 4, is the latest but they are getting updated fairly often these days and for the next couple of weeks expect. Sometimes multiples per day!

The package also auto-detects FrameCapturer's presence and when it does, auto-unpacks integration scripts that enable the FrameCapturer's recorders. See https://github.com/unity3d-jp/FrameCapturer/releases. The integration scripts of the FrameCapturer's recorders is behind the actual FrameCaptuer's developement state.

Without the FrameCapturer package, recording output is limited to PNG, JPeg and OpenEXR. These are actually more of a demo Recorder that show how Recorders work in the GenericFrameRecorder framework. It being a host for Recorder plugin's that can be written to record anything in Unity, not just pixels.

The Frame Capturer add's Mpg (no sound even though FC does support that), GIF (animated), WEBM, A second PNG and EXR (exr integration is partial and does not offer all of the FC functionality).

If you encounter any issues that seem to be bugs or annoyances, please create issues at:
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/GenericFrameRecorder/issues

thanks

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Is there any way to export .mp4 with audio or do we need video editing software for that?

10. jasonm_unity3d

jasonm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

At the moment, You can use the FrameCapturer directly to record Audio and Video, outside of the context of the GenericFrameRecorder.

To do this, check out the Examples folder in the FrameCapturer package. You basicaly need to add some components to the camera that you which to record.

Triggering the recording from timeline will most likely need you to provide your own activation/deactivation scripts that get called by a timeline clip and enable/disable the FC's components on the cameras..

levlaj and JakubSmaga like this.
  11. ZpeedTube

ZpeedTube

Than you very much! That was exactly what I was looking for! :)

12. DGordon

DGordon

Can this be used to record a short film driven by a Timeline? Will this eventually make recording something like the Adam demo a fairly seamless and easy process?

JumpingGuy and username132323232 like this.
  13. fengweipeng

fengweipeng

14. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Video was supported, then it was removed because other team is working on it. It's going to be back in a few days/weeks.

Also if you download first version you can still record video.

15. DGordon

DGordon

Any idea if it will easily sync with recording from Octane?

16. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

If i think correctly, Octane has it's own Recorder for Unity.

(Picture taken from @_kzr Twitter)

17. ibyte

ibyte

If I wanted to record myself doing something in VR is this the package I would use? I wanted to setup an over the shoulder camera with CineMachine to record myself making something in VR and then play it back on a render texture as a guide.

18. ibyte

ibyte

Okay, thanks to Jacob I was able to get and install the FrameRecorder package.

Here is a screen shot of my settings.

upload_2017-8-28_20-20-43.png

A couple of observations/questions

1) When in the VR session and recording, it made my view have quite pronounced jaggies and i could detect noticeable lag.
    2) The resulting file has the video upside down
    3) The video has a lot of artifacts, particularly at the beginning when i was moving my headset around - perhaps due to the headset and the capture resolution not being the same?
    4) Why only GameDisplay and MainCamera?
    5) @jasonm_unity3d If you have any suggestions for recording in a VR session I would like to hear them.

Edit: I followed some advice farther up the thread and opened an issue on github with my questions

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    JakubSmaga likes this.
  19. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Recorder from Unity was made for offline rendering, Better use this for real-time recording: https://github.com/keijiro/FFmpegOut
    It was created by one of the Unity devs.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  20. ibyte

ibyte

@JacobSmaga Thanks for the pointer will give it a go.

21. ibyte

ibyte

Doesn't want to play nice with VR. Could be the way I set it up. I tried adding the capture script to the HMD, when that didn't work, I removed it and then setup a secondary camera but VR seems to take that over as well.

When the recording starts the scene just freezes.

22. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Try contacting twitter.com/_kzr He made the FFmpegOut.

23. ibyte

ibyte

From the README.md on github "On the other hand, FFmpegOut is not optimized for real-time capturing. It's not strongly recommended to use it in an interactive application."

24. JumpingGuy

JumpingGuy

Hey there,
    The recorder works great. I've been exporting my Unity Timeline and Cinemachine cameras - one exception though..

I'm using the Unity video player triggered by the Timeline and they aren't synced up right when exporting an image sequence with the new recorder. Is there a way to fix this and have the video player export frame by frame as well, in sync with what is on the timeline?

Apparently, it has to do with the timescale etc..

Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  25. jasonm_unity3d

jasonm_unity3d

Unity Technologies

The issue you are running into is that the VideoPlayer in unity is currently not capable of running at fixed frame rate. It's actual a big issue for the player as each platform has it's own native player implemantion (by the OS/hardware) most do not support this type of playback: being fed an external clock, which is what the recorder is doing by talking over the playback clock.

But, and I've not tried it, if you select variable frame rate in the recorder, the video should synch up.

JumpingGuy likes this.
  26. satch88

satch88

i will use external tool for this job... things must be easy .. we have a lot of work and during this we are losing time of how we can record with this "feature"... that's all folks

27. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hi,

I'm unable to download the Recorder from the Asset store and when I download it from Github there is no Video option whereas I'm on Windows 10. Is that normal ?

Thanks

28. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

29. Kiupe

Kiupe

Thanks !

When trying to open the tool I have a lot of errors - cf screenshot.

Attached Files:

30. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Unity version?

31. Kiupe

Kiupe

2017.1.0p4

32. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

33. olix4242

olix4242

This is quite normal - you have to understand that encoding a video via software in high resolution is heavy on processing - and mostly, it can't be done in realtime in high resolution. That's why capture cards exist - so that they can do this job without eating your resources.

34. ibyte

ibyte

I switched to RockVR VR Capture recorder in the meantime till Unity figures this out.

UnityFan18 likes this.
  35. UnityFan18

UnityFan18

Hello,

I also wanted to ask if there is any plans to add the following functionality to recorder. The ability to record movies with audio of portions of your editor and the ability to record individual editor tabs from the editor view? For example, in the future, perhaps you could record just the scene tab or the scene tab with the inspector.

I have been unable to get the GIF feature to work. I press record and move my first person camera. However, it continues to say 0 frames recorded. I am using Unity 2017.2 and am using the recorder from the asset store. Does anyone have suggestions? Here is the screenshot:

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 8.39.03 PM.png

In addition, are there certain things I must attach to my first-person camera first for it to be able to record a GIF/Movie properly?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  36. AndrewKiteCD

AndrewKiteCD

Hey devs,

I managed to implement the Recorder fairly easily and after some tweaks it is producing pretty good videos on Windows.
    I was wondering if you might have an ETA on when video support will be coming to OSX?

Cheers,
    Andrew.

37. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hi, this looks awesome!

Tried the version on the Asset Store with OSX El Capitan on 2017.1 and 2017.2.
    For WebM, GIF and OpenEXR I get the following errors after pressing the record button:

Edit: Unity 2017.3 + Unity/Movie record mode works really well. This tool is incredibly useful for people with slow computers who still want to record a high fps video. Great work guys.

Edit 2: enabling Capture UI does seem to mirror the UI vertically though.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  38. MacBoe

MacBoe

Any idea when the upside down issue will be fixed? Thanks.

39. filibis

filibis

When 'Eleven' kills the 'Mind Flayer'.

40. zwykly_wuj

zwykly_wuj

Hi,
    It's working flawlessly but Is it possible to record off screen buffers (depth, secular, etc) with this combo or I'll have to use something like Offline Render ?

khaled24 likes this.
  41. deluise4

deluise4

I'm new to Unity, and I haven't been able to figure out how to record my timeline with scripting. I've searched and searched, but to no avail. Do you have any idea how to create such scripts or where to find them in the package content?

42. EMOTION-THEORY

EMOTION-THEORY

I'd like to know this too, so I'm just bumping this.

There's another thread going -- actually, it's the official thread linked to from the Asset Store page. Here it is: https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-recorder-update.509458/

43. anilo

anilo

I'm getting an Upside down recording on MacOS for WebM and MP4.

Will it be fixed anytime soon?

44. Kelborn

Kelborn

Hi, does it work with IOS ARKit?

45. Nikolaj-UnityStudios

Nikolaj-UnityStudios

I can get the recorder to work in editor mode on windows, but it does not seem to be recording anything in builds. I am saving recordings to Streamingassets folder.
    Has anyone encountered this, and possibly found a solution?

46. alxndrhglnd

alxndrhglnd

I also can´t get the recorder to work. It did work for some time but one day... It was no longer possible to select video option unity. And it´s basically completely nonfunctioning. Anyone with same experience?

47. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

It looks like the package from Github was deprecated and replaced by the Package Manager one, Here's how to get it:

Go into your Project/Packages folder.

Open manifest.json

Add this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. {
    2.   "registry": "https://staging-packages.unity.com",
    3.   "dependencies": {
    4.     "com.unity.recorder": "0.2.4-preview"
    5.   }
    6. }
    You can find the new recorder under Window/General/Recorder.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  48. codegasm

codegasm

In case it saves someone some work it's good to know that the versions available on the package manager (0.2.0-preview through 0.2.4-preview currently) require at least version 2018.2 of Unity. So if you're on 2018.1 like me you're out of luck since the old versions from Github don't work properly on 2018.1 either. Shame because I've been using the Recorder with no problems for a long time on older versions of Unity.

Egil-Sandfeld likes this.
  49. jamesparksart

jamesparksart

Recorder Crashes Unity: (Compy specs: Intel Zeon e5-1620 v3 @ 3.5ghz, 32 GB ram, windows 7 professional 64bit, AMD FirePro W5100) So when I try to record in 4k, unity crashes due to drivers crashing (sometimes it just blue screen of deaths me instead). I have wiped out the drivers and replaced them twice. Everything is up to date: Unity, windows, packages, assets, etc... Lightmaps have been baked, not a large scene.. just crashes almost 80% of the time a press record. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you!