Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Very poor performance on Android after upgrading to Unity 5

Discussion in 'Android' started by digitalMUTANT, Mar 3, 2015.

1. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I use 5.3.1 but I have to say that Unity has to somehow try to improve mobile performace. I have the impression that their are trying to make visual better looking 3D fast to show that they are leading the competition that is very costing and works well on high end PCs but doesnt work well at mobile at all. Maybe use different solutions for mobile and other for desktops, I dont know...

MrEsquire and JamesArndt like this.
  2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well it's almost like the divide between what works on truly next gen PC platforms and our mobile devices is still pretty huge, even with the latest processors in mobile, etc. Unity has become huge (platforms supported, features, etc) and now the mobile development aspect is suffering, taking a backdoor to the next generation PC stuff. Odd because it wasn't PC development that blew Unity up in the public's eye. I started with Unity in 2008 and everyone I showed it to had never heard of it. The only folks who had used it or seen it at that point were others working on mobile console like myself.

It's almost like they need to break the product up into separate pieces of software that each focus on their own strengths...i.e. mobile development, high end PC development.

bluescr and MrEsquire like this.
  3. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Welcome back Giorgos, from recent issues, one can not help but to notice this. So do agree there definitly some competition going on. Not sure what Unity is thinking, the future is mobile, really is...! only people who make huge games on PC are well known studios

4. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

I think this is a wonderful idea. They can have 2 editors or 1 that splits the software inside the hood and give to mobile technologies that are designed for mobile and works really well.

5. Dantus

Dantus

This wonderful idea would destroy one of Unity's strengths which is multi platform support. If they are separated in a rigorous way, they would diverge very quickly and wouldn't be compatible anymore. That happened in the past.
    In order to keep them compatible, they need to have a common core with specialized implementations for the different platforms. And that's more or less how Unity is currently structured.

In Unity 5, they have made huge changes in that structure. The rendering, multi-threading and more got heavily modified. In order to get good performance everywhere, it is necessary to improve them, such that they are fast again on all platforms.

Splitting Unity up is not the solution to those problems.

Recluse, hippocoder and JamesArndt like this.
  6. giorgos_gs

giorgos_gs

Yes improvement is needed but the thing is that since they are racing to new technologies until they finally make this one work nicely in mobile they will change it again with something new made for high end PCs for competition and marketing reasons. This is what I fear.

7. Dantus

Dantus

The technology race does not only take place for high end PCs. There is also a race on e.g. high end mobile devices. We have tested the Standard shader on those kind of devices and it works surprisingly well on those, while I would never even try those shader on low end devices. Baked GI seems to work on those devices too according to comments I have read, though I haven't tested it.
    There is no clear feature cut that could be made among standalone and mobile. That's why I strongly believe the decision about what fancy features should be used has to be made by the individual developers. We have to clearly understand what we are doing!

The actual mentioned problem is that the baking quality and performance as well as the runtime quality and performance of baked maps is not good enough. There seem to be a lot of people who are having problems with that. I can't really comment on that, because I am not working with baked lighting on a daily basis.
    If the integration of Enlighten in Unity is not mature enough throughout the platforms, that's the actual problem. One may argue that they should not have used Enlighten yet or that they first should have focused just on baking shadows and AO and then focus on GI. There is likely a lot that could have been done better, but splitting Unity up because of that wouldn't have made sense in my opinion.

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I don't thinking literally breaking the software up is a good idea no, but maybe a toggle very similar to the editor settings for 2D vs 3D workflow in the same editor. Should kind of already to this when you set the editor to a mobile platform, but I guess it isn't properly enabling and disabling features that are too expensive for mobile? I mean sometimes in shaders you will see warnings like that, but....

Dantus likes this.
  9. Dantus

Dantus

That sounds interesting!
    All features are available, but there are performance warnings that help the user to understand that certain features have to used with caution. Some kind of a simple scene analyzer would have helped a lot in Unity 5.3. There were so many people who complained about the performance on old mobiles, but often they were using the procedural skybox, the standard shader or even both of them. I am not sure whether it would be feasible to maintain such a scene analyzer.

10. ev3d

ev3d

make the scene analyzer an add-on... I'd pay $500 to have a tool that did a really good job of detecting potential performance issues...

MrEsquire likes this.
  11. latas

latas

I wrote a post about this some weeks ago explaining the bad movement Unity did bringing us to a 5 release without being well tested and well developed. As you know Unity 4 has ended in 4.7, ( well 4.6.9 with a last 4.7 release ). Currently we're in the 5.3.X release and the stability and performance for Mobile releases is unbelievable. Because of that currently are developing in 4.7. Every developers, and designers made a big effort to prepare and update their assets to Unity 5. So we can not find too many assets ready for Unity 4.X. And there is no backward compatibility between Unity packages, so the result is great. Move to Unity 5 or move to Unity 5. I guess this Unity 5 release will be a transition release to Unity 6, which I hope will be a better release. Unity 5 is a big jump which even the Unity developers were not ready to take. I'm pretty sure one of the biggest performance problems for Unity 5 with mobile platform is physical materials and shaders. Too much expensive for mobile platforms.

spryx, elias_t, leni8ec and 1 other person like this.
  12. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

I'm not too sure about this.
    I'm using a bunch of standard shader materials in my current project, yet only with a color and/or an albedo texture, nothing more, metallic & smoothness 0.
    Sure if you use all sorts of effects it has to offer it's getting expensive.
    On my weakest phone i currently reach 24~28 fps with that setup. (though i'm sure with 4.x it'd pull 60fps easily, it's just that i make use of a few 5.x features...)
    Just today i made an attempt to switch all materials from standard shader to mobile-unlit-colored-textured-lightmapped and mobile-colored-textured-diffuse.
    What happened?
    I got 26~28 fps. So it's like nothing changed. (though the standard shader caused nicer lightmaps to be generated and could receive real time shadows if the smartphone is strong enough)

A big part of why it didn't make a difference in my case probably comes from them being lightmapped.
    But yet again, in this case it didn't really make a difference whether i was using mobile color multiplied texture (&lightmapped) versions or the standard shader.

I'm not yet entirely sure what is wrong.
    And i didn't get an answer to the bug report i've send a good while ago yet.
    But i really really hope this issue is getting resolved soon.

I also noticed in a few changelogs that some shadercaching? issue has been fixed, some opengl stuff and also for 5.4 in the latest version:
    "Graphics: Fix performance regression in dynamic batching on Adreno and Mali GPUs"
    I don't have a pro version and beta access currently.
    So has anyone tested this yet?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  13. docsavage

docsavage

Hi everyone,

Just come across this thread.

As a test I converted my project to 4.7 from 5.

I have added an options GUI button for adjusting graphics quality settings using - QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel(1, true); through to QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel(6, true);

I have only tested on desktop build and windows phone 8.1 on a windows 435.

One thing I noticed is that the quality settings options work under the Unity 5 build and the the game ran at around 44fps on fantastic settings and 60ish fps on fastest with an obvious visible change in graphics.

On the Unity 4 build I get no errors but the settings seem to do nothing. I am getting a constant 60ish fps on all settings but no visible change in graphics. I am not sure but it may be that 4 is defaulting somehow to the fastest quality settings(probably linked to shaders?).

I changed the code to make sure the default was fantastic quality. Then tested it. I then repeated making sure the default was fastest setting.

Same results.

Don't know if this is of use to anyone but maybe.

Thanks

doc

Edit: Forgot to add. Maybe something similar happens on other devices.

14. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

No more news?

15. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Its all gone quiet, guess we waiting for 5.4 final to see how things are.
    In mean time I see in the latest 5.3.3p2 patch been some Android updates.
    Still no performance specific information in changelogs.

16. Azmar

Azmar

I also was stuck at around 30 fps forever, and after doing EVERYTHING the thread said I only got it to 40 fps. Changing shaders between standard to mobile didn't seem to do much, sure GUI is horrible on performance and that needs to be worked on, but the best performance boost was in the terrain we were using. Messing around with terrain details literally changed project instantly from 40-60fps. I didn't see anyone else post any info on terrain causing them problems, so I am reposting this info and maybe someone else has this problem and just didn't notice it.

17. Shizola

Shizola

I too am in the special club of going from 60fps to 20 something on Unity 5.

Yesterday on the blog they say "We encourage you to open your project in the Unity 5.4 beta".

Then when you go to download it you read "Android: UI Input requires two touches to work".

I'd say that tells you how much they care about Android right now...

18. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

IF you read the changelog it says its a known issue, the Android thing.
    I would stick to Unity 5.3.4 version

19. Shizola

Shizola

I did read it, and I am sticking with 5.3.4.

But many people won't. And the fact that Unity thinks this is ok to encourage people to try 5.4 when it is currently unusable for Android developers is frustrating.

20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I get your point, but lets face it, Android has been the worst performing platform since the 5x days. So it should not be a shocker. After the pain and moans, Unity has done the correct thing and releasing 5.3.4 stable and 5.4 beta to public is best move they done so far and when 5.4 goes final we have something more stable and amazing (one hopes)

21. mattSydney

mattSydney

So is 5.3.4 working OK on Android? I have 5.3.3 at moment and it seems ok ish, apart from lighmapping which doesn't really work. I don't like upgrading as something else always seems to break

22. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Good to hear i'm not the only one with some lightmapping trouble.
    But 5.3.4 seems to be giving me slightly better performance on Android than 5.3.3.
    Seems to be on par with 5.4 from a single test-build i did, just that 5.3.4 is actually working. :p

mattSydney likes this.
  23. Player7

Player7

so I was testing on android again with 5.4b10 and it seems screen.setresolution does not work? did it ever work on android?

10fps at native resolution of 1080p on 4.7 inch screensize is a little retarded for mobile gaming imo...

fyi the 10fps.. is now 60fps after discovering this...http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ga...vices-like-samsung-a500g.379513/#post-2463184

no idea why unity would auto pick such currently crap performing api but there we go... I thought my performance woes was because the screen resolution differences from an older gen mobile and a newer one, but turns out it was gles3.0... my android performance problems resolved.. atleast for now.

24. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

I use unity 5.3.4 and fog has fps down problem
    In unity 5.2 I haven't this problem and in unity 4.7 without any problem
    Building Lightmaping is close unity suddenly without any reason in some scene and in my old unity 5 project
    I test graphics in same scene in 4 and 5:
    Unity 4 lighting is faster,better look,with great performance with light probs without any dynamic light like most cod games only one directional light affect on the weapon and cars in games
    I now an master of lighting in unity 4 with lightmaping and lens flare and fake sun shaft but in unity 5 I think I m an begginer level and pay a lot of time in unity 5 and my problems doesn't solved like:
    Lens flare doesn't affect by liner fog
    Lightmaping work in somtime and doesn't work in most time!!!!
    Performance drop by fog. alot of games has fog!!!
    Another performance issue's

My optimizing tips:
    Terrain must be 500*500. - important
    Terrain pixell error set to140-170. - Necessary
    Quality level set 1
    All static objects in chield of the one parent object and use static batching in player setting. - important.
    Use lightmaping and 1 texture lens flare like frostbite game engine. - most Beautiful
    Light probs work better than dynamic lighting without performance problems!!!! - recommended

I love unity
    Sorry
    About bad English. Guys. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    elias_t and MrEsquire like this.
  25. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Occlusion culling add a lot of lags to Android game in unity.I use this tool and work great like GTA games I use 3 layer.one for little items in scene.one for medium objects like house and walls.one for far object like tree.it's work prefect.for unity 4 download and open it in unity 5 and drag folder to unity 4. And it's work

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35100

It's tool for great lighting/lightmapping setting with great GI in unity 4 free version
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8683

26. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

The slower FPS after upgrading to 5.3 isn't due to mobile issues since I'm getting the same problem with a PC, and other people have reported the same thing after upgrading to 5.3. Some people have said they cleared it up by going back to 5.2. It's clearly a bug in 5.3.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

People need to learn standard shader isn't really mobile friendly, and they can easily change that if they want. All the fancy new features in 5 shouldn't be used if you want a high performing mobile title. In the cases where I examined projects from people suffering mobile performance issues, it was due to things like using procedural skybox or using standard shader, both which really murder mobile phones.

When we swapped those 2 things out we saw improvements like being the same speed as 4, or near enough. While there probably are perf issues - these will be situational bugs, so make sure people with bad performance don't assume it's just Unity somehow being slow. I'm not saying this is every case, but it's a large amount of projects I have seen.

Recluse likes this.
  28. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

But what causes the drastic FPS drop after upgrading to 5.3 even on a PC? My framerate was cut in half even though I hadn't changed anything, and other people have reported the same problem even with an empty scene.

29. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I would have to put it down to a bug if it "just happens" when upgrading ie same shaders as before... Unity's plan is to get faster, not slower! so if it's slower with same conditions and shaders as before, then that's a problem known as a regression.

30. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Just as an extra Strange Thing that happened after upgrading to 5.3: I thought if I added the WaterPro shader to my scene (the one that simulates both reflection and refraction and hence is a heavy shader) I assumed it would slow the framerate further, but instead the areas with the water shader are now faster (up to 90 fps vs 60-70 before) but the areas that don't have the water shader are now slower, sometimes dropping to 50-something (down from 60-70 before).

31. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I've actually found the standard shader to be fine for mobile devices. I have a graphically intensive game where almost everything is using the standard shader and it runs really nicely. I use SimpleLOD to merge skinned meshes (and bake textures and create LOD's), use baked light mapping and light probes (with 1 mixed directional light enabled for shadows). Not too much else in terms of optimization.

Escape Scene 2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

That being said, I mostly just use an atlased albedo texture and nothing else. So perhaps with just the 1 texture, there is little impact on performance? Do you think it would be worthwhile to switch to a legacy diffuse mobile friendly shader?

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

For just albedo I guess its fine. But when people mention standard shader, I usually think of them using quite a bit of the PBS.

33. Rusfighter

Rusfighter

The standard shader has a heavy light function, so if you bake the light (lightmapping), then the shader is not heavy for mobile.

Meltdown likes this.
  34. tripknotix

tripknotix

standard Shader for mobile all the way, its super optimized, even supports boxed projected reflection probes on lower end devices, but you gotta bake those LightMaps, lights and shadows just kill it with the draw calls and extra geometry.

Meltdown likes this.
  35. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Cool ... That's in line with what I've experienced. I've also noticed a significant drop in draw calls with 5.3. My scenes used to be around 100 draw calls with dynamic shadows but since 5.3, it went down to around 80 with no change on my end.

36. CircusCharlie

CircusCharlie

Hi I was facing the same issue when I moved to unity 5.

For me the following solved the problem
    I removed the default Skybox. And that gave me an fps boost.
    Earlier with only 2 buttons (NGUI) I got fps of 25 on my Nexus 7 (2012)
    After removing skybox I get fps of 60.
    Worked like magic for me. I hope this helps anyone who is facing the same issue.

xxhaissamxx and Meltdown like this.
  37. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

so standard Shader better than mobile Shader o_O ?

38. studentvz

studentvz

I raised my hands from Unity 5, but few days ago I gaved it another chance. I have Unity 5.3.4 and I'm using Unity Terrain (same scene, in Unity 4.6 works stable on 60fps without any problem). After turning off all new fancy things, all possible settings are adjusted to optimize performance, all shaders are Mobile/Diffuse, believe me, everything what is possible to turn off, remove, or change was made. At the begining I managed to get 55-60fps, but very quick my phone gets hot and performance drops, to about 25-45fps. This reminds me on using "expensive" shaders - I've encounter this kind of performance loss if I used expensive shaders. Almost the same bad result as from Unity 5.0. I've spent days on figuring out what could cause this but but still nothing.

Maybe there is some problem with terrain shader (legacy diffuse), maybe it was something changed from version in Unity 4.6?

So, I'm stucked to Unity 4 if I want to have game that performs normaly. But, there is no more support for Unity 4, developers build assets for Unity 5, all sort of crucial plugins are also build for Unity 5, I'm left with some bug that crashes my app and I can't do anything about it (both Admob and Facebook moved to Unity 5). At the other side, Unity 5 is nice, fancy and powerfull but it works 50% worse than Unity 4. What is the point then?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  39. Meltdown

Meltdown

I tried this and on Android I still get very low FPS with the standard shader with a baked scene. Is there something specific you are doing in the settings or the scene?

40. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

i m back to unity 5.1.4f and work better than newer versions in performance.
    unity 4.7 is best option for lighting and performance of a mobile game

41. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I had not only a drastic drop in framerate (on a PC) after upgrading to Unity 5.3, but it also steadily fills up all of memory (consuming up to some 8 GB) until my machine locks up and I have to reboot. When I first load it in, it starts at 1.8 GB (!) even though the build version is only 19 MB and the total size of ALL my current Unity files for all recent projects is a little over 2 GB. Then it gradually takes up more and more memory even when I'm not using it. If I click on any object in the scene view, it sometimes rapidly consumes a huge amount of memory; and the same thing now happens if I try to run it (although the latter problem didn't happen last night, so I have no idea why it keeps getting worse). Going back to 5.2.4 has the same type of problem, and the colors are also screwed up. I could try going back to 5.0.1 (the last version that actually worked) but that means a long process of downloading and rebuilding the library (which can take an hour or so).and then rebuilding it again if I have to go to 5.3 again.
    Does anyone have any idea what's going on, especially the memory consumption problem? My project is now unusable at a time when I'm in a desperate hurry.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  42. guzzo

guzzo

It seems like a programming mistake on your side, a big memory leak on an update function. If it is a problem of the Engine, I would guess it is a weird incompatibility with your hardware.
    Anyway, I don't know, but I can tell it is the first time I hear about that problem, so it is not common.

43. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

But it happens in editor mode, not just game mode; so it isn't something in my program. The problems started when it upgraded from 5.0.1 to 5.3 (without my consent, so I don't know how it upgraded).

44. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

After going back to 5.0.1 (which took three hours), the memory problem cleared up, but the framerate didn't. And I got a slew of seemingly random errors for scripts that hadn't been changed since I had last used 5.0.1.

45. ratking

ratking

It sounds your problems have a totally different source.

46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Some of the complaints are still related to older versions of 5, where there has been known issues.

Its only fair to say Unity have fixed some bugs, so upgrading to newer version 5.3.5 being latest and retesting project would be fair, if still performance is low, I suggest bug report.

47. UnityDev291

UnityDev291

Was having huge performance issues on Android with rendering live video in Unity 5.3.5f1 and just tried Unity 5.3.5p2 but same result (was all working well in Unity 4.7.1) and then came across this thread.

As with earlier suggestions, I've found setting the Android quality setting v-sync to 'every second V blank' solved my performance issues on Android (tested on Nexus 7 and Samsung Young II).

48. tripknotix

tripknotix

If it helps, i specifically went and grabbed the built in unity-shaders and created a copy of the shader, and just added 2 extra sub shaders, one was just for diffuse with simplistic reflections, the next one had specular reflections correctly, but then the default one i basically left alone. and then i use shaderLod to selection which one to use, and i also have an unlit lightmapped vertex color shader as well. I also added vertex coloring from the forum post that had it in the standard shader.

But really they optimized this shader to detect if your using opengl es2.0, to use very fast rendering techniques. its better than skyshop's mobile shaders, because skyshop doesnt have as many checks and switches for example, to fixed4. and skipping some complex calculations all together.

They really went the extra mile with this shader, it just unfortunately needs a little bit of editing to create lower end sub shaders for users to select from. Where as, unity doesnt do that extra shader LOD work for you, because they dont assume you create the work behind the scenes to detect if users are using es2 vs es3 or based on how much ram the device has..ect in order to choose the shaderLOD or simply letting users pick it from a menu.

49. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

lol i can't close 5.3.5 without crash for no reason

50. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Its unity 5 and 4 graphics compare

Its Unity 4 Lightmapping tests for android
    1.Lightmapping Extended

2.lighmapping

there is no reason for me to use unity 5 !!!

MrEsquire likes this.