Search Unity

Very low fill rates and eCPM

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Daragorn, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Daragorn

Daragorn

Since it seems i can't get any answer from the customer support from the UnityAds Admin console (i sent you an e-mail from there twice and still got no answer), i am trying to see if it works better here.

I recently started using UnityAds in one of my apps and, after the first 2 days it seemed to be great (i did 3$ with 150ish completed video).....but then the revenue basically stopped there....i served 600 more completed video (out of over 1200 started video) and my revenue was 71 cents.....

This means that, if we exclude that exceptional day where my eCPM was 28.3$ and i made 3% out of 70 showed ads (which is clearly and exception and can't be considered the norm, expecially considering the low numbers that day), i am actually getting a mean eCPM of 0$-0.5$.

Moreover, in those 5 days, i always had a fill rate around 25%, which is, once again, definitely not good at all.

Finally, another really weird thing that is happening, is that in the last 2 days i had more completed views than offers, according to the dashboard (see the attached pic).

Today it went even further......0 offers and 350 completed views......how is this possible???

I added a pic showing some info from my dashboard, but to summarize...here are my results in 5 days using unityads:

day1: 31 offers, 13 completed, 0$ income, 0$ eCPM,
    day2: 77 offers, 46 completed, 0$ income, 0$ eCPM
    day3: 90 offers, 54 completed, 3$ income, 28$ eCPM :D
    day4: 150 offers, 71 completed, 0$ income, 0$ eCPM
    day5: 246 offers, 357 completed (how is it???), 0.3$ income, 0.84$ eCPM
    day6: 0 offers (??), 314 completed (even funnier....), 0.48$ income, 1.5$ eCPM

All the 6 days i had a fill rate of 25%.

I am sorry to say that i will soon delete unityads from my apps because these numbers are definitely not worth it....25% fill rates and, to boost that, a very low eCPM too, is definitely not worth for video ads

Attached Files:

• ads.jpg
      ads.jpg
      File size:
      209.2 KB
      Views:
  2. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Keep in mind that the eCPM is an "estimated" Cost Per 1000 Impressions. You're still well under 1000 views.

Please check out the General Monetization FAQ sheet for more info.

Also, see this post for more details on how CSV Reports breakdown.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    Ornate_Owl and Databases like this.
  3. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Offers is not a reliable stat and should be removed. It is not triggered on iOS, should always be triggered whenever Show() is called on Android. However, there are instances where it doesn't get triggered, even on Android. The offer screen does not exist anymore, this is a leftover in the SDK that doesn't directly relate to anything.

As stated in the FAQ, we don't typically offer valuations until completed views reach at least 5000. More data is needed for the projected stats to be more accurate. As I pointed out in the post I linked to, starts and views are the only stats that are measured per instance. The other stats in the CSV are samplings counted every 13 and then multiplied by 13 to get the estimated measure.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Salazar likes this.
  4. Salazar

Salazar

Hello Daragorn,

Dont take it offence, I am just telling my opinion with my little experience with advertisement marketing model.

I just looked your google play game library, you did nice games over there, but you have to understand that Ad Marketing is about Mass Advertising.This ad network or that ad network 1$ up 1$ down. I dont think unity ads network customers or other ad network customers are paying 61561651$ dolars for showing 1000 views? 10000 views?
    You should show that ad to 1000000 or more users if you want to live with making mobile game. Unfortunately mobile game industry is more difficult now on.More competitors, even big companies in the game now.

Let me tell you something about advertisement with an example;

Grey's Anatomy was able to charge $419,000 per commercial, so how many people watched Grey's Anatomy to someone pay $419,000. (16 m people per week). You are showing your ad to 16m people per week.

I dont have 346236364223 downloads game in my library, but this is my opinion with this problematic situation.

Thanks,

chetan312 likes this.
  5. Daragorn

Daragorn

First of all, thanks for all the answers.
    I am glad to know i have not to worry about the "offer" stat then....it looked like i had something wrong going on since i couldn't understand why i had completed views but theoretically no offers to show. This, combined with 0 revenue from the last 700 completed videos started to feel like something really wrong was going on.

@Salazar: first of all, thanks for the compliments, i am trying to learn how to make good games (started programming just 7 months ago starting with no programming knowledge :D).
    I know that i am showing few ads and that i can't hope to make a living out of them unless they grow to much bigger numbers...however....i am subscribed to another forum where indie developers share their experiences and, according to what basically all of them say there, i am definitely doing too few money for the downloads i have (not only with unityads, also with admob) and i am trying to understand how is it possible.

I had 2k downloads in the last 2 days for my racing game (which is quite a feat considering i had no advertising and all are genuine downloads coming from word of mouth or searches on the store) and, yet, despite showing more than 2.5k interstitials and 700 completed videos, i made 2$ out of it.....on that forum there are people doing 50$ or more with the same amount of users.....ok, i am not saying i should make 50$, i would be already happy with 10$ :D

But, if i get 2$ with 1k daily users, then, i'll need more thank 30k daily users to get something decent out of it....and it definitely seems a bit too many at least according to other user experiences.

As i said, i am pretty new to this world, but i don't think i will ever be able to get 30k daily users with no advertising...and if you really need so many to get a salary out of it (i am not hoping to become rich, i would simply love to get enough to live with this), then it is a lost cause

6. soufiene

soufiene

Attached Files: