Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Vertex Painter

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reissgrant, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bpears

bpears

ok, thanks, I have one more question for ya. Does this tool works with the beast lightmap bake? I think it also colors vertex information. Thanks for the info, great product!

2. reissgrant

reissgrant

Yes! The tool works with beast lightmapping too. Thanks!

3. kenoy

kenoy

If I have a large level split up into smaller section could I then apply a different shader per section. The reason I ask is that I don't think 4 textures would be enough to cover our whole level terrain.

Cheers, K

4. Alf203

Alf203

EDIT: The situation is being resolved as Andrew has offered me the upgrade for free. Thanks.

I am one of the fools and unhappy customer who bought this a while back and would not like for anyone to fall in the same trap I did. Let me explain my issue.

Here is the story: The vertex painter cost 25$ ok great! And then we were promised and shown the update to 2.0 (so we could paint with the textures instead of colors) with the mention that the purchase included all future updates. I was waiting for the update (version 2.0) but now I see that version 2 is a separate product and that it costs 3 times as much as the first version ???

What is going on ? I sure would not be angry if I would have been told beforehand that all future updates were not free or that version 2 was a separate product and not an update to the current product. If it was a separate product, why first advertise it as an update for the vertex painter and why even mention that all future updates are free ???

What makes me mad is the fact that I have been told that all future updates are included when they are not. Its not about the money but its a matter of principle and keeping your word. The author could have increased the price upon release of version 2.0 but instead made it into another product and opted to try and make more money from the people that already bought from him and penalizing the ones that kept his product going in the first place. For me this is a slap in the face. I find this practice shady but what is even more shady is when someone says that all future updates are included and then they are not.

Ok so maybe he needed money but that does not justify making false promises to customers or tricking them. The author also replaced the first posts of his two threads with information pertaining to the version 2 and erasing everything about version 1. If version 2 was a different product why erase the info on version 1 in the forum. He should have created a new thread or mentioned that it is a separate product.

To summarize, here is why I am not happy:

-The version 2 was clearly advertised as an update to version 1 and not new product. If that was not true it should have been stated from the beginning.
    -The version 2 was shown as an update to version 1 in the same thread again reinforcing the idea that it is an update to the same product.
    -When version 2 came out, the author replaced the info from version 1 with the info from version 2. Another device use to trick customers. You can see a couple post above that a user both the version 1 by mistake but wanted to buy version 2.
    -When version 2 wasn't out yet, the author mentioned that buying the vertex painter entitled you to all future free updates. (proof below)
    -It is still not clear that version 1 and 2 are different products and is a scheme used to trick customers.

The author forgot to edit on of his posts were he clearly says that if you buy it now you get all future updates for free...Read it for yourself below. I also include the link to the post; and I would not be surprised if he edits the post, but if he does we will know since Unity will also display the date of the edit which is a proof no one will be able to argue.

You can see the post below that I put under quotation and it was
    way before version 2 was even out on the store as a separate product.

In conclusion, I've been had and probably others too. Not much I can do but I sure wont ever buy from this person again. Beware. I wouldn't be surprised if version 3 will also cost because it will be released separately.

---

The url for the post :

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/83277-Vertex-Painter-Skinned-Cloth-Weight-Painter-Vertex-Blend-Shader/page2?p=1029452&viewfull=1#post1029452

The post :

---------

EDIT: The situation is being resolved as Andrew has offered me the upgrade for free. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. im

im

i was honestly really interested cause i like to buy stuff on sale and that i dont have and could use and when i looked into it i did see 2 assets by the authors which were i thought very close i could not understand why there were two assets perhaps i thought i was form some reason i did not understand but then by chance i found this thread and i read the above and oh oh it does not sound good. looks like author perhaps tried to go around license rules about including all updates even as he posted... other authors give you updates and when they change they give you the new product that is replacing the old one.

so does anyone know if this is allowed or a violation of the asset store rules that authors enter into in order for them to sell on unity. i dont mean changing numbers i mean not grading customers... and leaving them with choice use old buggy release of buy a new release. if so what is the worth of getting all future updates and author saying this in his past post but not doing it...

look at cited post what does this mean then... is there some mistake going on...
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/83...rtex-Blend-Shader/page2?p=1029452#post1029452

anyways has anyone formally complained to unity asset store support they are very nice and will try to help you as far as possible. for im not buying this asset. i dont like trouble. i honestly was going to get it cause it was on sale and it looked good. but not any longer until this is resolved. i also recommend that anyone who did not get the update should contact the asset store and anyone who is interested in the asset should also contact the asset store cause the last thing we need is this version being abandoned bugs not fixed and then there is some version 3 coming out that we dont get and if we want the fixes well then we have to buy it again, but this time at a much higher price as is with version 1 and version 2 now...

sorry, but i like transparency and i like no nonsense... and i dont like to read posts like the above from customers...

such a shame i miss out on a sale for good cause i guess. still its on sale and i could use a vertex painter.. author please clean up the mess, and work to make your past customers happy and remember in business the customer is always right... no matter how nutty they are. else i just dont see how u will have many future customers, cause saying one thing, agreeing to do one then and then doing another is not very good for business... ;)

hopefully its just a little bug / misunderstanding, someone who fell through the cracks and that it will be quickly resolved. perhaps most customers got updated automatically and some poor customer didnt cause of technical glitch, email they didnt receive cause of spam filter or something... and its not something that was done to every loyal customer...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  6. reissgrant

reissgrant

I apologize for any inconvenience. If the asset store is not responding to your requests please private message me your information and I will personally send you the new download link with the new version!

Regards,
    Andrew

7. bigzer

bigzer

When do you plan to support DX11?

Also do you plan to make a parallax version?

8. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Will it be possible to bake the painted textures into a bitmap for adding to a low res model?

9. reissgrant

reissgrant

@bigzer: Yes, I am still planning dx11 shaders including parallax and others. Timetable depends on time. I will update this thread when I release them.

@DonGray: It is not currently setup to do that but I don't think it would be too hard to implement.

10. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Sweet!

Thanks!

11. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Just checking in, how's it going?

:)

12. insiderrr

insiderrr

Working with the vertex painter 2.0, but i get this purple shader problem. Does anyone know how i can fix this ?

Attached Files:

13. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

My guess is you are working in DX 11 and the shader is not compatible.
    I've written the author a couple of times about this, maybe you should too.

Edit: Haven't been to this topic in quite a while, I see it is on his list of things he will implement.

14. insiderrr

insiderrr

thanx for your replay, even when i turn off DX11 the purple color appears. I used a clean scene with the latest unity build, but that won't solve the problem.

I wonder why there are no other people with this issue, it's really annoying.

15. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hmm, not sure what is going on.
    If I revert from DX 11 to DX 9 in this present scene, I am getting the same issue.
    If while in DX 9 mode, I open a scene with some of the shaders from Vertex Painter used, they are normal.

16. reissgrant

reissgrant

Vertex Painter has been updated to 2.0.1

Fixes include dx11 compatible shaders and some console warnings fixed.

Please allow a few days for the update to hit the store. If you purchased on my site and did not receive the email, PM me and I'll send it to you.

17. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Super will give it a run Unity 5b.

18. mr_grimm_6

mr_grimm_6

Any word on Unity 5 compatibility? and does it work for mobile?

19. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Hi,
    In the past, after I started using version 5 of Unity, I was having issues using more than two VP textures on an object.
    Using more than two textures would turn the object pink. I just tested it on a plane and Pro Builder cube and this seems to no longer be happening. Don't know if it's my setup, Unity or VP that has changed but as I said on this simple test it seems to be fine. Looking at it, I am not sure the VP shaders support PBR, but I am only going by appearance.
    Think I'll write the author and ask him about this.
    I know nothing of whether this is mobile friendly.

mr_grimm_6 likes this.