Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Mono Upgrade v5.5.0b7 - Project instant crashes when choosing v4.6 API Compatibility Level

Discussion in 'Experimental Scripting Previews' started by strich, Oct 15, 2016.

1. strich

strich

Bug: Case 841552

I like to test our game War for the Overworld, for science, whenever a new Mono Upgrade beta pops up. Two hours of library building later I have some bugs for ya'll! Enjoy.

Almost the moment I select the v4.6 API compatibility level the project instantly crashes. The Editor.log provides no information at all sadly. The good thing is that if I manually set the compatibility level via the ProjectSettings file, and then reload the Editor, it will compile fine. Our project has a number of DLLs, both native C and C#, and have always caused UE to crash when recompiling during play mode - So it is likely that for whatever reason not everything is being correctly unloaded prior to switching to v4.6.

2. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, i just downloaded the new version and i am having the same issue... Not able to switch to 4.6 in this release as well like in the previous... And i want to test some new feature in C# sooo bad :D

VS shows an address where it crashes - if it helps to the devs !

5_5_VS_DBG.png

3. Dizzy-Dalvin

Dizzy-Dalvin

Yeah, I get this too. Even though it's already set to .NET 4.6, when I try to re-select it from the dropdown Unity crashes.

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Thanks all, we'll investigate this bug report!

5. JJJohan

JJJohan

I've attached a crashdump for you guys. The callstack is a bit odd, as if it's crashing writing to a log file?

Code (CSharp):
    1. >    mono-2.0-sgen.dll!abort() Line 77    C++
    2.      mono-2.0-sgen.dll!mono_log_write_logfile(const char * log_domain, GLogLevelFlags level, int hdr, const char * message) Line 137    C
    3.      mono-2.0-sgen.dll!monoeg_g_logv(const char * log_domain, GLogLevelFlags log_level, const char * format, char * args) Line 112    C
    4.      mono-2.0-sgen.dll!monoeg_g_log(const char * log_domain, GLogLevelFlags log_level, const char * format, ...) Line 123    C
    5.      mono-2.0-sgen.dll!mono_gchandle_get_target(unsigned int gchandle) Line 315    C
    6.      Unity.exe!CustomPopupMenuInterface::Execute(const MenuItem & menuItem) Line 111    C++
    7.      Unity.exe!MenuController::ExecuteMenuItem(MenuItem & item) Line 304    C++
    8.      Unity.exe!ShowDelayedContextMenu() Line 904    C++
    9.      Unity.exe!GUIView::OnInputEvent(InputEvent & event) Line 2313    C++
    10.      Unity.exe!GUIView::ProcessInputEvent(InputEvent & event) Line 39    C++
    11.      Unity.exe!GUIView::ProcessEventMessages(unsigned int message, unsigned __int64 wParam, __int64 lParam) Line 1093    C++
    12.      Unity.exe!GUIView::GUIViewWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message, unsigned __int64 wParam, __int64 lParam) Line 1305    C++
    13.      user32.dll!00007ff955405e60()    Unknown
    14.      user32.dll!00007ff955405925()    Unknown
    15.      Unity.exe!MainMessageLoop() Line 368    C++
    16.      Unity.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst, HINSTANCE__ * hPrev, char * szCmdLine, int nCmdShow) Line 1024    C++
    17.      Unity.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 275    C
    18.      kernel32.dll!00007ff9556aef44()    Unknown
    19.      ntdll.dll!00007ff9558ef411()    Unknown

Attached Files:

6. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@JJJohan

Excellent, thanks! This is actually an assert in Mono, not really a log message. We must be hitting some code path that was not present before. We will track this down.

7. aybeone

aybeone

For what it's worth,

I've been able to test the experimental build by first enabling .NET 4.6 in a project using 5.5.0b4, then I opened the project with 5.5.0b7 :)

8. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@aybe

Thanks for the information. I think that we have tracked down the cause of this issue, and it should be corrected in the next preview build.

9. aybeone

aybeone

Thank you, it's really exciting to be able to leverage .NET 4.6 :)