Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Isometric 2.5D Toolset

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BlackMat, Jan 16, 2015.

1. exlineo

exlineo

Hello, I use your code but in use there's problems with objects stacks. There's a way to hold objects on Y to ?
    In the same way, I animate objects sliding on the level but I'm unable to set the coordinate to keep them always visble.
    Thank you in advance for any help

2. BlackMat

BlackMat

You can change position by any your rules specifically for your game %) I don't understand what do you want :)

3. Galahad

Galahad

Good evening. I need the Tiled Map importer urgently. Could I grab an older version of it so I could use this?

4. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello! You can try tiled2unity. Or wait for internal TiledMap support. Better way not use older version... because 3rd major version is better in all aspects (also old version internal TiledMap support has many problem and new version will be other and better)

5. Galahad

Galahad

I'll wait for your update since it imports the Tiled file with all components already in place.

Regards

6. guinea6

guinea6

hey, i would like to have 2 world in one scene and make it explorable by the characters.
    can i do that?

what is the structure to make that applicable?
    where do i put 2nd world? below the first world or on separate hierarchy?

7. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello! Yes, you can do it. Look at "Scene09" example :)

> where do i put 2nd world?
    In scene root for example

> below the first world or on separate hierarchy?
    separate

8. erich202

erich202

Hi Blackmat,

I'm having a couple issues, but maybe the others stem from this first one. In the demos, the character keeps falling down (demo 7), due to gravity. Same with this one:

http://matov.me/public/blog_share/ReleaseGif1.gif

There's no way I can play the demo the way shown in that GIF because the character has constant gravity applied, and it's weird.

Edit: Imported into a fresh project and still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Eric

Edit: Nevermind. Found the post you made about changing gravity settings.

Ugh - this REALLY should be in the readme dude. Huge waste of time.

And it doesn't make sense, to me, either. Games like Diablo are designed isometric, but 1. there is no gravity. 2. movement is left to right, gravity would be top to bottom, because that's what the player would expect for these types of games (I don't know what kind of games would be angled like this actually, although not relevant). I wonder how this is going to affect my 3D model interactions.

Edit: I'm tired of trying to get this working, I'm sure it works well for some people, great, unfortunately no go here. Can you please refund Order #OR303068138? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  9. BlackMat

BlackMat

About gravity:
    Gravity it's unity project settings and I can't change it on install of plugin. I can make property for IsoObject but it's will be dublicated functionality.

> but 1. there is no gravity
    You can disable gravity if it not needed for you project.

> I wonder how this is going to affect my 3D model interactions.
    Examples contains scene with 3d models.

10. guinea6

guinea6

ya it could be done, 2 world in a scene, but where to put the character.

i make 2 world with different angle. 45 and 90. this is what i found.
    the characters need iso world (to get the physics and provided controller).
    the characters can only follow same world angle to walk on a collider.

so, yes you can build 2 different angle world, but the character can only walk on one of them. the character cant walk on any of the world when i gave different angle from those 2 worlds. or can you make it walk on both?

documentation on the function of the script might help, like description of tile size, step depth, etc.
    thanks

11. BlackMat

BlackMat

> or can you make it walk on both?

character can walk only one world, because different worlds have different settings, different projection, grid coords and etc.

> documentation on the function of the script might help, like description of tile size, step depth, etc.

Some documentation you can found -=here=-. But yes, it's badly documentation :(

12. BlackMat

BlackMat

13. exlineo

exlineo

Hye Blackmat,

After installing a package, projects settings where changes. A set back gravity to -9,81 on Z but the rigidbody pass throw the floor... Weird. Any clue to help me ?

Thank you in advance

14. BlackMat

BlackMat

Check "Assets/IsoTools/Examples/Scene01" it must working good :) (with 0;0;-9.8 gravity of course)

15. exlineo

exlineo

Thank you for your help but the original scenes are bugged to. Any clue to help me ? Nothing change in the asset may be a project parameter ? I'm unable to find, everything seems ok

16. exlineo

exlineo

Logical... The problem was in project settings...the layers collision matrix was modified :/

17. BlackMat

BlackMat

Congratulations :)

18. edman3d

edman3d

Hi there, I recently bought this asset and I am loving it, however I was really excited about the Tiled integration & I can't get it to work.

The supplied video in the README uses files that don't come with the asset, and following those instructions Unity does not create the extra asset when dragging the files into Unity that actually generates the map.

(video from README:
    )

I have a .tmx map file made, how do you get this to work with the asset in Unity? Is the README info outdated?

Thanks!

19. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello edman3d! Yes, unfortunately README is outdated and new major (v3) version not contains Tiled integration. But it is in my TODO file and in near feature it feature will be in the plugin again.

20. shadow-river

shadow-river

Hi, I am looking at buying this product but first I need to know how you would go about generating a grid for an isometric turn based strategy game. for a normal 2d grid you just loop through offsetting the x and y.... but for this would you need to consider the z as well? Are you able to give a simple example how you could achieve this using your kit.

21. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello. All objects in isometric world have isometric coordinates (x,y,z) it's look like 3D but with 2d sprites and smart sorting. Your grid it's simple (0,0,0), (1,0,0), (0,1,0) isometric coords.

22. pageInwZa

pageInwZa

when the player walk by changing position(x,y) in IsoObject and should fall down from the tile by gravity, but it doesn't fall and keep walking on the air, until I stop holding arrow key then it can fall down. how can i fix this ?
    ps. it falls down normally if based on transform, not IsoObject.
    ps2. i don't want physics here, so not gonna use rigidbody velocity.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  23. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello!
    You can use AddForce from IsoRigidbody component or something like common physics. It's common 3d physics engine, not magic. Also you can disable physics and control your characters manually without any physics interactions.

pageInwZa likes this.
  24. pageInwZa

pageInwZa

the player get stuck between tiles when they jump on it (no prob jumping on tile itself)
    ps. the problem is not box collider size of the player or tiles.
    ps2. the method to jump was AddForce.

25. BlackMat

BlackMat

Physics body penetrate into floor and break correct sorting. You should make physical body little more (by size) than the isometric bounds and it will fixes.

26. pageInwZa

pageInwZa

By physical body, you referred to which component ? Like, Transform, IsoObject, BoxCollider, or something.

27. BlackMat

BlackMat

BoxCollider :) Look at physics sample for example.

28. pageInwZa

pageInwZa

btw this is called sorting right ? i mean, the player's sprite should be in front of the floor but it gets behind.
    is there anything i can do to correct it ?

29. BlackMat

BlackMat

Not look like sorting right :) Bounds floor or player is incorrect. If you send me project I'll answer more details.

30. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Hi @blackmat

Can you implement a method like MouseToIsoObject which use mouse position and isoquadtree to find isoobject under mouse or return null if not ?

Will helpful for manage height ground
    thk

31. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hi! Yes, I can do it :) I'll add this feature to TODO list.

32. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

33. Aggo

Aggo

Hi blackmat! I just wanted to ask you something. I know it's not possible to use complicated shapes effectively but... Can I mix simple "forward facing" objects from a top down perspective into the isometric environment? Like the wall circled in this image. With functional collision detection.
    EitrExample.jpg
    In any case. Thanks a lot for the amazing toolkit and the support :D

Jhon_smith023 likes this.
  34. Extrakun

Extrakun

Hi,

Is it possible to have a sample to show how to click on or tap on an IsoObject?

35. BlackMat

BlackMat

It depends on your map structure and game logic. You can use physics colliders and raycasts. Also you can use you structure of game map and use IsoWorld.MouseIsoTilePosition function for detect tile under mouse.

36. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Hi @blackmat ,

I want to my positions tile depends of my isoworld so I have modified IsoWorld.cs :

Code (CSharp):
    1.         void UpdateIsoMatrix()
    2.         {
    3.             _isoMatrix =
    4.                 Matrix4x4.Scale(
    5.                     new Vector3(1.0f, tileRatio, 1.0f)) *
    6.                 Matrix4x4.TRS(
    7.                     transform.position,
    8.                     Quaternion.AngleAxis(90.0f - tileAngle, IsoUtils.vec3OneZ),
    9.                     new Vector3(tileSize * Mathf.Sqrt(2), tileSize * Mathf.Sqrt(2), tileHeight));
    10.             _isoRMatrix = _isoMatrix.inverse;
    11.         }

But I have strange behaviour with that. what's wrong ?

Also next version soon ?

Thks

37. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Hi @blackmat ,

Sorry, I need a quick answer about my ask because I'm blocked, thks.

38. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello @lenneth78!

It feature is not easy. It will take a lot of changes (physics, custom editors and gizmos etc) I recommend that you rewrite the game's logic without this feature.

39. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Thks for reply.

I am surprised that you can not have a global offset for isoworld (even independent of transform) which is reflected in the isoobjects position.

Modified :
    • public Vector2 IsoToScreen(Vector3 iso_pnt)

• public Vector3 ScreenToIso(Vector2 pos)

• public Vector3 ScreenToIso(Vector2 pos, float iso_z)
    are not enough ?

40. BlackMat

BlackMat

No, because global transformation of child IsoObject in screen view (transform.position) also depends on parent transformation. And this introduces additional difficulties.

41. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

@blackmat
    Ok, so for be sure, I can not have this ? ( iso 1 et 2 are isoworld type and bottom left of each square is 0,0 of isotile position)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  42. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Hi @blackmat

I found a solution for my problem which is to add the offset to my internal position system but it works only for me.
    I recommend you to think to add an offset feature to isoworld to the next big update.

BlackMat likes this.
  43. radiantboy

radiantboy

Is there any easy way to have this asset so it scrolls around, so your city can be bigger than the screen? I want to buy but I want to know for sure if that is going to be difficult or not.

44. BlackMat

BlackMat

Of course you can do it :)

45. radiantboy

radiantboy

Great toolkit so far, my only problem is if I build for Android the tiles are all messed up (run it in unity its fine, make android build, then run it again in unity its messed up, android build also messed up), they appear on top of each other etc. Has anyone seen this with Android and know how to fix?

46. djann25

djann25

Hello,

I have tried several different ways to handle projectiles without success.

I'm looking to fire the bullet and have the bullet continue with momentum.

Do you have a recommended way of handling this with your framework?

Thanks

47. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello! It depends on your game. Some ways:
    1) Raycast and visual effect
    2) Physic rigidbody for slow bullets and check it collisions

48. djann25

djann25

Hi , thanks for the response, but I was looking for more details.

I tried to create a bullet from the player from Scene01.

When I created a ray cast , the Debug.DrawRay did not line up with the isometric world. The beam did not go foward across the tiles. It went into the tiles.

I had problems instantiating a new rigid body for my bullet too. I did not know where to set the coordinates of the bullet in front of the player and then to have the bullet continue its momentum foward. For this scenario, I had a difficulties setting the bullet in front of the player.

Thanks

49. Diane0fTheMoon

Diane0fTheMoon

Is there any way to force a particular sort order if I have multiple tiles at the same coordinates?

50. BlackMat

BlackMat

Hello! :)
    Attach this tile sprites to one IsoObject and sorting manually with help Z world transform coord. Also you should enable 3d mode for this IsoObject.