Search Unity

[NEW PATCH] uNature - GPU, Interactable Grass. Interactable Trees, MultiThreading and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ElroyUnity, Apr 29, 2016.

?

Pre-release Integrations

Poll closed Nov 29, 2016.
  1. TerrainComposer2

43.1%
  2. GAIA

54.9%
  3. GENA

49.0%
  4. World Creator

13.7%
  5. World Streamer

37.3%
  6. Map Magic

27.5%
  7. Landscape Builder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. SkyMaster ( Weather )

7.8%
  9. InfiniGrass, AFS, DX11 (Integration will provide built-in shader support)

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Not home, but you didnt include uNature in the package did you? :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

They did.

3. simonjewell

simonjewell

I wanted you to try the project as it came off my PC, just in case there was something iffy about the version of uNature I was using, or the FoliageDatabase, or the materials or... well anything I suppose!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  4. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Then PM the link, don't put it out in the public. People can grab that link and download a paid asset.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  5. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

I really don't want to sound rude, but I really dont know what to say now, you could have just pm'd me...

Please remove the link from your message.
    Yep...

6. creat327

creat327

you still have the link on the "[" character

7. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, Elroy!
    I checked your Trello, seems the integration with MapMagic is completed and need testers, may I ask a beta version to run the test?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  8. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey, absolutely!

PM me with your invoice and email and I will add you :)

9. recon0303

recon0303

Is it possible to get more mobile testers Elroy?? Seems i'm the only one willing to test for mobile.. Yet to get replies after I send people APK's... Would be great. I know there is not many, but maybe if you advertise it, that we need more with tablets for sure. Just to get a few more people . if possible , Thoughts? Even if its one or two others, willing to actually report back would be great.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  10. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Absolutely...
    I will see what I can do about it.

recon0303 likes this.
  11. recon0303

recon0303

Thanks.!

12. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Interesting suite of tools!

I'm looking for a GPU instancing tool for placement of geometry grass and rocks with potentially random rotations and align to normal functionality. Also, if possible, some sort of lighting being applied. It seems UNature can do some of what I need, but what about lighting within the shaders? Object rotation?

Thanks!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  13. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

Thanks for your nice words! loving your tools as well ;)

uNature could handle any kind of a mesh as long as its only 1 mesh per object and 1 material (Could be expanded in the future)

That means that you can use rocks, grass, or really anything you want as long as its 1 mesh and 1 material.

Also, yes uNature indeed support lighting hehe and also object rotation, random width and random height.

But again, please notice that you must have 1 mesh and 1 material :)

14. Harekelas

Harekelas

Quick question: does uNature's tree system support SpeedTree?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  15. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

The trees system doesn't do any custom rendering yet. It only adds colliders so you can interact with each tree.
    A custom rendering solution for trees is planned but for now I am focusing more on the grass aspect :)

16. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

Can I destroy trees with military tanks or trucks with this asset? o_O
    So, that the tree falls when I ride a tank over it.

Does the grass support real-time deformation from vehicles?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  17. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

I love the grass copy speed in the beta. 2^km takes 1 minute instead of 15!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  18. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yep for both :D

Happy to hear! Will try to optimize it even more ;)

19. sprout_steamrollerstudios

sprout_steamrollerstudios

Hi, we're using uNature 2.1. I'm having an issue with projections not showing on uNature grass. We are using a projector for cloud shadows in our world. I've verified that the grass is rendering to the correct layer, and everything else on that layer receives the cloud shadow projection. But the grass shows no difference.

I saw earlier in this thread you mentioned to check the shaders. The shaders have the "IgnoreProjector" = "False" tag. I've even removed the tag all together, but either way there's no projections on the grass.

Is there something else I can try? Or is this a known issue?

Thanks!

ElroyUnity likes this.
  20. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey,

Indeed its a known issue and for now there's not really a fix because of the way unity's projector is built.
    I am working on a workaround tho...

hopeful likes this.
  21. sprout_steamrollerstudios

sprout_steamrollerstudios

Ah ok, thanks for the quick reply! I would definitely love to know when you do have a work around available. The grass looks great in scene, but of course in places that the shadow projection shows through from the terrain underneath it, make the grass look out of place. But if that gets fixed, it'll look beautiful.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  22. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Absolutely,
    I hope to get it before the release of V2.2, if not then most likely early V2.3 beta :)

23. wood333

wood333

Two questions:
    1. I am getting an undesirable row pattern when I place grass with uNature. Thus:
    Rows.JPG

2. When I place the grass and play, the colors appear brighter than the healthy/dry colors would suggest.

Can you help me understand these issues.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  24. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey!

Regarding the pattern issue - actually fixing that as we speak in the beta lol, will have it pushed later today.

Regarding colors - that's strange, can you show me an example?

25. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey guys - sorry for being so quiet,
    V2.2 is coming along VERY well, infact I am 2 tickets away from completing it (Videos will be done when in submission phase)
    https://trello.com/b/I4kqOpDC/unature

I mostly write about the progress on slack so if you didn't join yet feel free to do so :)
    http://eeproductions-unature.signup.team/

Some stuff to note -

1) New demo is done with HUGE thanks to @turboscalpeur for providing some of his grass assets, I will also end up adding it as a playable demo to the forums when V2.2 is submitted :)
    2) Finally FIXED the terrain copying issues - As you know it was very buggy in the past few weeks/months and now its fully stable :)

And well... LOTS more :) Feel free to check the trello that's linked above and post some of your suggestions in the comment section here/ in trello :)

masa045, Stormy102 and turboscalpeur like this.
  26. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

I've got a quality of life feature request.
    A button to click that would go through all the manager instances in the scene and automatically destroy all those that contain no grass. Would save loads of time on big maps, and reduce the total scene file size in the process.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  27. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Brilliant!

Will add :)

Stormy102 and Ninlilizi like this.
  28. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Just tried it out. Works beautifully.... You've saved me some sanity :)

hopeful and ElroyUnity like this.
  29. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hehe happy to know :D

malkere likes this.
  30. negativecap

negativecap

I need background trees. Lots of them. They don't need colliders or whatnot. uNature should be able to do this perfectly but you have indicated that it doesn't work with trees and there doesn't seem to be the possibility of turning down the density enough to make it look right. Any thoughts?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  31. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

uNature only adds colliders for trees, not performance (for now)
    For grass its a completely different story.

So I don't think uNature will help with your trees performance by a lot unfortunately :/
    There are other solutions for that though like AltTrees.

When I make uTrees (and I will) it will hopefully optimize trees by a huge amount and will fullfil your wish, but for now unfortunately uNature wont be able to do it :/

TheSeawolf likes this.
  32. hopeful

hopeful

Can you give a slightly more detailed answer as to why it won't work? Or will it work for this one circumstance, but not for most?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  33. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Basically the reason why trees can't be treated as grass in the system is because it currently only supports 1 mesh and 1 material per grass type.

Using more than that will simply not be efficent for grass and will be slow. For that kind of a usage I plan to make the trees system which will allow you to use as many meshes and as many materials and still work properly.

hopeful likes this.
  34. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey guys -
    Going to most likely submit V2.2 today and then finish up the video tutorials (Was waiting on V2.2 to be completed)

V2.2 is really really amazing with a lot of new features and it should have honestly been V2.0 but hey, at least we are there now :)

V2.3 will be even better so stay tuned!

(Changelog will come later today when its submitted)

Stormy102 and dashasalo like this.
  35. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

What's the optimal workflow for worldstreamer now?

Do I uNaturefy the terrain before or after splitting?
    Should I add a manager to each split scene manually? on the play scene? How much is handled automatically?

ElroyUnity likes this.
  36. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Good question, you should basically use uNature before splitting but I plan to make it fully automatic for V2.3 :)

37. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

uNature V2.2 has finally been submitted!

You can see full changelog here:
    https://trello.com/b/I4kqOpDC/unature

And get the version before it's accepted by messaging me your invoice privately.

Furthermore, now there are 2 demos included in the asset store page for windows, feel free to give feedback!

ForestDemo - https://mega.nz/#!2IRBnTjA!iJ5h8k6kRzkT0yL_C9I_aYnKAdwdpa--AgIJfhz2l0I
    Controls are visible at the top left. Note that I made sure not too use too much grass so it wont be too heavy on really old machines and that's why you might not see TOO much of a performance boost. Using 250 view distance instead of the current amount (100 if I recall) I was able to get much better boost results. But eitherway it should show you the overall benefits of uNature :)

Runtime editor demo - https://mega.nz/#!aZZgmDqD!oOOxa_AQjxoLW5sZTv0PTiY-Uhep92sWS4eWYz8l9VE
    Controls are again very simple, in order to paint select a prototype/ prototypes (hold ctrl for selecting more than one) and also select a brush.

Note that in order to remove grass you will need to decrease "Erase density" to 0 and hold shift. (Similar to UE4's painting)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    turboscalpeur and docsavage like this.
  38. HellPatrol

HellPatrol

I tried the ForestDemo and iam a bit dissapointed. I thought uNature can give me a performance boost. Or is my graphics card the bottleneck here?
    uNature:

Unity Grass:

ElroyUnity likes this.
  39. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey - that's a first one
    That could probably be the case as uNature heavily focuses on the gpu to reduce overhead from the cpu.
    On my machine for example I get 120fps with uNature and around 89fps with unity. (And much higher difference when using bigger draw distances)

What are your specs?

[Sorry I am blind didn't see it on the picture lol... I will go ahead and figure it out, your graphics card shouldn't be the issue honestly. Thanks for the report!]

Thank you very much for testing btw!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    HellPatrol and turboscalpeur like this.
  40. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

@HellPatrol Sorry for double post, but seems like I figured it out -

Did you disable the uNature lods accidently? (L)
    It seems like you also enabled shadows which explains the HUGE fps issues please disable them on F2.

You had me worried there!

41. HellPatrol

HellPatrol

I tested it again, I changed no settings. ~50fps uNature / 45-50 fps with unity grass. With shadows it drops down to around 20-25fps.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  42. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yes shadows are VERY heavy and not recommended unless you are targeting beast pcs OR using very low densities.
    In the demo case its pretty medium-high density so it works very poorly there.
    But happy you are gaining some performance non the less :)

V2.3 will focus heavily on GPU optimizations so hopefully it should be less heavy on the gpu :)

HellPatrol likes this.
  43. hopeful

hopeful

Screen space shadowing seems to be the solution for grass shadows. I hear the performance is excellent. Not sure if you've looked into it.

Stormy102, ElroyUnity and HellPatrol like this.
  44. HellPatrol

HellPatrol

Thanks guys. I keep that in mind. I have a top down view and some ssao give me pretty good results without using shadows.
    But I try to get my hands on screen space shadowing

ElroyUnity likes this.
  45. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yep I agree, the normal cast shadows as I said before should only be used in certain circumstances and for others, screen space shadows will work better :)

46. Stormy102

Stormy102

I know that @sonicether does a nice Screen Space Shadows implementation on the Asset Store here https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/77836

ElroyUnity and hopeful like this.
  47. hopeful

hopeful

Stormy102 and ElroyUnity like this.
  48. Stormy102

Stormy102

I'm always wary of having to modify core Unity files tbh because its a nightmare for source control :(

ElroyUnity likes this.
  49. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey guys going to have to delay the release of the new version in 1 day, found a memory leak and a map magic issue that I must fix, will resubmit today! :)

masa045, Stormy102 and malkere like this.
  50. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey guys - forgot to update but V2.2 has been resubmitted yesterday with a lot of fixes (mainly optimizations and memory fixes)

What I want to ask you guys for V2.3 is about this card - https://trello.com/c/bM9V2w2d/171-create-presets-for-the-foliage-management

Basically I want to allow it so you can have different presets for prototypes, so you don't have all of your prototypes on one database.

Now, would you guys prefer:

1) Preset
    2) Unique database for each scene

Thanks for your feedback as always! :)