Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[V1.03] Enchanted Edge, particle effects for melee weapons

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ifurkend, Jul 1, 2016.

1. ifurkend

ifurkend

Thy hammer's common no more.
    'Tis Thor's Hammer, Mjölnir!

Enchanted Edge is a Shuriken particle effect library for adding looping buff or elemental effects to your weaponry or if you only need an instant ethereal pillar. It does not contain non-built-in script or shader out of concern of compatibility. Only mobile-particle additive and alpha blended shaders are used.

Elements commonly seen in existent fantasy games are covered in this package: Regular buff, fire, ice, lightning, wind, water, holy, darkness, toxin, arcane, wood, earth. Each has 2 power tiers.

Also 3 variants of weapon types primarily built for straight sword, hammer and arrow, all of regular length. You can change the particle emission shapes for fitting the effect on dagger, spear, cane, rod, axe, scythe, knuckle, etc.

Each effect is composed of a "sustaining" effect, a "swinging" trail effect which is more prominent when the parent prefab moves vigorously and finally an "on-hit" effect triggers on collision. All 3 effects are provided in a grouped preset and individually so you can use the whole set right away or mix and match to your preference.

You can customize these effects easily to suit the art direction and system requirements of your project because they are created in the default Shuriken particle system. The way we construct these particle effects makes it very straightforward to adjust the position, size and which set of effect (sustain/swing/on-hit) to be enabled or disabled. You only attach the effect prefab on your weapon prefab and maybe few adjustment of position or rotation then you are good to go.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. ifurkend

ifurkend

V1.02 has been approved which comes with the new "Wood" element and complete set of "enchanted character sustain" prefabs.

3. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Hi,

I'm running into an issue where if I drag a sword prefab onto the scene and then click on the enchanted-on-hit collision component, Unity will crash with an out of memory error after a few seconds. I'm running the latest version of Unity (5.4) and have ample RAM on my computer (8GB)

4. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Some more details ... it occurs when I click on the Enchanted-on-hit collision 2.0.1 Sword Buff tier 1. Possibly others too.

5. ifurkend

ifurkend

I am terribly sorry to hear that. I know it's difficult for you. Can you recreate the problematic scene again, export it and send to our email (moonflowercarnivore@gmail.com) for inspection? Also which version of Unity 5.4 are you using, 5.4.0f3 or 5.4.0p2? Thank you.

6. ifurkend

ifurkend

Actually I can reproduce the crash in Unity 5.4.0f2. It doesn't crash the editor instantly but after extensive playing of the scene. This could be a different case than yours because I load the whole Enchanted Edge package to a new blank project. The crash could happen lot sooner if there are other scripts by others contributing to the memory leak and I am ready to file a crash report to Unity because the same thing didn't happen to me in 5.3.5p5.

7. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

okay ... fair enough. Hopefully they will fix and I'll then be able to use it.

8. giotta

giotta

Same problem here :/

9. ifurkend

ifurkend

Which version of Unity 5.4 causes the crash?

So far I can only reproduce the crash once on Unity 5.4.0f2. (The other time I loaded all on-hit collision prefabs in the default scene and let it play and trigger the on-hit effects repeatedly for hours but nothing happens.) I know there is something wrong with Shuriken collision in 5.4 which causes memory leak, but I need more information.

Sorry for the frustration.

In the mean time, this could be the same out-of-memory crash you're having with Shuriken particle system:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/particle-editor-troubles-and-crashes.424837/

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  10. giotta

giotta

There are graphical issues with the latest version of Unity. Please, fix it.

11. ifurkend

ifurkend

Hi. Can you elaborate the issue or capture some image/video? Also did you attach the particle prefab under any rigidbody object parent which can cause problem in 5.5 and onward?

12. giotta

giotta

excuse the delay in replying. I'm not sure that it is the asset to have problems, maybe it's my video card went ... I do not understand why only happens with these effects

13. ifurkend

ifurkend

Can you capture a video (with free app like OBS) to demonstrate the issue? Thank you.

14. chrissanders

chrissanders

is there a how to use, and how to add the prefabs to your own objects

15. ifurkend

ifurkend

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z5yeTDCZMVJQUT82w6CedvAKXEngR72lU4xN6bZm4GY
    Hi. The link to the online documentation is in both the description page of this asset and in the "read me" text file in the root folder of this asset. Asset Store strictly requires every submission must contain a basic doc in the asset package for approval. In the next update, a PDF copy of the Google doc will be included just in case you have problem connecting to the internet.
    (I know I've already replied you in Facebook, but just in case...)