Search Unity

UX-D9 - App never goes to 2D unexpectedly. How to transition to 2D? And back again?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by Freaking-Pingo, May 16, 2017.

1. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

Hi all,

Our latest submission to google got reject because we are transitioning wrong to 2D. We are currently doing the following:
    • User clicks a link that is suppose to take him out of the app
    • From Unity we start a new activity that minimizes our Unity app and opens up the default "Take off your device" dialogue
    • After the user takes off his headset, we return back to Unity and opens up the url using Application.OpenURL("someLink");,
    • Unity minimizes again, and opens up the default browser on the phone.
    • The user can return to the app by using the back button or the system tray.
    This implementation got rejected. From the Daydream design guidelines - It appears that we have to do the following:
    • User clicks a link that is suppose to take him out of the app
    • From within the Unity app we display a dialogue, while checking for any orientation changes
    • If an orientation change occurs, we can exit the VR application and return the user to a 2D "view" Which contains a "Back to VR" button.
    The bold part is what concerns me. Does that mean we can't return the user to a default browser, unless the default browser has a "Back to VR" button?

I am a bit confused and unsure what I can or can't do when going from and back to VR. If anyone have any experience on this, I would love to hear it.

2. sterlingcrispin

sterlingcrispin

there's a permissions flow manager example that goes in and out of VR I would follow that UX and reuse their code to do what you need

3. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

From what I can see, it appears we have to return to some native Activity where an "Go to VR" button has to be present.