Search Unity

Using Timeline for short films?

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by DGordon, Jul 17, 2017.

1. DGordon

DGordon

Hey,

I'm not sure where this thread should go, so please feel free to move it. My apologies ahead of time!

I'm very interested in using Unity for short real-time rendered films. This would not be backed by lots of $$$ or time, so I'm very curious if other people have attempted the same thing, and what their experiences have been. I would love to know what's worked well and what hasn't. What other technologies are people using (iClone, Daz3D, Quixel, etc) and why. Are there any Assets from the store that have proven necessary? Is there a workflow that has been working well for any specific parts? There are a *lot* of ways to attempt this, but if there is already a well trodden path, I would rather not trail-blaze here.

Essentially, I figure I can't be the only person looking to do this, and I would really like to have a place where people can share their attempts! :)

PS: Obviously I'm planning on using Timeline since I posted this here ;).

2. anilo

anilo

Yes I am working on a short animation children's rhyme music video using Timeline.
    Seems to be working great so far.

I've used Maya to build some of the models & animations.
    Then basic animations within Unity using Timeline.

Also, am planning to use Mecanim but I haven't figured out how to use Mecanim & Timeline yet.

3. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

I'm an ex-animation filmmaker turned game dev- IMDB link

I've made a few film like projects with Unity- the main limitation with Timeline for making short films is its lack of audio preview- this makes it pretty much useless for projects wherein you need to animate/cut/etc to audio until they add that in-

imo the best cutscene/film tool for Unity at this time is the asset Slate- I'm sure they will add all the necessary features to Timeline though-

Here's a recent cutscene made with Slate

And a few music videos done with Cinema Director