Search Unity

Using MMD with Unity?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by lolwhatevr13, Nov 24, 2016.

1. lolwhatevr13

lolwhatevr13

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to use a software like MikuMikuDance, PMDEditor, or MikuMikuCapture with Unity. I just have a couple questions about this. If I can with any of these, can you go into detail and explain?

- Can I convert my .fbx, or .dae models into a .pmd, or .pmx?
    ^ And will the rig still be attached?

- Can I export animations (Motion) from MMD, and MMC into unity somehow?

2. Cygon4

Cygon4

There's a Blender exporter for MMD. You can import FBX into Blender (either via its built-in FBX importer or the slightly better BOS FBX importer).

Regarding animations I don't know. If you can manage to export those to BVH, they can be imported into Blender and/or possibly Unity directly (there's a BVH export plugin in the Asset Store, not sure if it can import BVH as well).

Tip: if you only want to use MMD for its posing features, Blender is equally fast and easy to use once you're past the initial learning phase.

3. chengsta

chengsta

Hey there I'm a little late but yes you can convert MMD characters and motions to unity. I've done so on many occasions. It's a bit dated and complicated process. First you need to find something called 'mmd4mecanim' which converts motions and models automatically to unity assets (It's definitely outdated and thus not perfect, as some models will not cross over well). And then you'll have to attach them separately in unity. There is no MMD camera though, you can't be the camera. There are better options to view your motions and stuff though if you're looking to mainly convert to vr, like Mikumikuvr (my personal favourite) or mocumocu dance.