Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Using Gradle Build System with Cloud Build

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by pokersquare, Jan 31, 2017.

1. pokersquare

pokersquare

Hi,

We have a project and we were exceeding 65K method limit on Android, so we decided so set Gradle as Build System which sorted out the 65K limit issue.

When the project is getting build on Unity Cloud Build i think it is not using the gradle build system. Can somebody help in how to setup Gradle Build System for Cloud Build.

2. liortal

liortal

I don't think this is currently supported.

3. pokersquare

pokersquare

@liortal Any idea when its coming out

4. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Unity Cloud Build does not support gradle builds currently, and no immediate plans to support it.

5. MechEthan

MechEthan

I'm confused, what does this FAQ item about Gradle refer to then?

https://developer.cloud.unity3d.com/support/faq/

Which build methods does Unity Cloud Build support for native Android projects?
    Unity Cloud Build supports Ant and Android Studio/Gradle projects at this time.

Does this mean we can't use Unity's Gradle build system directly on UCB, but we can use "Export Project" to produce a Gradle Android project that we then upload and have UCB build?

6. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the confusion. That FAQ is apparently very out of date (and I'll look into cleaning it up). We never supported building a gradle project exported from Unity, although at one point way back in our history we had limited support for building native android gradle projects (which has since been completely removed).

7. Adam-VisualVocal

Adam-VisualVocal

Gradle seems to be available now as a Cloud Build option for Android. I gave it a try but it's up to 30 minutes of wait time now and counting. Is the Gradle option really a thing now or is it not really ready for prime time yet? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  8. Adam-VisualVocal

Adam-VisualVocal

The Gradle build did eventually execute (after 31 minutes) and it seemed to work. Great! Has there been any official announcement about Gradle being available in Cloud Build?

9. SophiaC

SophiaC

10. Adam-VisualVocal

Adam-VisualVocal

Fantastic! Thank you Sophia.

11. liortal

liortal

How do i define gradle for our build ? can't find that option.

12. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

@liortal: it's under the advanced options for the build target (listed as "Android Build System").

Marc-Uberstein likes this.
  13. liortal

liortal

Totally missed it. it's not in the summary, only when you click edit:

upload_2017-4-27_16-32-9.png

eamengual likes this.
  14. dannyd

dannyd

Unity Technologies

Ya, that was overlooked (it will show up there once set, but not initially). We'll get it cleaned up soon.

15. Qbit86

Qbit86

@dannyd I've switched to Gradle build option, specified `mainTemplate.gradle` and `proguard-user.txt`, specified Minify option as Proguard. But. I have no idea where these settings are persisted, so which files I need to commit and push so that our build machine could build the project. I don't see any of these settings appeared in ProjectSettings.asset.

16. liortal

liortal

These are saved to your ProjectSettings.asset file.

17. Qbit86

Qbit86

I've set serialization mode as Force text, so I could preview changes in Git client. I see no evidence of four settings in ProjectSettings.asset:
    • Build System: Gradle (New)
    • Custom Gradle Template: true
    • User Proguard File: true
    • Minify: Proguard

18. liortal

liortal

My bad, it appears these are not stored in project settings for some reason. when i switch my "custom gradle template" to off, it seems to just rename the file to mainTemplate.gradle.DISABLED. kind of a weird hack.. not sure why it was implemented this way :)

Qbit86 likes this.
  19. Qbit86

Qbit86

@dannyd @Yury-Habets Could you please fix this and implement as ordinary YAML-settings?

20. Qbit86

Qbit86

Well, if it is not renamed, then it is still not enough for build server to use Gradle...

@dannyd @Yury-Habets Where this setting is stored?

21. Qbit86

Qbit86

@dannyd @Yury-Habets At least: is there any way to specify Gradle option as command line argument? Please let me know.

22. Anatolii_Landyshev

Anatolii_Landyshev

Hi all.

I'm trying to setup Cloud Build for Android project using Gradle.
    When building locally I turn ProGuard off since it causes some issues.
    But cannot find how to turn it off in Cloud Build.
    On Cloud Build I get same issues as if ProGuard is on.

Could you advice anything?
    Thanks.

23. jschieck

jschieck

@alandyshev Interestingly enough I'm having issues getting Proguard minify to actually work in CB, and I'm hitting the 65k dex limit as a result (works fine locally)... As far as I know there's no setting for it on the dashboard, and I'm not sure it even reads the settings from player settings

24. jcion

jcion

Having issues as well. I would like to enable Custom Gradle Template and User Proguard File in Cloud Build, but I can't seem to find the settings for it. The changes don't seem to appear in ProjectSettings.asset

25. sam_ettinger_sm

sam_ettinger_sm

Bumping this. Has anyone figured out where Unity stores the Minify player settings? And how to save those settings in source-control so UCB can find them?

Qbit86 likes this.
  26. Wanderer13

Wanderer13

For UCB you can use custom gradle template. There is settings to minify at the end of this file. I totally disabled both (minifyEnabled false, useProguard false).

**SIGN**
    buildTypes {
    debug {
    minifyEnabled false
    useProguard false
    proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-unity.txt'**USER_PROGUARD**
    jniDebuggable true
    }
    release {
    minifyEnabled false
    useProguard false
    proguardFiles getDefaultProguardFile('proguard-android.txt'), 'proguard-unity.txt'**USER_PROGUARD**
    **SIGNCONFIG**
    }
    }

}

Attached Files:

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

I also need to know this. I'd like to turn gradle builds off on our automated build system but I can't find where this is set

28. PSchaussPlaya

PSchaussPlaya

If found this regarding Proguard Minify
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49398444/how-to-verify-that-proguard-is-enabled-in-unity-build

So I guess you can put this in a Pre-Build Script to enforce Proguard Minify (did not test it yet):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUserBuildSettings.androidReleaseMinification = AndroidMinification.Proguard;
    I could not find EditorUserBuildSettings.androidReleaseMinification in the documentation. Only the enum is listed there.

I also think that this setting is not properly serialized - at least not within the project itself. Because we work in a team and when we check out the project people have to manually enable minify first. So it's maybe a global editor setting and not a project setting?

This should definitely be changed by Unity. All relevant build settings should be serialized within the project files otherwise it leads to annoying issues.

Edit:
    Okay, this setting seems to have no effect and does NOT fix the issue with cloudbuilds

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    guneyozsan likes this.