Search Unity

Using armour parts on the animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by TomJongens, Feb 20, 2017.

1. TomJongens

TomJongens

I’m having some trouble on how to approach my animations and the forums aren’t helping or direct to legacy documentation or old forum posts.

In a nutshell;
    I want to have several models (40x) using the same animation with different sets of armour (10 variations per model). The models only play animation clips and doesn’t have a rigid body or require user input or such. Just good old ‘play the animation on trigger and return to idle’

I’m thinking these are my options:

1. Rig the model with all the different armours ON it.
    That would require a lot of modelling, making the process time consuming and inflexible for quick changes. Probably would look the best since every set of armour is hand rigged on the model.

2. Use a BaseMesh Armour (e.g. Empty GameObject of the armour part) on the joints of the rig during animation. Switching the meshes within Unity. Seems like my best option, quick, but not necessarily the best looking.

So I reckon the 2nd option would be the best, but i’m working if I’m overlooking anything or over complication this.

Also, would It matter if I use a generic rig or humanoid model with the 2nd option? I feel that using humanoid messes up the animation

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Best to inform yourself in the learn section and documentation. The last question you asked confirms you don't know enough about the animation system - yet - to be concerned about the other questions you asked.

In a nut shell - if the system requires additional bones beyond the base humanoid rig and your not competent with avatar masks and animating the extra bones through animation layers, best to go with the generic setup. This however will require animations to be created for each character. Retargeting for generic - unless well versed in the animation system - isn't simple.

After that - look into UMA on the asset store. A free character system that does - among other features - exactly what you want, though the it's learning curve will require some time to get up to speed with how it works.