Search Unity

Usim flight module in Asset Store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Gabo_campitelli, Mar 9, 2014.

1. John-G

John-G

Would the AI addon work with UFsim?

2. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi! Thanks. The traffic awareness is only runway status based at the moment, but ships should be able to work following waypoints as if ti were taxi waypoints. I'll add an AI ship. Road vehicles should be able too do pre stablished waypoints too. Unfortunately there's no roads system in usim yet.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  3. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi John, It can work with it but it's not directly suported yet. I will eventually either buy UFsim or contact the developer so i can add build in support for it.
    To make it work with any other flight sim engine you need to modify the use of uSim InputsManager with a custom one. But the autopilot outputs controller inputs. if that makes scense.

regards

John-G likes this.
  4. John-G

John-G

Don't think Chris is supporting UFSim anymore, but if it's just controller inputs that will be fine.
    I need to re-do the UFSim package to use rewired anyways so can do the two together.
    Will pick it up on release.

5. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Gabo, thanks for this, I prefer to ask here for benefit of the group & product.

Have been messing round with the ship simulation side of Usim and I am completely impressed with the high standard of the simulation.

However it is quite a steep learning curve and not a lot of tuts available for the ship side of Usim.
    I have managed to setup my own ship (thanks to @Bartolomeus755 for his help on the buoyancy), but I am getting some shaking and would like to be able to fine tune this and other ship models I have but have no idea what to look at first.

Further info on setting up ships would be great.

6. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

All constructive chat is wellcome. I do understand how complex it can be for someone new to get the hang of how things work. Basically you have two forces that act vertically on each float point. one is the upwards buoyancy lift and the other is the "damping" force caused by the friction on the submerged area. this two forces in relationship with total mass of the object are critical to avoid shaking effects. Same as in airfoils and wheels, having forces achieveing excesive force to a certain mass can cause shaking effects.
    Try adjusting the buoyancy coefficient on each float point contained on the buoyancy script. note that you have to modify this values acordly on each buoyancy point so the ship doesn't flip over.
    also make sure you don't have excesive damping forces.
    Bottom line is too big forces in relationship to rigidbody mass = shakings.

I'm not much of a video guy other than some raw capturing but i'll see how i can make some tutorials.
    I'll also review and make public the documents to all modules.

Thanks

7. gibmation

gibmation

Thanks for this, if I can help in any way please let me know.
    Meanwhile will continue playing with settings.

8. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Looking forward to this.

9. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

hi,Gabo_campitelli
    What is the link for AI module in the Asset Store?

10. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

It's not been published by unity yet. Still under review procces. But i'll post here when it is up.

Thanks!

11. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

12. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Gabo, any progress on this?
    Thanks

13. gibmation

gibmation

Hi, Gabo,

is it possible to tow ships if so how would we go about this?

Also is there provision for anchors to slow down & hold a ship in position?

Thanks

14. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I noticed there is updated version of 1.32b store using Unity 5.6.0 as of 5/1/2017.

>>>>
    1.32b *Air physics improvements *Exposed road friction variable of wheel colliders *Added inputs auto installment *Added Rewired engine selection inputs and other missing inputs *Added custom air drag object *Added landing gear air drag integration *Added Airbrakes. *Added auto trim based on speed *Added trim function for all inputs *Aircraft templates improvements *Fixed fuel managment issue
    <<<<

I have seen some of the Rewired improvements too but have not gone over them in detail yet.

15. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@Gabo_campitelli

Do you plan to support Unity 5.6.x for a while? I probably will be on that version till the end of 2017.

16. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello! Sorry for the delay.

gibmation:

You can tow boats as long as you physically connect them. Use of hinge joints would be most easy solution. But for a good towing simulation you need to have a non rigid connection. For example a rope. There are serval procedural ropes on the asset that might be able to be used as such.
    Anchorage is not included but it's on the list of features to add.
    So basically for both things is the same aprouch as in towing you actually have an anchor in the tow boat. But i don't think i'm going to make it with dynamic connection such as a rope. I mean it will be rendered as a rope or cable but it will be just a straight line.

longroadhwy:

I've been reported that the previous upload has an error with the editor and the project was unable to run, so i had to remove that version and uploaded a new one using Unity 5.6.0
    Currently only option available. But it should work fine regardles.
    I'll be working and reviewing usim framework this month while the other stuff get's published.
    Inputs will be on the main targets. I also have some wheel colliders issues when going backwards.
    Documentation will also be among the critical points to review. There are few features new and old that are not documented.

Along with this update some new features to be added (v 1.33b):
    * Ground effect to airfoils (optional)
    * Pilot Controls animation (joke, stick, drive wheel, pedals, levers)
    * Vehicle Stations and enter/exit example script. (Optional a small class to support riding and unriding vehicles)
    * Permanent vehicle data : writes vehicle state to a file and gets loaded on start. (Optional for use in persistent worlds)

17. gibmation

gibmation

Great to hear - looking forward for that.

Also would be great of you could release some docs for the boat modules.
    Thanks

18. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That sounds great, looking forward to the new version.

19. gibmation

gibmation

Hi,

I would be grateful for examples or some help to go about making the following…

• Bow thrusters
    • Outboard engine
    • Steerable thruster
    • Reverse throttle, to slow & reverse ship.
    • Anchoring / mooring
    Thanks in advance.

20. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

I've put together an outboard racing boat template at the web:
    http://www.softdimensiongames.com/uSim-ADDONS/

That would cover both setup of outboard engine and steareable thrusting. In this case attached to the rudder.
    Tomorrow or so will put up a fishing boat with the other features.

Btw, the AI module will be added to current uSim package in the next update instead of having it separatelly.

cheers

gibmation and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  21. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

That's great Gabriel, thank you for uploading this as a free addon. It's very useful for my project.

22. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Glad to hear! keep me posted if the template vehicle has something not properly working.

23. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thank you. Looking forward to the next update.

Will these boat examples that you have at uSim-ADDONS site be included in your next update?

24. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

The examples allready contained in the pack are the ones that will remain. Other addon example vehicles will be downloads from the web to generate some traffic and to keep package size not too big.
    But it's very easy to install them. Just unpack and add the prefab connection to the array of available vehicles on the demo scene. It's located at _DemoMain object.

25. gibmation

gibmation

Wow really cool bro, cant wait to check this out.
    Thanks for your efforts !!
    G

26. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi Gabriel,

can you add support for submarines to usim or as an extra asset? That would be really cool. Is it possible to make one slider for both forward and backward thrust for the ship controller?

Marko

27. Pvt_Hudson

Pvt_Hudson

have dropped the speedboat sample into empty project with just Usim 1.3, but when i choose it from dropdown and press start...cant get it to move. Complains about axis?

Edit: ok got it..have to manually set lots of axis'. Is there a list in doco somewhere stating all the axis we need to create and the type ? eventually did it by trial and error, but boat barely moves forward

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  28. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, in the unity menu "Window/usim" you will find the auto-configure inputs function. I think it's mentioned in the docs or readme. Or is it missing? (need to restart project)
    In any case it doesn't work, the InputsManager unity config file is included at the location "uSim_Framework 1.3/Configuration Files". Copy this file and replace the one located at "project root/ProjectSettings/" (restart unity)

The boat should move fast and engine revs go to 6000 or so. Maybe the throttle axis have conflicts.

Hope it helps, if you continue with problems plase write me at gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com and we can sort problems out. I know inputs can be a nightmare but it's the only lock to release uSim potential. Your experiences helps me improve the product usablity.

regards

29. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Marko! Sorry, i'm working on that at the moment. Will add it in next update. Ofcourse very basic UI, my art skills are not very good :)

30. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

No problem, great to hear that you are working on it! :)

31. khos

khos

Hi Gabriel,
    Could I ask, I am quite interested in using your asset, could advise if will I be able to use it for Radio Controlled aircraft simulator physics, also radio controlled Paramotor/gliders?

32. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi khos,

Sure, you can simulate any airfoil by tweeking the parameters. Using free CL curve allows to model any aerodynamic shape or size.
    The only issue regarding radio controlled aircrafts is that the prop wash effects are key for scaled prop aircrafts. And uSim doesn't simulate advanced prop dynamics (yet). Current uSim version simulates props as simple thrusters with no effect on aerodynamics or simulation of gyroscopic forces.

I have been asked a lot about radio control so i guess i will try to model one and publish it.
    I'm also uploading other serval vehicles to the web. http://www.softdimensiongames.com/uSim-ADDONS/

Thanks!

33. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Submarines sounds really interesting.

@Gabo_campitelli

Thanks for all your hard work on this asset.

34. khos

khos

Excellent news, regarding the propwash, if it is not implemented yet I think that might be ok actually, I might try and see how I get on.

35. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Gabriel,
    have been messing around with the new outboard vehicle, thanks for this.
    Some help with these issues please...

1. I notice that on turning left or right the front of boat tends to drop, sometimes making the boat sink. What component to adjust for this?
    2. Also on turning, rudder seems to take a long time to return to center position, (I'm using keyboard input) so ship will keep on turning for some time before centering: What/how to adjust this rate of turn please?
    3. I have a boat which is not sailing in straight line, keeps veering left. Rudder, engine, collider, model, COG all completely centered. What can cause this, or how can I adjust for this?

Thanks for your help.

36. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello!

1. You can increase forward point buoyancy factor but it might make it too bumpy.
    Check on the boat hierarchy the keel hidrofoils and rudder, they might be missing the script in the current uSim version. I have been using the JS version of hidrofoil and i just realized so in next update it will be fixed. Theres also an hidrofoil that simulates vertical lift due to hull.
    2. In edit/project settings/inputs look for rudder. Change gravity and sensivility. Back to point 1, make sure the hidrofoils are not missing on the rudder.
    3. Hidrofoils again. if they are properly loaded look at the coeficient curve and see if center key is at 0,0
    missing hidrofoils would make the ship to drift the course.

Also, all this is assuming a plane ocean. Weavy oceans can cause the ship to drift the course too due to uneven buoyancy forces.

Hope it helps. And sorry if hidrofoils are missing. I will update the module and vehicles acordly.

37. khos

khos

I would like to ask some more questions, hope that is ok:
    -If I try to design a Paraglider, can the wing be affected by thermals, how do you implement wind/thermals?
    -For my RC aircraft will it still work ok even if no propwash is there? I really want to use your asset for this.
    -If I get stuck with the two, would you be willing to help, I am sure I will manage ok but like to ask?

38. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi khos,

The airfoil calculates and acts on the vehicle rigidbody, in this case the paraglider itself. A thermal would push the rigidbody in the same way. Generally upwards. But ofcourse that to simulate proper thermal generation you would have to come up with some system to calculate that. But in the end it's just adding a force to the rigidbody. Wind speed is not taken in consideration on the airfoil simulation so other then the force applied on the rigidbody by the wind you would have to modify the airfoil airspeed input based on relative wind input.
    Sure i can give you a hand on how to solve this topics.
    RC aircrafts should be fairly easy to set up with out needing propwash. Next week i'll try setting up an RC and see what happen.

Also, 1.4 has been submited. i'll keep the forum updated.

Thanks

39. khos

khos

Thanks Gabriel, Ah ok so if I understand a thermal would just be an object that gives constant force upwards, and affects the paraglider which is a rigidbody? I have an existing paraglider sim (where I employ similar stuff already) which I want to update/improve, I think your usim will help me do that quite well :)
    Do you have any tutorial videos to watch / share, e.g. how to setup an aircraft, or setup thermal/wind?
    If you can provide a sample setup for RC planes that would be really cool :)

40. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

41. gibmation

gibmation

Hi Gabs, just seen the new update but only for u5.6.

Due to other assets I am currently stuck on U5.5, is it possible to obtain ver for this?
    Thanks
    G.

Update: Looks like we are moving to 5.6 please ignore request thanks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Gabo_campitelli likes this.
  42. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

1.4b is up and published. I've downloaded and installed it myself as if i were a client and it looks to work everything ok specially regarding installation. Just note that after installing inputs, the editor has to be restarted.

So what's new on 1.4 is mainly the addition of the AI module. From 1.4 to 1.5 i'll be developing and improving the AI and it applications and optimizations. I'm working on the design to have the simulation running in two layers. One transform based and other physics based for the AI. So physics based (inputs based) simulation can be blended in and out. So more units can be supported in the map. Transform based simulation would be somewhat a stats based simulation wich "animates" the aircraft while having physics turned off. A weight will be set if desired to blend the transform animation on top of the physics. This is how formation flying is currently dealed. Also will aprouches and landings.
    Also in this 1.4 to 1.5 stage land AI will be also introduced. But it will be for open terrain or premedited paths.
    Espect price ricing after 1.5 when AI is stablished. Get it today and have it for lifetime :)

here's the complete 1.4 list:

* Added optional ground effect to airfoils. Adds extra lift and reduce drag based on near ground altitude.
    It use requires to asign a raycasting source for the airfoil. raycasting is used to detect distance to ground
    or any other collider.
    * Added 3d cockpit implementations. rigged controls, 3d canvas
    * Added manouver thrusters for ships. Along with UI button support. (on example ship)
    * Added persistant position keeper. Can be modified with more parameters.
    * Improves to Land module.
    * Added vehicle station support for FPS use (on development)
    * Added AI module beta. Allows AI flights and formations. (no combat manouvers)
    * Reviewed template vehicles
    * Minor fixes

More things to be added in this stage:
    * Physics based towing system (for anchorage and vehicle towing)
    * Improvements to 3d cockpit
    * FX improvements
    * More vehicle templates added to the web.

Beyond 1.5 I'll be working in two major updates. Carrier operations (arrestor cables, relative deck movement, vehicle storage) and Virtual cockpit (use of layered cameras to separate cockpit from sim world to allow better interior graphics platform).

Thank you for your support!

43. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Good work. Thank you. Carrier operations sounds wonderful.

44. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

So here's a little attempt with the RC flight model. The aircraft weights about 1.5 kg with a wing area of 3 feet2. Scalling the propulsion is a bit trickier so it needs some adjustments. But this is how it looks like so far.
    I will add this example to the addons web.

khos and gibmation like this.
  45. khos

khos

Wow, looks very nice, I'd love to be able to try this asap.

46. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

RC model uploaded

Engine/prop needs some tweeking. Engine starter also works as engine :)

For using any of this vehicles, import and add prefab to demoMain - available vehicles array. Play demo.

Thanks!

47. khos

khos

Cool Gabriel, just out of interest, on the video of the RC model what kind of controller / input are you using there? I see a circle with moving point, is it a joystick?

48. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Thanks! What you see is the mouse joystick. On the demo press F5 to enable mouse joystick. you can change the reticle shape, size and position as any other UI object. The reticle canvas is on the uSim player interface gameObject.
    1.4 has or should have the looks as in the video. Make sure you update uSim. (Unity 5.6)

49. gibmation

gibmation

Great Stuff Gabo been messing around with latest USim ver + ship additions, some points...

1. Reverse - ship engines must be capable of forward and reverse thrust and stopped midway- how can this best be achieved?
    2. Dual engines - after testing your dual engine model, is it possible to have separate power controls per engine instead of a combined control. This would be great and can also be used to steer ship.
    3. Have been able to set up Obi Rope and use this to tow ships - only asset of many I have been able to get working properly with USim - worth looking into as possible add-on for ropes/anchor chain in USim.
    4. I cant get your maneuver thrusters working with the GUI, however looking at the code it seems they use same power control as main engine - again this would be better as separate power controls.

Using your code I have been able to create my own bow thrusters with separate controls and this in turn has helped me to understand how these forces are working.;)

5. I would like to have smoke particle effect emit depending on vessel power - how is best to do this?

6. How do I make ships heavier, so that when small ships hit larger ships the large ship will not move and smaller vessel bounce back? I have tried changing values in rigid body mass but ships become unstable - should I also increase buoyancy force on Fp points?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  50. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello!

1. Well, you can't reverse the engine RPM because the physics based engine component takes doesn't compute negative RPM. This is due to the throttle input design. Althou it can, but it requieres to change the code. A way to not alter the code and have a "dirty" aprouch is to set the public variable densityCoef of the prop component. You would have to set it using a signed value "directionInt". 1 forward, -1 reverse. So densityCoef = densityCoef * directionInt
    You can do that call from a script of yours to acomodate direction of thrust acordly.
    Changing the output of the prop seems to be the most logic aprouch to the design. I guess steam engines did actually reverse the engine turn direction but i didn't have that in consideration atm. Reverse on aircrafts will be something similar to simulate the blades changing angle.
    2. If you hold down number key 1 to [number of engines] while adjusting throttle you get to enable throttle only on the selected engines. It even works with 4 engines selected at the same time. If the engine's prop are suitated to the sides, having one push more will eventually make the vehicle turn. The distance to the COG gives you more or less laverage therefore more or less turn force. Or at least that should happen. That level of physics is handled by Unity. Not holding any number key moves all the throttles.
    3. Glad to hear that. I'm not very good with visuals but procedural ropes are resourse eaters as any physical joint would. I might add some "elastic" physical connection to simulate the behaviour of a connecting line. Then the graphics layer can be filled acordly and suit the demand of the client.
    4. Hmm, you mean the example ship isn't working for you? or you have issues setting them up? Thrusters use direct input. atm only via GUI button. Pressed = 1f unpressed = 0f . So the assigned manouver thruster recieves a throttle input. It can be negative too. It's a totally modular integration to avoid complexity on the inputs management. The thruster apply force * throttle to the vehicle rigidbody in the direction of the thruster transform. simple.
    5. If you want to make it based on the output power you can get a coeficient value from outputForce / someValue. This value would be same or around max output force. Then on the FixedUpdate or LateUpdate, set the Unity ParticleSystem.. emmisionRate to a base value multiplyed by the coeficient you got before. Something like

emmisionRate = baseValue * (outputForce / someValue)

If you want to use the throttle you can do the same by replacing outputForce value by Engine.throttle and "someValue" by 1f Like this:

emmisionRate = baseValue * (Engine.throttle / 1f)

Same proportional effect can be used for other particle effects values for sure. Like size, duration, color, etc...

6. The biggest ship i've modeled so far is a wwii aircraft carrier and it can be some time consuming to find the proper values. The issue is that if the values are out of balance the ship get's very inestable. This is a con of the flexibilty of the system. But like a guitar string you have to tune it. If the ship vibrates, you have too much power at some point. If the ship sinks. well... it needs more. You can tweek the buoyancy coef value to have more or less buoyancy. Also on the lower part of the script, adjust the Y drag component of the ship. Water has a "stick" effect on the submerged surfaces. this generates a damping friction. adjust this value until the ship doesn't shake anymore, then see if it's actually floating or slowly drifting down. There's no easy way to figure the model design out. it all depends on the rigidbody configuration, to amount of buoyancy points, etc...
    Make sure also that the "sectionHeigh" is set correctly and that the buoyacy points are suitated at the keel.
    I will be adding more example vehicles. i guess i will go for a big ship next.

I know the Sea module needs a lot of attention and i will give it more attention after i get the AI to function properly in all posible scenarios and configurations. Input based AI is realistic and flexible, but landings get very difficult. So i want to add the transform based layer to the simulation to guarantee that aircrafts can fly naturally if prefered and be assisted or even completelly taken over by tranform based animation at will. This is specially needed for CPU optimization.
    I've been promising more UI based controls for the ships too :)

Hope to have the AI going this month.

Thanks!