Search Unity

Usim flight module in Asset Store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Gabo_campitelli, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi sugar,

I guess you mean the p-51 spins are too hard to get out from? Ususally nose down and rudder in the direction oposite to the turn. Default rudder keys are Z and X. But if the spin is too flat, forward airspeed can not be enough to generate the lift necesary to control the spining forces. uSim p51 might have the center of gravity not correctly setup causing the spin to be way too flat.
    Take in mind that because the flight models are simulated out of puting together the components and not as a single controller, it can be more complex to setup but i thrust that the results are better and allow more flexibility.
    Thanks

2. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

hi,
    When I pressed Z,X key, I found the Mig17's rudder display like this

Attached Files:

3. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up. it's how the pivot point is set. will make sure to fix it in the next update.

4. Bytebug

Bytebug

Hi, I just bought the asset today and I'm trying to follow the tutorial, but whenever I click "Windows - Usim - New Vehicle", it says it can't find specified prefab. Please take a look at the screenshot attached.

Also, I have looked through the asset folder but couldn't find referenced folders. BTW, I deleted "_AssetsRoot" folder and copied the two folders, "Editor" and "Gizmos" into the project's asset root folder. (not like shown in the screenshot)

Your help would be grately appreciated.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

5. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, The installation seems to be fine.

Look in usim folders you'll find a folder called Libraries then Vehicles. Inside vehicles it's divided by modules. Air, Sea...
    each vehicle has it own folder with all dependenses inside. One of this folders is "Prefab". Inside you will find the vehicle prefab. In the demo scene manager you can click on one of the available vehicles in the list and unity will point to the location of the prefab automatically.
    So the path to vehicle prefabs is Libraries/Vehicles/Module/Vehicle/Prefab

Basically uSim window need to have a vehicle in focus. So select a vehicle and then open the window. Will add shortcut in inspector.

I will add a vehicles prefab manager too in next updates.
    Hope it helps.

Also note that if you want to import uSim unity inputs configurations, you need to copy the file called InputsManager into your project configuration folder. The path is "YourProjectFolder/ProjectSettings/"

Thanks, let me know if you need anything else.

6. Bytebug

Bytebug

Thanks for the reply.

I have figured it out that the javascript that copies and creates new folders has a few minor errors, and I've fixed them.

I hope you will sort most of the bugs out with the next update.

So far, your asset seems to be quite promising and I have high hopes for it. Keep it up. :)

Oh, I also have noticed that there are many typos in the documents, FYI.

7. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Version 1.31b submited. I've adjusted the vehicles and demo scene configurations to get more realism into the models.
    Also included in the package the Land module. It's still in beta but now the modules are complete. I'll be focusing in all wheel collider issues and shortcomes for land vehicle use.
    Also updated the demo to include last changes.
    http://softdimensiongames.com/Products/

Also i've been working in the AI extension for all vehicles althou it's still in early stage.

Thanks!

Bytebug likes this.
  8. Bytebug

Bytebug

That's good to know.

However, I just downloaded the new demo from your google drive and "uSim 1.3 demoSrv.exe" was detected by AV as a trojan. I have also checked it with virustotal and it was detected by 53/56 AVs as a virus.

I think you should check your pc, just to be sure.

9. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Ops, sorry about that. will check on the virus. Thanks for the heads up.

10. puffythumb

puffythumb

I bought this package, but it doesnt work out of the box.
    It says ArgumentException: Input Axis trim is not setup.
    Also the Standard Inputs script, Has the Inputs Manager missing.

Please advice

11. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, The asset doesn't automatically install input configurations. Will add it on next update. But all you need to do is look into a folder called "Configuration files". Inside it you'll find InputsManager config file for the project. Copy that file and replace the one that is located your project configuration folder. It's located :
    \uSim 1.3 (Project folder)\ProjectSettings

For next update i will make it that the user is asked to add usim inputs.

regards

12. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi Gabs, hows things developing on your end. Are you now working on Usim full time.

Looks like Usim has come along way.

13. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi Deano!

I wish i could work on Usim full time. Mostly cut on third party projects all the time. As for simulators still developing the AI and terrain feed system. Both pretty advanced now but still work to do. Hope to add those to the collection some day soon.
    Cheers, thanks for writing.

14. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi again Gabs, I might test it out on a new ww1 series I'm working on.

Sounds like your busy. Keep up the great work.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  15. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

hi,
    The first three points landing gear like Mig17 can not stop the plane! VehicleWheel's Comput Force is alway so big that Ias don't decrease when Mig17 landing on runway.

Attached Files:

16. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

Try adjusting max Long Force value to something like 500. Since last update wheel brakes work with longitudinal grip factor. I'm working on a new patch to solve some wheel collider issues. So i'll keep in mind to review this values.

Thanks.

17. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

Hello,
    The force exerted on the wheel has a great effect on the takeoff of the aircraft, which is very unreal

18. John3D

John3D

Looks awesome!

19. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Thanks John.

Sugarbbv, Looks like you will have to adjust wheels longitudinal base force with the last version. Se the base value to something like around 10 times less than the current. Say a base force of 1000 should now be 100. This modification was done to have better co-relation with lateral grip values.
    To edit, select the vehicle prefab, open uSim vehicle editor window and select "undercarriage" tab. Look for each wheel to modify "Longitudinal" base value.
    What you experiment is the friction produced by the rolling wheel. If the grip is too high it will stick too much to the ground per say.

I'm working in a new update and hope to have all example models nicely setup. But Unity physics are changing and i have to change some core functions and values and much testing to do.

Thanks

20. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Hello!
    How are you?
    I just had play your demo v1.3b and I can say that are very very very nice and mach my needs of a simulator engine, but I have some questions.

1. I saw that in the view of the pilot the camera is fixed, and this is not cool, because I can not get an internal view of the instrument panel freely or even from the window, the power of the windows when the plane is flying or landing is fantastic, Could you add as an optional?

2. It is possible for the manche to match our control movements as we use them, this would be more realistic, as in uFS I do not know if you know it. There are in the asset store.

Well I would like to much buy it, but my questions are very important to me.

by the way do you speak portuguese?

21. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello Liermann, I'm fine.

Let me see if i got the questions straight.

1. Are you refering to the pilot head not being able to move around in gameplay? or do you refer to the rotation of the camera? The cam has a pilot view script that allows rotating the head around using numpad keys. 8 wich is forward would look down on the panel. But if you refer "stations" then it's not currently suported althou such function is easy to script.
    When using the numpad make sure Num lock is on, just like in Flight simulator.
    Not sure that answer your question.

2. I know uFS althou i'm not sure what you mean on the question. Do you refer to the 3d representation of the commands?
    Or are you refering to input handling?

I don't speak portuguese. English and Spanish :)

22. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Thankyou for your answers!
    1. OK, I didnt know that the camera in pilot view mode could be rotated by numpad keys, very nice it was that I need.
    2. I mean say about the 3d mesh of the representation of the commands, for an example: "I turn to leaft" then the 3d representation inside cockpit turn to left too.

23. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello again!

as for point 2. Virtual cockpit is not yet introduced but i'm working on the b17 virtual cockpit example model (modeling not my strong) to add it as example. Gauges can be used in 3d enviroment same as 2d. Specially since new UI system. Virtual cockpit will include a more extense example of the configurable switch and light indicators that are allready included. Also will include mouse interaction. And ofcourse 3d control rigging. But if you need it asap it's actually very simple to do. Just mail me at gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com
    Thank you!

b17_VC_WIP02.jpg
    b17_VC_WIP01.jpg

24. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

sugarbbv: I think now i know what you mean with the drag force on ground.
    the vechile suspension has a directionality factor that is not exposed and it's not suitable for aircrafts as is in ground vehicles.
    You can change line 70 in VehicleSuspension.cs script to this:
    Vector3 dir = Vector3.Lerp (Vector3.up, transform.TransformDirection (Vector3.up), 0f);
    or
    Vector3 dir = Vector3.up;

so the suspension force is applied against gravity and not so much in the direction of the suspension. Conventional landing gear configuration are causeing the suspension to push the plane in the oposite direction of movement.

I added this for new update.

25. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Thankyou for all answers!
    I Saw That The Old Demo Have AirSpeed Break and I not find in the new demo standalone 1.3b the AIrSpeed Break,
    This feature was removed? or how I can use this in the new demo.

I will certainly buy your kit, I have seen that you always respond and are working to update and improve. Congratulations continue always like this. Will be the best kit on assetstore.

26. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Thank you!

on 1.3 (C#) i removed all "arcadeish" implementations, airbrake was one of them. I will add it back once that particular component can handle both force configuration, animations and inputs properly. The only way i see to use it from the previous version is to migrate the code regarding airbrake application into C#. But i'll make sure i can upload all this changes suggested sometime this month. Also been some value tweeks on the model since last Unity versions wich aparently changed physics a bit.

regards!

27. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Very Nice, Thank You! By the way, I would like to suggest a new feature, an basic system of "fuel", it may be incredible in this kit.

28. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi, It does have fuel system from v1.3 (C#). It even adds the current fuel wieght at the position of the tank. There is no interface integrated yet but the fuel manager has a selector system too.

Thanks!

29. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

I decided to buy your kit, thank you for the answers and look forward to future upgrades, that the kit has a long life.

by the way...
    1:
    i got errors the usim painel dont work and the prefabs come with missing component .

only work the edit veichle.

my unity version is 5.5 any problem?

2:

I created a new airplane,I used as base the B17, but it did not work, when taking flight it hangs to the right, I have already reviewed the components and colliders, apparently everything is as the guide says. Is it some error in the curves? I noticed that the B17 itself does the same.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  30. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello!

Thanks for suporting uSim framework!

1:
    I will need some more info on the errors a screenshot perhaps. Most errors are on import and it's due to a tree instance on the demo terrains and that InputsManager wich is a project configuration file is in the assets. Other than that there shouldn't be any uSim related error upon install. After importing you can open InputsManager folder location and move it to the project settings folder and replace the inputs for use the sim with standard inputs. Standard iputs going to be installed automatically via uSim menu option in next update. so was the installation correct?
    Does the error generates upon spawning of the vehicle? Wich prefabs are missing components? I would love to know about this issues in more detail. You can mail me at gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com if you like too.

2:
    The reason i'm working as fast as posible on the new update is because i think from 5.5 an error came up on the physics design. For instance set the aircrafts rigidbodies interpolation to none. Big one i think, on 5.5 for some reason the interpolation doesn't take the scripted forces i apply therefore, in some frames the aircraft is on "free fall". That will make the aircraft smooth again. Other thing to check are overlaping colliders. or what you can do is add colliders to a new layer and turn off collision betweem themselves. I currently have the same issue on the b17 banking to the right.
    As for the flight model it can be out of balance or aerdynamic curves are not symetrical.

I haven't check but with 5.5 or before there was a sustancial change on physics and it affected the flight models a bit. But once that sorted out the models are flying even better than before. Hope to upload an update this weekend with the flight models fixed and other updates.

regards

John-G and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  31. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

(1) Nice to see the B-17 and multi-engine support.

Keep up the good work.

(2) Multi-engine and Rewired Input Manager.

I did notice in the source code there are places the include multiple engine support (alpha keys 1-4) and several other keyboard commands. These are not included in the Rewired Input Manager prefab. Are these expected to be included in the next uSim update?

I was going to start adding them myself but I did not know what you were planning on adding to the Rewired Input Manager prefab in the next release.

(3) Rewired and Control Mapper.

Thanks for the Rewired and Control Mapper integration and it makes it so easy to change controllers. I would suggest you make a change to the included Rewired Input Manager prefab to support multiple joysticks per player as default (see screen shot). The default of Max Joysticks Per Player is 1 and I would recommend changing it to 10 so developers can map all of their devices easily. There is already 3 controllers when just using Yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals for example. So I think 10 makes a good default number to handle just about everything the user will most likely use.

usim_rewired.JPG

32. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Thanks for the sugestions. i will take that in mind. Hopefully this next update i can sort out the inputs shortcomes, including secondary inputs as engine management, and settle flight dynamics for good so i can focus on the other expansion modules. The AI expansion is coming along very nice.

Thanks for the intrest!

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  33. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks for the clarification. That AI expansion sounds very exciting looking forward to hearing more about it.

ofreyd likes this.
  34. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello everyone,

I've found what could potentialy be causing the banking forces on some of the aircrafts. Beeing aerodynamics and symetry sorted and cheked the only remaining factor is uneven fuel tank quantity.
    The issue is that in curent version there's no key shortcut for tank selection and by default i forgot to check all tanks selection. For example in the b-17. After flying a bit the banking started to increase and i just realized that only the left tank was being used.

fuel gauges.jpg

So the fix is to check the fuel manager "All tanks" bool. So all tanks are used at the same rate.
    make the change to the prefab so it starts that way. This will be fixed on next update.
    when leaving this box unchecked "Selected Tank" variable is used to indicate wich tank is beeing used.

check all tanks.jpg

Also found the issue with wheel drag while take off. The wheel colliders also simulate the drag caused by friction. this coeficient was fixed and was set too high. Now i've made it variable and can be acomodated to avoid high drag ratios on the wheels at high speeds. All vehicles templates have been tweeked acordly.

And last, the AI module is almost ready to be deployed. I probably be publishing it at a development price while it get's polished via feedback. Same as uSim framework, you get it once and forever.
    The AI module is independent in great masure and since it outputs control input values based on the autopilot data, it could be adapted to any other flight physics engine. ofcourse this would requiere extra coding and some modifications but my plan is to add support for other engines such as UnityFS.
    The AI module also handle airports traffic and waypoints can be linked to aprouch routes and have ai routes going.
    For the moment it will be only civilian functions such as taxi, take off, climb out, fly waypoints, aprouch and land.
    aircraft characteristics will be able to be set such as cruise speed, climb speed, best climb angle of attack, aprouch speed, stall speed, etc.

waypointsAI.jpg

flight manager.jpg

Hope to have the module up along with the framework update before end of this month.

Thanks!

John-G and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  35. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

hi,

The aircraft in usim will have been speeding up for ever in a straight line and when the throttle is added to the maximum, and in reality it is impossible, and each aircraft has a speed limit.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  36. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hi,

Since it's 100% physics components if the drag coeficients (drag curve) and/or unity rigidbody drag coeficient are overcome by thrust at all speeds then the aircraft will probably speed up to unrealistic values yes. Also i agree that current flight models of the published version are not perfect yet, mostly are over thrusted. I have been lurking into drag/lift, drag/thrust relationships and i understand what you are saying. The key is in the drag curve and thrust values. Best way to get to know the flight dynamics in this aspect is by simulating the glider first, then add thrust. Also keep in mind prop drag is not yet introduced either. So all aircrafts act as the cleanest jet.
    I have to say that I think there's still a miss conception with how uSim works. There's no hack into the physics behaviour. that means there's no stats based component behaviours. So max speed is given by the flight model itself and not by a configuration value. This was the intended design to have the open flexibility i was after.
    Aerodynamic drag is simulated by uSim but static drag or shape drag is not in the current version. But in the next update a custom drag component is been added. This allows to have airbrakes, landing gear drag, etc. Also for the aircraft config script i'm bringing back from 1.2 the custom drag curve to overcome this issue you mention. It was my intention to remove this but many have pointed out the same results as you in the matter of max speeds.
    The fact is that a vehicle overall shape for drag is the result of all it's parts and can't be calculated as a single shape unless a custom curve is used. This is because some parts are round others are more flat and therefore they have diferent drag coefficients.
    So, having the custom drag curve back again will allow users to set drag based on speed more freely.
    I have the update almost ready, hang in there. Thanks for the feedback.

Also i understand how time consuming it can be to model an aircraft so after this update i will be working on a "wind tunnel" scene in wich the aircraft can be tweeked by manualy inputing airspeed parameters (wind) while the aircraft stays in the same position. The only downside is that to have physics enable it has to be on runtime mode so saving the aircraft prefab also saved the aircraft state. So if you then spawn that aircraft it will start flying. So i will see to add a script to setup the initial flight state of the aircrafts.

Looking more into the future a STATS BASED "simulation" is on the plans to be used in conjuntion with the AI module to optimize it. This stats based sim will be able to be used via player inputs as well, so for those after very simple aircraft simulation and stats based arcade models it will be very handy.

Thank you!
    Gabriel

Bartolomeus755 and John-G like this.
  37. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

In fact, I added a PID control for the usim aircraft AI, automatically completed the p51 take off, climb, along the route flight, landing and other actions, but because I have previously raised a series of problems in some aircraft, such as jet, Multi-engine aircraft will be unsuccessful, feel very depressed.

38. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

What kind of problems are those?
    Don't feel depressed, game dev is like that honestly.
    I would recomend to hold a bit for the AI. i have been developing and testing for some time now and it's all working fine including traffic awarenes. I'm working on the flareing wich is probably the most critical manouver of all flight.
    Current AI implementation also has formation flight capability. althou there woun't be ACM behaviours in the initial release. That is Air Combat Manouvers.

Cheers

John-G likes this.
  39. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

Look forward to your new version update

40. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,

Two things. First the new update is up, hopefully it will solve once and for all the inputs installment issue for those that don't have Unity experience and get lost on copying the InputManager.asset file.
    Second, this will probably be the last public update to the package as i might be deprecating it. Unfortunalety there are more "destructive" kind of clients than "creative" ones. I'm done beeing threated as a scamer of sort because the asset don't suit everybody espectatives or buyers just don't have enough Unity knowledge to sort out small installment issues. Or that the flight simulation is too complicated to work with.
    I just have to say that i'm aware of the potential of the sim engine because if have used it widely in simulations of all kind and sometimes i regret publishing it at all. Lot of people may think that we as programmers are making a living out of the asset store but that's not even remotely true for the bast mayority of the publishers.
    The idea of getting it out there was to support it development further via feedback and budget to include new stuff, but things have not been pretty. So i really apreciate those who have been supportive and have contacted me and follow my work. It's not cool to have clients trying to dump your product via negative reviews or bad rateing like they are making some sort of justice to the comunity. From my point of view things it's exactly the opposite and only a honest developer can understand this, and aprently the gross of asset store clients are not. So i will be diverting my focus and time to game production and not asset store anymore, where i can just express myself with out worring about source code usability and unity editor integration and keeping up with unity updates.
    So i'll see if this last update can fix things.
    i recomend getting Unity 5.5... before updating the package.

Thanks

41. Sr-Liermann

Sr-Liermann

Hello! how are you? this kit its the best kit from the store for me! I liked it so much! And a really want to say thank you for sell it on the store!

I would like if you update with your new AI system or sell it in another package like and addon.

42. sugarbbv

sugarbbv

Hi, Gabo_campitelli

Microsoft's software is also often criticized, it is because the use of more people!
    I have made a lot of questions, but I never thought you were a liar! On the contrary, I am very sure your contribution! You should not be discouraged, we all look forward to your new version!

Thanks

43. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello, I really apreciate the support and the words of encourage. I guess i will keep it around for a while then. :)
    So here's a quick video of my personal dev with uSim.

It was made from the current uSim version with some modifications to the camera system.

3rd party assets in the sim are :
    Rewired, UV mixer, Uber shaders, Fast Ocean, Soft grass shader

Thanks!

khos and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  44. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Wow...that looks pretty good. Great work!

Gabo_campitelli likes this.
  45. gibmation

gibmation

Hi I just got USIm and need some help matching boat's bouyancy to Playway Water.
    I cant seem to get the ship on the surface with waves.
    If I use playway physics or bouyancy it seems to float correctly but boat gets very jerky and seems to stick to sea while sailing.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

46. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hi, I use the Usim bouyancy. And I attached the PlayWay Water Float Script on all Usim vehicle bouyancy points.

47. gibmation

gibmation

Thanks for this mate, you've saved me a lot of hours messing with stuff!

48. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello,
    As Marko pointed out to use uSim ship buyancy system you have to be able to set the ocean height for the buoyancy points of the ship. The demo is setup with a fixed ocean height script but you can use your ocean buoyancy scripts to set the height of the floating points. Obviusly the aprouch makes it to have two buoyancy systems working at the same time but uSim needs this buyancy points to compute hull hidrodymnamics such as hull lift and drag based on the amount of surface sumerged and ship speed.
    Look for the transforms called "fb" on the example ship to understand more how it works.
    Hope it helps, feel free to contact me via mail if you need further assistance.
    gabriel.campitelli@gmail.com

Cheers

49. Gabo_campitelli

Gabo_campitelli

Hello everybody,

Just want to anounce that i will be submiting the AI module today, but since it's a separated module it may take some time to be available. I'll be uploading a demo version with the AI installed.
    It will be published as an extension for uSim framework with a price of 10 dlls.

Included systems:

AUTOPILOT

Vertical axis modes:
    • Climb out
    • Waypoint level
    • Level flight
    • Hold pitch
    • Hold vertical speed
    • Hold angle of attack
    • Landing aprouch
    • Flare
    • Stall out
    Horizontal axis modes:
    • Level wings
    • Hold heading
    • Align to waypoint
    • Align to runway
    • Hold course
    • Hold bank
    Longitudinal axis modes:
    • Hold speed
    • Hold throttle
    • Idle throttle
    • Formation flight (match lead speed)

AUTOPILOT ACTIONS MANAGER
    CUSTOMIZABLE FLIGHT ROUTINES

Available flight modes for autopilot

• Stand by
    • Park
    • Taxi
    • Takeoff
    • Fly route
    • Fly formation
    • Aprouch
    • Land
    • Other
    Included autopilot actions examples
    • Aprouch
    • Fly formation
    • Fly to waypoint (cruise)
    • Follow
    • Stand by
    • Take off
    RUNWAY SYSTEM

Features:

• ILS for AI
    • Aprouch rutes
    • Wait patterns
    • Taxi to runway
    • Taxi to parking
    • Traffic awareness
    AI FLIGHT PLANS SYSTEM

Features:

• Custom waypoints editor/display
    • Prefab based flight plans (reusable)
    • Wingman spawning
    • Automatic start handling

What can AI do with current version:
    • Fly waypoints path
    • Takeoff
    • Handle aprouches and traffic
    • Taxi
    • Land
    • Fly formation
    Current version manual:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B46wsopXF63OUkVvdnk0Yzd2NEE

Thanks!
    Gabriel.

Bartolomeus755 and John-G like this.
  50. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Great work Gabriel, will it also work for AI ships (especially the custom waypoints and traffic awareness)?