Search Unity

[FREE] Introducing Amplify Occlusion 2 – Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion, up to 2X faster!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Apr 21, 2016.

1. shamsfk

shamsfk

2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

3. shamsfk

shamsfk

4. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for the additional information, we really appreciate it. I will contact you as soon as we are able to run a few tests.

Thanks!

5. shamsfk

shamsfk

And also I get that in console with AAO on:

Tiled GPU perf. warning: RenderTexture color surface (1634x919) was not cleared/discarded, doing Drawing/CommandBuffer.BeforeImageEffectsOpaque/AO-BeforePostOpaque

just noticed don't know if it is related

6. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Could be, thank you for sharing. We will get back to you as soon as we get a chance to test it.

Thank you for your patience.

7. ZoneOfTanks

ZoneOfTanks

A stupid question - is it possible disable this effect with distance?
    So only near objects to the camera are affected?
    Thanks, great SSAO! :)

8. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

You can fade it out using the options below.

Thank you for using it!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  9. 00christian00

00christian00

Hello,
    The trial doesn't work on 5.4.
    It says "MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderTargetIdentifier.op_Implicit'."

10. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

The Amplify Occlusion Trial for Unity 5 requires Unity 5.5+ in order to work. The full version, downloaded from the Asset Store or Amplify.pt, does not have this limitation and will work on any version equal or higher to Unity 5.3.0f4.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

11. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

New Amplify Occlusion update, now with Unity 5.6 support!

Amplify Occlusion - Product Page

punk likes this.
  12. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Madness Sale!

Get Amplify Occlusion for only $17.50.

Amplify Occlusion - Asset Store Page
    Fully Functional Trial Version - Download

What does Firewatch, p.a.m.e.l.a., Manifold Garden, Rust, The Forest, Night In The Woods, Broforce and Star Wars Journeys Ep 1 – to name a few – have in common? Check out our full suite of Amplify Unity Products and find out what they can do for your project.

13. KWaldt

KWaldt

Hey there!

I was thinking of getting this even though I already have two SSAO assets (the quality of amplify assets is simply wonderful). However, my favourite feature of SESSAO was always the colour bleeding (example). I'm not sure how realistic it is, so I understand that most assets don't offer this functionality, but it worked nicely with my style.
    Is colour-bleeding something that might be included in Amplify Occlusion in the future, or is it something one would have to do without?

Best Regards,
    KW

14. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for your interest, we really appreciate it. Color bleeding is planned, we should be able to include it at a later stage.

Apologies for the inconvenience, hopefully it's something that we can add soon.

Thanks!

KWaldt likes this.
  15. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

Hello!

I've recently noticed what appears to be an Editor only bug. It appears some moments after having entered Play Mode once, and stays until you either disable Amplify Occlusion or enter Play Mode again:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrcm2cybazkcob6/bug.png?dl=0

As you can see, in the top screenshot there appears to be a noise filter on my model, while in the bottom screenshot, there appears to be a noise filter on the skybox, so the appearance of this bug varies (also in intensity). I also use the Beautify asset, but if I toggle that on and off, the noise stays.

I'm not baking or calculating any lights in this scene, so it's not bad lightmap UVs (although it looks similar).

16. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for reporting the issue, we really appreciate it. Can you replicate the problem in an empty new scene? If so, it might be a known Unity issue.

Which Unity version are you currently using?
    Do the artifacts disappear when you press play?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  17. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

I'm using Unity 5.6.0p1 and yes, the artifacts do disappear when I press play (hence why I called it an "Editor only bug", so it's not a big issue at all).

I haven't had time to try it in an empty project yet.

18. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome, thank you for elaborating. I just wanted to be sure that it was the same issue, it seemed like it could be something else from the screenshots. It's a known Unity problem that we, unfortunately, currently don't have a workaround for; perhaps at a later stage.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  19. ratking

ratking

Often when I lose focus of the Unity editor and then click back to the game (in Play mode), Amplify Occlusion seems to reset my settings during the game, and only disabling and re-enabling the image effect component fixes it. Is this a known problem?

20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch. There's a known Unity Editor problem that causes it to occasionally display artifacts when it loses focus, however it shouldn't reset any actual values. We could really use some additional information in order to debug your current issue.

-Unity and Amplify Occlusion version used.
    -Do you mean that the actual component values change, or do you mean that the effect is visually different?
    -Do you happen to be using a camera Prefab that could somehow alter the Occlusion values? Can you replicate the problem in a new empty scene with the default camera?

From our tests, we were unable to replicate the reset, which steps would you recommend?

Thanks!

21. ratking

ratking

Versions: Unity is 5.6.1f1, Amplify Occlusion is the latest from the Asset Store, I guess 1.2.1. The actual values don't change, but the effect is visually different - it looks like the radius is much smaller than I set it to, and probably other settings are different too. I don't change the Occlusion component via any script.

I now found a way to reproduce it; the problem actually wasn't focus/unfocus, but when Unity re-serializes something. Just right click on a texture or so and reimport it during Play mode; for me that always changes Amplify Occlusion's settings visibly. It's not really bad, but annoying, as I often make screenshots in the editor.

I own another post-effect asset that had a similar problem, and this is how they fixed it: https://trello.com/c/58fK9qqd/154-h...f-highlighting-happens-after-re-serialization Dunno if that helps.

mcmorry likes this.
  22. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, we identified and corrected the problem. Please use your Unity Asset Store invoice number in our download page to access the latest version.

Amplify Products - Download

Please let us know if the problem has been resolved on your side.

Thanks!

23. ratking

ratking

Thank you very much, the new version fixed the problem.

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for confirming it, we really appreciate it.

25. ratking

ratking

Hallo,

it seems I now have a similar problem as before, but concerning the standalone build. When I build my game as .exe, the SSAO in the game looks different. It didn't have that problem with the previous version.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  26. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for the heads-up. We made a few test and, unfortunately, we were unable to replicate it. We could really use some additional information regarding your camera and AO settings, a few comparison shots would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  27. ratking

ratking

This is how my scene looks like in the editor:

And this is how it looks like when I do a standalone build (Win 32bit):

Practically it's broken. Unfortunately I couldn't replicate this behaviour with a small test scene, so I guess there is something going wrong on a deeper level. This is how my camera settings are (at least one of the many cameras I have!):

And here are the settings of Amplify Occlusion:

In any case, thanks for the support!

28. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Whats the difference between this and HBAO (Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion)?

29. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for the additional information, we really appreciate it. Is the problem present without the Hx components?

HBAO is the name given to the technique developed by Nvidia, our solution is based on that technique but with our on take on the implementation more akin to HBAO+.

30. ratking

ratking

Yes. I even tried to remove all the other components, and there wasn't any difference unfortunately.

I think adamz was referring to this Unity asset.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  31. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We would be happy to examine a scene on our side. Would it be possible to share a sample privately? (support@amplify.pt)

I'm not entirely familiar with the package but last time we checked ours was still the fastest solution available. Under request, we can also provide an Amplify Occlusion package compatible with the Steam Lab Renderer.

32. ratking

ratking

Right now I'm not comfortable to share my project. I hope I can make a smaller test case soon, but frankly, I don't really have that much time for it.

33. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem, a simple sample would be ideal. Is there anything else that we should be aware regarding your scene or camera setup? If the problem is not present in a simple scene, I would suspect that something is causing the problem in your current camera or camera prefab. Did you use the same exact setup as your game?

Looking forward to your reply.

34. ratking

ratking

I now could reduce my project to the absolute minimum, so it isn't much more than Amplify Occlusion and a test scene. I still have that error:

So I think it isn't something with the camera, but maybe with the project settings. I send you all files via mail.

35. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello, thank you for creating a test scene, we'll be waiting for you to send us the project files so we can look into this issue.

Thank you for your time!

36. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

We've just confirmed the issue, apologies for the trouble.

We'll keep you posted on any related updates!

ratking likes this.
  37. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

The issue has been identified and fixed, we'll upload the updated version to our website as soon as we get confirmation from ratking!

38. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

The new update is now available publicly through our webpage!

Please use your Unity Asset Store invoice number in our download page to access the latest version.

v1.2.3.001 – 26th July 2017 – Stable
    • Fixed AO sampling difference between editor and standalone

Amplify Products - Download

Thank you for all the feedback!

39. ratking

ratking

Out of curiosity, can you tell me what the reason for my problem was? It's strange it happened in my project, but not in a test scene I made from scratch.

40. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

It could be due to a few reasons, it can be a bit hard to tell.

One of the possibilities is that you might've had the "Cache Aware" feature enabled, an optimization that wasn't affected by this bug which was introduced by a fix in an earlier version

The problem was on our side, however, and it was definitely sorted out!

ratking likes this.
  41. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Siegecraft Commander offers a real-time strategy (RTS) single-player campaign, while providing both turn-based and RTS options for high-stakes multiplayer matches. If you are a fan of this type of game, be sure to check it out and the use of Amplify Occlusion & Color.

Amplify Occlusion - Unity Asset Store
    Amplify LUT Pack - Unity Asset Store
    Amplify Color - Unity Asset Store

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

In Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 you repair, paint, tune and drive cars! Find classic cars in the new Barn and Junkyard module, build and expand your repair service empire in this highly-detailed realistic simulation game.

Dive into an immersive simulation enhanced by Amplify Occlusion that allows you to be a mechanic without getting your hands dirty!

Amplify Occlusion - Unity Asset Store
    Full Post - https://goo.gl/7ruzxE

43. ekergraphics

ekergraphics

How do I enable single pass stereo rendering support for this asset?

I'm using version 1.2.3 on Unity 5.6.1f1 and after I've enabled single pass stereo in the player project settings, I get correct AO in the left eye, but the right eye is displaced, creating a broad light halo of sorts around all objects.

44. Amplify_Borba

Amplify_Borba

Hello!

You do not need to enable Single Pass Stereo manually.

The difference between the AO effect on the left and right eyes is due to a known Unity issue, apologies for the inconvenience. Do you happen see any differences with Cache Aware enabled?

45. Cramonky

Cramonky

Hello,

I bought this asset a little while back and it has been great so far, however I've begun using it with terrains and I am seeing some very bad looking, grid-like artifacts:

I'm sure this isn't an issue specifically with terrain, that it just occurs due to the mesh's shape and structure, but is there any way to reduce this effect?

EDIT:

Forgot to post my settings, here they are:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  46. castor76

castor76

Love using amplify ssao and color. But i was wondering if there is ANY way that i can do to make then run faster by combining both effects at one go? For example having their shaders combined so that i dont have to make unity to blit and pass unnecessary texture data passing around between two effects?

47. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

That's an odd issue, can you share a sample for further testing? How are you generating the terrain?

Thank you for using Amplify Occlusion, happy to know that you are happy with the results. Unfortunately, there's no straightforward way to do that at the moment.

48. Cramonky

Cramonky

I simply generated some perlin noise for the heightmap. I also tested on a normal mesh that closely resembled the terrain's general shape and the issue was still present, albeit less noticeable in most cases. Seems like this issue would typically not be noticeable when more complex textures are used.

I have sent a repro project via email.

49. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

Thank you for the sample, we really appreciate it. At first glance it seemed that you were experiencing some sort of problem but, unfortunately, you ran into a common limitation specific to the occlusion technique used. You can mitigate the effect by using a higher radius and bias value, possibly along with higher tessellation values in the mesh used. You might need to adjust the AO parameters used depending on how you intend to visualize the terrain, while a specific configuration might work for a distant birds-eye view, it might not be ideal for on-ground first person views.

50. Cramonky

Cramonky

I figured that was the case. I'll try adjusting the settings and see what works best for my game.