Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Harekelas

Harekelas

strangely is that I set a >30 and another <=30 interaction rules, they both are red (unachieved) how is it possible?

2. TonanBora

TonanBora

Hey Harek!
    Add in a retention timer to prevent the AI from switching targets to quickly.
    This can be done by clicking the RT button for the interactors.

Another alternative, is to setup a Leisure behavior with multiple movement rules for walk, and run, and assign it to the correct behavior in the Essentials tab (of course, don't forget to remove the Home Interactors afterward, or at least disable them!).

julianr likes this.
  3. Harekelas

Harekelas

Tested ICE whole night :/
    Found another issue: if I set the automatic adjust speed for behavior's movements, the creatures will be thrown far away when the scene start. Guess it may be connected to the ICE internal physics, or it's unity's physics.
    Or, maybe I set something in the wrong way? Anyone has met the same problem before?

Edit: @TonanBora Thank you for your ICE stream tutorials, would like to see more!

4. icetec

icetec

Hi Harekelas, I have already done the integration scripts for Tenkoku Dynamic Sky, so the package will be automatically supported in ICE v1.4.

Dwight_Everhart and mattis89 like this.
  5. Harekelas

Harekelas

Great to know! May I ask about what time will 1.4 comes out?
    And I wonder if the dynamic status and body parts can simulate different body part damages?
    For example, I hit a deer's leg, and damaged it cause it to cripple, and attack an NPC's arm can cause him lose his weapon.
    Is it possible to achieve with ICE?

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

I am a bit curious

1) Is there somewhere some new features list for 1.4 ?

2) Will actual projects using Ice need some changes or will they be compatible ?

3) Will that update come in August or after somewhere in September ?
    ( i got a small open world like mobile project that perhaps will use Ice Creatures )

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    War_Lord99, Cartoon-Mania and lod3 like this.
  7. radiantboy

radiantboy

did anyone ever come up with a way to stop guys overlapping, I spent days and cannot do it, no response on the official forum either.

8. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi radiantboy,

How about changing the motion control type to Rigidbody?
    It force prevent from overlap each other (but perhaps they would push each other) .

9. jmarceno

jmarceno

Hi Everyone, in using ICE with QuestSystemPro, and utilizing the "ICE Creature Object Select", to make my NPC stop walking when I click it.

Is there any way of make this NPC automatically start walking (go back to its behavior) again, without I have to click it ? Or is better to try find a way to message it through the QuestSystemPro?

regards

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Are you using navmesh for navigation ?
    Do you have a screenshot ?

11. War_Lord99

War_Lord99

Hi Buddy,

did you get any private or else answer to these questions ?

Thank you.
    Arthur.

12. DivineMercy

DivineMercy

Quick question: For creatures to not phase inside of each other, how would you go about solving this? I have the overlap prevention boxes on all creatures as well as a collider the same exact size on them. Navigation is set to Internal.

Thanks you!

13. julianr

julianr

Stopping distance will help. Earlier Pit (ICE) posted about how to prevent skidding.

14. JDrem1

JDrem1

@icetec

Hello.
    I am new to Unity. (sigh another newby ;) But learning pretty well.)

Ice looks incredible. But before I purchase, I wanted to ask four basic questions.
    Please forgive if there Really basic, and if I get anything incorrect.

1, As well as Horses, and Bears, and the like, does the AI on little creatures like rabbits, squirrels, mice, chickens all work well?

2, I read that AI for flocks of birds are included. How comprehensive its this option please.
    Would it be similar to a plug-in like "Bird Flock." (Forgive me mentioning another asset, But I just wanted to clarify.)

3, Can the "predictor" AI mechanic be turned off. So creatures dont attack each other?

4, Can the flight AI be assigned, in combination with fantasy creatures like Pegasus. Allowing for grazing, and free roaming and then flight?
    And does the integrated navmesh auto allow for re-landing etc?

Thank you for any help on this amazing looking program.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. Tethys

Tethys

I can answer two of these.

1. Size is not a limitation. I have found it works well for creatures of varying sizes and both quadrupeds and bipeds.

3. Yes, all creatures can be made to not attack anything else. In fact, by default this is how it works. You have to add the interaction in order to get one creature to attack another.

Not sure on 2 and 4. I use Bird Flock in conjunction with ICE as flocks were not around when I started using it heh. Hope that helps.

JDrem1 likes this.
  16. JDrem1

JDrem1

hello, and thank you so much for the time. Yes it really does help.

So basically just use any creature (animal) asset we have with their legacy animations, but assign the free roaming (or whatever) AI is needed to them?

And as to the other reply. Oh so you have both Bird Flock, and the flocking mechanic in ICE. Have you ever tried. Or even done a quick test with ICE? You know you want to. chuckle. ;) JK.
    I'm just wondering how it differers, or if its a like for like. (I did read that it (ICE) also has landing spots. But not what the free roam / avoidance, and flocking was like.

Again thank you so much for helping.

17. rasto61

rasto61

Do you mean https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/3897 ?
    Ice does not do that out of the box, but it is very configurable and you can achieve flocking behavior.
    This shows the basics
    how you cen get something similar.

Dwight_Everhart and JDrem1 like this.
  18. radiantboy

radiantboy

How do I make an enemy keep attacking me? He runs up hits once then stops, I cannot get this hitting to continue happening.

Also why dont we use the official forum? much better than this.

julianr likes this.
  19. julianr

julianr

On the attack behavior, at the bottom of it I believe there is an option to go to another behavior, just select attack again. As long as you have a rule for when the player or ai that he/she is attacking has a rule if distance is greater than > 1 or 2, then go to another behavior (like run, or walk), then it should keep the target and still follow.

lod3 likes this.
  20. JDrem1

JDrem1

This was another big help. Thank yo so much.

After seeing this, I think i would need Bird Flock as well. seeing as this guy is having some trouble making the little fish swim around, and I'm very probably not as "au fait" with Unity as he is. As well as what I want would seem a lot more advanced, with birds wheeling, and landing, and the like.

So my time would be better spent in ICE to start with, by getting to grips with land based animals.
    I would rather not have to get both due to budget constraints. and my wallet shouting at me. Hmm.

So just the question of creatures like Pegasus now.
    Would ICE handle both the AI for a creature like this grazing, (or whatever) and then taking flight, and then fly / free-roaming, and the landing again, with auto ground correction.

It would seem that this would be a yes, seeing as part of the ICE blurb says "Dragons" among the creatures.

If anyone knows the answer please let me know.

And thank you so much for the awesome help so far. :)

21. radiantboy

radiantboy

Oh you mean "link" ? Never seen that, thanks very much I will try!! This thing is warping my brain.

EDIT: That works thank you very much!

Ryuichi173, julianr and lod3 like this.
  22. julianr

julianr

yeah, sorry not at my desk so I couldn't remember the name.

23. julianr

julianr

No problem :) now on to the next task!

24. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi Dayn1

As long as I know, ICE can handle grazing, free-roaming.
    On the other hands, "take off" and "landing" is not smooth compared to famous AAA titles like Skyrim or Total war Warhammer does. This is one of where Pit(@icetec) is trying to makes better now.
    Part of ground correction is supported but limited because ICE is not IK solution but AI kit. If you need complete ground correction, you should buy FinalIK or other IK solutions.

Teila likes this.
  25. radiantboy

radiantboy

you know how to deal damage to a ice creature? :)

26. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hey guys, sorry for all the questions, I have my enemy now taking damage from my ufps guy, when he dies he vanishes. How do I get him to a) get hit and play an animation, b) when he dies play animation and not vanish. I had this working back in 2015 using IMPACT I think but I dont see it in there anymore, I have specified a death anim in DEAD, but he still vanishes.

edit: For death anim I see you configure death animation in behaviours -> dead and in status "removing delay" needs to be set to say 5 seconds. That works nice... Although still not worked out how to get "wounded" animation playing, I have defined it etc but it doesnt happen.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  27. Harekelas

Harekelas

I got another question: How can I implement an animation that requires a non-uniform movement?
    Like a crocodile creeping motion, the croc takes a few steps then keep down on the ground for 0.5 sec then creeps again. If I use a uniform speed, the croc will slide when the animation is on ground.
    Any good ideas?

28. sylon

sylon

Like many, many other things, i haven't figured this out either.
    I have tried to "link" behaviors. But i'm probably doing something wrong. On the behaviors tab, last item is "link". (disabled by default).

I guess this is the way to go. Maybe you can get something working.

29. radiantboy

radiantboy

Finally got something cool going with ICE, still no wounding anims, but this is kind of cool (if anyone objects to me posting link here please let me know).

30. Harekelas

Harekelas

I use link to create behavior templates, using empty rules link to different behavior can create different groups.
    but non-uniform movements I don't think link can do. Maybe need the author to add a speed impulse option in advanced speed control.
    And I really need a toggle to disable the function that let the moving speed only generate values but don't drive the creature around so I can use blended root motions with it. Now I can only set the speed to zero to keep creatures in place and let root motion do the movements, but then the blend tree would be meaningless, I can't set the speed parameter dynamically.
    Really need the author to add these two functions:
    1. customizable forward speed impulse option to let non-uniform speed movements available
    2. toggle off the speed driven code but still generates speed values for the animator to read.
    @icetec

31. julianr

julianr

(a) create a Death Behaviour, and set an advanced rule at the very start to show if AI health < 1 go to Death, on the Death behavior you can play the death animation.

(b) for wounded, there may be an impact rule of some kind to detect if AI is being hit so the impact/wounded behavior would kick in You might need something when the AI is attacking, as its looping on the attack sequence it might override the wound and you'd need to set a priority value.

Ryuichi173 likes this.
  32. lod3

lod3

Already told @radiantboy, and hopefully Pit is fine with me mentioning this, but a proper PAIN behavior is coming with 1.4. Currently pain animations and sound are not possible.

Ryuichi173 and julianr like this.
  33. julianr

julianr

That's good, but it can be done now with influences. Where you inflict damage onto the AI and play a hit back animation. Works well with AI vs AI also. But a better pain behavior is welcome :)

Ryuichi173 and Teila like this.
  34. hengeworks

hengeworks

This asset looks pretty interesting. I do notice a lot of sliding/skating in some of the demo videos. Does this asset feature anything for animation control, or is the Unity Animation Tree completely independent of ICE? Does it provide/need integration with tools that might improve foot placement, e.g. something like Opsive's Third-Person Controller or FinalIK?

35. lod3

lod3

Yes. You can adjust speed and transition time, but to overcome the sliding you would need to adjust the movement speed to match the animation.

Both Opsive's TPC and Final IK are supported, along with these: http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEIntegration.pdf

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Ryuichi173 likes this.
  36. JDrem1

JDrem1

Hello,and than yo for the reply. Yes I would eventually like FinalIK, but I dont think its what I need (or can afford) ATM.

Also there must be some way to make a horse graze in ICE, and then take flight, (The wing animations are already attached to the Pegasus model I have), and then land again, as the navmesh is again already in ICE.

It would be great if the dev could throw in their two cents on this subject. And again, as Dragons are mentioned, surely the mechanic for a large (none avian, none humanoid) model to walk, then fly, and the land again would seem very possible.
    Again thank you for your help.
    Very much appreciated.

37. julianr

julianr

It should all be possible, it'll take a bit of work, but plan it out on paper each stage, starting with walking, running then reaching a certain distance before taking flight, or just idle then take flight when no target is in close range. Then land at close range, before using ground based behaviours. I implemented a dinosaur in the early stages of the game development back when ICE was around 1.1/1.2 I believe. So lots more functionality today :)

Then;
    dinotrex2.JPG

38. JDrem1

JDrem1

That looks scary.. Did that model come with the package?

And thank yo so much for the reply, yes I thought it would be possible. Gonna take some learning, as a noob I am. But well as long as its possible that is great news.

Appreciate the feedback, and the awesome screenie. Id like to see that thing in action.

39. julianr

julianr

Thanks. No it didn't come with the package, but you can find many dinosaurs or flying dragons on the asset store or other 3D sites that sell assets to prototype on.

The key is to not give up and keep trying, write down different combinations that work out for you, save different settings at each stage so you don't muck it up which can be easily done - but most of all read what each option does, else you could have too many settings for what is needed.

icetec, Ryuichi173 and JDrem1 like this.
  40. JDrem1

JDrem1

Great advise, thank you so much.
    I really appreciate it.

icetec and julianr like this.
  41. neoshaman

neoshaman

That dinosaur need a mario cap

Dwight_Everhart likes this.
  42. hengeworks

hengeworks

43. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

A bit of both? I mean it has it's own kind of demo one but it's really meant for you to use your own or another.

Edit: This is an AI system after all and not a complete kit.

44. JDrem1

JDrem1

@jessejarvis

Hello.
    edit. i reworded this to make more sense, because it says pretty much what I was asking on the store page.

So by "needing" other controllers. Could you give an example please. (for the noobs like me.)

I dont understand why you need another character controller if this does everything the store page says?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

This was the old post.
    Im confused. I am new to Unity but thought Id gota pretty good handle on what it did.
    I bought this. about 10 minutes before hengeworks made his post, primarily so I could set up random, and roaming, areas for animals, and creatures, and humans.. As well as way-pointed patrol pathing.
    So this wont do that unless I get another program?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  45. Harekelas

Harekelas

It doesn't need another character controller.
    It can drive creatures by itself and supports several other well-sold controller assets.
    So don't worry about it, you can either use direct animation control to execute your animations or use unity's animator controller to define animation flows by setting parameters then use ICE's advanced animation control feature to manipulate the parameters of the animator. You can learn a lot basic usage of ICE through these 3 videos:

Dwight_Everhart and lod3 like this.
  46. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, @TonanBora
    I'm struggling to set up a flying creature's behaviors. I found it a bit tricky, it has to walk on ground and fly in the sky, how should I do it? Any suggestions?
    And also how can I set up a water, land and air triphibian creature? Like a wild duck.

47. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Primary controller is included but it is just primary thing.
    It is enough if your purpose is to learn or joy how to make a game with Unity.
    You may have to consider buying asset if it is for commercial purpose and your team don't have programmers who well trained.

48. Ryuichi173

Ryuichi173

Hi @Harekelas

I'm not @TonanBora but I saw he was just asking Pit @icetec to that.
    And yes, it is tricky and not smooth as I mentioned above.

It might be better to create other type of creatures like Bear or fish till @icetec finish to update ICE to v1.4, and return to the forum. ICE have huge thing to learn to make it works fine. It is not might be waste of times.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  49. Harekelas

Harekelas

Thanks for the reply :)
    I can now manage to let the bird make a take off and landing transition, but always encounters an issue: the target move position does not update even if I set the reach update and the creature has reached the position.
    I think the author really should give us some demo about several typical animal settings: lone land animal, land pack animals, birds can walk swim and fly, fishes and marine animals.
    And the way point updating system is a bit confusing, weight settings sometimes doesn't work. some interaction rules can not be executed even when all the requirement are reached.
    Don't know if it's something I did wrong or they are bugs.

Ryuichi173, Nateply and Firlefanz73 like this.
  50. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

@Dayn1 ^ That. You don't need anything but if you used just ICE and you wanted a functional character (player) that can jump, crawl, crouch, sprint, etc then you need to consider getting a "Character Controller" for that or making your onw. Ice comes with a simple setup that uses Unity's Standard Assets to move the character around in first person and an axe to attack to show the implementation.

Edit: On a seperate note... is 1.4 going to be compatible with our current setups? I mean I am doing AI work right now setting up deers, wolves, etc and I don't want to have to redo that once 1.4 is out. Should I wait or can I continue?