Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. icetec

icetec

2. icetec

icetec

Hi mattis89, that's true so far. The basic idea is that melee weapons but also impacts of body parts are always dangerous and don't need an additional trigger, but of course this can results unwanted problems, as you have mentioned above and so I have added the posibilities to activate and deactivate impacts by using the event-option of a behaviour.

Here you can find the updated v1.4 scripts, they are compatible with ICE v1.3.6, so you can import them directly.
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ImpactUpdate1_4.unitypackage

To fix your issue, just open your ATTACK behaviour, enable the Events options and add the following events ...

The first event activates the Impact option as soon as the behavior starts, and the second one will disable the Impact option again at the end of the behavior (don't forget to activate the END button).

Have a great day!

Pit

3. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Pit,

Thanks for that.....

Yes. By adding a creature register to the scene and adding an existing RFPSP enemy character to it I can see that this indeed adds an ICE Creature Control Script to the characters properties. (see attached screen shot)....

You can see that in the Ice menu drop down the step to add ICE damage adapter is not available to me?

When I run the level the enemy character behaves as normally it would under RFPS Prefab control.....e.g. Attacks and can be killed.

However this may well be because in editor the character still has all of the RFPS Prefab Scripts attached to it as well as the ICE creature control one which has been added by the system right at the bottom as you can see....

I am presuming that at the moment ICE has no control of the character but RFPSP does? Is that the case?

I have not used the ICE creature control script features to add any behaviours there...

What I don't understand as it does not detail this in the ICE manual is - Should the RFPS Character scripts be left active or disabled/removed and everything replicated or behaviours added solely via ICE. i.e. Is the RFPSP/ICE integration designed to use both sets of scripts together or is that likely to cause any conflict?

The only other thing I have concern with is with ICE in use my game level fps speed is cut by half from never falling below the Unity default of 60fps under RFPS Prefab to never getting above 30fps with ICE attached, which is a major concern unless it will settle down :)

Thanks for any feedback on those questions.

Peter

upload_2017-5-8_5-4-30.png

4. unicat

unicat

The turret works now without adding the new script. I have only changed the old script in ICEIntegration->Scripts->Components with this new one. But my npc doesn`t work with or without the new script attached.
    Must investigate further.
    Edit: Attaching the turret script to my npc`s gun works too but the ranged weapon script doesn`t work. Very confusing.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  5. icetec

icetec

Have you correctly assigned all RFPSP relevant layers (e.g., NPCs, players, etc.)? If you want, please contact me in Skype, so I can take a look to your settings and can assist you in realtime.

6. unicat

unicat

I think all layers are right. Have never used skype. I must read about and installing it first. Thank you for your help.

7. icetec

icetec

Hi Peter, just add the ICEWorldDamageAdapter manually to your creatures and / or your ICE-based objects (eg Items, Bodyparts, etc.). Also, ICECreatureControl does not require any other RFPS scripts, so you should remove all RFPS-related scripts from your creature, otherwise they could interfere with each other.

@unicat and @petercoleman, here you can find a small demo scene with RFPSP and ICE ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICERFPSPDemo.unitypackage

Is nothing special but includes all settings for melee and ranged weapons, interactors and behaviors etc. 5 soldier and 15 zombies fight against each other but also against the player.

I hope this will be helpful to you!

Have a great day!

Pit

8. rasto61

rasto61

9. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Pit,

Thanks for that.

How do I load the demo scene you attached into Unity. The downloaded file contains .tar files, but I don't see a Unity Package to import to unity anywhere?

The downloaded file named ICERFPSPDemo.tar itself contains ICERFPSPDemo folder with only folders containing other tar files?

Peter

10. unicat

unicat

Yep, there is something wrong with the archive. Video looks great :)

11. petercoleman

petercoleman

I think I give up with this. I will never get it to work

Can't get a ICE tutorial demo to work.

Can't even get the ICE wizard to set up a scene that will work.

Can't be that hard to integrate an asset after a few days of trying to get a simple thing like a character to function and walk around. I have been using Unity for a few years and I can't be as stupid as this makes me feel.

Might be useful if I could get the ICERFPSPDemo.unitypackage that I can import to my project and see if that works as should like the video above.

:)

Firlefanz73 likes this.
  12. mattis89

mattis89

I have the same issue... or I had the same issue when the npc didnt deal damage to player... but i fixed it like this;

Assigned the body part script to the NPC character let´s say hand. and a collider.. and a rigidbody ( dont know if its needed tough)
    and checked the damage part in "body part script".. whatever it sayed dont remember..
    and then a collider to the player.. work probably with rigidbody too..

13. mattis89

mattis89

I didnt really get the animation damage to work.. The event method was greyed out so I wanst able to write.... So I used the body part script to deal damage... but it´s the same there that if i run in the creature from the side and he dont hit me I get damage... does this fix work for that too or only animations events?

14. icetec

icetec

Hi Peter, here again the demo package ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICERFPSPDemo2.unitypackage
    ... if you get a tar-file again, please try it with another browser or download the zip file here ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICERFPSPDEMO.zip

... and here a small check-list:

Preparing the player:
    1. Add ICECreaturePlayer script to your RFPSP player
    2. Make sure that the Player is listed in the CreatureRegister
    Preparing the items, melee- and ranged weapons:
    1. Add ICECreatureItem or ICECreatureMeleeWeapon to all the tools or melee weapos your creature have to use
    2. Add a Collider and a Rigidbody to the object
    3. Enable the Impact settings and define the desired damage and forces
    4. Assign the object as child-object to the creature (e.g. to the hand)
    Preparing the creature:
    1. Add ICECreatureControl to your creature and set up the essential settings
    2. Add at least one suitable Collider and a Rigidbody to your creature
    3. Make sure that your creature is listed in the CreatureRegister
    4. Remove all RFPSP related scripts form the creature and its child-objects (if it was a RFPSP AI)
    5. Add ICECreatureBodyPart and a Collider to all the desired body parts and define the Status and/or Impact Settings. (optional)
    6. Add a new interactor for the player and define the desired selection criteria and behaviours (e.g. HUNT, ATTACK)
    Tip: if the target is not an ICEWorldEntity type (such as ICECreatureControl, ICECreaturePlayer, ICECreatureItem etc.) the Target Event can be enabled, so just add a suitable entity script to the target object to enable the event feature.
    RFPSP integration
    1. Open your Player Settings and add ICE_RFPSP to the Scripting Define Symbols.
    2. Open the ICE Intergration menu and press 'Adapt RFPSP Scripts'.
    3. Add the ICEWorldDamageAdapter to your creatures.
    4. Make sure that creatures and player are assigned to the correct RFPSP layers (NPCs, Player)

Here you can find further information about the integration ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEIntegration.pdf
    ... and here about the damage handling ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEDamageHandling.pdf

I hope this will be helpful to you but however, I'm sure there is missing just a small detail in your settings, such as the ICECreaturePlayer script on your player, a missing layer or something like this ...

Have a great day!

Pit

Tethys likes this.
  15. icetec

icetec

Hi mattis89, it seems that you are missing a ICE script on your target, so please check the target and add the ICECreaturePlayer script to your player character, ICECreatureItem to all usable tools and items, the ICECreatureLocation to all static objects ... this will allow you to use the event feature ...

mattis89 likes this.
  16. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Pit,

Thanks for all your help.....

I am almost there. I already got hold of a download for the ICERFPSPDemo2.unitypackage and from that I have been able to get things working in my project test level for this....

At this time I am just stuck with the player taking any damage from the enemy character that shoots at the player - the bullets if there are any don't register damage?

i tried adding an ICEWorldDamageAdapter to the player but that makes no difference....

I don't mind being invulnerable but more fun when you take some hits :)

Probably missing something I need to or add further though everything (Player/Enemy) is taken directly from the demo you kindly supplied which was very helpful.

As said I am almost there and just need my player taking damage and I am up and running :)

Thanks for all your help which is very much appreciated.

Peter

17. icetec

icetec

You are welcome peter! What kind of player do you use? Is it the original RFPSP character or do you use your own configuration? ... the FPS Main prefab was not included, so maybe you need to add the ICECreaturePlayer. The ICECreaturePlayer should be added to the FPS Player object and not to the FPS Main prefab. The FPS Player is also the final target and must be registered as reference object in the CreatureRegister (please have a look how RFPSP organized the player object at runtime)

Btw. The demo m4 setup just simulates a shot and doesn't use projectiles, but you could change this in the ammo settings of the RangedWeapon script, basically ICE provides 3 diverent modes here SIMULATED, PROJECTILE, BALISTIC PROJECTILE but while using the RFPSP integration ICE will using the native damage handling of RFPSP, so all ICE weapons can damage RFPSP object and vice versa.

best wishes, pit

18. petercoleman

petercoleman

Hi Pt,

Thanks again for the reply.

I am using everything from the downloaded ICERFPSPDemo2.unitypackage so player and enemy are yours from the demo package. I copied everything from the demo across to my own project and they are everything is exactly as in your demo. i.e. I am using your ICECreaturePlayer and the ICESoldier with M4 weapon as the enemy. I have disabled all of my original RFPSP ones so in fact things work as they do in your demo package....

In your demo package the player is also not affected by damage. This I have tested from the zombies melee attacks after setting the ICE Player character to be the Zombie target so they attack the player directly as opposed to the ICE soldier. When the zombies strike your demo player no damage is registered and his health remains full.

I will have a look at your comments re : projectile for the M4 weapon in my project level and see if I can get one set up and get it to register damage to the player.

That will have to be another day and hopefully that will work. 1.40am now and I must give up for today.

Thanks again.

Peter.

19. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I'll have to wait for the Ultimate Survival integration :p I tried to integrate it myself but seems I couldn't do it. Dang! :D

20. icetec

icetec

Hi Rasto61, in addition to UniStorm ICE v1.4 will also support Weather Maker and TENKOKU and therefore it's a good idea to include also an integration for Enviro to complete the package. Will go in contact with Hendrik to fix it ...

Have a great day!

Pit

zenGarden likes this.
  21. icetec

icetec

Hi jessejarvis, the integration for Ultimate Survival is already done, I'll send you the update link as soon as I'm back in office.

Have a great day!

Pit

22. zenGarden

zenGarden

Hi @icetec ,

Spawn specific locations is another custom modification.
    For a dungeon some few unique magic ranged creatures will only spawn at precise locations like some heights the player can't reach walking but he can use ranged weapons.

Ice Register will spawn the creatures like it usually do but if there is some spawn locations available in the list, it will in priority spawn creatures at these positions (position and rotation).

This more some general AI option to spawn creatures at level designed specific places (guards, multi boss, specific floor spawning places, unreachable heights, protected places ...)

I'll post the modification code here, do you think this option could be included in the plugin ?

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Ryuichi173 likes this.
  23. rasto61

rasto61

@icetec
    Maybe this is a little too much, but would there be a possibility of implementing something like a prototype creature? A prototype would just be a regular ice creature. Other ice creatures could then use the prototype and override specific actions. Changing the prototype would then change the base behaviors in all creatures that use that protoype.
    This way it would be very easy to manage a larger number of creatures with similar behaviors but small variations. Or is there an easier way to do this already?

Additionally there is some slight garbage generated by ICECreatureCharacter updates. This does not play very well with a greater amount of npcs in the scene on mobile. Would you be able to reduce this?

Ryuichi173, icetec and Firlefanz73 like this.
  24. unicat

unicat

Got it all working now. The demo scene was really helpful. Thank you @icetec .

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    icetec likes this.
  25. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Awesome! Thanks! :D

icetec likes this.
  26. icetec

icetec

Hello Rasto61, I am currently discussing a similar feature with @RonnyDance in a private conversation and plan to implement a functionality to load presets at runtime. And first fragments of such a feature are already given in the current release while using the 'Spawn Randomization' feature of the CreatureRegister. Of course, the current randomization options are limited but in this context your reference creature represents the prototype and could be customized by random values and/or several presets during the spawning process. But to be open for other spawning tools I'll implement this in a separate component.

Yes, of course ... can you give me a tip or examples, then it is easier to eliminate the disturbing elements?

Have a great day!

Pit

RonnyDance and Firlefanz73 like this.
  27. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Does anybody have ICE working with Ultimate Survival? I sent @icetec my issues of what's happening, it doens't seem to be integrating properly. I ahve the ICEWorldDamageAdapter on the mobs and player but damage isn't being translated. It's also using the US AI instead of ICE AI.

28. icetec

icetec

Hi Peter, here again both downloads which includes now also the FPS Main prefab.
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/RFPSP/ICERFPSPDemo.unitypackage

... zip file in cases the package will be downloaded as tar
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/RFPSP/ICERFPSPDemo.zip

The ICE FPS Main represents the prepared RFPS Player including all ICE-related settings. This prefab was not included in the scene folder yesterday and because of the missing settings, your player could not interact with the creatures. But the updated demo should be working now out of the box!

Have a great day!

Pit

29. icetec

icetec

Hi jessejarvis, did you follow these steps?
    1. Open your Player Settings and add ICE_ULTIMATE_SURVIVAL to the Scripting Define Symbols.
    2. Add the ICEWorldDamageAdapter to your creatures.
    3. Add ICECreaturePlayer to your Ultimate Survival player
    Now the integration is done and you can start to prepare your creature as desired e.g. equip it with a ICECreatureRangedWeapon or ICECreatureMeleeWeapon and enjoy the fight ...

Here you can find further information about the integration ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEIntegration.pdf
    ... and here about the damage handling ...
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEDamageHandling.pdf

I have to go now, but I'm back online tomorrow morning ...

Have a great day!

Pit

Tethys likes this.
  30. mattis89

mattis89

aaaaaaaahh ofcourse! S***... I made alot of work now for nothing... I made the body part damage work, but realising now that if I use animation events I can have multiple attack animations....

thanks!! =)

31. Tethys

Tethys

I just wanted to say, thanks in general to @icetec (Pit) for being so helpful all the time and making such and awesome robust product. Great support - some of the most helpful, patient and friendly support I've seen in the 3-4 years we've been developing with Unity. :)

wood333, julianr, icetec and 2 others like this.
  32. mattis89

mattis89

Hey again @icetec !

Sensoria on creatures, it dosent seem to mather if i put the Auditory % to be 1 or 100.. the hearing is equal good anyways.. I take like on foot step and he reacts from a few hundred meters away... ? dosent seem to find any other settings for this...

Thanks man! Start to really like this asset now when I have the creatures to intergate with me.

33. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Yeah I followed the steps. I'll just wait for you to get an example or something together, thanks @icetec :)

34. DivineMercy

DivineMercy

Hey Pit I need some help, I came across an issue that I can't seem to fix - check out your Skype. Thanks!

35. sylon

sylon

Hi

I need some help as well.
    Hope this gets some reply, as my previous questions sadly did not..

I have a cow.
    For some reason, my cow get's spawned outside of my terrain.
    The object itself seems fine to me. No scaling or exotic components, no other scripts.
    I have tried every combination of settings i could think of, but the problem persists.

I have other animals that spawn just fine, but my cow doesn't.
    When i pool my cow, all cows get placed outside my terrain.
    - Spawn point : HOME object
    - Random Range 0-7
    - Level D + O : 0

Any idea what could be my problem?

36. magique

magique

I'm seeing Info messages to the debug console such as the following:

Info: The agent cannot reach the destination

But I have both Debug and Info turned off. How do I get rid of these Info messages?

37. icetec

icetec

Hello magic, that is correct. Some single debug calls in v1.3.6 already use a new degug function, which is still not connected to the editor debug option. Basically this should not be a problem, but it is of course unpleasant if the console is flooded with messages. In your case, a creature can not reach a certain position on the navigation mesh. This can happen occasionally and is not really critical, but if there are too many messages, you should check the possible target positions of your creature. It may be that a target or other dynamic position values are outside of the given navigation mesh, so your creature could never reach these positions.

Anyway, here you can find a small update of the ice_CreatureMove script which is using the editor debug option. Just import the update package or replace the ice_CreatureMove.cs with this modified script.

http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/f...ol_136_Move_PrintDebugLog_update.unitypackage
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICECreatureControl_136_Move_PrintDebugLog_update.zip

Have a great day!

Pit

38. icetec

icetec

Hello Sylon, please enable the debug options of the CreatureRegister to visualize your given spawn areas. Make sure that all spawning areas are at the right place and that the respective surfaces are assigned to your "WalkableSurface" layer.

Please check this also at runtime to ensure that spawnpoints do not change their position at the start (e.g. by assigning them to a new parent or something like this).

Tip: If you are using the internal hierarchy management of the CreatureRegister, you should deactivate all hierarchy groups that contain spawnpoints, especially in cases where the transform position of the given hierarchy root object isn't set to zero.

I hope this will be helpful to you so far but please feel free to contact whenever you have questions or if you run into a problem with ICE and in urgent cases you can contact me also via skype, so I'll try to support you in realtime.

Have a great day!

Pit

39. zenGarden

zenGarden

There is a function that tells when the destination can't be reached, this should be called by Ice Creatures plugin before each call to NavMeshAgent to avoid any issues ?

40. sylon

sylon

Thank you Pit.

My cows are spawning ok now.
    I moved my spawn point to an area that was completely flat and without obstacles and now i see all cows where they should be.
    I don't understand however what went wrong before. The previous location had some rocks lying around and there was some (+-1 unit) level difference in my terrain. But enough room for 100 cows (I'm spawning 5). If ICE tries to spawn a creature, but there is an obstacle, does this cause the object to be placed somewhere out in nowhere?
    My terrain layer is assigned to ground handling btw.
    But i am happy to have some result at least :)

Grtz

41. KimLaughton

KimLaughton

Hi!

Just bought the Creature Control but when I try to run it I get this compiler error:

Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Core/Editor/Core/EditorUtilities/ice_creature_editor_essentials.cs(70,39): error CS0029: Cannot implicitly convert type `MoveObject' to `ICE.Creatures.Objects.MoveObject'

I'm on 5.6.0f3

Any ideas? Not sure if I'm doing something wrong - doesn't seem that others have had it.

Thanks,
    Kim

42. magique

magique

43. mattis89

mattis89

Yo @icetec !

I´ve checked the "Avoid Water" on my creature and assign water layer in creature settings... he´s still following me in the water... most logical reasoon is ?

Thanks man! =)

44. icetec

icetec

done :)
    Hello Kim, did you import ICE into an existing project or into a new one? It seems that there is already another class with the name 'MoveObject' in your project. Please look for 'MoveObject' and if you have found another asset that contains such a class, please remove it temporarily and let me know which asset it is so I can try to find a solution.

Btw. In case you used an older version of ICE, please delete the old ICE folder before importing the current version.

I hope this will be helpful to you so far but please feel free to contact whenever you have questions or if you run into a problem with ICE and in urgent cases you can contact me also via skype, so I'll try to support you in realtime.

Have a great day!

Pit

45. icetec

icetec

Hi mattis89, for performance reasons, Ground Check and Water Avoidance are handled in the same Raycast function, so please add the required water layer also to the ground layer list.

Btw. this will be changed in future versions by using the additional water layer list

Have a great day!

Pit

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    julianr, Tethys and mattis89 like this.
  46. mattis89

mattis89

Awesomee!! Thanks man!

icetec likes this.
  47. KimLaughton

KimLaughton

Thanks Pit!

Yes, imported into an existing project. It looks like it was something in Playmaker - I removed this script and the error went away...

Kim

Attached Files:

48. Tethys

Tethys

Hi @icetec quick question regarding this - if your water is on the water layer, setup like this for avoidance, but has no colliders on the water, can it still be avoided? Trying to sort this right now and how to go about it - just started integrating ICE into my new VR project and initially my deer wandered into me water heh. It is worth mentioning my world in this project is also procedurally generated. Anywho, thanks in advance if you have any suggestion.

49. lukamas233

lukamas233

hi, is this asset Sticky Stick Stuck going to have possible implementation with ice as an adapter?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15021

it should allow a creature to pick up another with its mouth or any body part, I was hoping I could do something, with Elephants grabbing an ai humanoid character with its trunk, and sending the ai character flying to their death like in Far Cry 4 For example, because I have an Asian Elephant, and I would like to do something similar to that, with Ice Creature Control.

Is there are a way to make an AI humanoid character get picked up by a ice creature like an elephant and get sent flying by my elephant's trunk?

thanks in advance lukamas233

wood333 likes this.
  50. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's a very specific need.
    You can create actions about your grab and throw animations and play them based on conditions you need like character distance and field of view.
    Once the grab animation plays if a character is in collision with trunk, you could call your own functions to parent the character to the trunk, and call another function when the throw animation plays to unparent the character and apply a force to make it fly.

Ryuichi173 likes this.