Search Unity

[UPDATED] ICECreatureControl v1.4.0 - creature AI for enemies, animals, monsters, zombies ...

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by icetec, Aug 11, 2015.

1. icetec

icetec

Malbers, jonfinlay, Adrad and 3 others like this.
  2. icetec

icetec

3. ebizcraftsman

ebizcraftsman

WOW!!!

Can you please send us the demo scene in unity so we can see how it works?

Also, how do I get my hands on 1.3.5 ??

Really need to get this damage and UFPS player working, I am at a standstill cause I cant get it to work :(

thanks

Tethys and Alex3333 like this.
  4. BryanO

BryanO

What are the chances we can get a UMOBA adapter? ICE would be great for creating AI Heros!

5. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

@icetec great video! Thansk for the insight on what is to come. Don't forget to include damage visualizations for the enemy so they can react to being hit. Thanks man:)

6. MstislavPavlov

MstislavPavlov

Hi! Where i can get 1.3.x version?
    And can u share tutor about damage, attack speed and etc(without integration with ufps and etc).
    Also interesting how to make event subscription on start\end interaction.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Tethys, ParovozVR and Alex3333 like this.
  7. AcePhilips85

AcePhilips85

Hello! I have recently purchased your ICE Creature Control asset and am very excited about it. This is by far the easiest to use AI asset I have and I really applicate the time and effort you have put into it.

Having said this, I do have an issue. I am trying to tntegrate your asset with opsive third person controller.

I have downloaded and successfully imported opsives integration files for the ICE control into my project.

I have the creature in my scene wandering, sensing my player object, hunting it, and playing its attack animation and transition back into hunt, sense abilities and eventrually stopping its hunt cycle and going back into wandering when the player character gets too far out of range.

Here is the problem I face.

When the creature attacks my player (the one I used opsive TPC to set up) it deals no damage to it.

The creature can not effectively kill my player character, and this is a problem.

Upon further research I understand you have a file to download on your website ICEcreaturecontrol.com called
    ICEcreatureTPCadaptor that I have downloaded.

I can not unzip this file and drag it into my assets folder to use in the project.

I assume this is a necessary.

When I try to unzip the file using winzip here are the error messages I get. I have attached them to this thread.

Any help you could provide I would be greateful and thankful for as this is one of the final bridges for me to cross en route to completion of my project.

Thank you very much again for your time.

Attached Files:

8. Hurtful-Toad

Hurtful-Toad

Hi, I just got this software a month or so ago and it's working great! But the Readme file and manual are V1.1 so I'm not sure if its the latest version, so please let me know as well if there is a newer one I could download. The UFPS interface is working well and I would be glad to share my settings with anyone that is working on getting this set up. But my problem right now (and I see that this has already been logged into the ICE bug tracker system) is I cant save presets. I get this ===>

InvalidOperationException: To be XML serializable, types which inherit from IEnumerable must have an implementation of Add(System.Object) at all levels of their inheritance hierarchy. UnityEngine.Transform does not implement Add(System.Object).

Please help because this would really help with workflow. Also, I can contribute some awesome demos soon if you wish! Thanks for the great AI tool!

9. Hurtful-Toad

Hurtful-Toad

BTW, here's a demo I did a couple weeks ago using the UFPS adapter of ICE. I used very little AI to get the wolves to chase me so didn't put ICE in the credits but it does demonstrate both creature and player damage!
    Link =====>

Malbers, arnesso and Tethys like this.
  10. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I know the new version is supposed to work with flying creatures (birds, dragons, etc.) but can it be used for fish in the ocean or lake?

11. Tethys

Tethys

Haha, I just asked Jacky what did you use for AI on that demo scene. We use Terrain Engine as well and have Ice - we just haven't figured out the damage part yet heh.

12. Hurtful-Toad

Hurtful-Toad

lol, small world huh Tethys? Yea, ICE works real well with the voxel generated terrains since you cant use a Navmesh. I was able to get a pretty good attacking bear yesterday. Haven't tried the flying animals yet (the spaceships in demo use something else).

Damage works out pretty good. Youve got vp_FPPlayerDamageHandler on the player. Then on creature you have ICE_Creature_UFPSAdapter with Damage Method Name set to Damage. You may also have to have rigidbody and box collider on the creature

Tethys likes this.
  13. Alex3333

Alex3333

Which version did you do it?? 1.1 or 1.3.5 ? Write more in detail how you did it , if you is not difficult.

14. Hurtful-Toad

Hurtful-Toad

I wander how I can tell what version I have for sure..? Documentation and readme file say 1.1. Anyway, I'll try to put together detailed steps that I use in the next few days. May go ahead and do a new one with different animals.

Tethys likes this.
  15. GhereGames

GhereGames

I've been working with ICE for a while, and I've gotten basic behavior actions down, but when I try to create more advanced ones, I'm having trouble finding resources that have enough information. The documentation goes into more theory than practice. I'm looking for sample projects that I can look at and use to get information about setting up NPCs that wander, chase, attack, etc. I'm also using UFPS so any samples that I can look at the ICE Creature Control Script for those would be great.

Also, what is the current version? I have 1.1.18 which is the version the Asset Store has available.

Thank you,

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Nateply, StevenPicard and Tethys like this.
  16. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

I know right...this is a video of an older version which looks way easier to use then 1.1.18 that is on the asset store: VIDEO . Check out the ease of setup!

17. tomspom

tomspom

The creator hasn't posted here since the 6th which has me wondering if I should buy this since plenty of people have said they have had trouble implementing the asset with their project. For me, it's a toss up between this and Emerald AI, and I am looking for people who have used both to suggest one over the other. I'm looking for an AI that handles herds well.

18. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

@tomspom Get ICE before the update is released because when the price goes up and you see what it can do you will regret it. I've not used Emerald AI, but I researched it and I haven't seen it offer options such as that of ICE. I own Behavior Designer( which I love but is a tough one to learn) compared to ICE, hands down ICE is noob friendly lol(not calling you a noob just saying), I believe it is more flexible and you can integrate it into your own system probably without even touching the ICE code because of the tags and other characteristics you can use for your creatures to interact with your player. On the player end you may have to code if you are using a custom PC controller though (for damage events and such to your player - in that case you'll need to touch base with the developer of that other asset).

@icetec is very active in releasing adapters and is one of the unique coders on the asset store who in my opinion hasn't released any bugs his work, at least so far I've never experienced it in my use (using ICE almost a year now) because the system always works out how I want. There may be bugs when you try to go deeper in the system but for the ordinary user who just wants some active animal AI you'll be good to go.

19. Jacky_Boy

Jacky_Boy

I have a variety of wild life in my scene roaming, killing each other, and forming communities in my scenes and they work very well in herds.

Tethys likes this.
  20. julianr

julianr

I think Pit is busy updating the adaptors and demos to get 1.3.5 out. The jump between 1.1.8 and 1.3.5 means that everything needs updating adaptor wise. Looking forward to getting my hands on 1.3.5, it looks like an awesome update. I have both Emerald AI and ICE. Whilst Emerald is easy to setup, it doesn't go indepth like ICE does, so if you are looking for quick and easy setup go for Emerald, but if you are looking for relatively easy setup and advanced capabilities that you need to expand on AI even further later, go for ICE. Both have different qualities.

TonanBora, Tethys and antoripa like this.
  21. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

Has anyone tried using the root motion option in v.3? My animal just walks around in circles without reaching its target. I know Pit had some problems implementing root motion, not sure if it was fixed or not... I'm getting an additional error message saying that the control rig is root motion despite deactivating the root motion tick boxes and creating a new animator controller.

EDIT: Just reverted back to version 1.19, using the exact same animal with the same set up and it's working fine. Seems to be a problem with v.3 and using animals with root motion.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  22. TonanBora

TonanBora

ICE 1.3 is vastly different from the currently released version, and required Pit to completely change quite a number of things, to the point that ICE 1.3 is almost an entirely different asset. Thus, he has to drastically change the documentation, API, and tutorials. Pit really wants to focus on getting these done so he can officially release 1.3, and stays away from the forums to avoid distractions.

I have used both ICE and Emerald, and can say that Emerald is easier to setup, and has a much lower learning curve.
    However, as Julianr pointed out, it is not nearly as in depth and flexible as ICE.

ICE works great for herding, although it will require a little scripting.
    So be prepared to script if you want to use ICE to its fullest potential.
    However, if you, or anyone else needs scripting help with ICE, you can always ask in this thread.
    We have plenty of experienced ICE users who would be willing to lend a hand. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    icetec and Tethys like this.
  23. pixelvspixel

pixelvspixel

Hi, I'm currently trying to get ICE running with a Final IK Character controller. The issue that I've run into is that the character rig has the IK scripts and the Animator on a child object of the Collider,Ridgedbody and Controller script. Of course then when you try to setup animations, ICE tells you there isn't an animator component present and ask if you'd like to create a new one.

Is there a way to access an animator on said Child component from ICE? Thanks!

24. TonanBora

TonanBora

Put the ICE Creature Controller on the child with the Animator.
    You should be able to just click, and drag the ICE Creature Control component from the game object that it is on, onto the child with the animator.

25. GhereGames

GhereGames

Where are some resources to help learn to script with ICE. I want my creatures to immediately go from the Attack behavior to Hit or something else if I damage them. That way, if my player swings and hits them, they abort their attack. At the moment, I have a frame in the animation send a message to damage the UFPS player. If the player hits before this frame, I want it to immediately go to the hit behavior so the attack animation is stopped.

Thanks.

26. pixelvspixel

pixelvspixel

Thanks for the reply Tonan. Problem when I do that, is I start to get the reverse of that problem. If I set Motion Control to say Rigidbody, it can't find that component and offers to make it since the current rigid body exist on the parent object.

27. TonanBora

TonanBora

Ah, then move the Animator component and ICE Creature Control onto the parent object.

28. pixelvspixel

pixelvspixel

Yeah, I've been back on forth with this several times, but haven't found any working combinations. I've even hacked some of the scripts in Final IK apart to let me separate the animator component from the child and move it up to the parent leaving the IK scripts below. I actually thought this might work (even tho it's a terrible way to go about things), but that move just seemed to break animation even though the links were correct.

Such a simple issue. I hate to make a hack in either toolkit just to have an open reference to an animator.

But, thanks again anyhow.

---- edit ---

Well I spent some time this morning and edited the Character Controller and was able to move the animator back up to the parent so ICE can see it. I'm able to drive variables in my animator now, but they still don't actually make anything animate when my AI is roving about the scene.

My guess is this has something to do with the IK being in the equation, but this is just a stab in the dark. I've tried a few different character controllers I have on hand, and I've never actually been able to get direct mode to work, only advanced. But I can't get either to work with this particular rig.

If anyone has any experience driving mecanim animations, I'd love some pointers. I feel like I could just be over looking some setting that is halting all animation control.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  29. Tethys

Tethys

We're now on our second game that COULD use ICE but, like the first one, may never actually implement ICE because its never actually done - we're always waiting for that "big update" and the demo material that's been promised. Not trying to be a dick - but other asset developers have certainly caught a lot more heat for less.

recon0303 likes this.
  30. TonanBora

TonanBora

Does the AI move about, but stand in a static pose?
    If so, you might check the loop settings for the movement animations (such as walk, run, etc) and the idle animations.
    What exactly do you mean by Character Controller?
    Hmm, I have used Final IK along with ICE with no problems, at least the FBBIK Grounder anyway.
    What components of Final IK are you using on the AI?

31. pixelvspixel

pixelvspixel

Awesome, sounds like we have some common ground for me to explain the issue in better detail.

So I'm actually using the Character Controller/Rig from the FBBIK Grounder Demo. (It has some functionality built in for interacting with physics objects that works perfect for my situation.) As I said before, I was finally able to make a few small edits to those scripts and move the animation controller back up to the top level so that ICE automatically finds it.

** Now, BEFORE hooked everything up to ICE again I tested out my edits. The character performed just as before with no errors under user control with the move of the animator. **

When I say Character Controller, I was referring to the Rig/Scripts in different setups like Opsive's Third Person Controller or Ootii's Motion Controller. But I'm currently just using the one from the Grounder Demo.

As far as movement, the character is ambulating about, but hovering above the ground looping a pose from the mid-air fall stance. I check everything on the animations and in ICE to make sure it was set to loop, and it is. So again not quite sure what is up.

Thanks again dude.

--- edit ---

Ok, well I just retraced my steps again and got things working further. Looks like a tag on the side of the Character Controller script wasn't setup when I moved him to fresh flat scene for testing. So thanks anyhow, I'm just glad he's walking now!

What I am still curious about is how to get direct control over mecanim to work, I'm only able to drive things in advanced.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Tethys likes this.
  32. TonanBora

TonanBora

Ah, well the problem is probably that ICE is more for NPCs, and not really meant to be used for Player Characters.
    What it sounds like you are doing, is putting ICE onto a player controlled character, which of course will not work out very well as the Character Controller fights with the ICE Creature Controller for Animator, and movement rights.

33. TonanBora

TonanBora

The reason Direct probably does not work, is because the Animator Controller you are using is run by parameters.
    So when ICE tries to play an animation state, because certain animator parameters are not set, the animator transitions out of the state.

Tethys likes this.
  34. Tethys

Tethys

How do you acquire the updated 1.3 version? Is there a way to do it on his website? I'm not seeing it, the old internal link is broken and PIT hasn't answered in private messages. We would like to start learning and using the new system as soon as possible in case we find me might be able to use it now in one of our projects. It still seems like this AI asset is still much better than Emerald AI, one HUGE reason being the Emerald AI has handicapped itself by limiting its AI to NEEDING Nav Mesh. To me, any AI package, like PITS Ice Creature Control, if it's worth anything, should be able to handle multiple pathfinding or navigation options. This is something that ICE has done right from the start IMO.

icetec and StevenPicard like this.
  35. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I would also like to get the new version. Is this possible?

36. julianr

julianr

I know developers never really stop working, but as it was New Years eve/day - you may not get a reply for a day or two. I'm still using 1.1.8 and its fine, but ideally I want to be on 1.3.5 as it has the extra functionality needed to detect if a creature or player is dead so you don't get creatures attacking constantly over a dead body. The downside is that I'll need to re-do it all from scratch once 1.3.5 is out, so keen to get this update with adaptor support for TPC. I don't think its worth starting on a 1.1.8 project if you have to re-do everything as some things may not work like they did if you just upgrade.

37. henry8209

henry8209

I saw this video and follow the steps
    the creatures only walk around my player they don't attack!!
    what have i done wrong?
    How can i program them so they will stop running when they are near me and attack me?
    PLZ HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! thx

38. wood333

wood333

@henry8209
    Look at the IceCreatureControl 1.1.18 - Interactors video. A link is about one page up from here in this thread. It is the vid with the skeletons.

GhereGames likes this.
  39. Alex3333

Alex3333

Pit when will the new version ready??

40. ozoner

ozoner

Getting this error when I use the Wizard. I am using Unity Version 5.5.0f3 (64 bit), any help would be appreciated. Cheers...

UnityException: Load is not allowed to be called from a ScriptableObject constructor (or instance field initializer), call it in OnEnable instead. Called from ScriptableObject 'ice_CreatureWizard'.
    See "Script Serialization" page in the Unity Manual for further details.
    ICE.Creatures.Windows.ice_CreatureWizard..cctor () (at Assets/ICE/ICECreatureControl/Scripts/Editor/Windows/ice_CreatureWizard.cs:40)
    Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for ICE.Creatures.Windows.ice_CreatureWizard
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

41. icetec

icetec

Hi Ozoner, Unity don't like to load the images of the wizard window during the declaration process. It's already fixed but here you can find also further information about it ...

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/u...-monsters-zombies.347147/page-21#post-2828044

Have a great day!

Pit

42. icetec

icetec

Hi everbody and a happy new year! I know all of you are waiting and would like to announce that the work is done - the update v1.3 will be published tommorow and should be available in the asset store within the next days. Concerning the damage handling issue here a small sample of the new manual which shows the integration of third party assets and a second one which handles any kind of damage handling ...

http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEIntegration.pdf
    http://www.icecreaturecontrol.com/files/ICEDamageHandling.pdf

Also I want to inform you that ICE Integration includes also a full Photon support incl. syncs, spawning, chat etc. which works also with UFPS but I'm still figthing to fix an issue with the sync of my instantiated creatures while vp_master handles the player spawning but however if your creatures are already in the scene you'll have a lot of fun with ICE and UFPS MP - incl ranged weapons :)

Have a nice day!

Sincerely yours, Pit

Ryuichi173, Ony, TonanBora and 8 others like this.
  43. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I am really looking forward to the update!

Will there be integration with RFPS?

44. julianr

julianr

Nice work Pit. Looking forward to using it :)

icetec likes this.
  45. icetec

icetec

Yeap, native damage support with some mouse clicks ...

Hormic likes this.
  46. Tethys

Tethys

Photon support out of the box is huge. It's actually one of the things we were wondering about. Very nice! I can see this not only being an amazing improvement on our existing basic AI, but also a huge optimization improvement as well. Good stuff!

47. Alex3333

Alex3333

Pit you made my morning good!! Finally. I've been waiting for this !!! I am very happy !! I'll wait when it will appear in asset store.

48. Aceego

Aceego

is there a tutorial to implement Ootii´s MC archery or sword and shield plug in? i need the damage and health string to interact with...

twda and StevenPicard like this.
  49. arnesso

arnesso

Thank you so much Pit,
    I can't wait for it to get the new version :)

Maybe there was this question, but could you help with this :
    I would like to create a kind of Eliminate mission- I would need the given number enemy(50 NPC) would spawn, but they would use the spawn time in register ( between 2- 20 sec).
    How do I set up the they spawn continusly , if spawned 50 no more spawn.?
    Thank you

50. Teila

Teila

Looks great! Thanks, Pit. :)

icetec likes this.