Search Unity

Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by John-Sandrey, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Antonio_Elizio

Antonio_Elizio

Hi everyone, I did a video tutorial teaching how to solve this problem, the video is in Portuguese (Brazil) but I'll put a caption in English soon.

2. afshin_a_1

afshin_a_1

i'm using windows 10 latest update, unity 5.5.3 and of course i did what Alex-Lian from unity said and what ddf, Tonny_elhond and other users said but still i have this problem.
    i don't have any problem with .mp3 and .ogg files. but when it comes to .wav files i get this error:
    Errors during import of AudioClip Assets/UI Sound/sfx_new_goal.wav:
    FSBTool ERROR: Failed decoding audio clip.
    please fix this in 5.5.4 or 5.6.2

3. nomadic

nomadic

I also had this problem with future timestamps.
    On Windows, you can run this in cmd to 'touch' all files in the current directory and reset the modified timestamp:
    for /r %f in (.\*) do COPY /B %f +,, %f

4. csofranz

csofranz

Yup, had the same issue. Part of our team is in England, I'm on Europe main. They accessed the audio I created, and couldn't import it for two hours (produced on a Mac at GMT+2, consumed on a Win 10 machine on GMT)

Yeah, really shows how great Unity is when it comes to global team support...

Yeah, 'touch' will fix the (non)- issue. As does waiting until your file's creation date isn't in the future any more. This is a silly bug that shouldn't exist (who validates the time stamp before importing (not an issue) and *fails* validation just because the time is in the future?) . Yeah, I know brexit and all that, but really, Unity should be able to support a global team setup - and that will cross time lines.

Baloouis likes this.
  5. ndaunt

ndaunt

This worked for me. I had the same issue with the audio not importing correctly and the unspecified error. I went ahead and exported the file without touching it in Audacity, and now it seems to import just fine. I'm using WIndows 10 Home Edition with Unity 5.6.3p1. The audio file was .mp3

DaniilVoloshaninMad likes this.
  6. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Just got this bug 2 years later

7. Overnaut

Overnaut

On Ubuntu 17.10 with Unity Editor 2017.30f1 for Linux the YouTube Portuguese solution and the Audacity one do not work for me. Changing the sound file also has no effect, I guess this is really Unity itself which causes problems here.

/Edit: Also reinstalling Unity completely does not work nor executing the touch command as follows:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sudo touch -t 201712311000.00 *
    which is clearly in the past.

/Edit2: I'm still having this four year old bug crash-when-reimporting-audio-files marked as won't fix:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/crash-when-reimporting-audio-files
    and this unspecified-error-during-import-of-audioclip marked as duplicate too
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/unspecified-error-during-import-of-audioclip
    Marked as duplicate, but his is false, since the first occurs on reimport and closes unity and the second bug occurs on importing and causes just an error.

/Edit3: On the first page of the Audio & Video form this thread has currently 15,088 view compared to all other ones around 400.

/Edit4: The thread
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/audio-clip-import-crash.366750/
    points into the direction that it is a 32 bit and 64 bit problem, I have installed a 64 bit problem. I will communicate this issue to an Linux editor developer, maybe he/they can solve it at least on the Linux side.

It could also be an dependency problem as in:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/an-error-while-importing-any-audio-file.497417/
    But since this was a Windows 7 error, I think the 32-64 bit problem has much higher chances to be fixed.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  8. chadfranklin47

chadfranklin47

Yup. Getting this on win 10 2018. never used to get this before...

9. Overnaut

Overnaut

Do you have the 64 bit version installed? If so, installing the 32 bit version maybe fixes the bug.

10. Pracedru

Pracedru

11. Overnaut

Overnaut

I'm on Windows 10 now and everything works just fine.

12. Mabus88

Mabus88

I had an issue with the Audio files not being there as well. Turned out to be my anti-virus software was blocking the audio files from importing. Once I allowed it to go through, all was good.

13. Tibromatic

Tibromatic

I managed to strace + gdb the problem around. On my Fedora 27 (x64) the FSBTool was unable to run. So I replaced it with a shell script:
    /Editor/Data/Tools/FSBTool/FSBTool:
    #!/bin/bash
    oggenc -q 10 -o "${14}" "${12}"

It's ugly, and I only tested it with .wav files. Since oggenc will not recode .ogg files, a simple copy of these files is also good.
    [Edit]
    The problem was that I was missing the libstdc++ i686 packages. Installing it solved the issue.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. fadhilditya

fadhilditya

Yep Web GL is still the problem in 2017.31f.1. can you solve this issue thanks

15. ioanna316

ioanna316

On MacOS, Unity 2017 - same problem with just 2 audio MP3 files, when switching to Android platform (was fine on iOS) - enabling Force Mono flag on those assets helped to resolve the problem.

16. dizainer33

dizainer33

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

@ddf: Thank you! Don't know how you figured that out but... THANKS!

18. Leonetienne500

Leonetienne500

Had this problem too.
    Spent three F***ing hours just to figure out that it was window's absolutely retarded 255 path char limit that was causing the error......
    So i just shortened the names of all the directories which the files are located in and now it F***ing works.

F*** this, F*** that, F*** everything. THREE F***ING HOURS

chadfranklin47 likes this.
  19. matbb

matbb

Hey, I just made a bug report on an issue that seems to be what some of you might be experiencing.
    Mainly, the imports of .ogg and .mp3 files with low bitrates failed (mono sounds).

Solution is to re-encode the files at higher bitrate with ffmpeg:
    For .ogg one needs to convert to .wav as intermediate step
    $ ffmpeg -i this_can_not_be_imported.ogg -vn -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 44100 -ac 1 test_import.wav
    $ fmpeg -i test_import.wav -c:a libvorbis this_can_be_imported.ogg
    For .mp3 one can convert directly
    $ ffmpeg -i this_can_not_be_importedMp3.mp3 -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 96k this_can_be_importedMp3.mp3

The resulting files have slightly bigger size, but can be imported.

Bug report is here https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1241886_fbpeon8vci2pacf3

20. Sound_Carpenter

Sound_Carpenter

Hi everyone, same problem here. I am new on Unity, I am a sound designer and i would like to learn a bit how to implement sounds.

I have mac os 10.11.6 and I tried with 2018 .4.22f1 and the previous one, and same problem. I also tried with ogg, mp3, aiff, wav, 44100, 48000, etc always blank icon.

I reported two times with no answer so without audio files I can't use Unity for anything!!

painful..

21. Sound_Carpenter

Sound_Carpenter

Also I tried what Antonio shows in the video from above and doesn't work for me..

22. arada

arada

This bug is still in Unity 2017.4.1 but I found it is fixed in Unity 2020 already.

23. unity_qkqpSQHSfUT9mg

unity_qkqpSQHSfUT9mg

8 years later, still the same problem :(

24. unity_qkqpSQHSfUT9mg

unity_qkqpSQHSfUT9mg

25. LOLinc

LOLinc

I'm on Unity 2021.2.3f1 (running on Ubuntu 20.04) and I am experiencing this issue as well.
    I didn't have the issue before upgrading the project from Unity 2021.1.x.
    I tried converting and reimporting the files in different ways, but no luck.
    This is kinda ridiculous that such an old (and fairly critical bug) is still an issue today.

26. Virtesia

Virtesia

Do not manually modify file extensions. Try to convert it on the Internet.

27. codenameglassy

codenameglassy

Thanks dude, it was the anti virus

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

I fixed this problem, I am using Unity 2021 version and then I changed the Unity version 2021 to 2022, to solve the problem.

29. mehmetsbc

mehmetsbc

I got an error in the mp3 file, I solved the problem by converting it to .vav extension