Search Unity

Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by John-Sandrey, Mar 23, 2015.

1. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

I was just wondering if any one can tall me how to fix this error Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets? not sure why I am getting it but every thing works fine on my mac. just bought a windows 8.1 computer put unity on it and cant import any audio files. I am using the latest 5.0 unity, and the audio files came from the asset store. Just not sure why my mac imports them with no problem and the windows 8.1 computer is having this issue.

2. mauri11

mauri11

Hey John, did you find a solution? Im having the same issue

3. John-Sandrey

John-Sandrey

yea it was the virus checker.

Threeyes and codenameglassy like this.
  4. ddf

ddf

I got this error when some files I unzipped wound up with Modified times that were in the future. In other words, it was 10am and the files had modified times of 2pm. I used touch from the command line to fix the incorrect timestamps on the files and then Unity could import them.

5. DrivingSim

DrivingSim

Had same issue as ddf. I used an online WMA to WAV fiile converter that made the modified date future. I suspect that the server was in a different time zone...derp.

6. felsi

felsi

Hello!

I just upgraded from 5.0.1.f1 to 5.1.0.f3 on Win7 64bit and i have the same issue, but the time seams to be ok.
    Has anyone an idea?

Edit:
    drag and drop new asset shows:

Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets/strings.mp3
    UnityEditorInternal.InternalEditorUtility: ProjectWindowDrag(HierarchyProperty, Boolean)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  7. vrdave

vrdave

I am also experiencing this error as of my upgrade to 5.1.0.f3. I am on Windows7 Enterprise 64-bit.

"Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets/testing.wav"

I've attempted new audio files, old audio files, new projects and reinstalling Unity from the ground up, clearing out all of the app data and registry to make sure it's as clean as I can get it.

8. pauwau

pauwau

the same on win xp sp3

Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets/Audio/ala.ogg

converted to wav pcm, reimport - noop

9. Gazcraft

Gazcraft

Same issue here.
    I just updated to 5.1.0.f3 and all of the .wav files in the project are giving me this unspecified error.

Windows 7 Professional N

10. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

So, has anyone logged a bug report?

I think I'll just hold off upgrading until the next version

11. michal wojcik

michal wojcik

I reported bug.
    705044 (Open) Unspecified error during import audio clip - regression after update to 5.1.0f3 from 5.0.2

Novack likes this.
  12. furuknap

furuknap

Gydium likes this.
  13. Xuprem

Xuprem

i have this error too, everybody report it, because that is a bug, and unity go to solve it

lukitone likes this.
  14. furuknap

furuknap

Were you unable to solve it by installing the media pack?

15. Xuprem

Xuprem

What media pack? I'm using Windows XP

16. a487561

a487561

I'm using XP SP3 and got this too, is there anyway to solve it?

17. michal wojcik

michal wojcik

I also use xp but before this update everything works as excepted. It is biggest regression i can remember in unity (i started with 3.5).

18. Novack

Novack

Got this too, just after updating lost all my audio clips references due to clip import failures.

Not sure I wanna install Windows Media Player to check if that fixes it!

Im on Windows 7 "N" 64.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  19. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

From our audio engineer, the shift in 5.1 was to dynamically load the media libraries from Windows, thus requiring the Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 and up (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/Results.aspx?q=Media% Feature% Pack). We obviously didn't quite deal with verifying the dependencies are there, but will at least update the console error message to indicate the need. We will also look for installer updates to address this.

For XP, we're working on a fix for patch release, that should eliminate most of the issues unless targeting WebGL. In this case, we're still investigating a final solution.

20. Novack

Novack

@Alex Lian
    Thanks for your answer!

Could you clarify this? Are you confirming that from now on, Unity will require Media Player and related technologies to work? I am obliged to install WMP in order to update to Unity5.1 ?

21. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

So, the audio guys tell me the Media Feature Pack (which I see includes the Windows Media Player) is required for 5.1 if you're on Win7 and higher. The other problem is that XP does not have access to the MFP libraries we load. We are working on a fix to at least minimize the XP issue in the short term, but re-looking to see what the right overall solution is for the longer term.

Update: Further inquiry explains that it's need for exporting to AAC which is what the WebGL target uses. So, if you are targeting WebGL, you will need the MFP. At the moment, 5.1 tries to load the MFP libraries at startup. The upcoming fix will make that dynamic in-case you don't have the MFP and are not targeting WebGL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2015
  22. Novack

Novack

@Alex Lian thanks again, and special thanks for the clarifications, much appreciated.

23. Zenix

Zenix

Media Feature Pack doesn't seem to be available for Windows 7.

24. Nirconus

Nirconus

25. Crayz

Crayz

Solved the problem for me, thanks.

LVBen likes this.
  26. evand

evand

I am getting the error and am using Vista. All audio ceases to work as of new update :(

27. KhabouAli

KhabouAli

i am using vista an i have this FSBtool.exe error, please help me

28. wjb1111

wjb1111

I'm having the same problem as the person above ( i am using vista an i have this FSBtool.exe error, please help me), which stinks because everything was working really well before the update and I don't have enough money right now to update to a better computer and a newer version of Windows. I'm using Vista right now. :(

29. PotatoFace

PotatoFace

On Vista with version 5.1.1, I was also having this problem, but it seems to have gone away when I upgraded to 5.1.2. Those of you who are still having trouble, make sure you've updated to 5.1.2 first.

30. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

I'm having this problem with all my audio files with version 5.2.
    Using Windows 10.

31. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

Still same problem. :(

32. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

Could we get some words from the developers?
    Seems like there are a lot of people with similar problems and no solution.

33. Everis

Everis

34. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  35. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

Still no words from the Unity devs?

36. Alexis-Karpov

Alexis-Karpov

I had same problem with importing .wav file on win7. I solved this by means of switch a default player from iTunes to Windows Media Player.
    iTunes was interfering my job.

37. IacopoSb

IacopoSb

I ve got the sale problem on XP Home edition SP3 using Unity 5.1.1f1, but I'm using .mp3 files. It's OK or I need to use WAV files?o_O
    Thanks a lot

38. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

.mp3 should be fine. This seems to be a bug with Unity in combination with Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and 10 N-versions, so it does not matter what format you use, you'll still be kinda screwed. Just have to wait for a fix.

Still no words from Unity developers though. :(

39. Lex-Talionis

Lex-Talionis

"Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets" WAV file, win 8.1 , no solution

40. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

I've tested reinstalling Windows 10 N now and it still doesn't work. Great...

41. TruffelsAndOranges

TruffelsAndOranges

Any words on this issue? :(

42. artyom_kh

artyom_kh

I am using Windows XP SP3 (Unity3D 5.1.0f3) and have the same problem with audio files.
    I have figured out that after importing audio into project using Windows 7 you can continue to work with project on Windows XP as usual with audio assets included.

So I created virtual machine using VirtualBox, installed Windows 7 with Unity3D on it, and shared my projects folder as described here.
    Do not forget to enable 3D acceleration in VirtualBox as described here, or Unity3D will not launch.
    Now, when It is needed, I can import audio files using virtual machine, save the project, and continue to work with it on a good old Windows XP.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  43. Bwak Bwak

Bwak Bwak

SOLUTION TO FIX HERE!!

Guys i found solution! You need to download Audacity(free program),
    import that sound in audacity, dont touch anything and just export it :D

Like this:

I have my bugged Themesong.mp3, i go to Audacity, import, select themesong.mp3, go to export, export as mp3 and thats that :D

SIMPLE

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2015
    Future9000 likes this.
  44. Soundguy

Soundguy

I'm having this error in some files. it's really weird because it sometimes happens and someimes doesn't on the same file.
    i opened a new, empty vanilla project, and manager to get the same file to import, then i went back to my main project and the same file and didn't import before now imported, i said, ok, weird but i can continute developing, now the next file does the same and now the vanillal project doesn't import that either.

the bug that was reported to unity was closed for it being a duplicate of some unrelated bug. i'm also experiencing problems with importing video files - but there, there's no error.

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit ,

45. Soundguy

Soundguy

i figured out why these files didn't import - the timestamp on them was one hour into the future due to a weird daylight savings time conflict in my file server

46. LVBen

LVBen

Correcting the timestamp worked for me also! I don't know hy copying the file cause the timestamp advanced several hours into the future or why that timestamp causes Unity to not work correctly, but I am glad that ddf posted the workaround and that Crayz confirmed it.

47. Adnimistrator

Adnimistrator

I had this problem (Unspecified error during import of AudioClip Assets and also FSBTool.exe has stopped working window pop out) after upgrading unity from 5.2.2f1 to 5.5.0f3. (windows 10)

findings:
    - some sounds could be imported after changing sound quality (in unity)
    - some sounds could be imported after reexporting them by external program (Audacity)

my total solution:
    - copy all sounds to external folder (only sounds not .meta files)
    - delete all sounds in unity also .meta files
    - copy sounds back to unity from external folder

This will break your linkage but it works for me.

48. screenname_taken

screenname_taken

Check if the sound file is in vorbis. I found out that vorbis crashes FSBTool in 5.5. when set as PCM or ADPCM it works again.

49. TabuuForteAkugun

TabuuForteAkugun

I get this too. (Unity Editor 5.5.0p1. But only on some Vorbis clips, not all of them. Worked after screenname_taken's solution.

EDIT: Vorbis has almost stopped working completely now. FSBTool64 keeps crashing way too often for my liking. I am going to stop importing sound assets until a patch to this is released. It simply REFUSES to load long-ish Vorbis files. The mono ones, anyway,.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  50. artificialfool

artificialfool

I just had this problem and the culprit was DROPBOX!
    whenever I downloaded single files it was fine but any time dropbox zipped it (downloading a folder or multi select) it would have this error in Unity 5.5.0
    Just in case it helps someone, check if you're downloading from email, drive, or dbox and there is an auto zip, that may be it