Search Unity

UnpackNormal(fixed4 packednormal) role ?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by kev42100, Aug 18, 2011.

1. kev42100

kev42100

Hello !

I really don't understand the UnpackNormal( ) function...
    Let-alone the code inside "UnityCG.cginc" ...

Code (csharp):
    2. inline fixed3 UnpackNormal(fixed4 packednormal)
    3. {
    4. #if defined(SHADER_API_GLES)  defined(SHADER_API_MOBILE)
    5.     return packednormal.xyz * 2 - 1;
    6. #else
    7.     fixed3 normal;
    8.     normal.xy = packednormal.wy * 2 - 1;
    9.     normal.z = sqrt(1 - normal.x*normal.x - normal.y * normal.y);
    10.     return normal;
    11. #endif
    12. }
    Thanks in advance !

HyunMok_Moon likes this.
  2. niosop2

niosop2

Unity stores its normal maps as DXT5nm, where only the G and A channels are used (because they have more bits available).

Code (csharp):
    2. normal.xy = packednormal.wy * 2 - 1;
    Takes the x from the A channel and the y from the G channel, then converts them from the 0 to 1 space to the -1 to +1 space.

Code (csharp):
    2. normal.z = sqrt(1 - normal.x*normal.x - normal.y * normal.y);
    Reconstructs the z value from the x and y values since the z isn't stored in the normal texture.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    Andy-Korth likes this.
  3. kev42100

kev42100

Thanks for the answer but it's hard to understand ... Do you have some links/papers in order to improve my skills on this subject ?

4. Farfarer

Farfarer

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. Martin-Kraus

Martin-Kraus

It should be noted that "packednormal.wy" is exactly the same as "packednormal.ag", it's just another way of writing it.

I wrote an explanation here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/GLSL_P...ing_of_Bumpy_Surfaces#Normal_Mapping_in_Unity
    (And I have a professional interest in it being understandable; thus, I would appreciate comments.)

Also note that the motivation for using only two components in OpenGL is somewhat different from what Farfarer has described: in OpenGL Unity might use a two-component texture which actually offers only two components A and a color component, which can be accessed as R, G, or B.

6. Farfarer

Farfarer

Huh, I didn't realise OpenGL did different stuff. Interesting. What texture compression does it use?

The swizzled DXT5nm stuff is for improved compression quality.

7. Martin-Kraus

Martin-Kraus

I wasn't aware of it, but apparently OpenGL 4 supports its own compression format (see appendix C in the specification: http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/glspec42.core.20110808.pdf ). In OpenGL ES the supported compression formats depend on the GPU.

However, in OpenGL you can always ask for a two-component texture format with (for example) 8 bits per component. Thus, the driver could use, for example, 2*8=16 bits per texel. In that case, you have to store one of the components in the alpha channel and therefore you have to do some swizzling, too. Thus, I wasn't surprised to see it.

8. Farfarer

Farfarer

Oh, very cool. So it's smaller than DXT5 (16bits as opposed to 24) and with better fidelity. Wish DDS could do the same thing :p

9. Martin-Kraus

Martin-Kraus

Doesn't DXT5 use 8 bits per pixel? (That's what wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S3_Texture_Compression#DXT4_and_DXT5 : 128 bits per 16 pixels = 8 bits per pixel)

10. niosop2

niosop2

It is, but it's lossy compression. The 16 bit per pixel format he was talking about is uncompressed, so you save 33% of the size with no quality loss.

11. Farfarer

Farfarer

DXT gets 5:6:5 for R:G:B
    DXT5 is 5:6:5:8 for R:G:B:A

So with DXT5, only the alpha channel remains uncompressed (hence the swizzling with the normal map - uses the G and A channels because they're least compressed).

12. Martin-Kraus

Martin-Kraus

Errrrrr ... OK. Do you have any references that support this claim?

13. Farfarer

Farfarer

14. Martin-Kraus

Martin-Kraus

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  15. niosop2

niosop2

Oh, it's definitely compressed, it just doesn't use bit reduction and stays at 8 bits, unlike the RGB channels which are reduced to 5/6/5 respectively.

16. Farfarer

Farfarer

Ah, yeah, uncompressed was the wrong phrase to use. Substantially less compressed would be a better description :p