Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityWebRequest vs. WWW

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by jhocking, Jul 22, 2017.

1. jhocking

jhocking

I'm in the middle of updating the code in Unity in Action and just noticed something I'm confused about, and was hoping someone could clear it up. Official response from Unity would be great, but failing that maybe someone could link a blog post or something that discusses this issue...

I had been using WWW in some code, and replaced that with UnityWebRequest since I had read that WWW was being deprecated. Well, I just noticed that the manual no longer says that; compare the first sentence of the documentation from 5.4 to the latest documentation:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/540/Documentation/Manual/UnityWebRequest.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityWebRequest.html

This seems to suggest Unity's developers have changed their minds about deprecating WWW, so now I'm confused. First off, have they changed their minds about this? And if so, is it still a good idea for me to switch to UnityWebRequest? I can't imagine the developers want to maintain two APIs that do essentially the same thing, in which case they might have decided UnityWebRequest was a failed attempt and it's the method that's going away.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    tonialatalo likes this.
  2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

My understanding is that the WWW feature is being "removed". Well, will be left in the code for a while, but isn't something we'd ever suggest should be used. UnityWebRequest is the future. The same is used for things like Animation which is replaced by Animator. Documented as Legacy.

MGGDev and jhocking like this.
  3. Baste

Baste

If you're considering WWW as a legacy component, you should go through the docs where other things use WWW as an example, and use UnityWebRequest instead.

For example, the page for Asset Bundles explains them like this:
    "AssetBundles let you stream additional assets via the WWW class and instantiate them at runtime"

ghiboz, isidro02139 and tonialatalo like this.
  4. fanhieu8x

fanhieu8x

TheoSabattie likes this.
  5. GeekyRaptor

GeekyRaptor

Hi, sorry for butting in, but I recently updated to the newest version of Unity and the asset I'm using from the asset store called Vide Dialogues is throwing a warning about switching from www to unity web request anyone know how to go about doing this or if it is necessary? thanks.