Search Unity

Unity3D Car simulator Demo

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by alzarac, Jul 6, 2011.

1. alzarac

alzarac

Hi, I want to share some work I have done some time ago (car simulator). All that you see here was done by me, minus the script for the car. Hope you guys like it

This project is based on a real place located in Envigado - Colombia, into the youtube video, you will see a link to the real footage video that I have recorded to make this project.

P.S. My video card is quite old and the frame rate is to slow.

Best regards,

Juan Camilo Alcaraz C
    www.camiloalcaraz.com

2. pezz

pezz

Why didnt you show the car?
    It is kind of useless without the cars being shown.

3. runner

runner

That must have taken awhile to make that level scene, How did you construct the level?. like to see further development and of course its nicely done..

4. rumblemonkey

rumblemonkey

The overall work on the level design is cool, and I'm pretty impressed that that big of a scene is working nicely in Unity. There are a lot of things that could really improve the look, though:

1. I'd also like to see the car.
    2. Some procedural traffic just using waypoints would be nice; even just some pedestrians generated in zones that your car is near would add a lot to the feel.
    3. The flora needs to have some procedural work done to make it look more lifelike. Random rotation on the Y axis and minor variations on scale, with small rotations on the X axis would make a huge difference in terms of how real it looked. Right now, it looks very much like games from the 1990s, where trees were just billboards- a minor tweak here will probably astound you, as the flora is one of the major "hey, this isn't real" cues here :)

5. alzarac

alzarac

pezz and xenoargh, you guys are right but I forgot to mentioned that this project was a contract for another company. This company needed the 3D model for that part of the city, with all the materials, lights, etc, because they needed put this "game" into a Car simulator, I mean, this "game" will be in front the car windshield and all the controls will be handled with the real steering wheel and the pedals, and that´s why in the "game" there isn´t a visible car. The other company sent me a basic script that allow me drive into the scene to see how the model will work, but the final script for this car was adapted to the real simulator and works very good.

xenoargh, about the traffic, the other company who has programmers (I am an architect), they put the traffic and people routines, the same in the traffic lights, but this final version isn´t mine, so I only could post what I have done (the model, texturing, lighting and Unity3D Integration)

xenoargh about the vegetation, you are right, the vegetation looks very repetitive and only needs a few tweaks to solve like you said (rotate some planes or scale a bit into a random process), but this kind of works all ways need more time that the client has, so I had to do as much as I could within the time the client gave me, maybe when I have some spare time, I will improve the quality.

runner, thanks for your comment, this level was done in two months all by me, I do everything you see here, I been in the real place and I had to film the route. The model was done in 3ds max. The textures was done in photoshop and I created some textures based on the real buildings. The lighting was done in unity3D

Btw, I am from Colombia, so my English is not the best :)

Best regards,
    Juan Camilo Alcaraz C
    www.camiloalcaraz.com

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Very nicely done, graphics are superb. Only crit I might have is that steering appears too "precise" and could be a bit less responsive. Otherwise, it looks top notch!

7. PoleStar Softworks

PoleStar Softworks

Very nice game. I love that graphics. Good job ;)

8. alzarac

alzarac

bigkahuna and PoleStar Softworks, thanks for your comments, the graphics looks good, but is a shame that my video card (Geforce 9500 Gt) is too basic to handle this kind of project. But I am happy that you guys enjoyed the graphics.

bigkahuna, like you said, the steering looks too precise and the car moves like a robot :) but is because the framerate is to low and the car script that I am using for this video, was a basic car script that the company who contract me, sent me to test the city model. btw the final script worked very nice.

Thanks again for the comments,

best regards,
    Juan Camilo Alcaraz C
    www.camiloalcaraz.com

9. dudeabot

dudeabot

very nice, congrats :)

did you use gooogle maps or any tool like that to extract information about terrain or help modeling?

i see you are using vignette and it seems parallax mapping as well, what others shaders you used?

thanks!

10. alzarac

alzarac

Thanks for your comment dudeabot.

Yes, I have used googlemap photos to make the route and I have some planimetric files (Autocad) for the city and I could compare and share the information between them to make the route as real as posible. take a look to these images, here is the googlemap photos that I used.

Like you can see in the picture, there are marked the principal buildings that I had to model and the car route.

Btw, I have used the bloom effect, the vignetting, the blur effect (but doesn´t look to much), a color correction (to give a little sepia tone), SSAO and finally a contrast enhancement... that´s why mi videocard has suffered :)

The original video without those effects is below. Some people (the client itself) prefer this one.