Search Unity

Unity3d 5.3 Not working

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tatsumi-Kun, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Zastion

Zastion

My moms computer is crap I am mad that i have wasted multiple days on this and that it doesn't work on mine!
    whwere should i save this too i don't have an app data folder?

2. Zastion

Zastion

I don't have an AppData?

3. Yash987654321

Yash987654321

Windows + R and run %appData℅

4. tuanduc985

tuanduc985

Tôi are as such as thế mà no hiệu quả, tôi đang dùng win 8.1 64 bit but no thất with the thống nhất 3d bản 64 bit.

Attached Files:

5. LabG006

LabG006

My solution is:
    1) Install Unity (c:\Program Files\Unity)
    2) Install 7-Zip (c:\Program Files\7-Zip) from www.7-Zip.org
    3) Download attached file FixUnity.txt and change the extension from .txt to .bat
    4) Start FixUnity.bat per double click

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  6. GregBraam1

GregBraam1

Im getting the problem on 64bit windows 10
    I have reinstalled it and it didn't work

7. daagudeloc

daagudeloc

Thanks!!! Almost all day trying to figure out what to do, turns out that dist folders already exist but was empty or something. This fixed all issues!!!

8. sangam

sangam

hello guys its very easy to solve this problem
    1. you need to check your DNS in "network sharing setting" set it to public DNS 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4
    2. if still not working go to "C:/Users/admin/AppData/Roaming/" you can find "unity" named folder just delete it,
    similarly go to "C:/Users/admin/AppData/Local" n delete "unity" named folder again then restart unity again you are ready to go

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the fix Yash!

Also if you have installed unity on the D drive like I had, the place where you should put these folders will be in the D drive (I found this out after about an hour of looking :/) Just select your D drive, scroll down and look for the "unity" folder (it's not in the directory you installed the main part of unity in). Select that folder, you should see a "Packages" folder - this is where you follow Yash's instructions of creating the new folders and and extracting the files into them.

10. aman_unity3d

aman_unity3d

It works...
    Thank you.

11. divaflash

divaflash

12. Kristiforr

Kristiforr

i have fixed it jus write in run %APPDATA% and delete unity also unistal it from pc and reinstall it it should works :D

13. Kristiforr

Kristiforr

just unistal unity go to run write %APPDATA% delete unity and reinstall it and it will work :)

14. JeramyDichiera

JeramyDichiera

Hi all,
    I tried every solution mentioned here and I was still plagued by the 'black screen on startup'.

The one thing that did fix it for me was running the Unity exe as an administrator. I simply right clicked the file and selected 'Run as Administrator'. No black screen.

15. leegod

leegod

This works well! Thanks.

16. virgil81188

virgil81188

Thanks guys!
    This worked for me too!
    Unity version with issue is: Unity 5.5.0b2

17. srmojuze

srmojuze

Thanks, works for 5.5.0b4 for those trying out Vulkan support.

18. sama-van

sama-van

Had same issue with 5.4.2f1 (64-bit) and this fix worked a charm :)

Mr-Vovk and getzel like this.
  19. getzel

getzel

It works too for me on Windows 8 and Unity 5.4.2

20. The_Grinless

The_Grinless

Also worked for like a charm for me !

21. Mr-Vovk

Mr-Vovk

worked like a charm! Unity 5.4.2f1 (64-bit), Win7 Pro

22. Shofol

Shofol

It works for 5.4.2 also. Thank you very much.

23. ba569

ba569

It took me a long time to decipher, maybe I'm stupid haha. But I just got confused with all of the file paths but it does work. I've uploaded a visual so you can understand the solutions already posted better, as it would have really helped me. The image below is where the files you need should be located (the ones you will need are the cloud one and the home one: UnityPackages.png

Open another file explorer and follow the following file path and create the folder highlighted (be sure to create them in the same hierarchy i.e. node_modules contains the cloud and home folder): CreateFolders.jpg
    Once they are created extract the contents of the unityeditor-cloud... and the unity-editor-home files into the relevant folder that you created. You will have to make sure the file path in winrar or whatever you are using is pointing to them. Inside winrar, click into the package folder and just highlight and extract all of the contents for each one.

It should look like this when done:
    foldersAfterExtraction.png

Hope this makes sense and helps somebody with understanding :).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  24. ba569

ba569

you do :) just type in %appdata% exactly like that into the file explorer path; it will direct you into it, as it's just hidden.

25. Nobbly

Nobbly

Thank you for this, did help, couldn't make any sense of it before. Still can't get it to work mind, as far as I can tell it's exactly as you've shown, but still just a grey window to me on opening. My very first delve into Unity has not been confidence inducing so far. Man I can't even get it installed ;)
    edit: Oh no, was my bad, created the 'node-modules' folder in the wrong location, moved to appdata after rereading and it has done..something at least. Awesome, thankyou all.

Am I right in understanding that the install has been broken for nearly a year, across multiple versions and nobody has fixed it? Or is it just a minority that experience it?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  26. droni

droni

That worked for me Thx ba569 you're the best :p

27. LFS_DataBase

LFS_DataBase

i open the folder packages BUt then i should go in node_modules/unity but that map doest exist there.. (by me)
    so i can't make an folder dist there and plaste everthing there...

how you fix that?

28. LFS_DataBase

LFS_DataBase

you can no longer download it anymore

29. GeoffWode

GeoffWode

I've had the same problem after upgrading to 5.4.21f (not tried the above solution yet) but, seriously why is any of this work-around necessary? I would expect such "hacks" to get some fly-by-night peice of freeware working but this is _Unity_, the "professional quality" game development environment. Why doesn't the install "jiust work"? This version was released in July, and the installation still doesn't work out-of-the-box! Poor. Just poor.

mstram1 likes this.
  30. Art-in-MT

Art-in-MT

BA569: Thanks for this great visual! Very helpful.
    One note from a noobie: I moved the missing package to the target folder, and then used the 7-zip command "extract here" to unpack it. I had to "extract here" twice, once against the tzg, the second time against the .tar. Then I had to copy the extracted files "up" one directory, from within the "package" folder that 7-zip created below the current directory, into the current directory. I did this for both folders, and it works.

31. DaUltimatePig

DaUltimatePig

32. Unidesky

Unidesky

I am using the most recent update of Unity (well, trying to use it) 5.4.2f1 on a recently formatted laptop and none of those appdata/roaming/unity/packages/ folders exists, should i create them?

33. Unidesky

Unidesky

My bad, it was hidden and i forgot to unhid it. It doesn't work yet, also the unityeditor-cloud-hub-0.0.1.tgz is named unityeditor-cloud-hub.0.0.13 and the unity-editor-home-0.0.7 is named unity-editor-home.0.1.35.

34. Unidesky

Unidesky

It works now! :D
    Apparently when you extract those files they are put in a folder called package, i took them out of that folder and put them as the instruction said and it works now.
    I also learned how to clean my Xbox 360 controller! :)
    It was a good day to fix stuff, thanks.

35. bluesea9

bluesea9

36. meMUmar

meMUmar

Brilliant.... It worked for me....!! :) Thanks :)

37. Psychotic-EGG

Psychotic-EGG

It didn't work for me. I did move them maybe I didn't move them correctly. any help would be greatly appreciated.

38. johann_esq

johann_esq

Just followed the esoteric procedures described by Lertmind on Windows 10, Unity 5.4.2f1 and they worked. The following Q&A was invaluable. Thanks folks

39. Joker1_341_2

Joker1_341_2

Thank you so much!!

40. Stereoarts-Nora

Stereoarts-Nora

41. Psychotic-EGG

Psychotic-EGG

42. mstram1

mstram1

+1,000,000,000,0000,00000,0,000,00,0,000,0,,,!!!!!

Utter BS !

I'm p*dfd enough wasting my time trying to install the free version. I'd be ultra-p#%#% if I bought this POS.

43. mstram1

mstram1

44. cheetahj25

cheetahj25

Ha... I wrote a script to do this myself, before finding it here... if anyone prefers powershell to .bat

Attached Files:

45. trzmiel

trzmiel

No method works :(
    Windows 7 64bit and Unity 5.4.3f1 (64bit) - current
    After installation it worked ONE time.
    Now there is no welcome screen, no gray window just dead Unity process in task manager.
    EDIT: Suddenly, when I removed my external USB disk - dead Unity process revived! It seems to work fine :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  46. Hornet_Ant

Hornet_Ant

Hi Guys, I'm having the same issue where I just get the load screen and nothing else happens. I've looked at the solution listed where you copy the packaged files into node-modules which is working for everyone but I already have these files created after installing unity 5.5.0f3. Are there any other solutions?

47. polyninja

polyninja

Hey Guys ! Just a quick fix that worked for me. It might sound crazy but I had this problem and the only solution seemed to be removing some of my USB peripherals. I kid you not. The problem started when I installed the 5.5.0f3 version. Unity would lock up on the loading screen. I tried a lot of stuff and it didn't work, until I realized I just started using a new game-pad, and the moment I removed it, Unity launched normally..until I didn't. Then I had to remove my external usb sound card, and it worked again, and it seems to be stable now. Hope this is helpful. Have a nice one !

48. aikijeet

aikijeet

Lertmind's solution worked for me
    thanks

49. Laxus_

Laxus_

Holy Cow, IT WORKED THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU- been bugging me the entire DAY!

50. adkrocks

adkrocks