Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Web player Not working in Chrome OSX, please HELP!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by xema25, Dec 7, 2014.

1. xema25

xema25

Hi,

I'm developing a project for web players and I checked that in Chrome in OSX has stopped working :S I have the Chrome version 39.0.2171.71 (64-bit) and Mavericks OSX. The unity plugin cannot be found in the list of plugins that Chrome has isntalled. I tried reinstalling it but it doesn't work.

If i enter other sites with unity games the same thing happens (they say in some sites that the current cChrome version is not supporting Unity in OSX).

Can anyone give me more info about this. Are they going to fix this issue?

:(

Thanks!

2. xema25

xema25

3. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

Yes, I had the same shock and then I found that blog post explaining that most internet browsers aren't support plugins anymore. All internet browsers will eventually stop supporting plugins and move into HTML 5.

This is good and bad for us unity developers. Currently, we are stuck in a limbo stage where Unity 5 isn't out yet with support for html compiling. But we can't use the unity web player anymore since it isn't supported in most major browsers. So we are stuck not able to make games for the internet.

4. soloneer

soloneer

You're a bit premature and not completely accurate, the web player is still supported in all the browsers. The exception is Chrome 64 bit on OS X only because there isn't a web player been made to install. Only Chrome and Firefox have said they will drop support for (NPAPI) plugins, and Mozilla as far as I know haven't even given a fixed date for that. Chrome will do a staged drop from start of 2015 with total support for NPAPI removed in September 2015, and I believe the other browsers will still support Unity Web player plug in for the foreseeable.

5. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

Thanks for the info.

The webplayer isn't working in Safari either. Is that also a 64 bit problem as well?

6. soloneer

soloneer

Chrome on mac now works for me. I don't think I tested Safari at the time but Safari works fine for me with latest webplayer and latest release of Unity Editor (4.6.1f1). So at the moment the Unity web player works on every desktop browser I've tried.

7. xema25

xema25

HI! I'm exporting with Unity and on Chrome in Mac OSX still doesn't work. Has unity 4.6 something fixed for the webplayers compatibility?

8. soloneer

soloneer

Since 4.6.1f1 (and making sure not to install a patch version of the editor) every webplayer build works fine across all browsers.