Search Unity

Unity VR Samples now available

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by willgoldstone, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reschkeproductions

reschkeproductions

Samples keep crashing when running on Galaxy S7 w/ Gear VR. Any ideas? OSIG file is at required directory.

2. sondyr

sondyr

I love how the main menu sample scene uses one image to save all descriptions even though they are placed on separate objects. How is that possible? I unfortunately can't seem to figure it out on my own!

3. justinwoodart

justinwoodart

Hello - I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the targets for different objects. I am trying to replace the targets with a piece of fruit.. whenever I change the 3d model it stops keeping score.

4. ibnesina

ibnesina

The same thing happening with me.
    Its working in editor but when i install APK in my device it doesn't play..
    Have you got any solution?

5. MadAndy

MadAndy

I've taken the concept of the Menu to make my own, and instead of using a prefab for the menu item with a mesh collider, I simply used a cube (which comes with the default box collider).

The MenuButton.cs and/or SelectionRadial.cs script(s) don't seem to be working, however, as the SelectionRadial will not execute show() when over the cube (has VR Interactive Item applied).

I tested that the IsOver event was working, and it was (I changed the colour of the cube when over, however the SelectionRadial would not appear around the reticle)

Is this occurring because I don't have a Mesh Collider? Or because my MenuItem does not use their prefab? Has anybody else experienced a similar issue?

6. atul-s-morey

atul-s-morey

Hi -

Is there a trick to make this work in Unity Editor? I have an android build that works fine on my device but I was not able to play it in Editor at all. How do I activate the keyboard and mouse inputs?

Thanks

7. GuruNinja

GuruNinja

Hi, can i use vr samples scripts in my asset which i am going to publish in asset store?

8. Selzier

Selzier

Yes, sample assets are for commercial purposes.

9. taiku

taiku

Follow up to Guru ninja - I just want to confirm that if I wanted, I could take the GUI arrows in this asset and create a derivative asset, then put it on the asset store?

10. John3D

John3D

These VR samples are a great start! Thanks Unity!

11. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

12. image28

image28

You could use $30 phones that have all the sensors for the controllers. Even cheaper.... Just skimmed the video btw

13. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Is there any way to navigate gyro controller in editor? Like the alt key on Google Cardboard?

14. RoyalCoder

RoyalCoder

Hi friends,

I have a question about Flyer example, it's possible to make the flyer to fly only forward not to fall off?

15. travelhawk

travelhawk

Thank you for the great examples. Hopefully more prefabs and best practices for interactive worlds in VR evolve soon.

One issue I was experiencing when I was using the reticle concept was that if two interactive items stand close together the OnOver event of the second item was called before the OnOut of the first item when you switched the gaze between the two items.

I therefore changed the order of firing the events in VREyeRacaster.cs and it worked for me.

16. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

I find the flyer sample very interesting. The camera is moving but there is no motion sickness. Could this technique work equally well for a character on the ground*, or is there something special about the flyer being in free space that makes it work so well?

* I am imagining something like Crash Bandicoot where movement is primarily forwards with only limited sideways motion

17. Lehar2010

Lehar2010

This is pretty interesting for indie mobile game development companies like us,wanting to be a pro in VR .Good luck!

18. glitchers

glitchers

@willgoldstone These VR samples are fantastic - really helped us work on a prototype for a game quickly.

What is the plan for integrating the Google Daydream into this package? I've seen the work for getting this to work with Google Cardboard by @Selzier which is great but an official update to this package for Daydream would be amazing.

wcoastsands likes this.
  19. Arjunkp

Arjunkp

I am kind of new to VR. I have no idea where to start. Can someone walk me though the basics or direct me to someplace where they does ?

20. Selzier

Selzier

wcoastsands likes this.
  21. anajames86

anajames86

The VR samples looks really great. Well done.

22. Talinwind

Talinwind

Hello, I like this asset ! I use lot of pieces for my own exploration of VR dev !!
    I wonder, is it a way to map Button.Dpad ? (Up/Down/Left/Right)
    this input is present in Oculus remote, Xbox controller and Gear VR.
    it will be so nice to have some example using this cross

(some ref from Oculus SDK)

For example you look at a cube,
    click / double click interaction change color as it is in the current demo
    Dpad is used to rotate the cube...

23. HamFar

HamFar

In the scripts, I am frequently seeing a different way of handling events.

What I had learned from the documentation was that you define an event of a delegate type (in the publishing script - the event sender) and then you subscribe and unsubscribe them in OnEnable and OnDisable methods of another script (in the subscription script - the event receiver).

But in VR Samples project, I am also seeing the OnDestroy method that simply sets the events to null to ensure that they are completely unsubscribed when the game object is destroyed.

Are these two ways the same? Are there any considerations that experienced developers can share with me; e.g. when to use which?

24. NinaNinaNinaNina

NinaNinaNinaNina

Selzier likes this.
  25. anajames86

anajames86

Amazing work this is

26. uyar

uyar

hey i tried this with gear VR but position of the controller seems to be mapped to the oriantation of head. (for example in galery example you can only aim by turning your head). is it normal? if it is how it supposed to be, is there an example to use gear vrs controller (as a weapon for example)

27. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

These examples were made before the Gear VR controller existed so yes it's normal. The Oculus Utilities has 1 example scene using the controller. My product down in my signature has a couple of more in depth examples.

The Gear VR controller has been out a little bit over a month so I'm sure given time more examples will pop up.

28. anajames86

anajames86

That's how a VR gear should work i guess. I have not used it much but just an opinion.

29. wcoastsands

wcoastsands

The main difference between these two are:
    1. You add and remove methods to events using += and -= during OnEnable and OnDisable respectively
    2. You clear the event by assigning it = null during OnDestroy, essentially resetting it.
    You normally use the first to assign methods to, or remove methods from, events defined in a manager class. If you're adding and removing methods using assignment operators += and -= respectively. This preserves any other methods you may have assigned to those events, allowing you can have multiple methods assigned to those events at any time. In this case you're adding them when the component becomes enabled, or when the GameObject is set active. Then, removing the method from the event when the component or GameObject is disabled. You do this so that the method isn't invoked while the component is disabled.

The second case is used to clean up or reset an event. When you unload a scene, you'll want to remove any methods assigned to events from components that are being unloaded. Rather than removing methods one at a time using the -= assignment operator during OnDestroy in each component, you can assign the event = null to remove them all at once.

HamFar likes this.
  30. KB

KB

Nice samples but frustrating to muck about to make things work for HTC Vive and other devices and then you're still left with keyboard/mouse controls that you can not see due to wearing headset.

Seems like we could do with a generic input method (along with generic camera setup) so Unity detects your setup and picks the most appropriate devices etc. which, for the Vive, is nearly always going to be the HTC controllers. This way I can follow the Unity tag line of... what is it?... write once, deploy anywhere with ease.

At the moment, if the Unity VR samples are not generic then it's not really "there" yet. Nice start (and I know it says at the start that it's for a subset of hardware but that's what we don't want in Unity, we use Unity to get away from all that platform dependant nightmare), let's get it finished, please...

:)

chrshffmn, wcoastsands and HamFar like this.
  31. AnTi_MTtr

AnTi_MTtr

Can't download this sample, and all the link does is open the default unity project opening page with no link to the sample in the page. Is this completely broken?

32. chilton

chilton

Unity VR builds on iOS are horribly broken. Eyes go in wonky directions.

Still no ETA on a fix?

33. vzheng

vzheng

Unity 5.6.2,Mac OS, i download the latest version on assetStore, but it does not work. can not rotate camera by mouse.

34. HarBenly

HarBenly

It helped man. Thanks!

greggtwep16 likes this.
  35. ZakBelg

ZakBelg

I have executed this samples in windows mixed reality portal and it works fine with some important notice: I did not found the way how do an action? It runs in unity editor and portal both, and I use mouse in WMR emulator to move "head" and mouse click works in Unity Editir only! How do the "clik","tap" or something in WMR shell?

36. Vivekshah

Vivekshah

37. Nyxophonic

Nyxophonic

I have just started using unity. Can someone kindly explain to me how I could use these VR samples with HTC Vive?

38. mikey113

mikey113

Hi there comunity.

I am using Input from VR samples in my app for gear VR. However I have some issues with ExampleInterectiveItem which handle input even if the gazeover is not even on that object. I spend so much time figuring out what can cause this but was not able to find out anything. Anybody experienced similar issue? Or any possible fixes for that?

Your help is much appreciated
    Thank you

39. vrkala

vrkala

عینک واقعیت مجازی سایت وی آر کالا یکی از پیشگامان عرصه واقعیت مجازی در ایران است بزودی ما خواهیم توانست که همگام با توسعه جهانی عینک واقعیت مجازی پیش برویم وآن را به ایرانیان عزیز بشناسانیم . هموطنان دوست دار تکنولوژی میتوانند حداقل با خرید یک عینک واقعیت مجازی به این تکنولوژیin hran vr started in 2014 and our teem started in low price and good vr glasses in persian be : بپیوندند.

40. BigToe

BigToe

When I import and include "ProjectSettings.asset", the projects works immediately after download and I can connect to the DK2. But subsequent launches of the project on Unity 5.6 (Mac), I can no longer connect to the DK2.

If I import the project without "ProjectSettings.asset" and enable VR in the player settings, I can open and close the project and still connect to the DK2.

Disabling the "ProjectSettings.asset" also allowed me connect to the DK2 with Unity 2017, where before, I couldn't get it to connect even after initial download.

Also. I have tried resetting all the individual settings in ProjectSettings, but could never get it to the connection to the DK2. So just disabling on import is the best bet...But it would be nice not to have to do that.

41. pramodnp

pramodnp

I'm unable to find the asset on asset store

42. JacekMackiewicz

JacekMackiewicz

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.