Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity UI Extensions project updated to 1.1 - tons of new features

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by SimonDarksideJ, Jun 4, 2016.

1. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

It's been a while so the new content has really been piling up from the community, plus I've been hammering away to make them all shine and also make most more programmatic.

https://bitbucket.org/ddreaper/unity-ui-extensions

The Unity UI Extensions project is a managed collection of some of the best community contributed scripts to enhance your Unity UI experience, adding new controls / effects / managers and features. With this release we have even added some non-UI features just because they are awesome and need really shouting out to help with your day to day Unity life.

New / updated features
    • New Polygon primitive
    • New UI Vertical Scroller control
    • New Curved layout component
    • New Shining effect
    • New UI Particle system
    • New Scroll Conflict Manager
    • Soft Alpha Mask updated in line with SAUI 1.3 release
    • Line Renderer has had a complete overhaul, including full programmatic support, Line list and Bezier line rendering
    • Horizontal and Vertical Scroll Snaps updated to include a Starting page, current page and transition speed parameters. Plus a new GoToPage, Add and Remove page functions
    • Added some script helper functions for LZF compression and Serialization
    • Two utilities to help manage drag thresholds on high PPI systems
    Fixes
    • Line Render almost completely re-written with tons of fixes
    • Radial layout updated to avoid 360 overlap (first and last)
    • Scroll Snaps updates to better handle children.
    • Scroll Snaps distribute function updated so it can be called onDirty more efficiently.
    Next steps are to record some more control videos and update the earlier release packages for 4.x/5.1 (due to their UI API differences), however this will be the last release that we update those versions. From now on we'll only focus on 5.3+

If you have any comments / suggestions / feedback or even a control you want to contribute. Then head over to the bitbucket site and raise an issue:
    https://bitbucket.org/ddreaper/unity-ui-extensions/issues?status=new&status=open

Lastly, a couple of extra updates. I've put the UI Extensions project in a few more places so you can get updates and news when things change, if I have time I'll also put a little website together but for now these will do:
    To close, I'll also be publishing the UI Extensions project asset to the Unity Asset store as a paid asset. This is purely for donations to the project, the project still remains free and accessible via BitBucket. As you can appreciate it takes a lot of work to manage the project, coordinate the control, package and record sessions. So if you like the project and use it, please consider supporting the project.
    Some of the individual controls also have donations links, so if you are finding controls extremely useful, so please also support the devs if you can. No pressure, it's all up to you :D

Right, that's it, I'm off to record some more videos and close out this update. Stay tuned for more updates.

zeb33, TrickyHandz and rahuxx like this.
  2. jGate99

jGate99

it'd really great if Horizontal and Vertical Scroll Snaps provide Virtualization Support.

3. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

As with everything else, raise an issue proposal and we'll see if one of the contributors can add that or if I have time :D

4. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Right, after a quick lunchtime sprint, the earlier releases have been updated to the 1.1 release. Controls (where possible) have been migrated / updated.
    Just check the release notes for each release.

Also be sure to check the Update notes where applicable (Unity still can't handle "moved" files in an asset upgrade)

I'll restate for clarity, these will be the last updates to the 4.x/5.1/5.2 assets so we can focus on the newer 5.3 onwards releases.

P.S
    Still keeping those versions installed for a short while for any bug fixes

5. justtime

justtime

Hi there!
    Seems, that this asset doesn't fit for massive usage. I'am drawing grids with a lot of lines and rects (around 1500 and 300) and on enable/disable objects fps goes down dramatically due to CG on Canvas.sendwillrendercanvases or MaskableGraphic.OnDisable
    Here some screens

Attached Files:

6. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Hi @justtime
    Responded to your post on BitBucket and you have to remember that this is still based on the Unity UI system and reliant on it's framework. So having 100's of items on a canvas isn't going to perform well, you have to optimise as shown on the Unite sessions this year.

That being said, new controls like the "GridRenderer" extend the line renderer to control how the line is generated resulting in a grid with only one draw call. So it's best to optimise the mesh you generate within a single RectTransform and it will perform a lot better. The UIConnector does something similar and we just had a PR for drawing multiple lines with the same Line Renderer which I'm reviewing.

Hope that helps