Search Unity

Unity RTS Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Feb 7, 2017.

1. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Is it just me or does the selection health bar not work like intended? It ignores pivot point and somewhat offset the empty health bar, you should either make this a mask or not scale the current way it's done, with custom UI art it's a pain to get it working.

2. OussamaB

OussamaB

It should be easy to do that but since I don't own that asset then I can't really say much.
    The camera has been and will be more improved. What exactly is missing right now and that you urgently need?

That is unfortunately not possible.

3. OussamaB

OussamaB

I am sorry but the selection health bar is currently not fully implemented. I started in the past updates to add it but got busy with other features and forgot to remove the work I've done in it. I will take care of that ASAP.

4. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I think we are talking about different health bars, I mean this is always happening to me:

Notice how the "Health bar fill" is having its own life.. and it's happening over and over again.

5. OussamaB

OussamaB

This is unusual.
    Make sure that the health bar is child of the "SingleSelection" UI Panel. And make sure its anchor presets are: middle and center.

MHolmstrom likes this.
  6. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Thanks, that somewhat did the trick.
    I was wondering about a request.
    I could do it myself I guess by enabling and disable in the "building" placement script.
    Anyhow, I want a Build button to open up a task menu for ONLY Buildings when you have a worker selected because I'll use the current task panel as an "action bar" for move command, attack command etc in future.

But the problem is I can't separate buildings from training units, this would force the player to press that building button in order to train units but it's supposed to be a building task button, not units that will work the same way as before.
    So what I'm asking, how can I enable a panel only displaying Buildings when a select a worker?

And this might be an issue just for me but when I write a description, selecting sprites for prefabs such as buildings it will get unloaded somehow or restored to 8h ago. I save/save the project from time to time but it just goes back, it's like my .meta files are not beeing saved anymore, any help with that?

Edit: My AI will not spawn workers or build anymore, any hint?
    Edit 2: It spawns workers when I attack the enemy base, but not in runtime and it does not try to build either.. seems like a faction id issue but I'm not 100% sure if "Faction 1" in the Game manager is ID 0? thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  7. OussamaB

OussamaB

The current task panel displays only buildings that can be placed by the worker so it's actually what you're looking for.
    Move commands and attack commands are directly implemented.
    HOWEVER,
    I will add these commands as part of the task panel and then we will be able to split them.
    Which commands exactly are you looking for? (besides movement and attack)

If you are updating the prefab's info from the scene without applying it to the actual prefab inside the project then it won't actually update and all your change will be discarded as soon as you click on play. This applies only for scripts that use a custom inspector. Make sure you update the prefabs directly from the project or apply every change you make to the prefab.

- Any more? Can you remember what changes you applied to the inspector/scripts before this issue occurred?

8. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Thanks for the reply, what commands I'm looking at are patrolling go from the current pos to a temp pos you apply and ping pong from point A - B, something that triggers our existing function in 'units.cs' I can't remember the name (I'm on the phone) but it's a float look for target or something so you can use kite with your casters or anyone really.
    The normal stop and move action but within the task menu, I'll do some kind of hotkey editor for all things within the task menu.

The building button would not work unless we can put training units, research and building tasks into categories.

What I did was simply but a new building mesh prefab into the by then working capital center so I was confused.

Also, I guess the next update will use faction ID 0 for natural monsters? So we don't get confused because of faction ID 1 beeing faction id 0 in the faction manager?

Also, I know my unity so I do change the prefabs from the project, not the inspector, so I just might have to update unity or something because I think losing references to some prefabs is my editors' problem. What version is the most stable with RTS ENGINE?

Edit 1:
    Just duplicated the actual working one and added the mesh again and this time it works.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  9. OussamaB

OussamaB

Okay that's a reasonable suggestion. I will separate training units, research and construction tasks in the task menu.

This will actually cause confusion for other users. Neutral units have the faction ID of -1. In fact you just need to set them to "Free Units" (bool) in the inspector and the faction will be automatically changed.
    You can actually open the "GameManagerEditor.cs" script and modify that and have the first faction show as faction ID 0. (I can send you the modified script in case you want).

The asset has been submitted with Unity 5.5.0 and it should work equally stable for all the versions above.

10. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

If I want to get ridd of this Border thing, is it just to comment out the whoe script, delete it or tweek here and there?

11. OussamaB

OussamaB

Getting rid of the whole border concept will make it all chaotic, AI factions depend on the borders to place buildings and expand and collect resources. You can get red of it but it will have bad consequences on the AI performance.

12. OussamaB

OussamaB

The new update is now available on the asset, let me know what you guys think!
    In the meantime, I am already working on a new update

13. patodonald

patodonald

hello this asset hv save game?

14. OussamaB

OussamaB

Currently that is not available.

15. navy3000

navy3000

any chase to have a tank type of unit? or a tank with like 2 turrets? (im thinking about getting this kit and the game im going to try to make will have naval units so if not i can figure something out)

16. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Hope next update has base upgrading just waiting on that for my project we got all models and ui done :p

17. navy3000

navy3000

also i tried to buy this..and the unity asset store will not let me

is there any other way to buy this?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  18. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

My border is not working anymore at all, Everything is outside of it. I have imported the default one but it's not working anyway..

19. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

@MHolmstrom
    Have you made sure your Border is on it own border layer?

@OussamaB
    If you decide to touch on that Tank idea I can provide a model of a Stationary Turret (Building), Tank (Unit)
    And an APC(vehicle to carry units.)
    I'm not good at Boat modeling so I can't help with @navy3000 battleship dual turret idea. But if you use my Tank Turret and pop it on a rectangle twice it might work for Basic concept. Just let me know. Here the untextured screen grab of what I''m talking about. Iv made them in 3DS MAX 2015

20. OussamaB

OussamaB

- The ability to have multiple attack sources (in your case multiple turrets) is planned.
    - The only thing missing to create a tank right now is probably the ability to rotate the top of the tank independently from the lower part of the tank. This feature is actually implemented in the Tower building (Attack building) and therefore it should be easy to do the same thing for the units (next update).
    - Naval units are planned but I can probably say it will be available in about maximally 3 weeks (the two next updates are already planned).

navy3000 likes this.
  21. OussamaB

OussamaB

The next update won't but the one after it will.

P.S: I am interested to see screenshots (maybe a video) of what you have achieved so far with the asset!

22. OussamaB

OussamaB

What error does it give you? Have you tried contacting the asset store?

23. OussamaB

OussamaB

"I have imported the default one but it's not working anyway.." which default one?
    What changes have you made to the scripts that relate to the border system?
    Can AI Factions still gather resources?

24. navy3000

navy3000

the error is

"The system failed to process your card at this time. Please double check your billing details, try a new credit card, or contact your bank."

but my card is perfely fine..i was able to buy a game on steam with no problem after it failed to buy this..and i know i have more then $45.. i did send support a email but i got nothing back form them yet

25. OussamaB

OussamaB

That would be awesome. The APC will be actually available in the next update and I'm still struggling to find a good model for it. As for the boat models, I already have a couple from the open source assets god Kenney.
    Just let me know over PM how you want to send the models. Your help is deeply appreciated.

26. OussamaB

OussamaB

Sounds like a problem from your part. Have you tried buying assets before? Did this ever happened to you while doing that? You can maybe try purchasing a cheaper asset (one that costs a dollar or so) and see if the same error persists.

27. navy3000

navy3000

i was able to buy assets before with no problem..and i have more then $45 on the card and it is not disabled or anything

28. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

The only changes I've made is for animations and I have not yet touched the border. Unit.cs and resources.cs have some animation and custom states such as what kind of resource you are turning in and then it changes animation so my workers carry wood on the shoulder, carry food in a bag and minerals in a cart, that's the only custom things I have made.
    So the border.cs and the prefab are just as the default one from the demo level.

29. navy3000

navy3000

so could you say make a paypal button set it to 45 and have it where when i pay it it gives me the files? cause the unity asset store seems to not like me..tried all i can think of

30. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

There some of what i can let out for now :D , last two images are under material rework so we texturing them again , Then the last image where its the Frame being constructed then the Building :)

I got lots to do since we having over 12+ Factions :p

OussamaB likes this.
  31. navy3000

navy3000

12+? wow my game will have about 9 factions re-telling the story of WWII

32. OussamaB

OussamaB

This is very weird.
    - You haven't answered one of my questions tho, can NPC Factions still gather resources?
    - Can you make sure that the "Border.cs" script is placed in the same game object as the "Building.cs" script?
    - Can you take a screenshot of the "Border.cs" inspector? (the one that is not working as intended).
    - Is the border created correctly? (appears in the minimap, etc).

In order to find out the reason of this issue, please answer me these questions and I will then send you a modified "Border.cs" script that will allow you to debug the source of the problem.

33. OussamaB

OussamaB

Are you still facing the same problem?
    The thing is I really want to keep everything organised in the asset store so that you can keep getting updates.
    In case the asset store could not fix your problem we will look for another alternative.

34. OussamaB

OussamaB

Man this is looking so good! Please do keep me updated on your game!

35. navy3000

navy3000

alright.. the auto email i got said i will get a reply with in 5 bisness days so i will let you know if they can help with the problem or not

and yes im still getting the same problems

36. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Im actually doing WWII to SCI-FI Im not doing a WWII Story just kinda like WWII Scientists discover Alien Tech and Alien Worlds so we are making a World system where you got take over a home world and stuff like that kinda like how Dawn Of War Campaign was. But yea not focus on WWII just having WWII Stuff for Human Upgrades to WWII to Modern then to SCI-FI , And thats where im waiting on building Upgrades :D
    Actually here ill post this photo of our Upgrade Concept maybe it can help @OussamaB see what i mean by the upgrading system.

So as you can see once "Player or AI" Have HQ Built they are allowed to build Barracks and Research Lab , Then once they have those buildings they are allowed to Unlock the Vehicle Construction Building once they have the Vehicle Construction Building they can upgrade their HQ to Tier 2 HQ , then the process repeats its self.

37. navy3000

navy3000

cool!

ya my WWII RTS will be telling the story of WWII where you can play as

Russia

Germany

USA

Japan

France

Poland

italian

U.K

Chine

and it will be from their point of view AKA with the US it starts when pearl is bombed and the player has to try to defend it with the 2 fighter planes

for Japan it starts at the very start before WWII started invading China

38. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Cool! :D

39. navy3000

navy3000

ya also instade of upgrading the buildings in your game..why not do something like what supcom did? AKA once you build the last building that building can build a "T2" builder that can build T2 stuff?

40. navy3000

navy3000

also idea

a bunker like building that can hold a number of units and the units can attack hostiles while they are inside the building
    like the bunker form starcraft

MHolmstrom and Paul-Swanson like this.
  41. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

That does look fantastic. I'm really digging the scaffolding but you've done. If you don't mind can you provide some tips on your work flow with That? I'm trying to do something similar but yours looks far superior.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  42. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

I would have to talk to my modelers on how they did it , Ive just been making props since im also working on many other things. Like how to make freaking Photon Network work on the Asset! :|

43. kenmgrimm

kenmgrimm

Hey guys, it looks like in the last update StopMvt (); was added to the end of Unit.cs: void Start(). Is there a reason that this is necessary? My units no longer head to the gotoposition on spawn because Start() gets executed after the OnUnitPathComplete callback where the navmeshagent begins moving.

A 2nd issue I've been seeing since before this last update is that when I modify the prefab of any Unit / Building / etc that uses a CustomEditor, the settings do not save once you close and re-open the editor. I had to
    EditorUtility.SetDirty(Target);

to the end of OnInspectorGUI() in those scripts to actually get the prefabs to save.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  44. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will implement the upgrading system gradually starting with building upgrades.

CPTEliteWarfare likes this.
  45. OussamaB

OussamaB

That should not be there, thanks for letting me know.

You either need to update the prefab or add that line of code. Sorry for the inconvenience.

46. kenmgrimm

kenmgrimm

Thank you. Regarding the prefab not saving when using the CustomEditor, what do you mean by "update the prefab"? I'm actually modifying the prefab directly and finding that when doing so it will not mark itself as dirty and therefore allow a save unless if I add that line of code to all of those editor scripts. Hmm, maybe you are saying to drag the prefab into the scene, modify, Apply. I guess that would work too.

47. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

2 Questions
    1. Is there a way to make it so certain Units can attack only Air units?
    For Ground that is easy [simply don't use the can attack air units].
    But lets say an Air Defense System that should only be able to target Airborn units or a Helicopter that would only be able to attack other Helicopters. I don't see away to enable that sort of thing. Very possible I simply didn't see it...

2. I know in your general animation controller there are 6 states of animation.
    How simple is it to add a 'taking damage' state and then make it so it appears in the Inspector?
    I saw a Unit Damage effect, but in my purposes I'm not interested in using a particle effect. Id rather use an animation state :) (it is entirely possible I'm simply misunderstanding that game object box)

48. OussamaB

OussamaB

Both suggestions are simple to add, will be available in the next update!
    Expect the submission of the next update in maximum 3 days.

CPTEliteWarfare likes this.
  49. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Wonderful news mate!

50. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

One more question...I've been busy today (now that most of my modeling is complete :) )
    The Death State in the animation controller doesn't seem to actually do anything. My units simply disappear and don't play the death animation that I have selected. The rest of my states work correctly.
    This is what my controller is set like
    Iv removed the transition from Idle and instead Connected 'Any State' to 'Dead', Removed Has Exit Time. Conditions IsDead as True.

When I view the Preview window it functions like I want it to, but When I tested in in the game itself they just Poof outta sight. I'm rather puzzled as I can't find anything wrong.

I did find a spot in the Unit.cs where it does: SetAnimState (UnitAnimState.Dead); on Line 772 in the DestroyUnitLocal () function, so as far as I can tell it should be working. But your the brains behind this :) Not sure if I broke something or if I bumbled upon a feature that is not yet fully implemented.