Search Unity

Unity RTS Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Feb 7, 2017.

1. OussamaB

OussamaB

The Unity RTS Engine provides all the features required to create your own RTS game and customize it. It handles map creation, factions, AI, buildings, units, combat, tasks, resources, UI, singleplayer, multiplayer and much more!

Features:
    • Maps & Factions:
      • Create and customize unique maps.
      • Create factions and customize each one by having assigning a unique set of buildings, units, tasks and limitations.
      • Customize NPC factions and control their behavior completely from the inspector to set up multiple difficulty levels and get a different experience each time while playing against NPC factions.
      • Have control over all aspects of the NPC factions decision making process by tweak AI-related components easily from the inspector and set up various AI difficulty levels to provide a different experience within each game.
    • Resources:
      • Create and customize different types of resources for the factions to collect and use them to place buildings, launch tasks and create units.
      • Make resource collectors gather resources automatically or have them drop them off at a building when reaching a certain amount.
      • Add Treasure objects in a map and reward the faction that claim them with resources.
    • Buildings:
      • Create buildings and make each one deliver a different task for the faction: increase the faction slots, attack enemy units, upgrade units/other buildings, generate resources, teleport units, act as a hideout for units and much more.
      • Customize buildings even more by adding health states and construction states which allow the building to display its current health state by hiding/showing special effects and/or different parts of its model.
      • Each faction have borders in the map which allow the faction to exploit resources and place buildings inside the territory defined by the borders.
      • Enable borders in the map to either allow factions to claim territories in the game and be able to exclusively place buildings and collect resources inside their territories or disable borders to allow factions to act freely in the game’s map.
    • Upgrades:
      • Easy to use upgrade components allow to upgrade units and buildings.
      • Any upgrade can trigger other unit/building upgrades allowing you to define upgrades which advances a faction to the next age.
    • Units:
      • Create different types of units that deliver tasks such as constructing buildings, gathering resources, attacking other factions, healing other units, converting enemy units, transporting other units and much more.
      • Enable automatic behavior for units to allow healers and converters to locate target units in a predefined range and exercise their abilities and to allow builders/resource collectors to locate buildings that require construction or resources that can be collected instead of staying idle.
      • Create different types of units the same way: If it’s a simple walking unit, a catapult, a boat, a tank, a plane or even a spacecraft, use the same process to create various and unique units.
      • Move different unit types/groups using different movement formations and define all movement related settings easily from the inspector.
      • Create free units that don’t belong to any faction and place in the map and use them as protectors for treasures and rewards in the map, animals that can be hunted by player and NPC factions or whatever suits your RTS game.
    • Combat/Attack System:
      • Units/buildings can attack enemy units or buildings directly or by using an attack object (bullet, arrow, rocket, etc..). Damage can be applied to a single target or to all targets an area of effect. Other attack settings include: Damage over time, cool downs, damage/attack effects, line of sight, switching between multiple attacks and much much more.
      • Define and assign different attack range types (short range, long range, etc..) and movement/attack formations for attack units easily from the inspector.
    • Task System:
      • Attach the Task Launcher component to a unit or a building and create tasks for it. Task types include: unit creation, research, self-destruction, upgrade triggers and custom casks. Custom tasks are tasks that only trigger delegate/Unity events to your custom components and pass all the task information entered in the Task Launcher allowing you to further customize the asset.
      • Each Task Launcher can trigger events independently when the task is launched, completed and/or cancelled.
    • Camera:
      • RTS Camera providing all the required features: zooming, movement limitations, following units, panning and more.
      • RTS Minimap & Minimap Camera allowing for faster and more efficient navigation through the map and allows to alert the player when their units/buildings are under attack.
      • Define different minimap icons for faction/free unit/building types and resource types allowing the player to have a complete understanding of the events throughout the whole map.
    • Selection:
      • Select single or multiple units, buildings or resources to display information about them and assign them tasks. All selection features that you expect to find in a classic RTS game (double click on unit to select same unit-type in range, select player’s faction idle units and more).
      • Group Selection: Assign a selected group of units to a predefined key and select the same group each time by using the same key.
    • UI:
      • Full UI for the game that includes a task panel, single/multiple selection panels, resource panel, pause menu, win/lose game menu, tool-tip menu, hover health bar (display health when the player’s mouse is over a building/unit) and more.
      • Option to use different UI styles/sprites for different faction types.
    • Missions & Scenarios:
      • Fully dynamic and customizable mission system which allows to create a singleplayer campaign.
      • Built in mission types (resource collection, unit/building production/elimination, survival etc..) and forfeit conditions (time limit, defend units/buildings, faction defeat and more) and custom mission types/forfeit conditions that can be customized through your own components.
      • Each scenario is a series of missions that must be completed by the player in a sequential order and which can be used in any map scene.
      • An example campaign menu is provided allowing you to define a series of scenarios which the player can load, play and complete in order to unlock the next scenario.
    • Singleplayer & Multiplayer:
      • Fully functional singleplayer menu that allows the player to select a map, see its features (max factions, initial population, etc..), pick the the speed modifier, win/lose game conditions, the amount of factions to play, faction colors, set the difficulty level of AI factions and more.
      • Multiplayer mode powered by Mirror
      • Fully functional multiplayer menu that that allows the player to host/join local or internet lobbies, pick their faction type, color and name. Allow a lobby’s host only to pick a map to play in, the win/lose condition and the speed modifier and allow the host only to start the game when all players are marked as ready.
    • Scripting:
      • Nearly everything can customized from the inspector. In any case you want to dig in the code, the comments will guide you in every line.
      • Customize your RTS game furthermore using custom delegate events which allow you to access components of objects that are related to the event. For example one of the events is called when a unit is created, from this event you can access the whole Unit component of the newly created unit and get/set attributes and call methods from within the Unit component.
      • Full list of custom events can be found in this doc page.
      • Create units, buildings, resources and more by calling simple methods from your own components.
    Demo:
    Standalone Download (Recommended)
    WebGL Demo

Documentation:
    Online Documentation

Discord:
    Join the official RTS Engine Discord.

Third Party Support:
    ChangeLog:
    Changlog and release notes can be found here.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    toodoIT, NCP722, RoyalAllen and 2 others like this.
  2. OussamaB

OussamaB

Screenshots:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello George,

- Each building has two Colliders. One that identifies its frontiers so that no other buildings can be built in a defined distance from it. And another Collider that, when clicked, allows the player to select the building. It looks like the selection collider for some of the building is miss-placed.
    - Can you please explain more what is the exact problem with the current minimap?
    - Tower Defense buildings are on the to-do list. They will be added in the first updates.
    - Upgrading units/buildings is on the to-do list as well.

4. OussamaB

OussamaB

Alright. Thanks for taking the time and explaining your suggestion. Added to the to-do list as well.

The package has been submitted since the 12th of this month and I'm still awaiting the approval from the asset store team. Hopefully it'll be available soon.

5. JessieK

JessieK

Do you plan on including "Attack move" like games such as Starctaft 1 and 2 have?

When you select a point on the ground with attack-move, you will begin moving to that point, but stop and attack any hostile unit as soon as it enters your range.

6. OussamaB

OussamaB

The aim is to have a fully-featured RTS Engine. Features will be added to the asset depending on their importance and demand from users. So yes, any suitable suggestion like this goes directly to the to-do list and will be available in an update.

7. JessieK

JessieK

Sounds great, also one thing I see you mention here but doesn't seem to be in the demo, how do factions work? It seems to be that in the demo you just let the player rename each faction, can this be adjusted easily so they are set to just a few options (Much like starcraft)

8. OussamaB

OussamaB

You can have factions in game that have unique buildings and/or units. The faction selection menu still lacks some options. This will be a prioritized thing to change. Thanks for pointing this out!

Just wanted to announce that the asset is now available on the asset store (link in main post)! And to celebrate the release, you can get the RTS Engine with a Special Release Price (40% OFF).

9. JessieK

JessieK

Sounds good, I'd just prefer the option to disable players being able to rename that faction, and rather have it more like most RTS games where the faction just has a name.

10. OussamaB

OussamaB

That is coming in the next update which will be submitted later on today. I will keep you updated.

11. SocialFreak

SocialFreak

Do you have any tutorial videos for this? I don't see any demo scenes in the package which makes it a little hard to understand how to get started. Am I supposed to just follow the online docs cause just creating a building is pretty complex but when I start the scene after creating a building I can't see it. Yes, I have it set at a Building layer.

12. SocialFreak

SocialFreak

One other suggestion as this is a work in progress. I have another asset and and after verifying our purchase, he gets us beta version direct before uploading to the asset store. This way we can help each other faster while waiting on the asset store posts.

13. SocialFreak

SocialFreak

Found the demo scenes but I'd still like to see some demo videos. Thanks!

14. OussamaB

OussamaB

@SocialFreak As you have already found. There's a demo scene. Tutorial videos are of course something planned. But first I'd like to get the asset to a state where I won't have to upload new videos each time I make a small update.
    I tried to make the online documentation as simple as possible and broke it down to different parts. Can you please let me know what exactly was not clear while creating a building?

15. SocialFreak

SocialFreak

Thanks for the quick reply!

What I'm working on is an RTS game overlayed onto something other than unity terrain since I am using APEX Path wich can be used without Nav baking to handle pathfinding so I am trying to figure out how I can integrate your system into mine.

Sorry for the vaugeness but can't really give out to many details. Currently, I am starting small and just creating prefabs with some of your components, buildings, etc and bringing them into my scene.

I'll work awhile with it and post any specfic questions I come up with.

Cheers!

16. OussamaB

OussamaB

Good luck with your game! I hope the RTS Engine will be as much useful as possible for what you're trying to achieve.

On another note, I've just uploaded a new update. Here's the update list:

- Fixed the selection collider for some buildings in the demo scene.
    - Added "faction type definition" in the Game Manager component: Each faction type is defined by a name, code and buildings that can only be placed by that faction.
    - Each map can have a list of possible faction types that can play in it.
    - Added the ability to pick a faction type in the single player and multiplayer menus.
    - Each building can have faction type specific tasks.
    - The faction name and type are now both displayed on the selection menu when a unit/building is selected.

17. w34edrtfg

w34edrtfg

Tested the demo, got an exception on first shot against an enemy. (Heaviest soldier vs worker)

18. OussamaB

OussamaB

That is unusual. Is this happening each time a unit shoots another unit or a building? Have you edited anything in the demo prior to the appearance of this exception?

19. OussamaB

OussamaB

The latest update is now available on the asset store. A new demo has been uploaded and the documentation has been updated as well.
    Another update will follow soon and will mainly introduce the "Attack Building Component" (for making tower buildings).

20. nikzhurik

nikzhurik

Thanks for amazing kit!

I would very much like to see in the future the possibility of buildings to generate resources, and also to place such buildings only in certain places. For example, a mine that can be built only over a field.

Also i found some bugs: the sound effect doesnt play when selecting a building and when gaving an order for unit to attack. Also very annoying when the same sound palying at the same time, it becomes louder several times (order to move for several soldiers at the same time).

21. OussamaB

OussamaB

Glad you like the asset!

That's a very suggestion. Noted as well and hopefully will get into as soon as possible.

Thanks for reporting the bug, it will be fixed in the next update which will be submitted in a maximum of two days.

22. OussamaB

OussamaB

New update has been submitted! The update introduces mainly the "Attack Building" component aka the "Tower Defense" buildings. Here's the update list:

- Added the "AttackBuilding" component which allows buildings to launch attacks at enemy units (allowing a building to behave like a "tower").
    - Added a new building prefab in the demo scene: The Tower.
    - Fixed playing audio on building selection.
    - Fixed playing audio on multiple units selection and multiple units attack order.
    - Added many audio clips as sound effects for the demo scene.
    - Fixed the flashing enemy building texture when the player orders units to attack it.

23. OussamaB

OussamaB

The latest update is now available on the Asset Store. Another update will soon follow up.

It would be much appreciated if you rate and review the asset. Thanks!

24. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi OussamaB,

I'm really liking how the RTS framework is looking and will be purchasing the asset shortly.

When I play via the webplayer, I tell a soldier to attack a worker and exception error occurs and freezes the game play. Im unsure whether or not your aware of this. (
    works fine in the demo download)

Regarding possible / future updates, is it possible to allow for a perimeter wall placement as such ?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  25. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello,

Thanks for reporting the problem in the web player demo. I will upload a new demo ASAP.

As for the suggestion, it is right on my to-do list. But I can't really tell you when exactly will it be available. What I know for sure is the next update will support upgrades (units, buildings, age).

26. Canthitcrap

Canthitcrap

Couple of quick questions 1. Can I change the size of the map? and if so, how big is too big? 2. Will you be adding "water" terrain so there can be naval units/buildings/engagements?

27. OussamaB

OussamaB

1) Yes you can change the size map. The maximum size depends on the units, buildings you have and how you want the result gameplay to be. There's really no limit, it all depends on you what you're trying to achieve.
    2) Depends on many things. Right I have more "urgent" updates to do. However that is something I wanted to do from the beginning.

About the work in progress update:

Unit upgrades is ready and working. What is still left right now is to determine the NPC factions behavior regarding unit upgrades and that will be available in the next update.

28. OussamaB

OussamaB

Just submitted a new update today! The update is mainly about building tasks' upgrades. Here's the list of changes to expect:

- Small bug fixes.
    - Task Upgrades have been added: Unit Creation tasks can have an unlimited amount of upgrades. Each upgrade allows to the same task to produce another unit.
    - When a task upgrade is applied on one building, it will be applied to the all buildings, belonging to the same faction, of the same type.
    - Introduced a new Unit in the demo scene: The Robot unit which will serve as an upgrade for the Soldier unit.
    - Updated the NPC components in order to handle task upgrades.

29. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Didn't know where to go to support for this but im having a issue with Multiplayer.

I did everything as in the Documentation so what happens is that everyone can join the lobby fine but as soon we go into game only the host can see the Starting Center Building. If i build a unit everyone else see's it spawn and does its normal things its just that Center Building that they are suppose to control they cant see on Start

UPDATE ON ISSUE:
    NVM! Got it working every time i would build the Project it wouldnt save the Faction ID. So got that working now so everything is fine!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  30. w34edrtfg

w34edrtfg

Giving more feedback:
    - You should display the area limits of each building as its hard to know where you can/t place buildings. Same goes for the cities. As you can't see the range you don't know if you're putting them too near or what.
    - There can't be multiple people/AI in the same Faction? I can only have enemies :S
    - I'm still having the exception whenever i make the first shot against an enemy (just build 1 soldier type 2, went to shoot the enemy and boom exception)

31. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello, glad you fixed the problem. However, could you please let me know exactly where the Faction ID was not being saved and how did you manage to do that? Just in case someone faces the same problem in the future or I can add that to the documentation.

A_Akkad likes this.
  32. OussamaB

OussamaB

This is a pretty good suggestion, added to the to-do list. Thanks!

I don't get this one. Are you referring to making peace and/or alliances with AI Factions?

This issue is present only in the WebGL build. Are you getting the same error in the editor or the standalone build?

33. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

When you make your CenterFaction(Tower) into a Prefab(Blue Text) and set the Faction ID to 0 it will apply it to all other CenterFactions even if you changed them on the map you can save the map which does save the Factions ID but once you build the game and run it the Factions ID get changed back into 0 because of the CenterFaction Prefab that their calling. So you have to make sure your CenterFaction(Tower) is a Non-Prefab(Black Text) then give them the other Factions ID and then once you save it and build it it should be fine! :)

34. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I was just wondering, in case I want to be that guy and steal a feature from WC3 where you have Heroes and actually use abilities on them may or may not have an inventory, how would that work? Any external 3rd party tools that could be used etc? Thanks in advance I will buy if I get the right answer or else I'd start from scratch on my own :)

Question 2. Plans on upgrades such as Weapon research and all melee units gain etc 5% more damage?
    I have not seen the package so I'm not aware how limited we are or if it's an inspector kinda framework :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  35. OussamaB

OussamaB

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This would be really helpful if future users face this kind of problem.

On another note. I would really appreciate it if you guys could rate and review the asset in the store!

A_Akkad likes this.
  36. OussamaB

OussamaB

Do you mean that you want to have special attacks for units? If so can you give an example?

Yes, it is planned. It will be available in the next update where I will be taking care more about upgrades.

37. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I guess I could give it a go on my own anyway, but research would be neat like you mentioned in the next update.
    Have you played Warcraft 3? Then there are Heroes & also basic units have abilities too, for example maybe a passive skill called "Leader Aura" It would give close units a 10% health bonus by default etc. You cloud say a basic MOBA, basic units may only have 1 skill and 1 passive or none. But they have skills basically, would that be hard to implement?
    Back to the Hero thing, the heroes has an inventory let's say 6 slots where they can have potions or some other items on the journeys :)
    Just look over the UI and you will get my point :)

38. OussamaB

OussamaB

The thing is that this is too specific and may not be worth making for the moment as there are more urgent stuff to add. However, I will look for a way to make easy for the developer to create this type of abilities. Thanks for taking the time and explaining!

MHolmstrom likes this.
  39. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

Thanks for the reply! I'll try to implement it myself.
    Quick final question, can we use our custom terrain or are we forced to use the provided map creator?
    Thanks in advance! :)

40. OussamaB

OussamaB

You can use your own terrain of course. But make sure you take this in consideration when doing so: http://soumidelrio.com/docs/unity-rts-engine/maps-terrain/

41. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi again, does that mean we're able to create hills, so long as we have the child object "flat terrain" under our new terrain.

Will the units also move over the uneven ground ?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  42. OussamaB

OussamaB

Yes, adding hills is possible. Units can also move on the uneven ground.
    If you encounter any problem or something is unclear please don't hesitate to let me know!

43. CPTEliteWarfare

CPTEliteWarfare

Should add where Buildings can be upgraded. I like Tier 1 , Tier 2, then Tier 3 and while those are upgrading their Prefabs change and they can build Other units. Or make it where the Civilian can be upgraded to a Better Civilian and unlocks other buildings that can be built.

44. OussamaB

OussamaB

I like both suggestions, thanks!

Just wanted to let you know the newest update is available on the asset store.

45. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I just bought the rts engine! I do see a lot of potential in future Development. I'm a 3d artist so I will have some trubbel adding things my Self. Could I suggest a roadmap maybe on the main post? I will look into making grouping working so you can select for exempel 6 units and keybind them Ctrl + 1 so that when you press 1 it will jump right to them, same goes for buildings to make it a high apm game where you can see who is a pro and who is casual, it also make it funnier with stratergies etc.
    With the roadmap I'd know if I have to implement it my self or just wait! :)

Another request would be formation but its not a have to, maybe only to make sure weaker units stand behind the warriors etc.

Intregration with other UNET assets are possible?

46. OussamaB

OussamaB

That is actually in the to-do list.

You are right, that will make things clearer and easier for me and the users. I will add a roadmap to the main post after the next update.

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now there are things that are more urgent to add. But I will keep this in mind of course.

Can PM me a list of the UNET assets that you're referring to?

MHolmstrom likes this.
  47. MHolmstrom

MHolmstrom

I was looking at:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (ResourceMgr.DroppingOff == false || (ResourceMgr.DroppingOff == true
    From here I want to enable a child object a satchel bag or lumber so it looks like it's carrying the resources to the drop-off building! From here I think it would be nice to not have the resources removed when you have collected let's say 4 lumber then you can target the unit to drop it off or start moving him around and he will still have them, I think I can simply change that behavior with:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ResourceMgr.TargetResource = null;
    Last question: How to I fetch the currently selected unit so I can enable the child object? I will disable an Axe but when he will harvest lumber it enables and so on, pickaxe you get the whole idea, I'm a sucker for visuals! :)

48. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

Hi, Great Kit! Left you a nice Review.
    5star.
    Just missing a few things I would like:

I would like a option to change it to a Command and Conquer (not the massacre that EA made C&C4 that s a MOBA not a RTS) style personally. I have always felt those games were a superior gaming exp over Blizzards and AoE.

Can I ask if you have this option added to the dev kit? Changing Game styles?
    Or explain how I could change this myself. I haven't jumping head first into this pool yet. So I haven't the faintest idea how yet.

49. OussamaB

OussamaB

- Enabling an object when the player is going to drop off resources can be easily done. Just send me your e-mail and invoice number and I will send you the modified code.
    - I didn't fully comprehend your second point about dropping off resources. When the drop-off mode is activated resources are not added automatically but units must go to the drop off buildings in order for the faction to used the collected resources. And if you stop a unit from collecting resource or stop him on the way to a drop off building, he will not loose what he collected and will drop them off as soon as he's ordered to collect any resource.

- This is quite a good idea. Added to my to-do list. However if you need this ASAP then please let me know in the e-mail and I will send you the modified code.

50. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello. Thanks for the great review!

Can you please specify the main things that need to be changed in the game style? So I can answer you correctly and see how easy/difficult it see to change to the game style you desire.