Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity player 5.5.0f3 window resize black border. Possible bug?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by NuhNuh, Feb 5, 2017.

1. NuhNuh

NuhNuh

Hello,

I believe I've found an intermittent bug in the Unity player (Windows platform) to do with resizeable windows. The bug is that you sometimes get a black border when you enlarge the window. It's as if the player does not always use the new size of the window.

It's very easy to recreate, as you need nothing but a blank Unity project! We are using Unity 5.5.0f3. Steps:

1) Create a new, blank Unity project.
    2) Go to File->Build Settings.
    3) "PC, Mac & Linux Standalone"->Player Settings.
    4) Tick the "Resizable Window" option.
    5) Build And Run.
    6) When the game runs, ensure you tick the "Windowed" option.

Start resizing the window to increase its size. When you end the resize operation (ie, when you release the LMB) you will find that most of the time the game's camera does not draw fully to the new window's size. Sometimes it does, but most of the time it doesn't, so this is an intermittent problem.

I've recorded a video that demonstrates the problem:

A blank project with no objects or scripts is enough to recreate the problem, although in the second half of the video I've added a timer to the game to show that it's running.

Has anyone else encountered this problem before? Is there a way around it? This is affecting our Unity project, but since an empty project is enough to repro it, it makes me think it might be a player bug.

It looks almost like Unity is not resizing its backbuffer in response to the window being resized. I can understand it not reallocating buffers, etc during the resize operations, but surely it should consistently handle the window's new size once the resize operation is complete. I would not expect Unity to only handle the new window's size occasionally.

Thanks for reading.

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That most definitely looks like a bug. Could you report it through the editor, by pressing Help -> Report a bug and tell me the bug case # you get in the email? The bug reporter will collect relevant information like exact Unity build, etc to make our lives easier when investigating it.

3. NuhNuh

NuhNuh

Hi Tautvydas and thanks for reading my message!

I've sent in the bug report, case ID is 878467.

One thing I've noticed (and I mention this in the bug report) is that it might depend on the GPU. I'm running Unity on a W10 install, but if I dual boot into Windows 7 (Unity is not installed there) and run the build exe, the problem still happens. If I copy the exe to an i3 laptop or a PC with NVidia GPU the problem does not occur. The problem is happening on a PC with a R9 290x GPU running Radeon driver version 16.12.2.

Tomorrow I will do a clean install of Windows 10 onto another HDD and check if the problem still happens there.

Problems that happen only on certain PCs are tricky to investigate! If the problem is somehow to do with this particular PC, I can always arrange some remote access via TeamViewer, should that option ever be needed by you guys.

Thanks again for your response.

4. NuhNuh

NuhNuh

I've updated the support ticket, but I might as well also mention here for the benefit of anyone else experiencing a similar problem. I tried a fresh install of Windows 10, and problem still happens when running the built exe, and that's running it without even installing any other software. Problem still happens even after allowing Windows Update to bring the install up to date.

I hope that by trying it on a fresh install it helps rule out interference from 3rd party applications.

5. nic01

nic01

I confirm this issue is also present while resizing browser windows on a win10 pro x64 machine (i7 7700hq /gtx 1050m /intel 630 / chrome Version 60.0.3112.90 (Official Build) (64-bit).Tried canary ,opera and firefox with same result(right and bottom columns breaking black).There are actually a lot of bug reports on the issue ,except that black border area fills up much faster on a browser than in unity.
    Till now i have found only ie 11 and edge to be reacting normally while resizing. Seems like a win10 side bug tho.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

This actually should be fixed in Unity 5.6. Are you still able to reproduce it?