Search Unity

Unity MP: What to use as a patcher?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MrLucid72, Jun 10, 2016.

1. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

I would love to see a patcher for Unity multiplayer - cloud builds are just for testing, right? It would be great to have sort of what VIsual Studio does: Debug / Release builds. Debug build = what cloud build does now. Release build = goes to Unity cloud build and updates their patcher-that-doesnt-exist-(yet?).

Alternately, what to use as a patcher, and how to handle Unity packaging with it?

Or are people updating AT the login screen, then asking them to restart the game?

Tips would be great ;D

2. Whippets

Whippets

I use a separate Unity project just as a patcher that can download eitehr asset-bundles or a new version of the game client. Seems to be the simplest method.

3. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

If you do that, you have to "install" the patcher rather than run standalone, right?

I was considering a standalone C# app

4. Whippets

Whippets

The way I have it is the patcher is the executable that the player runs, which ensures the game client is fully patched, then runs the game client. But a C# app would do the same job :)

MrLucid72 likes this.
  5. CitrusA

CitrusA

Hi!

For anyone interested in a patching system – we’re developing one, which is called PatchKit.

PatchKit is a CDN for games with a patching feature, where all the content is stored on our servers and binary diffs are calculated automatically. It’s also a drop-in solution, so it’s very simple to use.

You can find more info the thread over here:
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-patchkit-game-patcher-with-hosting-service.458017/

We’re currently in the beta stage and we will be very grateful for your feedback. Feel free to check it out, hope it will fit your needs.