Search Unity

Unity mmorpg Multiplayer game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by MayhemMaker, Nov 19, 2014.

1. RickyJack

RickyJack

Actually i came up with a unique way of travel to deal with something like this... At this point we are just looking at being able to setup the server the rest of the way with the environment and then sort out all the basic stuff like player ui's and npc's... Sure we could build short clips of the game and run around with our hands out and pants down hoping to solve the real issues... But i think it's better we struggle to get the real working model going before we go show boating anything... Plus having the server setup first seems to be the most important thing of all as it could end in reprogramming everything to it... Either way it all seems to be a entanglement of trial and error... Plus the casual backtracking... Haha we should of kept it 1 player but we feel the experience could be better as a multiplayer and invested tons of time into how models need built to cut back on the rendering end of the engine to increase performance by using low tris with either bump mapping or high poly bake on low poly... What a journey to this point it has been... We hurdle this and we will have us a decent game...

2. CarterG81

CarterG81

This is a very ignorant or naive comment. I won't even go into the details as to why, but suffice to say that I speak from experience to refer people against using Unity for any large or unique project because of many common (and uncommon) headaches, bugs, problems, and frustrations which result from Unity wanting it done Unity's way.

Your snarky attitude in response to a friendly post just gets you placed on ignore.
    I find this strange, as I actually was very adamant in this thread defending MMO-dream-devs. To say that I am "hating on it" is just insane given how supportive I have been in this thread.

Unity is good for making unity games. Step outside of what it wants you to do, and I can only question your decision in choosing Unity. The bigger the project, the more innovative the game, the more likely it will break out of what Unity likes.

That isn't to say that Unity can't do it. Obviously it can do whatever you'd like. The question is of efficiency and frustration. The "best" choice of tools for the job.

I can do the same using just C++, without all the bloat and tailored specifically to my project. So what is your point?

I think you missed mine. My point wasn't to dog on Unity, although it is flooded with weaknesses and problems that no rational person should ignore, seeing as how it also has an enormous amount of strengths as well. My point was to be honest. A lot of Unity's strengths are rarely talked about or flaunted, and many things which are considered strengths are actually in fact not. Likewise for a custom game engine. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but for a big 2D project which transcends what Unity likes you to do (which is very easy if your game is unique in any way) then I strongly suggest a custom solution.

Unity's biggest strength is its Asset Store. Without it, there would be literally no point in using it except for very specific types of games. I believe this is true, even if the fanboys want to swear to all that's holy that Unity alone saves you "so much time" and Unity is the best thing since sliced bread. When you're talking about development time and work efficiency, Unity suffers while a custom solution reigns supreme. Nothing is better than something created from scratch specifically designed to suit all the project's wants and needs. No tool is better than a tool built specifically for a unique task for a specific project. With that Asset Store though? It can save you a lot of time and effort. Depending on your game's needs and wants, that can be "a little" to what some would claim is "hundreds of hours".

Of course, the asset store can actually slow you down as well, although that is less likely. The frustration in learning some poorly documented assets and the time it takes to learn their nuances sometimes nullifies the benefit of saving yourself the frustration and hard work that results from a custom solution based on well documented that would do the same thing.

I find it strange that someone would respond negatively to someone sharing their opinion that for a MMO, Unity is probably not the best choice.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  3. RickyJack

RickyJack

So your just full of wind? Sorry couldn't but notice you say this after all that wind...

4. RickyJack

RickyJack

I find it strange that a fan boy is full of advice... Repost all your useful information that isn't winds of opinion and let's see how much help you have been... Your only fooling yourself... If i seem rude or snarky it's cause your just here to troll some opinionated nonsense that has nothing to do with the thread...

*thinks to self* I am bored... I think i should go on the unity forums today and share my opinions of why not to use it...

Why is your account still here again? Oh yeah the people at unity must be pretty tolerant and have faith in those that don't have faith in their product... ____________ <---- your wind here.... I am sure you got plenty of it... Frustration with software is one thing but to come on a products site forums and bash it is another...Just saying.... Grow up...

5. CarterG81

CarterG81

Nowhere did I say this...you literally made that quote up. looks like we have a troll here. reported.

If I had no experience in Unity, I wouldnt be posting here...

I was only trying to share my experiences and opinion to help others. No need to be so irrational and hostile simply because I am not a mindless unity fanboy. It is so strange that you have this insane belief that you have to either blindly support Unity as amazing, or else you only come on to the site to bash and "not support" the software. There is no in-between for you?

So yea, your troll fails. I can only assume you are either a big troll, have a poor grasp of the english language (and thus are very confused as to what is being said, misconstruing everything), or are just plain...well...no need to throw insults. We'll just leave it at that.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  6. CarterG81

CarterG81

Oh please...Something being possible and being worthwhile are two very different things.
    You'd have to be an idiot to think it's a good idea to force something that doesn't fit when there are better tools for the job.

Picking the right tools for the job is important. Forcing a tool just for the sake of proving it is possible is just futility. Talking as if you can simply "integrate the literal best technology" like it is worthwhile to do (rather than do it without Unity) is just misleading.

Also, Unity indeed has limitations. To pretend they don't exist, is just encouraging naivety. You might as well just tell everyone Unity + Easy = Crysis 3 + MMO.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  7. RickyJack

RickyJack

8. RickyJack

RickyJack

Stop trolling people... STOP MESSAGING ME! I DON"T CARE ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS OR REPORTING THREATS!

9. RickyJack

RickyJack

Just so you know... Unity uses a 3D environment with a fixed camera to produce 2D games... SO what you said stands completely TRUE! Just put a lid on it already and return back to these tutorials about the software... http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

10. BFGames

BFGames

Carter81 you really should relax instead of going all crazy on people.

11. Kenne-Brookes

Kenne-Brookes

Bro. Anyone and his team can create an MMO with hard work and effort.

CarterG81 likes this.
  12. Teila

Teila

It is why I have him on ignore. So easy peasy. :)

13. CarterG81

CarterG81

REALLY? Necroing a 7 month troll thread where trolls like Ricky & BFGames had their brains go haywire?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  14. CarterG81

CarterG81

Strange that the only people on the forum who ignore me are the worthless users who post everyday: always white noise content & often negative towards newbies...

Go figure. A bit disappointing about Tahlia though. I always tried giving her the benefit of the doubt, even when every post was just her blubbering about her children & how great of a mother she is.

Edit: Ah, I remember now. Talia raged at me when I pointed out it's wrong to jump on the newbie-hating bandwagon, after her very anti-newbie post.

These 'usuals' on the forum are so negative toward newbies...I guess because they gave up on their game long ago, or something akin to that... just sad...

Just calm down guys.
    Just treat newbies well & don't be pretentious toward others when you have no idea what you're talking about, and you'll be fine.
    Is that really so hard to do?

I will always stand against any users who troll or post negatively towards newbies. Ignored or not, I can't stand for anti-newbie BS. Be positive towards new users. It's easy...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  15. Cypherronin

Cypherronin

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I had to say thank you @CarterG81 You're posts have been incredibly helpful and very insightful!

CarterG81 likes this.
  16. CarterG81

CarterG81

I really appreciate hearing this. It is good to know that my desire to help others actually results in actionable helpfulness / encouragement.

I hope the best for you & your games!

17. jonkuze

jonkuze

mischa2k likes this.
  18. reefcrazed

reefcrazed

If one wanted a central server, one that you host yourself what is the best solution today? Kuoato just posted about uMMORG, I also know Photon has it's own with a 100 user limit for free and there is Forge networking I believe.

19. Kenne-Brookes

Kenne-Brookes

Photon is what I used to use for multiplayer. It was okay.

20. jonkuze

jonkuze

You don't need Photon for uMMORPG, it uses Unity Networking. All you need a Linux VPS for just $5.00 a month at https://www.digitalocean.com. Although keep in mind this is only good for testing development purposes. You may want to update your VPS or move to a physical server once you are ready to go live with your game.

21. MMOInteractiveRep

MMOInteractiveRep

I'd recommend looking into Atavism. Great server... 500 CCU for a 1 time license of $399 plus if you want the server side plugin code so you can add your own Unique features it's an additional $99.