Search Unity

Unity Jump Start - Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by TheLorax, Jul 19, 2009.

1. capcom

capcom

My pleasure.

2. Taytus

Taytus

Hey The Lorax, thanks man!.

I'm starting with Unity and these tutorials are AWESOME!, too bad I couldn't find a paypal button to buy you a beer for your hard work.

Again, thanks!!

3. sibzSangreal

sibzSangreal

Hello Great Tutorial Dude!!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  4. NRDP

NRDP

thank u so much for all your help with me and my fifth grade club for all your help and good tutorials you make things so much easier you're awesome!!! :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  5. Psygnosis

Psygnosis

The Lorax,

Much appreciated with the basics of scripting! I've learned much more from you than just viewing random videos on Youtube (was still lost). Keep it up!

6. Mankus007

Mankus007

Love the Tutorials , you are great. :D

Thank for sharing. I want that you make more tutorials but mainly for javascripts. :)

EDIT :- Those Post 1 is telling that how much people love your tutorials , as they just want to thank you and this is there first post.

Peoples who got 1st Post, because after some time the post will change. (may be)

Robobobo84 , sibzSangreal, NRDP, Upuaut, my40789, Psygnosis Mankus007.

There are total 7 in this page, :D Feel the Difference.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  7. Dryson

Dryson

I am interested in some coding. Where should I start when building a script that will refuel a ship when it lands on a pad? Could the same code that is used for adding a score to the players game be used?

Basically if the pad adds a score to the GUI then it should be able to be tweeked that when the ship lands on the pad that it would a score (a certain amount of fuel back to the players ship)

Is this thinking correct?

8. ZenDelta

ZenDelta

I know I am replaying to a post made in 2009, but i'm wondering, are you going to make new tutorials? You talked about it in video 4 :)

9. Ajay12

Ajay12

Anyone please help me! In the new version of untiy, 4 I cannot create the I cannot create the particle like in the video. It just gives me the option to select the start colour.Somebody please help

10. tasty ugali

tasty ugali

brilliant!!! loved em!!

when are the rest of the tutorials coming out?

11. orcinus

orcinus

Never. Obviously. Those were made in 2009. Now 4 years later, I don't think part 2 will ever be made.

12. Chris.Arney

Chris.Arney

I'm having a baffling issue. When I try to slow down the player from framerate to realtime using Time.deltaTime, the player either doesn't move, or jumps left/right once, then doesn't move again. I switch back to not using the Time.deltaTime, and the player moves freely but way too fast. Any ideas? Has something changed with Time.deltaTime since the tut was written?

I know this is an ancient thread, but this tut seemed like a great place to start. Thanks for going to the trouble to create it!

13. Chris.Arney

Chris.Arney

I just answered my own question, and am sharing it for anyone else who runs into the same issue. Unity wouldn't let me use the "amtToMove" variable without declaring it, and I declared it an int. Time.deltaTime is a float. For the math to work out better, I just needed to declare "amtToMove" as a float instead of an int. Problem solved!

14. MythN7

MythN7

I just discovered unity a week before 4.1.4 was released, and am finding most of the tutorials i'm seeking are from early ver 3 or even 2. so they either don't work or have been made way simpler inside the engine as improvements.
    are you finding this project is flowing smooth with the current engine script?

15. BushMackel

BushMackel

So I just upgraded to 4.1.5f, (am a complete beginner) and am finding that I've had to make some adjustments to get things going per the video....

1) Even though I don't think this is necessarily an issue with Unity, (I wouldn't know since I didn't use prior versions) but I had to spend some time rearranging my Layout to be like the videos.

2) The Directional Light object seemed to be a bit different too (but I could be wrong there).

3) Biggest thing (so far) was the first part of the script. Like the other poster said, I had to declare the variable, AND had to declare it as a float to get the cube to start moving. I was also getting some compiler error about libraries used or something and I had to delete a reference to it in the left most window (sorry I'm being very descriptive here).

I think after I finish this lesson I might completely remove Unity from my computer, and then re-install the latest version and try and keep track of the changes. Not only to further ingrain these concepts in my own mind but also to help others coming after.

16. pedrevans

pedrevans

Still relevant after all these years. Very enjoyable, well structured, well paced and well delivered tutorial, learned a lot.

17. athgen113

athgen113