Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity iOS and Android Basic licenses FREE until April 8th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanielQuick, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkben

darkben

I now love UT forever. To think, last month I got Daz Studio 4 Pro free! I hope it's 3DS Max or something awesome in April! ;)

2. NomadKing

NomadKing

Once you registered, click the Upgrade option on the store page instead. You can enter your pro license there, then select the iOS and Andriod basic addons :)

3. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

lol, that would be cool

4. deps

deps

The upgrade page at https://store.unity3d.com/licenses says that I have Unity and the iOS and Android addons, but I cannot build ios or android versions of my games because Unity tells me I need a license.
    And inside Unity it says I have a different serial than what that page says.
    And reactivating Unity tells me that the serial number is not valid.

Anyone know of a quick way to fix this so I can take advantage of this wonderful offer? :)

5. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Thanks NomadKing! That's what I was looking for.

6. orb

orb

Instead of selecting, read the line of text above the choices. It asks you to select a version or upgrade, where the word "upgrade" is a link.

EDIT: Doh! Stale page! Beaten by 19 minutes!

7. goldbug

goldbug

Words cannot express how thankful I am to Unity in this early Christmas day.

8. peter_on

peter_on

Thank you unity team, u make my day!
    :D

9. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Well, I stopped by bestbuy in th way home and got me a Nook color for 180 (after tax.) Store unit was sluggish like hell, let's see if this unit is equally junky. For now just giving it a full charge before I start messing with it.

Anyone here has an android game listed in the nook store I can use to test drive some unity performance?

Amazon still has not shipped my Galaxy Player, don't think it will make it by Saturday. Talking of galaxies: I play tested the Galaxy Note in the store.... I thought that was supposed to be a fast device... All scrolling everywhere was extremely jerky.

10. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

OK I been playing with the nook... I'm actually impressed. For 169, its actually an impressive piece of hardware, dollar to dollar. It's no iPad, but I'd say it may make a great browser for any household without enough money to afford an iPad. Got to admit also, it has a cool feel to be able to "hug" the thing with one hand by wrapping your fingers all around the thing.

11. vdek

vdek

I have a rooted nook tablet as my "tablet" device, it's really nice. It actually has a very similar CPU and GPU to the iPad2.

12. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

It could have fooled me... so far the performance feels slightly inferior to my iPad 1. May be the OS, still have not attempted any games.

BTW I'm seriously disappointed that the thing has no Netflix or Hulu. Those are two killer apps for the tablet world, I think any tablet that wants to go far needs one or the other, but preferably both. Yea, I know it's available on the Nook Tablet, but this version should be able to run them, and the price makes it a Kindle Fire killer. That extra boost would take this far, I think.

13. Vert

Vert

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! I was thinking about getting a Droid Basic License sometime this year and now is the time! I am so excited! This is an awesome present from UT! Time for me to reconsider the mobile game ideas I had and actually pick one and make it!

14. QFS

QFS

I followed the instructions, I click the reactivate button, and Unity just hangs and nothing happens... then after about a minute Unity.exe becomes non-responsive.

Any ideas?

15. vdek

vdek

The Nook Color is rather weak, the Nook Tablet is the one that has the awesomesauce hardware :p

16. DrPygameNewb

DrPygameNewb

I got to download this before the period ends. Now I need to find tutorials on how to code iOS controls.

17. darkben

darkben

Do you have to a activate it before April 8th? I mean, I have the code now...

18. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

My guess would be that as long as it's on your account you're safe.

19. darkben

darkben

Cool.

20. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

don't take my word for it though. I would email the sales department just to make sure.

21. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Yep... Nook Color is very weak unless you root it and toss one of the ROMs out there onto it. The Nook Tablet is the one that's newer and more akin to a Kindle Fire spec-wise.

22. J`E`K`O

J`E`K`O

This is a great present from Unity. My colleague accidentally saw the offer last night and we managed to get the keys after loads of 500 errors. And we were about to buy those licenses soon. Once I got home, I've got the licenses on my personal computer as well, this time without any troubles.

Today is my 25th birthday, so Thank You Unity for the great present! :)

23. jorjdboss

jorjdboss

This might be too soon to ask but will this key work for future versions of Unity? I know that nobody can answer that but, at least speculate. I hope it works on v4.x

24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

No the licences are for 3.X Not 4.X

25. ivanzu

ivanzu

Thanks for the license! I wish that there are more companies like unity.

26. hs1S

hs1S

Ok, I bought Android basic 5 days ago, and I don't care because UT is doing a really nice work here and they deserved that money... Anyway this is awesome news, hope now I can learn and maybe some day teach both, Android and iOS.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  27. SPIKY

SPIKY

Can I 'buy' the free iOS and Android licences now, and activate them even AFTER april 8th? Or can the serials only be activated within the given april 8th timeframe?

I don't have an apple device yet, planning on buying it when the macbook update comes along...

28. Martin-E

Martin-E

Unity Technologies

You don't have to activate it before april 8th. :)

29. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

if anyone else (who purchased mobile basic in the last 30 days) received the email with their rebate coupons? If so, does it worked?

Mine is not working, shop says "rebate code not found"... Just wrote them to ask that but I'm curious if it's just me...

30. drewradley

drewradley

I've not tried mine yet. Going to wait until all the chaos with the free sale is over with.

31. hs1S

hs1S

I will try it later this year just in case unity 4.0 android basic will not be free.

32. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

drewradley TimViana, thanks for the input...

Actually you don't have to use/cash it to try it, I'm also planning to use mine later this year...

You may just enter the code at the sore and when you apply it, prices should change to reflect your discount... It' wont be used until you check out...

I just wanted to see if it's working but apparently it's not, at least not yet... Well, I'm still waiting for their reply...

33. timetopat1

timetopat1

How strict is the 30 day period? I have bought unity android about 35 days ago and I have used the free licence for the added ios support. I have not dealt with unity technologies refund policy so I am unsure.

34. deps

deps

Update on my little issue with the serial number not being a valid one: It worked now. Got an answer for my support ticket that told me to wait a few hours. It worked just fine now. Can't wait to get home from work for some serious Android/iOS game hacking! :)

35. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Just tried it again and now it worked... But it's not what I expected... Discount is good for one item only...

36. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Wow, just found out about this. Awesome news, thanks Unity! .. have been wanting to get an iOs license for ages but could not afford it. Now I can get something onto iPod/Pad/Phone!

Question .... do you have to pay the $100 apple developer fee in order to create and test iOs apps on an actual iPod/iPad, or do you only pay that fee when it comes time to submit to the App Store?

37. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

You need to pay to get the certificates that allow you to test in the device.

I think if the device is jail broken you may be able to test without Apple's certificates but I have not attempted that. Jailbreaks can sometimes introduce odd bugs to apps and may add complexity to debugging.

38. darkben

darkben

Oh? You can get both for free with the offer.

39. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes.

Also it's against the developer agreement.

--Eric

40. lmbarns

lmbarns

What do you have to have to use the iOS verson? A $100 license through apple? An iOS device? Does development have to be on an iOS computer or you just have to own one and can then develop on PC?

I added the licenses to my account but could only port my stuff to android and I vaguely remember some requirement for needing a mac. My license shows both versions were added.

Looking at Unity iOS Publishing page, it mentions:
    So, somewhere I do have an ancient mac laptop at least 8 years old, somewhere at my house. But I would like to develop on my desktop PC. Is that not possible? Or can you install mac's OS on a PC as a dual boot or virtual machine??

41. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Awesome

42. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

You have do it in OSX, on snow leopard or later, with an intel processor. and 8 year old mac probably has isn't intel based.

You can build a hackintosh or run OSX in vmware, but it's against the EULA (though I'm not sure they'd have any way of knowing, and I have read stories of people having successful app store releases through virtualization).

43. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I dont think an 8 year old mac will run Snow Leopard, but not sure.

Installing MacOSX on a PC is possible, but not generally easy. It's a hack, just google up hackintosh and you may find a bunch of tutorials and hardware compatiblity lists.

From your Windows install you will not be able to "develop" for iOS but you can develop for Android, that should cover 90% of the groundwork and just minor tweaks may be needed when you jump into a mac to do the iOS builds.

44. GiusCo

GiusCo

Anyone following media insider reaction to this move by UT? It is a shocking offer and would like debating pros cons.

45. Mikie

Mikie

When the Pro trial runs out will the Android and ISO still work?

46. George Foot

George Foot

GiusCo, what are the cons that need debating?

47. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

Well I'd just like to pop in and say thanks to UT for this offer!

I was tempted about a month ago to buy the Android Pro license since I have a Xoom and wanted to get some play around developing for Android but decided to wait since I don't even have my game at any finalized state enough to justify it!

This will allow me to at least get my feet wet developing for my Xoom - and may even spark me into developing simpler games that I can >actually finish< (LOL) and get more experience under my belt, instead of my usual practice to bite off more than I can chew which is definitely the case with my game of games that I'm currently trying to bring to fruition! :)

I'm wondering, I didn't see the Kindle Fire mentioned in the compat list (plus I skipped to the end here to give my thanks) - is the KF currently supported?

I'd be nice if I could also target that since that's what the Wifey uses - I'd be nice to write some cutesy games for her to play for practice!

Thanks again so much UT for offering this to your customers! :cool:

-Will

48. GiusCo

GiusCo

Well, no cons from a user perspective for sure!

I mean, what's happening to mobile arena if Unity is going free for one month? This sort of offer cannot be a simple stunt, it seems more a crisis announcement to me... is mobile arena just flooded and not worth anymore, business speaking?

Basic programming skills are so cheap and inflated, nowadays... so is App Store, very few players are really making money out of it: big studios and the exceptional, lucky (and smart) lottery winners as "The Lost City" made with Corona SDK, for which such a big tool like Unity is not needed at all.

I suspect UT is simply letting mobile segment to the dogs, while concentrating on other platforms (and media), where level is higher, money is less dispersed and much easier to attract.

49. GiusCo

GiusCo

edit: double post

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  50. lmbarns

lmbarns

Can't really think of any cons....

I was surprised to see on gamedev at least one of the moderators mentioned how he'd been eyeing the android license and was excited to get it for free...normally those guys are very elitist and negative towards unity (they promote xna and low level coding).

Pro's: Putting mobile tools in thousands of people's hands today ensures the next 12 months will be filled with mobile unity games. When the price goes back to normal, Unity will make a killing as the seed they're planting right now grows awareness/interest and new customers flock to buy their own copies at regular price.

Also there is competition, there are other frameworks for mobiles, marmalade comes to mind or what Unity uses with monodroid, I was looking around myself (and I'm a huge fan of unity) for alternatives on mobiles because I couldn't afford Unity's licenses for my own learning experience (not making money). I was considering buying a student version but this free offer definitely seals the deal for what engine I'll be working with going forward.

Unity is shoring up their market share while raising the bar once again for the industry.

Unity is definitely starting a revolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.