Search Unity

Unity iOS and Android Basic licenses FREE until April 8th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanielQuick, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metron

Metron

Thanks Unity.. update my teams license... $1200... thanks :)

2. msl_manni

msl_manni

Thanks Unity. Would use it at a much later date though. Cheers.

3. Quietus2

Quietus2

Meh, this is nothing next to the firestorm that erupted a few years back when they made Unity Indie free when they released 2.5.

I think it's great news and will do much to increase Unity's ever growing penetration.

4. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

MOST AWESOME MOVE EVER BY UT !

Really? I was wondering about that. I thought we the PRO customers would be left out because its against the TOS ....
    So I am allow to use my current Unity Pro, with Unity iOS Pro license, AND THEN ADD Android Basic License on top???
    Can someone verify this?
    If I am allow to do that, I most definitely will want to upgrade to full Android Pro license.

Also, how much does it cost to upgrade from Android Basic to Android Pro?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. Ocid

Ocid

I think some people are a little self entitled in this thread.

Especially Titanty. Didn't you also say in another thread you were going to live off the dole until you made it as a game dev?

Unity doesn't owe you anything from doing this promotion especially not full pro licenses because you spent $400 on a license that they're now giving away for a month. As other people have pointed out what about you now using Unity Indie when it was once a paid engine. Guessing its not worthless to you?

If you were to hang around waiting on companies doing deals/promotion/giveaways/whatever you'd very rarely buy anything. If you weren't ready to buy the Android license why did you? You could have put it away and waited till you were ready to make full use of it.

6. joshimoo

joshimoo

1500$
    -400$
    = 1100$

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's not.

I already did. If you have Pro, buying iOS/Android Basic has never been an issue. The issue is that you can't buy iOS/Android Pro if you don't have Unity Pro.

--Eric

8. henry96

henry96

I'm so excited to hear about this fantastic news. I always wanted to get a hand on this licenses. Now I finally got it. And the best part is it's free. Thanks you Unity!!!

Oh, well, I was wondering is it ok if I activate this license on the 2nd computer. (I'm planning to get a new one)

Unity is the best!!!

9. npsf3000

npsf3000

Titany. Look dude, I know you're just 16 but please, for all that is good, hit puberty already! We're all waiting desperately for you to grow some balls.

Regards,

Bleeding Ears.

10. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Excellent excellent! I am really excited to try out Android Basic, and having the option to upgrade to PRO license for $400 less! That's quite a bit of saving (26% off!) even before Christmas (which they sometimes run another promotional sale which means even further reduction!)! :D

11. drewradley

drewradley

Has anyone who bought it in the past 30 days gotten this refund yet? All I've seen about it is a tweet that said we would receive an email within 24 hours and nothing about a refund. Is there information I am missing somewhere? As far as I know they are just going to email to mock us. :)

12. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Nope, nothing yet... I'm also waiting for it myself...

Even tough it sounds like it, I'm not sure if it'll be an refund. But as long as it worth the full price I've paid (extra discount for pro upgrades, store credit, etc.) I should be OK...

Anyway, we'll see it soon... :)

13. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

Considering chances are good 4.x will hit before end of 2012, better get whatever upgrades you want for 3.x now and save money for the 3.x -> 4.x upgrade.

And before anyone asks; no it's no 100% certain but there is a lot that is being done in terms of new functionalities in the last year. It would make sense to keep it for 4.x in terms of business plan. (ex; http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...echnologies-opens-canadian-office-1566590.htm )

14. J_P_

J_P_

I have Unity Pro and iOS Pro -- can I get the Android basic with this deal? How will the license work? Do I just add the new serial on top of my existing one? How do I make sure I'm not overwriting my existing license?

15. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

JTown, I’m the same case. You can upgrade your license. Go to the page, select upgrade and you will be asked to log in. You will have to enter your current license serial number and then you can proceed with the upgrade.

As far as functionality goes, you will have some limitations while exporting to Android, main highlights off the top of my head is no code-stripping, no custom splash screen, and no video playback (although many media plugins offer better video playback anyways.) These features will still work exporting to iOS but not for Android.

16. J_P_

J_P_

Thanks! Upgrade page is confusing. I logged in and was worried when I didn't see any of my past purchases listed. Didn't know I had to enter my existing license first.

17. Ebkac

Ebkac

Big thanks to a great company who knows how to support their users. I'm no where near ready to jump to iOS yet but I will be in a few months. Now I'll be good to go when I get there.

18. redmotion

redmotion

Trying to buy Android and iOS basic and I randomly get either to the login page or enter billing info page then I get a lovely:

"500 - Internal Server Error" message.

Guess it's still a busy store! (Or I'm in the wrong country...)

EDIT: Lucky for me it's free - I just got double the licenses I ordered...

19. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Mail just arrived, it's not an refund option but a rebate coupon for a discount on the next purchase (good for Dec 31st 2012)...

20. VeraxOdium

VeraxOdium

Anyone else get an e-mail with rebate? I haven't gotten mine, just bought Android Basic 2 weeks ago, hah.

21. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

OH MY GAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Sytto

Sytto

i just bought unity android 2 months ago, anyway they deserve the money but im poor lol, i've unity android + ios now, thanks unity team, i hope they are lifetime licenses :p

23. ZJP

ZJP

24. FusionGames

FusionGames

Ahh this is so FREAKING AWESOME!!! Finally got my Android and iOS licenses! Now I don't have to learn another whole engine to make that app I had in mind...thank you so much UT! You guys are the best!

25. drewradley

drewradley

It's pretty much what I suspected. Means I can can buy Unity Pro in April instead of May.

26. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

*server overload*

*tries again in 2 hours*

*server overload*

*tries again next day*

*server overload*

Kill me now :'(

27. ZJP

ZJP

Pang !!!!......

28. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I've got the mail but I'm unable the check the offer yet, receiving "Rebate code not found" error when applied... I guess codes are not in the system yet or server load causing that...

29. AprendaGames

AprendaGames

Wow, this is really exciting news. Thanks, Unity!!!

30. MABManZ

MABManZ

<- In the "bought Unity Android 35 days ago and am disgruntled" camp

At least I can get iOS for free....sigh

31. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

I've been trying to get my Unity ioS and Android since yesterday...but everytime the server overloads.Hmm,but there's plenty of this 'til April 8th.

Thanks Unity!

32. Reahreic

Reahreic

WOAH, +1 unity, as soon as i have the capital saved up i will be purchasing pro versions to say thanks for this break you have given us.

33. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

I tried in the dead of the night last night and got the two licenses through... (3:30-4am Eastern). :) You might want to try around 0800-0900 GMT, hopefully you'd get through then.

34. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I got a friend to give me some :) because they had duplicates. Thanks anyway. Feels so good to have $800 worth of licenses for free! *Starts to learn unity*

35. drewradley

drewradley

Better to get your own really. I imagine it is still non-transferable.

36. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

They just got some off the website and gave the serials to me, no biggie really.

37. Endgame

Endgame

As my game started to approach beta, I knew I would be purchasing unity iOS within the next 2 months. (and a mac / ipod to build/test on) Thanks so much Unity, I recieved my keys last night. You couldn't have timed this promotion better! (some of you who recently purchased will probably disagree with that)

38. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

There is a biggie, really. The codes are attached to an email address, name and physical address in an internal database. As far as Unity cares, you don't own a license. The key is not proof of ownership, just as having a copy of a car's key is not proof of ownership of that car.

Keep trying, get yourself the code. You have a month to get it but don’t lay on that "no biggie" leg unless you want to trip.

39. J_P_

J_P_

At no extra cost, you could have legitimate ownership (and ability to upgrade later). :)

40. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

I didn't know it worked like that, thanks for the information. Ill try later tonight then.

EDIT: Got my own :)

41. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Whenever I try to go to the store, all of the "add features" are grayed out and I can't select Android or iOS. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this just UT's way of dealing with the overload on their servers, or am I missing something?

42. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

select unity first, then you can select them

43. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

You have to select Unity Free or Unity Pro first, then you can choose the mobile licenses.

44. bug5532

bug5532

What the hell, spent $960 on this after Tax in the last few months, and now its free?? Not happy...

45. degeneration

degeneration

I'm running a educational pro licence on 3.4.1 and can't upgrade to 3.5 as we are running 3.4.1 in the labs we can't upgrade the lab machines until the academic year is finished.

The download is for 3.5 so is there anyway to install Android and iOS basic for 3.4.1 using this new serial code without disrupting my Pro 3.4.1 install?

46. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

You do not have to download anything. You receive the license key via email, open Unity, and enter the serial to unlock those export features.

For educational licenses I believe you have to contact Studica with the license key.

47. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Thanks guys! I'm still a bit confused though. I have Unity Pro. So I can select Unity free to get the add feature options to show up and select them. However, will this effect my current license? Do I need to install Unity free too, and use that with the free Android and iOS add-ons? Or can I just use the Android and iOS free with my Unity Pro version? I just want to make sure I install everything correctly and don't mess up my current license.

48. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Dele - having a similar issue. I own Unity Pro but I cannot add these two free add-ons. Anyone have the steps at the store that work? I add my license number but it never shows up, but if I add it, it states it has already been added.

NM - I did not have my 2.x to 3.x upgrade key in the system.

49. lmbarns

lmbarns

I was having trouble this morning at home but had no problem at work.

On the store page where everything is "grayed out" you have to select/click which version of Unity you're using, either free or pro.

Once you click Free or Pro at the top, it then "un-gray's" the entries below. Then after you confirm the order you get an email with your license keys.

50. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

If I select Unity Pro (which I'm using) then it wants me to pay $1500 for another copy. So I have to select Unity free to get the add-ons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.