Search Unity

Unity iOS and Android Basic licenses FREE until April 8th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanielQuick, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Have you tried telling Unity?

2. Running Pixel

Running Pixel

having bought both Unity iOS and Android Basic licenses a couple of months ago may I hope in a sort of refund?
    Something like a new Basic license where I have access to some features of the Pro or a strong discount in the PRO license (hoping that they don't give it for free after few days...)

3. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Email sales@unity3d.com. They may give you a good deal.

4. StormGamer

StormGamer

anyone else keeps getting internal server error while trying to get free license?

5. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Me. At least we have until april.

6. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Yup. Imagine how many people are rushing to get they hands on the licenses. It's overloading the Unity Store's servers.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  7. Esila

Esila

"500 - Internal Server Error", store.unity3d.com link is not available. ????

8. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

yup yup, refresh, now let's all take turns :p

9. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Woohoo! Purchased and activated! Although I'm wondering if I need one for my second computer. I'll have to email them.

10. drewradley

drewradley

Your license allows you to have it on two computers just so long as you don't run them both simultaneously. But with it free now, why not get another one or three?

11. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

whats your secret :)

12. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Oh ok, cool. I read the license wrong obviously. I have to get a mac for school, but the sale will be over by then. That's a relief I can use the same license on two computers.

13. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

A combination of a hell of a lot of patience and the good old fashion refresh button! Hehe.

14. ArenMook

ArenMook

You guys realize that this is only temporary, right? It's not permanent. The license you're getting now will expire on the 8th, just like it would if you have gone Pro for a month.

15. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Are you sure?

16. ArenMook

ArenMook

17. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Pretty sure you are wrong. Some proof?

18. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

I got the main store page loaded earlier and it didn't look that way, nor does the twitter mention that. What makes you think it is only a trial?

EDIT Also why would they be refunding recent purchasers if that were the case?

19. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

Can you provide a link to your source? From the wording in Unity's Twitter/Facebook it sounds permanent.

20. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think you are mistaken.

Im still very pissed social status is rather important to me eg. i only respect people(on these forums) if i know they have made something.

Someone said that is it pocket money? it is but i doubt that my employer has anything to do with the fact that it is my money.

21. AdamOwen

AdamOwen

That's not what Unity Tech are saying on Twitter - https://twitter.com/#!/unity3d

Why else would they say up to an $800 saving? The licenses aren't $400 each a month.

22. ArenMook

ArenMook

Hmm. Well that's a strange move on their part, but alright then.

Nevermind!

23. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

If social status is important to you, try writing in ways that are eligible. You are certainly improving (I remember when I saw one of your posts a few months ago), however you worded almost every sentence in your post wrong.

As to the money coming from allowance. You are quite right, no one will care. Its not about that. Its about the quality of the product you are making.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  24. drewradley

drewradley

Pretty sure that is not the word you want to use to chastise his writing skills.

25. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

You are right. I meant legible.

26. drewradley

drewradley

Ya know if you weren't criticizing his writing, I'd let this pass, but I'm pretty sure "legible" only refers to whether or not it can be read, not if it can be understood and is usually applied to handwriting since type is perfectly legible. What you probably mean is unintelligible or even incomprehensible, but probably not legible.

:)

27. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Right you are again lol.

28. vdek

vdek

29. drewradley

drewradley

Tha'ts me $100,000 edumacation pute two gude werk!

30. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Errr my hand writing is not realy legible eather :)

i sent Unity an email expressing my views:

31. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Now why can't you write like that on the forums ;).

If that doesn't give you a refund (or other compensation of some sorts), then nothing really will. My guess is that they are going to respond to you saying that if you bought Unity within the past 30 days etc. etc. and if you didn't well, you are just unfortunate. But I wish you luck all the same.

32. Martin-E

Martin-E

Unity Technologies

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

We managed to fix the issue with the store server, and it's back in business!

33. orb

orb

34. AdamOwen

AdamOwen

Sorry mate but that's life sometimes, I understand your situation, been there, sucks. A few years ago I bought an HDTV for around £1,250, a few weeks later it was there for £699. What can you do? I can't go up to the sales desk and complain, I felt the TV was worth the price I paid for it, despite what the current price was.

It's the same here. You're confusing worth with cost. The mobile licenses are temporarily free, but what are they worth to you? Personally, they'll be worth tens of thousands of dollars, even more. This is the saving I'd make by not having to build a 3D engine from the ground up and having such an awesome community around me who use the same product.

You also already have something that money CAN buy, financial motivation. Yes the licenses are free now but I expect a very small percentage of people who download it will actually finish something, let alone make money from it. You have a huge incentive (putting your own money into a product does that) to actually create, and profit from, your games and I'd say that alone is worth the entry fee.

I hope something happens to make you feel better soon but I wouldn't get too hung up over it, you felt that $400 was worth your investment, the current price shouldn't affect that.

35. Amon

Amon

Just managed to get mine ordered and activated. Testing some android stuff now. :)

36. niosop2

niosop2

I have a Unity Pro license, but the page won't allow me to upgrade to add them. It does say that my license is associated with my account. I have to select either pro or basic, and if I add pro then it's $1500. Any Unity Pro license holders been able to add iOS/Android basic to their license?

37. bigdaddio

bigdaddio

Wow lots of bitter people in this thread! You paid for whatever you got when you did and at that time it was worth it to you. If that was yesterday then I feel sad but, overall the company doesn't owe you anything. I believe I purchased iOS on some sort of deal where it was like $300. When 3.0 was in beta I believe. I also think I got some incentive to purchase Android when I did.

Next time I get a knockoff on pro I am going for it.

38. Amon

Amon

Did you go via the upgrade route, niosop? Use the upgrade link and it will let you add them, that's what I did.

39. niosop2

niosop2

My license isn't showing in the panel beneath the "Upgrade and Update" text (although the 2 new Unity free ones that I won't use are). But when I try and add my license via the box, it says "License is already assigned to your account"

Guess it's just me then.

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out. Was using an old license that was no longer valid because I had added asset server to mine. Seems to be working fine now.

40. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

The crazything is I just thought that Unity was looking a little expensive in comparison to UDK for an Indie dev, since you can go IOS with UDK for only 100$. As soon as I thought this I saw this news...

41. HolBol

HolBol

You can't use the basic packages with pro. That's against their T&C.

42. Trackpants

Trackpants

UDK is cheaper because UDK takes huge royalties from your product for as long as you are using UDK. It's absolutely ridiculous

43. keely

keely

Asset Store devs are joining the party. Major sale movement stirring up. Please politely put friendly pressure on your favorite dev to join this :)

Unity Asset Store Mobile Madness sale

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Not true. It's definitely allowed and is specifically an option in the store.

--Eric

45. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

you're thinking free.

46. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

This is great news, top marks for Unity again.

Can't believe there are people complaining. I can understand if you bought it within a few days, but then they are offering refunds in those cases from what i've read. You can't really ask for more than that.

Honestly the behaviour of Unity Tech towards their community is unbelievable brilliant compared to most companies. Most other companies I've bought software from will screw you over without hesitation. In my opinion UT go out of their way for both their paid customers and the community.

47. tnaseem

tnaseem

I have Unity Pro iOS Pro, and have managed to add Android Basic. Hit the 'Upgrade' button at the top of the page, enter your licence data, and you'll be presented with some options, one of which is Android Basic (for free) (In your case it will be iOS Android basic). You then have to reactivate Unity (instructions in the email they send to you).

Worked without issue for me. So, now I have Unity Pro, iOS Pro and Android Basic :)

48. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Yep, that states it's not a trial, but rather a 100% discount. Nice.

Agreed, but since I was about to be buying them... I can't complain :).

49. goat

goat

Also, I got free licenses (didn't really need the second set but it is a convenience for my third computer) and compared the upgrade costs against my paid licenses and it is $1100 a license for the U3 license or the R3 license so you can't complain about that.

50. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Well most indie devs are too negative( myself included) to think they will ever get over 50K in sales . But UDK games are generally larger in scope anyway, , like if my game makes 10k I'm satisfied , but If i was making some big ole FPS in UDK and me and my team only make 10k, thats pretty lame .

Anyway, thanks Unity, for making a SDK normal people can use .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.