Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity iOS and Android Basic licenses FREE until April 8th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanielQuick, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morning

Morning

Ooh I wonder what 4.0 has on the table. A sneaky at GDC please?

2. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Its Unity's product and they can do whatever they want with it. If you release a game on the app store for 99 cents, should you not be allowed to put it free for a week to market it?

Don't get me wrong, it always sucks when timing for purchase is bad, but that's life. You win some, you lose some.

3. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Not all 16 year olds are extremely vulgar and loud when expressing distaste. I'm slightly upset because I just bought iOS back in late august, but am glad to have the opportunity to develop for android for only $50 (developer license). I'm 16 and I'm more bothered by the store not responding and giving me a 500 error than the having paid for an iOS license, but I'm not getting too worked up about it. $400 is how much the license is worth and would gladly pay that again.

4. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

People develop their logic centres differently I guess. Its all about the life experiences.

5. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

So you want a $1100 waver as compensation for the $400 you were not robed off?

Lets be honest: this stuff happens all the time in many places at many levels. Unity Basic free that you use now (alongside Android Basic) used to also be paid. Imagine where would you be standing right now had they not ever made Unity Basic a free product.

Instead of wasting energy worrying about this, you should try to get some extra licenses for friends that may be able to team up with you (or future friends.)

6. Amon

Amon

lol!

7. seanlloydbooth

seanlloydbooth

Is this definite? I'm chuffed we can now mess about with android development for free, but since we're definitely going to buy iOS Pro in the future, it'd be great to think of the $400 we spent a few months back as a "deposit", of sorts.

8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Thank god my birthday was this past weekend... now if i could just get it downloaded :)

9. Redbeer

Redbeer

Well I paid for iOS basic, and an upgrade fee as well, probably $700 or so total, but I'm not upset.
    I'd probably be upset if I bought one or both of these license a month or two ago, but overall, I think it's a nice incentive for people to try it out.

I am, however, interested to see what the future brings. Word is iOS 6 is coming, so will the software be updated to work with that, or will that be rolled into some sort of 4.0 paid upgrade?

Also, does Unity see Leadwerks (which is slated for sometime this year) and others (the mythical Shiva update) knocking on the door soon, so they're trying to gain support and an increased user base before that happens?

I'm always curious to hear what the true motivation is, but I know I'll never find out.

10. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

11. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Oh yes the 2.75 x of what i spent is so much more then the infinite amount of times more then the differance of $0.00 to $400.00.

Then give something, im happy with a refund or a flash licence once it is relesed :)

12. drewradley

drewradley

That's good. Unless, of course, they are emailing to taunt me for not being in the know about this 13 days ago when I bought mine.

13. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

You are missing the point that they are not obligated to give you ANYTHING.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

15. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

I've purchased mine 7 days ago... But that sounds like an refund. If so, I'll make lot of asset store developers happy and save some it for PRO upgrades...

I believe they did something similar (refund for going free) back in 2009...

16. taumel

taumel

60MB, give me a break.

17. drewradley

drewradley

My girlfriend suspects they are going to arrange to have someone come to my house and kick me in the shins and laugh at me. :)

18. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

if they dont then they can forget about me ever buying a pro licence, if my game goes well ill convert it to UDK? no way would i spend like $7000 on licences if they could just turn around and give it away for free.

Actualy though Hippo just made a thread asking if they will recive the $400 off, if they dont then im ok with the freeness :) i belive they wont get $400 off as im sure unity wouldent forget us basic users.

19. maglat

maglat

Many thanks Unity Team. Now I have the chance to port my IOS App Candy Fever to Android :)

20. ParaLogic

ParaLogic

Thanks Unity :) I was planning on testing out Android in the near future, this sure comes in handy. Now get that store online again! ;)

21. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Well that's your choice. But my point is they have done literally nothing wrong. You feel like you are getting ripped off when it has not affected you at all.

If they got $400 off of a pro upgrade, that would be absolutely dumb. But my suspicion is that Unity would not do that.

22. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

It affected my wallet ;) but seriously it did affect me, clearly i would have bought a new pc but instead i paid $400 for unity android basic :(

23. AdamOwen

AdamOwen

Unity... wow. I was made redundant from job as a senior web developer and have been creating Android apps to keep a bit of money coming in for myself and my fiancee. We've been saving here and there as much as we have been able to so that we could purchase the Android license but things have always come up and knocked us back.

This is just about the most awesome thing I've seen a company do, we'll now be able to take full advantage of Unity technology in our Android apps and hopefully build ourselves up again.

You. Guys. Rock.

Thanks!

24. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

And its value has not been lost. It is worth exactly as much as it was whenever you bought it. When did you buy it by the way? If it was less than a month ago this discussion is pointless any ways.

25. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Sounds tough. Life goes on.

26. jamieo01

jamieo01

And was this your money or your parents?

27. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Nope it is worthless for the next month or so.

I purchased unity android basic ~4 months ago.

Mine? my parents hardly let me buy it with my money, they would never buy it for me :D

28. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Well if its worthless then obviously no one should use it. Its just a waste of space.

29. FusionGames

FusionGames

So....because they release it for free, suddenly you cannot make Android games anymore?

Besides, you can get a Mac eventually, and then you get the iOS license for free instead of having to buy both a Mac AND the license. I don't see how this new offer is harming you in any way...

30. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Due to the fact that it is avaliable for free, it is now worth $0.

31. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Why are you complaining so hard? Unity doesn't have to do this.

32. jamieo01

jamieo01

I think you misunderstand me, is it your own hard earned cash or is is pocket money from your parents.

33. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

then don't use it.

34. drewradley

drewradley

@ titanty

Have you asked for a refund? Never hurts to send them an email and explain your situation. Complaining here is basically futile.

35. FusionGames

FusionGames

Umm...so you're saying that Blender, GIMP, Unity Indie, and other great free programs out there are worthless? Pardon me if I am incorrect, but that does not seem logical to me. Just because something does not COST anything does not mean it is not WORTH anything...

36. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

They are rolling out a patch to fix that issue. Think it's scheduled out in April 8.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  37. FusionGames

FusionGames

lol... +1

38. stereosound

stereosound

So let me understand this situation -- unity offers a paid product for free for a limited time, and asks for nothing in return. This gives indie developers who don't have money to spend right now an opportunity to reach new markets, and on top of that they offer anyone who paid for it within the last 30 days gets a refund for the money they paid.... and we're complaining?

Just help me out -- I want to join in on the pitchfork action. We're assuming some sort of self-entitlement thing right? Or is it the good ol' "I paid more in the past so no one should pay less than me!" angle? Because I've been saving up this great plan to protest Walmart for their "rollback" method and I think we can use this as a springboard.

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

definition of worth: the material value of something.

My main problem with the whole thing that all the people that were just free users are now ios/android basic users... so all the people that used to not be classed as free loaders now will be i can see it now:

Someone: "let me guess you got unity android and ios when it was free?"
    Me: "No i got it before that"
    The douche bag "Someone": "yer sure"

That is what will happen :D

40. stereosound

stereosound

I didn't realize we had a caste system in the unity community based on the value of your unity product; my bad.

41. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

It is still worth exactly what it was before. Its not free forever, it is free temporarily. You didn't lose any money when it went free, nor did you lose your product.

42. jamieo01

jamieo01

Why would you pay attention to comments like that, all that matters is that you know that you bought it. Also another thought when did you start using unity after it was made free? If so you are also a "Freeloader"

43. vdek

vdek

Lol titanty, you're absolutely ridiculous. Do you enjoy making yourself look like a fool?

44. Running Pixel

Running Pixel

Holy crap!

I bought both the mobile licenses a couple of months ago... $800... sigh

45. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I don't think I know anyone who would say anything like that. Except trolls. And they wouldn't help you anyways.

46. FusionGames

FusionGames

Umm...Unity Indie used to be a product that you had to pay for...then unity made it free, and everyone loves it. Nobody, not even you, calls it worthless. So when they do the same thing with their iOS and Android licenses, suddenly you have the urge to declare them worthless? Please be consistent. If you say the licenses are worthless, then don't use them, and while you're at it, don't use Unity Indie either.

Also, I highly doubt that a "caste system" as you described will arise. It never happened with Unity Indie, so it won't happen with the iOS and Android licenses.

47. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

Wow thats great... hopefully the store responds tomorrow :)

It's actually not such a big surprise, given that the same happened to Unity Free and competition for mobile deployment gets tougher.
    After all it's not about current customers or beeing a charitable institution, it's about market share. This business model is certainly one main reason why Unity is so successful.
    To refund purchases from the last 30 days is a fair move, nobody could seriously ask for more.

I don't know why there are so many egoistic people in this community who think they have an exclusive right to get everything for free but others should not. Its the same with Pro features, Free users complain about "getting ripped off" for new features that are only available in Pro like this would spoil the free version in any way.

The biggest winners are those who bought their basic version in the last 30 days. Customers from before didn't win, but they didn't lose either. And they invested in a great product, something to be proud of.

48. seanlloydbooth

seanlloydbooth

Oh god.
    How will you regain your social status among "douche bags" now...

49. Demigiant

Demigiant

This discussion is getting kind of funny :D

Anyway, on my opinion, whatever the reason Unity did it, it's always a wonderful thing to see a software go free, even if for a limited time. I saw companies doing bad things (like Adobe, when they decided to release a 5.5 version of their softwares at full price - in that case I decided to never buy an Adobe software again, after many years of being a constant customer), and this is not the case, definitely.

Sure, I can understand the frustration of people that just bought it. I'm among them: bought the Android basic license just 33 days ago, so I'm just out of the refund option (though at least there was a discount in that period). But while I might feel unlucky, I definitely don't feel angry with the Unity guys (and girls). Free is good. Always. Unless you stole it :p Great move.

50. Drunken-Monkey

Drunken-Monkey

lol + 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.