Search Unity

[Solved] Unity IAP without analytics.

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by mihakinova, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mihakinova

mihakinova

Hi, I'm using Unity IAP and recently, we decided to change analytics to Flurry (dont ask me why...).
    Now, I still want to use IAP but I want the analytics part to be disabled, so that no data is collected by Unity Analytics.

Is this possible?

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

I'm afraid not. The two are tightly connected at the moment.

3. markychoi

markychoi

Hi @mihakinova

To follow up with Marc said, no it's not possible. Our current product roadmap have the two features tightly integrated as we have plans to roll out additional functionality and dashboard reporting to provide more detailed insights and capabilities to Unity game developers.

The data that we collect is never shared and is only used to enhance functionality for each individual game developer.

May I ask what your specific concerns are in regards to the data collection? Our goal here is to provide these services to you for free and to eliminate any of the blockers you have that keeps you from using them.

4. mihakinova

mihakinova

Hi @markychoi,

our game is targeted towards children and we want to obtain a COPPA certification but apparently, there are tight restrictions. One of which is, that you should have a way for parents to opt out of the analytics / data collection service, and Flurry offers that here: http://www.flurry.com/legal-privacy/end-user-opt-out
    I really don't have any legal background, nor have I done any extensive research on COPPA, but I was told this to be the case.

As far as I know, there is no such feature in Unity Analytics. Even if I would stop sending all my custom events, Unity Analytics still automatically sends a few predefined ones.

5. markychoi

markychoi

Ah, thank you for the additional information @mihakinova .

Like, Flurry, we also provide a framework for those developers who wish to create an app directed to children under 13 and also use Unity Analytics.

You can find information on how to do this here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/age-designation.326930/.

Also, the FTC provides a helpful FAQ that you might find valuable: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-coppa-frequently-asked-questions.

The FTC allows for certain allowances if you are using a third-party service to support the internal operations of your game.

As a reminder, we provide these resources for you for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice or a substitute for obtaining your own legal advice. Developers must independently ensure their compliance with COPPA for a child directed app.

6. MattRix

MattRix

What if someone is making a networked multiplayer game and the Unity Analytics requests are clogging up the network and introducing extra latency? Surely there must be some way to disable certain analytics without disabling IAP entirely, that seems bizarre.

7. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

We have worked hard to make sure that Unity Analytics will have a negligible impact on your game's performance, including network usage.

Unity Analytics is a requirement of Unity IAP. In particular, it is necessary for features like product reporting, which we demoed at our GDC booth recently. We will be launching this feature publicly very soon. This will allow you to see the revenue breakdown by product over time. And we will continue to improve this reporting feature to give you even more value from your data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.