Search Unity

Unity Game Development Chat Group [Invitation]

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by devtigris, Aug 17, 2016.

1. devtigris

devtigris

Come join us and introduce yourself and your game!

Join our live chat here
    https://discord.gg/DB62fjX

1477+ members and growing.

Lately, we've been talking a lot about inviting more Unity developers.

It's one of the most friendly game dev groups, where people actually care about making games and sharing their WIP work, ask for suggestions and share programming, modeling and game art experience. We've had people come and go, including CEO's of indie game development co's, and even had some voice actors stop by.

What is this all about? We've have been shepherding a friendly medium-size game development group on Skype for about 4 months. We have had over 160 members at one point, and still growing. We're aware of other outlets like Discord and Slack, but we're a bunch of odd game developers who prefer Skype, because it's more personal and convenient way to stay in touch. With all of its shortcomings.

We don't have a primary platform or language, and our members are very diverse in their background. Which can be really helpful for the game development community in terms of networking and finding team members for your project. But we would definitely enjoy having more members share their Unity experience which may in turn increase interest in the platform.

Please stop by, we hope to see you there!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. Goodeddie

Goodeddie

Can somebody staple this post to the top of the forum? :)

3. devtigris

devtigris

+1. Good idea, that would actually be useful:) If this happens, thank you in advance!

4. jhocking

jhocking

Part of me wants to join this chat, but I know I'll only go on once and then not have time for it again.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. There are so many chats out there at the moment. Slack, Skype, Discord, IRC, Facebook. They all have a multiple Unity groups.

Thanks for the invite, but this one I will have to pass on. Best of luck!

Ryiah likes this.
  6. devtigris

devtigris

Thanks for everyone who joined so far, it's been a fun weekend chat:)

7. devtigris

devtigris

Whoa, we hit over 200 members. Thanks!

Can a merciful soul pin this for a while to the top of the bulletin?

8. devtigris

devtigris

Most members usually keep the tab open in their background. When something fun happens, it's worth posting WIP screenshots or advertise your game. Surprisingly, it's been growing into a pretty active community.

9. FreeFly90

FreeFly90

I just joined the chat too :)

10. devtigris

devtigris

Awesome! We're looking forward to seeing you there :)

11. devtigris

devtigris

Looks like we're growing.

12. Kombiice

Kombiice

Hey there! Is this still existent?
    I'm not able to join the group o_O

13. iamzloff

iamzloff

Amazing group. I highly recommend joining! ;D

14. devtigris

devtigris

15. devtigris

devtigris

Looks like we had a few new members join. Thanks!

16. devtigris

devtigris

17. devtigris

devtigris

We're still here :) Feel welcome to join us.

18. Kombiice

Kombiice

I can't join, sadly. My Skype Name is "Kombisice"

19. devtigris

devtigris

I can't join either via Chrome (MacBook version). But Safari works. Every time I am on this forum on Chrome on my Mac, the page halts. Hmm. Just an idea.

20. devtigris

devtigris

The joining issue has been fixed. Everyone welcome to stop by!

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Please don't delete and repost messages repeatedly. Only post if you have something new to add.

--Eric

22. devtigris

devtigris

Ok, thanks for the PSA.

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We aren't pinning it, unless it's official. The reason being is everyone will want their chat pinned too.

As an idea, perhaps some of the 200 or so users you have might include a link in their forum signature.

24. Kombiice

Kombiice

Hey!
    Still does not work :(.

25. devtigris

devtigris

Thanks to everyone who joined so far! We had a few Unity questions answered over the weekend. Everyone else, is still welcome to join us. It's a small server but most people know each other there.

26. Schneider21

Schneider21

Do you just keep deleting your last post and posting a new one in order to get it bumped to the top of the feed? I swear I've seen this thread come back to the top a number of times now with your post being the most recent, but there's only ever the one most recent post. I think what you're doing still qualifies as bump spamming. Which it looks like you were already warned about back in October.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you're running a chat room to try and connect people, but this feels like the wrong way to be trying to draw attention to it.

hippocoder likes this.
  27. devtigris

devtigris

True dat. Well, it was only done like once a month.

We often promote other community at ours.

I wasn't taking it as seriously as that, but I will abide by attitude of those who choose to run their community any way.

Good luck with everything :)

hippocoder likes this.
  28. Schneider21

Schneider21

To be clear, I wasn't trying to be critical or demand that you stop or anything. It just seems peculiar. And not wholly effective. And a bit like you're trying to circumvent the bump-spam rule.

Honestly, in my opinion the best way to promote the chat would be to have a link with a description in your signature. And post as much as you can in whatever forums you're familiar with the topics for. Answer people's questions on the forums and point out the link to your chat room, inviting them to join if they'd like.

I think people are more likely to want to participate in something if their first exposure to it comes in the context of someone associated with it helping them out, demonstrating the value of that person, and by extension, the resource or community they're promoting. This compared to your current 21 posts in 17 months, 20 of which are promoting or discussing your chat room... with the one exception being a great post about a game jam you guys organized! Do more of that!

The way it stands, it's easy to interpret that your presence on these forums is not an attempt to contribute to this community, but rather to draw in and recruit for your own. Which kinda goes against the spirit of what these forums are even about.

Ryiah likes this.
  29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Right, posting new info is fine. Spam-bumping is not (any frequency, be that daily/monthly/whatever).

--Eric

Ryiah likes this.
  30. devtigris

devtigris

I think you are making a good point. You are right, it isn't as effective, as it would be to create a link in my signature and start helping people out on the forum. This way things fall in their natural order and it is far more effective than bumping the post. So that is what I did. I improved my profile by adding the link to Gamedev Cafe in my signature. And this is the last post in this thread that I will ever make. From now on, I will participate in the community personally, learn more about Unity and help others with their own questions. Thanks for your message, I agree that this is the right thing to do.

Schneider21 likes this.
  31. CyberInteractiveLLC

CyberInteractiveLLC

the link doesn't work for me

32. radiantboy

radiantboy

cant get in