Search Unity

Unity Game Developer Contest 2016

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

You can submit it to the contest now. It took my game exactly 16 hours to make it live on store.

2. Rickywild

Rickywild

3. SarperS

SarperS

You really think that 10-150 submissions in a day can cause a problem like this? Android gets that amount of submissions like every 10 minutes :)

The problem is with publishing so it would take more time for updates to hit the store too I think. But should this stop you from publishing updates? If the update doesn't make it in time you still have your game published anyway, so no risk there.

Can any officials confirm that? I would hate to submit a dead link and get disqualified :)

4. SarperS

SarperS

Still no answers to that, I wanted to know that too :/

5. Rickywild

Rickywild

I get a "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found." message with your link. I hope you get it sorted matey. If you submitted by the 27th of Jan I should imagine they'd accept your game regardless of implications? They advised competitors to enter by this date because of the time it could possibly take throughout Microsoft store submission process. If you submitted after then you might be given a hard time about it, i don't know. Out of curiosity, what kind of game have you submitted? Do you have a website?

6. SarperS

SarperS

I submitted on 5th and your guess is probably correct, because if it's not live by then they said they would "reassess" the situation. We'll see.

It's a "defend the castle" game where baddies attack your castle and you defend it with a stationary weapon. http://www.accidentalee.com is the website, not much to see there. Just a 6 entries of weekly devlog I started before the contest. Here is a screenshot though.

ss23.png

7. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

I wish you are right, but I still think that the new and rising filter need a minimum number of installs. It is not just new, I suppose rising means having a minimum popularity (installs), which might be easy for free games, but not for paid games like mine: In the racing category, all the new and rising games are free games. Not fair they compete with paid games on the number of installs :(

Actually, I've tried to do a generic search with the "racing" word and filter by games: My game appears in the results, and I've noticed that there are a lot more games than in the racing category.

Curious to hear the definitive answer from Microsoft's support though :)

8. Rickywild

Rickywild

Looks awesome. There's so much competition here, a lot of great looking games!

9. SarperS

SarperS

Thanks! I'll be nothing but happy even if I get a pro license. The game is still a playable WIP at this point so not as complete and polished as I would like. One can only hope :) Best of luck to everyone.

By the way I discovered too late but there are apps that generate all the store icons and other artwork in the windows store, if anyone has any missing artwork take a look at this https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/asset-generator/9wzdncrdqwvs

10. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

@Sarper Soher

well, you can wait for it to show in store. You still have a day to submit.

11. Astarorr

Astarorr

Good luck to everyone! Also participating, also with WIP version :)

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Mine's technically a WIP as well, but I do consider the game in a complete state right now, it simply needs more content (That won't be coming any time soon however... :D)

13. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Mine got this after I submitted my last update. I wish it hadn't done that though, as that last update fixed a glaring flaw in the main menu!

And yes, it counts game updates, my last update (version 0.9.6 to be exact) still hasn't come through... :-/
    Yea, but... think about how long android's been around compared to the MS store. ;) the server's are probably overtaxed just by being young!

14. mechangel

mechangel

I passed cert on my second try. (I had to make it 12+!) It has said "In the store" on my submission since the 8th, but I'm still showing "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found.".
    I think at this point submitting with the link where the response email says the app will be when it's live is the best we can hope for.
    For advice, I reached out to the contact Alex Hickox at MS that I had corresponded with in December, but he is no longer contracting with the company.
    They should send us all a Windows 10 mobile device for our perseverance just for entering! ; )

15. SarperS

SarperS

unityoffers@microsoft.com is the official address for contest related stuff. I'm in the same boat by the way, in the store but still waiting for them to fix the publishing issues.

16. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

GOOD IDEA! ;)

Also, who feels like asking @Aurore about this new problem that's cropped up? (Or even @jaimermx?)

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

So am I, although in my case, it's a bugfix update that's blocked by this stupid problem, the game itself has been on the store since Feb 5th!

18. Nihil688

Nihil688

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

20. Seguame

Seguame

Once I got the game in store I'll publish it, meanwhile, I'm on the same boat as some of you guys :/ [fix for being stuck at certification not fixed yet and they have another issue after that, geez] :/

21. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Dare I hope they extend the deadline for those stuck... Or MS hurries up and cleans up the mess their servers have made. ;)

22. noob101

noob101

Hey, this is my hidden store link for an earlier WIP submission. I am in the same boat as everyone else. This submission did not have the ARM support in it , I will wait few more ours if the new one does show up pubic in the store I will just submit this, cheers
    https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH5HXQM

23. Nihil688

Nihil688

Thanks and it's actually a bargain if you think about it :)

24. mechangel

mechangel

Mine is showing up at the link now! https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH5H5S2
    Complete with all kinds of bugs in the mobile version! =) The live tile I was so pleased with is doing some crazy stuff that I wasn't seeing on Win 8.1, (like some nice white text on a white background), but miraculously I did end up with a proper store logo.
    This certainly wasn't as smooth a ride to port as it claimed to be, but I had fun and learned a lot and I hope everyone else did too!

25. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

MINE'S FIXED!!!! :D :) ;) :p

Microsoft, you are seriously scraping that barrel a bit too thin! ;)

26. AVOlight

AVOlight

some reason my last submission says Last modified (UTC) 2/11/2016, and both the update and pass happened before then ....

27. SarperS

SarperS

Dude my whole UI panels turn on and off at random intervals in the store version. This didn't happen in the locally deployed version. What the...did anyone experience this with NGUI and Windows Store builds before?

28. Plattinator

Plattinator

I have a similar issue, but it's causing the text to sometimes flicker between white boxes and the actual text. It seems to be worse on 8.1.

29. noob101

noob101

Yes , how are you deploying the local version ? if you are hitting play in Unity thats not enough. You need to do get Visual Studio to deploy a version for you .

Also do try to normalize the depth hierarchy in NGUI this brings out issues that dont show up in debug but some how will in Release

30. noob101

noob101

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  31. AVOlight

AVOlight

hey, looking to compare the submission times,
    could you tell me what date your submission has next to Last modified (UTC) in the dashboard

mine has Last modified (UTC) 2/11/2016, even tho it passed cert hours before the deadline

32. noob101

noob101

It was showing 2/10/2016 but when I refreshed its showing 2/11/2016 . I guess what matters is what is there at the time of the submission

33. AVOlight

AVOlight

thanks for checking, hope so, really do

34. Moana

Moana

From Chrono4D - ChronoPlay https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9NBLGGH5Q1S4

ChronoPlay engages hand and eye skills while engaging the player with a time ordering quiz of events from the Big Bang to the Present.
    Anybody can create their own timelines and then use that data to play ChronoPlay.
    This project is the basis for a sequence games based on this and other timelines already available from Chronozoom.com. In the near future groups will be able to compete and if required as an assessment tool all the data is available.Data is drawn from ChronoZoom.com database which is being developed by Microsoft Research, Berkley University, and Moscow University.
    This is a contribution to the Big History Project aspects of which have been supported by Bill Gates.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  35. SarperS

SarperS

Yep, that's what "deploy" means :)

I've programmed an editor extension that assigns unique depth values to the whole UI using the transform hierarchy order. Checked again now, no two widgets or panels use the same value.

36. Deozaan

Deozaan

37. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

I'll be more than happy if i get among the 20 honorable mentions :p

38. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

39. Huseyin-aslan

Huseyin-aslan

40. anuj

anuj

hi finally made it to the store on time , just one query though . is submitting updates allowed after deadline?

41. AVOlight

AVOlight

many of us want to know, i've just emailed support to find out

42. Plattinator

Plattinator

I believe you can, but you risk having different judges look at different versions of the game.

43. AVOlight

AVOlight

just got a reply from v-chasle at microsoft

"Thank you for your email. Yes, you can continue updating your app."

44. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... probably not a good idea for me to do that though... :D

If I were to submit an update now, it would have something like 2 or 3 more cups to race in. If one judge only go two while the other got 5... :rolleyes:

45. noob101

noob101

Fair enough , what I noticed is the following which might help you :

1- Not many users use NGUI with WSA so potentially NGUI issues
    2-There were differences between Debug and Release versions
    3-If your timescale is changed the transitiones might changed especially with the tweens

46. Pav3l_

Pav3l_

Unity & Microsoft approach to this contest is a joke. You decide to held a contest to bring more games to the platform, promote it and hope that many developers port their games to WP platform, yet porting guides and tutorials for WP is still not available after intended deadline ?! Who does that?

Lot of complicated issues from Unity itself on WP, Microsoft reporting, certification and publishing is a joke, even for hobbyists, not to mention people that do this for a living. No easy to integrate monetization and vague contact with developers do not help either. I'm pretty disappointed :(

SarperS likes this.
  47. ErgoMeSmart

ErgoMeSmart

Didn't post about it, but managed to get my game in (and working on Windows 10!) before the deadline. My game is Grow in the Hole, a 2D side view golf game based around an often-growing golf ball and procedurally generated courses:

https://www.microsoft.com/store/games/grow-in-the-hole/9nblggh5pzmn

Also, for future reference, if you build to Windows 8 or 10 and it takes a while to start or out-right crashes, it might be loading in the audio at the start that's causing it. It was in my case, at least.

48. anuj

anuj

so how did you solved it , my game is also crashing randomly and i guess audio is the reason

49. Darkcoder

Darkcoder

So the competition entry period is over right? It would sure be nice to get a confirmation email or something saying they have your entry.

In fact, it's quite bizarre how little communication there has been toward the end when it's most needed. I sure hope the judging and prizes will be done as expected.

50. Plattinator

Plattinator

I did receive an email with the subject "Thank you for entering the Unity Game Developer Contest" when I completed the final step for my submission.

Darkcoder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.