Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity for a presentation tool (like powerpoint)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iamthwee, Jun 9, 2016.

1. iamthwee

iamthwee

Howdy boys.

I got a presentation for school and was just wondering if it was a good idea to use unity to jazz it up so to speak with cool text animations. I know probably after effects might be another good option but I don't have the time to learn that. I was looking to do something similar like the 'prezi' website.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

goat, Martin_H, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  3. iamthwee

iamthwee

Noooooo, it's in javascript! LOL, thanks I'll take a quick peek.

karl_jones likes this.
  4. Azbo

Azbo

I think it is a pretty good idea knowing that Unity was built for 3D affects. Good luck on your presentation!!

iamthwee likes this.
  5. iamthwee

iamthwee

Thanks, I'm going to download the github now and see how I get on. Will let you know.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I did this thing playing with the UI a while back.

7. Azbo

Azbo

Okay!

8. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

9. KnightsHouseGames

KnightsHouseGames

I mean, if you were really dedicated, you could probably drill a hole in a piece of wood with a screwdriver rather than a power drill if you wanted, but why would you?

You are probably better off just using the right tool for the job

If you are presenting a live gameplay demonstration, maybe that would be useful, but even then I'd probably just prerecord some screepcapped video.

I've given live gameplay demonstrations in the past, and something I've discovered is if theres an embarassing bug that you haven't found yet, it will rear it's ugly head during your live demonstration, usually at the WORST possible time. If not, you'll forget how to do something, or something else will happen, something always goes wrong.

I mean, it's E3 week, so what better time to remember the Sony Wonderbook moment. It's something that happens every year during Sony's E3 press conference, where they have at least one segement go ridiculously wrong, and it's usually a product no one cares about anyway, like the Wonderbook. It's just something that is bound to happen.

You are probably better off pre-recording the segements you want to do in Unity and putting them into your Powerpoint or whatever equivilant you want to use.

Though, if you could somehow use Unity to make a VR Powerpoint style presentation that everyone could bust out VR goggles for, that would be dope. I've seen 3D videos on Youtube that were kinda like that.

Of course, this is probably impractical for your purposes, so I'd probably stick to powerpoint.

10. Bobed1991

Bobed1991

If you still need templates for your presentation navigate here , once upon a time I downloaded from here templates for free, what about now not sure.

11. tony_torok

tony_torok

12. Sirpion

Sirpion

13. xCyborg

xCyborg

The Unite Europe 2017 particle system talk presentation was entirely inside Unity, it was the best presentation ever!
    If someone knows if that project is open sourced please post a link.

richardkettlewell and karl_jones like this.
  14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The link to download is provided in the YouTube description :)
    Here it is https://oc.unity3d.com/index.php/s/sIYmYAPEcR41ivz

richardkettlewell likes this.
  15. RichardKain

RichardKain

The new timeline tools in the latest release of Unity should make using it as a presentation tool significantly easier. They allow for a lot more pre-defined scripting based on known time intervals, which is good for a presentation-style format. If you knew what you were doing, you could probably also incorporate some more advanced features in your presentation that programs like PowerPoint don't really employ. (like pause, rewind, fast-forward, slow-mo, that sort of thing)

karl_jones likes this.
  16. Circool

Circool

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I do most of my presentations in unity... though they are almost always about unity, so it makes sense and is a good fit, as I can show results and such right in the presentation. I just have a slide class, that that has a control interface, and a single scene. The slides are all canvases in a canvas, so ordering is derived from the hierarchy. I use DOTween to sequence events in a slide with a little editor interface, so I can do fwd/back/etc in the slide that propagates upward. Adding new slides is just duplicating an existing one and dragging to the right order.

karl_jones likes this.
  18. mgear

mgear