Search Unity

Unity editor crashing when full screened

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Osheanity, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Osheanity

Osheanity

Hi there.

First things first, thank you for helping me with my problem.

The issue I'm having is every time I open unity the restore button on the top right corner of the program indicates that the program is in "full screen" mode yet it opens in a half screen. When I click restore the window stays the same because its already minimized to the half screen format. When I click again it does go into the full screen mode except where the inspector pane should have moved over to accommodate the full screen size is blacked out program.

Following the actual switch to full screen, the program proceeds to not respond. If I were to keep Unity in the half screen size, the program works for about 20 minutes before white graphical glitches start to appear in the centre. The glitches start to get worse until eventually the program just stops responding. All of my drivers are at their latest versions.

The Unity version that I am currently running is 5.1.2f1

My Specs:
    MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro laptop

Windows 10 Home

• Intel Core i7- 5700HQ @ 2.70 GHz
    • 16 GIGS RAM
    • SATA 120GIG SSD
    • Nividia Geforce 970m Graphics Card
    Again, thank you for your time.

EDIT: This is a clean install of Unity on the operating system.

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Are your graphics drivers up to do date? I know Windows 10 had a little bit of a bumpy road with drivers.

Additionally could you post screenshots of what is going on that would be handy.

3. Osheanity

Osheanity

Thank you for the reply, all my drivers are up to date.

Here are the screen shots:

This picture is when Unity is full screened and not responding.
    Unity Bug.JPG

This picture is when unity first opens.
    Unity Opening.JPG

This is the graphical glitch after about 5 minutes of using the editor.
    Unity Graphics glitch.JPG

4. RobertMacGillivray

RobertMacGillivray

This sounds very similar, if not identical, to a problem I'm having. This is what I said in my bug report:

1. What happened: When I open a project with a popup playmaker window the whole program freezes (although if I force the project to need to recompile scripts, it does so before the program freezes). When testing a brand new, empty, scene (or deleting the playmaker files that cause the popup) Unity is able to open and runs just fine. The problem with a fresh project arises when I try to minimize Unity (bringing it back up results in a black, non-responsive screen), touching the edges of the window to resize the Unity window (freezes and will not recover), or hit the windows maximize button (resizes, but does not update the image to fill the new space and freezes with no chance of recovery). For some reason though, it seems that if I use the taskbar to switch programs without actually minimizing Unity, I can switch back to it and it will not be frozen, although I haven't tried to accomplish any complex tasks like this.

2. How we can reproduce it using the example you attached: I haven't attached any Unity project files as it happens with me in a brand new project. I have attached two dump files of the non-responsive application though.

Further Notes: I have a brand new MSI GT72 2QE-1803US Dominator Pro G with a Core i7-5700HQ, 24GB of RAM, and a GTX980M. I immediately upgraded to Windows 10 and updated all of my drivers/utility programs and have everything other than Unity working as far as I can tell. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Unity on both my SSD and regular HD in both 64 and 32 bit versions. I've also tried the 64-bit version of 5.1.1f to see if the last version I used on my old laptop would open the current project I'm contracting on. I've also tried running as administrator and running Windows 7 compatibility mode to no avail.

5. RobertMacGillivray

RobertMacGillivray

I have another bit of information now too - so if I click the fullscreen button once (which, like you said, looks like the window should already be fullscreen) the icon changes to windowed mode, and I can minimize Unity to my heart's content. I still can't re-size the window though or it'll freeze.

6. RobertMacGillivray

RobertMacGillivray

I guess I'll keep posting information as I discover it to hopefully help out the dev team as much as possible in resolving this issue. I haven't been able to reproduce the issue mentioned/pictured above with the graphical glitches, but I did notice that whether or not I've tapped the restore button to fix the minimizing problem, trying to open windows in Unity (such as the build settings window) will freeze the program.

7. ScrappyOrc

ScrappyOrc

I have the same laptop as Osheanity (MSI GE62 2QF Apache Pro), and I am running into similar issues with the editor. My issue is that whenever I try to move or resize an editor window, Unity crashes. I can delay the crash by using the option -force-opengl, but Unity will still crash after moving/resizing windows.

8. RobertMacGillivray

RobertMacGillivray

Just wondering, does Unity also freeze up on you guys when you try to import assets from the asset store (like right around the time when that little popup window with all of the checkboxes should pop up)? I would also like to note for anyone from Unity listening that we all have Broadwell processors. Well, the same Broadwell processor.

9. kyte

kyte

Same problem here. I have a MSI Ghost GS60 laptop with a 970m graphics card. Saw some graphical glitches in the editor while scaling a cube in a new project, expanded the editor window to full size and then Unity entirely stopped responding. Does anyone have a work around?

10. RobertMacGillivray

RobertMacGillivray

I did find that if my maximize/restore button showed me that the program was full-screen, even though it wasn't, I just clicked it once and then was able to minimize the window and bring it up again without Unity freezing up on me. It didn't let me maximize, but it seemed like I could at least work with Unity after I did that. The only problem I still ran into was that any editor popup windows (such as the importing assets window) would freeze Unity up.

On a more positive note, a couple days ago my problems mysteriously vanished. I had tried uninstalling all MSI programs that had anything to do with re-sizing text/apps/icons (which didn't really help), but then I re-installed Unity 5.1.1f at the request of my boss since he didn't want to move the project to 5.1.3f yet, and everything started working. I had previously tried 5.1.1f to no avail, so I'm wondering if it had something to do with me first uninstalling all of the MSI stuff first this time around since I haven't got any graphics card driver updates or anything for my 980M. Thought you guys might want to try it.

11. ScrappyOrc

ScrappyOrc

I uninstalled all MSI related applications, Uninstalled Unity 5.2.0f1, and reinstalled Unity 5.2.0f1 and the issue went away for me. Thanks @scottishrob13!

12. kyte

kyte

Thanks for the suggestions guys
    Which applications exactly do you mean by MSI related? I see one called SUPER CHARGER and another called Nahimic for MSI. Not sure if those are ok to uninstall. Any others?

13. ScrappyOrc

ScrappyOrc

It looks like the SUPER CHARGER app is related to USB rapid charging, and Nahimic for MSI is related to audio. I think it's unlikely that either of those applications are causing the issue with Unity.

I forget the exact name of the application, but the one I would suspect is causing issues is the color correction application. It was the only application that I could find that might be messing with Unity's graphics.

14. Maynardkenmuir

Maynardkenmuir

Hi had the same problem for weeks this worked for me turns out it was Nahimic i just closed it and set it not to open in startup Unity works fine now.

15. Yakeru

Yakeru

Hello,

Same issue here ! On a MSI GS60 2QE and Windows 10, I tried Unity 5.2.2, 5.0.0, 4.6.9, 64 and 32 bits, with and without compatibility mode, forcing the Intel or NVidia GPU at launch, and it was crashing every single time in the exact same way as you described.
    I ended up creating a Win 7 virtual machine ...

So as soon as I'm back from work I will try closing Nahimic before launching Unity and send some feedback.

Thank you guys ! Working in the VM is really tedious ...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  16. Yakeru

Yakeru

Hello again,

So yes, I confirm, Nahimic causes Unity to crash on my laptop as well. Closing it corrects the issue.

Thanks guys !

17. Alanrgo

Alanrgo

I am using MSI GE62 2QD Apache Pro. I closed Nahimic application and Unity started working fine now.

Thanks guys!

18. Synthetikaryote

Synthetikaryote

I am using MSI GT80 2QE. I had previously had problems with Grand Theft Auto crashing, and figured out Nahimic causes it. Now Unity is crashing in the way described above, and again, Nahimic was the cause. Surprise surprise. Thanks for the help!

19. PoppetMcGimsie

PoppetMcGimsie

Thanks - I was trying to use Unity on my MSI GE 72 laptop for sinewave-Space and it kept crashing no matter what I did - tried uninstall/reinstall, update graphics drivers, etc. and no joy. Found this forum. Went and uninstalled MSI nahimic and that fixed the problem with Unity.