Search Unity

Unity Custom Deferred Shading and Multiple Shading Model

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Charkes, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Charkes

Charkes

Hi,

I'm working on a custom version of the unity deferred system which will basically allow the use of multiple shading model instead of one as it is the case now.

Shading model :

Eye Shading :

Screen Space Subsurface Scattering :

I'll update the thread with the other shading model which currently are just planned and not yet implemented (added them is pretty straight forward though) but right now I'm doing my best to make it as fast as possible and easy to use.

Now what I would like to know is :

Will you be interrested in using it on your project ? If yes how much would you willing to pay for it ?

If you have questions or maybe suggestions on the shading models I'm proposing, please feel free to comment below.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Knightmore likes this.
  2. Charkes

Charkes

One of the cool thing that SSSSS can allow is that you can make custom SSS profile :

3. looki666

looki666

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  4. Charkes

Charkes

A translucent shader would be a great addition indeed but can't be handled by Separable Subsurface Scattering so it will be an other shading model.

If possible in Deferred (and if I can do it :)) answer is yes but wich is certain is that I'll add a translucent model based on Colin Barré-Brisebois (used at DICE if I'm correct)..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  5. Charkes

Charkes

Started to work on backscattering for the SSS shading model, works great so far (thanks to the structured buffer).

EDIT : There's no thickness calculations based on a depth map, this is just the shadow maps from the point light, they are blurred by the SSS.

looki666 likes this.
  6. looki666

looki666

When ?

Any WebGL demo ?

7. Charkes

Charkes

Really hard to say, I'm doing this on my free time and there's a lot of work left on that and of course I won't do it if there's no real interrest in it.

It's currently DX11 (I'm using structured buffer) only so it will be a windows build.

What kind of demo would you like to see ?

8. Charkes

Charkes

Some new things, I've write my own SSSSS effect inspired by Jimenez and Epic Samaritan Demo papers.

It use a 7 taps separated blur and one color input.

It's a simpler approach so it will not look as good as Jimenez version but it has the advantage of not requiring any pre computation of a color profile.

9. looki666

looki666

Do not downgrade :)
    Unity is really missing Cutting Edge SSS .

Charkes likes this.
  10. Abuthar

Abuthar

Any chance this is still being worked on? Could really use a deferred SSS effect for skin. Would definitely pay for something like this.

Charkes likes this.
  11. Charkes

Charkes

Hi !

Sorry for the late answer and for not updating the thread much.

Yeah I'm still working on it !

If you want, you can check my twitter, it's really the best place to stay up to date regarding this project :).

Cheers