Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - October 2014 - The Island

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Unity Technologies is happy to announce it's second "Unity Community Forum Challenge"! Everybody is welcome to join in and show other fellow artist what they can do and compete for the First Place! This Challenge is sponsored once again by Sketchfab.

This months Challenge is themed "The Island". In essence, you are to re-create an Island or more precisely a Diorama of an Island or a section/part of an Island! It could be your typical Palm Tree Island or perhaps a rocky Island with hot Lava flowing into the ocean? Maybe your Diorama tells a little story using well placed objects and characters? Use your imagination and be creative... surprise us!

As a result we want to see a beautiful creative Diorama!
    Post Work in Progress Screenshots or even use Sketchfab to present your work in progress. See rules below.

1. Participants will have till the end of the month (October, 31st) to submit their Final Entry

2. Final Entry must be a "Diorama" showcasing the theme "The Island" (can include characters/vehicles/etc). To showcase your work use the Sketchfab website or any of the various Sketchfab plugins available for the various 3D software packages. Post your final Sketchfab link in this thread.

3. Polycount Limitation for this Challenge is 50.000 Vertices. Only ever use as many polygons as necessary to define a shape! This is a game art challenge after all! Make use of normal maps etc to give your textures/meshes more detail.

4. You can use normal maps, specular maps etc to enhance your work visually. Perhaps try to combine textures onto one texture sheet if possible for efficiency, however it's not a requirement. There is no restriction on how many textures you can use but keep in mind that this is a game art challenge so don't go too crazy.

5. Entrants must post at least 1 WIP (Work in Progress) Screenshot before submitting their Final Entry. We suggest you post more and get feedback! Please visit https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/sections/200485707-Uploading-3D-Models for further information on how to use and upload to Sketchfab.

6. Your final entries must be submitted through Sketchfab. Please tag your work with the words: "UCAC" and "Island" and lastly "Final".

7. No previous work can be used. This essentially means that you should create everything from scratch!

8. No nudity or gross violence or political themes please! Keep it clean and fun for everyone!

For Info on how to use/post using Sketchfab see this thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sketchfab-on-the-forums.251137/

This month the great folks from Sketchfab are sponsoring our contest once again! The winners will receive the following:

1st Place : 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro and Cardboard VR
    2nd Place: 1 Year of Sketchfab Pro
    3rd Place: 6 Months of Sketchfab Pro

We hope to see many of you participate! Let's get this started!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    bradAnderson likes this.
  2. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

We're very happy and excited to be sponsoring this new Art Challenge, good luck everyone!

Feel free to reach out anytime to support@sketchfab.com if you face any issue while uploading to Sketchfab. We'd love to see your WIPs in 3D as well :)

And here is a bit of inspiration:

XCO, metsnurb, ChrisSch and 2 others like this.
  3. aelbers

aelbers

Please don't do turtleback islands. They're too cliché:rolleyes:

4. Constructidecepticon

Constructidecepticon

Hi there

Here is my entry

"Classic" flying armoured island housing a long range machine gun :) Modeled from sketches and in the process of be hand painted.

Sketches can be found here

Good luck to everyone

InesAlice, XCO, R-Lindsay and 5 others like this.
  5. Matthi

Matthi

I'll try to participate in this one as well, I had fun with the last challenge :)
    I would make an interpretation of the "classic" comic island thats just large enough to have a palm tree on it and someone who is stranded there. Might be a bit cliché, but I could always have the Island be a turtle instead @aelbers :D

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  6. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Thomas Pasieka: Well, well, the new one's here! And I dig islands!

TIME TO KICK THIS ONE INTO HIGH GEAR FTW! :D :) ;) :p

EDIT: Um, you may have done this by accident, but you typed October 31th... :D

Eric2241 likes this.
  7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Constructidecepticon Very cool sketches and model so far! Love the concept and execution! Looking forward to seeing this finished!

@Matthi - Nothing wrong with going classic! There is also nothing wrong with turtle islands ;)

@FuzzyQuills - Well bring it on then!

Constructidecepticon likes this.
  8. LS195

LS195

@Constructidecepticon Looks really nice! But one thing
    Your blog shows you started this a few weeks ago! ;)

9. Constructidecepticon

Constructidecepticon

Hi

That's totally right to point out LS195. I don't hide anything, actually provided the links you followed.

I posted my entry this morning after a Sketchfab user told me about it, knowingly. You can follow the time line from my sketches, the first WIP (aobake) in sketchfab after a night modelling it and 3 updtates in texture since then.

Overall time used to create the actual model/texture :4 full days of work , 8 hours for day.

It is way to much coincidence to me to leave it pass, just when I am creating this precise piece the contest just came up.

Honestly I am leaving the decision to keep or revoke the entry in the hands of the Thomas Pasieka, as Moderator and happily accept the resolution.

Aside of it I'll keep on updating because I am having a blast with it :)

Thank you guys

10. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Hey again guys,

Well first and foremost we are here for the fun of a Challenge and to interact with others who do participate and enjoy a game art challenge. I will let @Constructidecepticon entry pass. I would also let somebody pass if he ended up using 55k verts instead of 50k as noted in the rules. However, that's shouldn't be seen as a free ticket to be late, or go overboard in general ;)

I would see it as a problem if it was work from a half year or so ago.

So, let's move on! Really curious to see what everybody else is up to...

@Constructidecepticon - Do you mind posting some wire shots and maybe uv/texture sheet(s)? I am sure others are interested in your workflow/methods. Not everybody here is on the same level :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Constructidecepticon likes this.
  11. Constructidecepticon

Constructidecepticon

Not at all. I'll post some wires/uv as soon I got home. I will post the texture sheet at the end of the project, along with the normal/spec. ATM it is just a sketchy difuse.

Realtime wire and polycount are displayed in the sketchfab model page . ATM is around 11k but problably will be beefup a bit.

BTW thanks to give it a pass. The more the merrier.

12. bradAnderson

bradAnderson

Greetings!!

Awesome, another challenge!! I'm thinking of something along the lines of a 'Skull Island' for this one. Something piratey. Shall see how it evolves!!

Thanks

13. NomadKing

NomadKing

Not sure how I missed the last challenge, but I may just have to throw my hat in for this one...

...and it will feature a turtle! ;)

14. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

15. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Any updates from anyone folks? Come on.. bring forth your art! Let's see it!

NomadKing likes this.
  16. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Hi there,I am joining to this contest.I share with you my first concept art for my entry. It is an island located among lava ruled by a King who wants to expand his little empire across the sea of lava. Adios amigos. :) rey.png

XCO, R-Lindsay, metsnurb and 5 others like this.
  17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

18. Matthi

Matthi

Have been at it on and off in a few sessions of spare time, but just noticed that I have not shown anything yet.
    I have learned from the last challenge and started with a mockup of the actual scene to give me a general direction:
    blockout.PNG
    But because I am inpatient I didn't add all the details I want to be in there. Instead, I jumped straight to sculpting the poor stranded guy:
    sculptguy.PNG
    I just love the simple tools of Sculptris! But seriously, people are complaining about "drawing hands" all the time - they should try to sculpt feet! Once again I promise myself that, for the next time, I will include fingers and toes in my base mesh.
    I then retopologised him, added an armature for posing and cobbled together a texture from a few bakes.
    Stranded_Guy.PNG
    Far from perfect! Texture needs a lot of work, and automatic bone weighting failed me on this character because he is a little bit more sturdy. And I hate weight painting! Oh well, I'm putting this off, will fix him some other time... :eek:
    Stranded_WIP_3.PNG
    And that's where I am now. I'll add some more details, improve the birds, add the obligatory shark fin... And I think I will bake the entire lighting into the textures for this one!

Attached Files:

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Matthi: Nice work you have there! :)
    for your issues with auto weight painting, try re-modeling the topology. (yes, I know, it's a pain, done it before myself... :D)

20. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Matthi - Very nice start there mate. Blocking out the scene is always a good idea. Looks like you are moving along just fine :)

21. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Hi,today I share with you this concept i made,this time it is a glimpse of the main shape of the island,and a little crab on the surface.cheers!

torre.png

22. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@EMMANEMSAURIO REX - I am very much liking that concept of yours :) Really looking forward to see it in 3D! Bring it on.

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX likes this.
  23. GooseNinja

GooseNinja

just did this. Will upload to sketchfab as soon as i fix the strange export issue I'm having.

24. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

GooseNinja likes this.
  25. NomadKing

NomadKing

Seeing some great stuff in here so far - I love the sketches by @EMMANEMSAURIO REX

Hopefully I'll have an update on my entry later today!

26. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Thanks mate! waiting for your project,and everyone keep up the good work!

NomadKing likes this.
  27. NomadKing

NomadKing

I promised an update on my entry, and although it's not as far along as I hoped, here's an update anyway!

My concept is the corpse of long dead giant turtle, being used as a home for a sinister resident (Something fitting for the time of year we're approaching...). So far I've only got the head modelled half-submerged in a swampy area that will contain my scene.

Turtle1.png

I should get more time to finish the modelling next week, then onto some texture fun.

28. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Very nice start! and cool idea too- Hope you get the time to keep building that island!

NomadKing likes this.
  29. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Looking great everyone, love the concepts.

@fimmfingur are you having trouble with the Sketchfab exporter?

30. GooseNinja

GooseNinja

Yea, Cinema 4d crashes whenever I try to export

31. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

32. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Hi.Today i started the modeling stage.I share with you this renders. avance.png :)

33. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

34. overthere

overthere

10603918_961399287209728_3147611448531874459_o.jpg Hi thought this would be a fun learning challenge, never having touched 3D modelling software before, so any hints and tips from the talented people posting here more than welcome. Idea I'm working on is the 'Island exists below', barren on top with a sign saying nothing to see here', Switching below to abundant sea life etc. Well thats the idea at least.

Now I've got a feel of how the poly count goes I was thinking of changing it too two small island towers joined by arch to get a diorama that could be viewed in the round.

35. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@overthere - Good work there for being new to 3D. Keep going!

Was hoping to see some more new entries over the weekend. Come on folks join in!

36. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Hi,here is and update of my model.
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

37. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That's getting there @EMMANEMSAURIO REX ! I'd probably use a few more polygons on the round shapes.

38. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Thanks Thomas,i will!. Hope i can share an update this week. :)

39. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks great - I love the archway with the torches :)

40. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

Thanks! The main idea is to put elements of a kingdom ruined by a natural disaster long time ago.

41. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Are we allowed to do it with someone in a team of two people? For one prize ofc.

42. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That would be a bit unfair. So no - not allowed. The challenges run for a whole month so I think that is very much enough time for an individual to finish a piece on their own :)

43. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Guess I better teach my girlfriend some basic texturing then, because shes already half way there with the models. :)

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  44. Daksmith

Daksmith

Lovely work here, if only i seen this sooner.

NomadKing likes this.
  45. NomadKing

NomadKing

You still have 2 weeks to give it a go - plenty of time! :D

Daksmith likes this.
  46. NomadKing

NomadKing

Here's an update on my entry. Finally finished the modelling for the skeleton that forms the base of the island. I decided to opt for a more dynamic pose than simply a head and shell, so I modelled the remains of a flipper perched against some rocks in its 'death pose' - the bone structure of turtles is surprisingly interesting!

Turtle2.png
    From the other side:
    Turtle3.png

And a quick wireframe (if anybody is interested):
    Turtle4.png

Next I'll be moving onto modeling the build up of land on the shell, (alot of what you see of shell now will be covered) a few trees, and the details that surround the inhabitant of my little island :)

47. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@kumakie There is 2 weeks left yet and that should be plenty of time for a good looking entry :)

@NomadKing - That's looking like a solid update there! Keep moving!

@Constructidecepticon - Any updates/news on your model?

48. raven99

raven99

I like the way your sketches developed into this lovely model.

49. raven99

raven99

You still have time! I saw this post about 3 days ago and I already drew sketches and began modeling my island. I would like to see your island.

50. raven99

raven99

Here are the sketches of my island and my modeling in progress.

Attached Files: