Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - January 2015 - Thor's Hammer (Mjölnir)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Jan 2, 2015.

1. essimoon2

essimoon2

Wow I'm really gonna need a miracle to get mine up in time >.<
    So I started with a high poly straight away. Gonna develop the proper form right in ZBrush due to the fact that only 3 days are left xD
    Some quick WIPs of what I currently have.

Good luck for the final days everyone! :D

Attached Files:

VertexFiend likes this.
  2. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Retopo done! Sitting at about 3000 verts right now. I may end up making a base/stand.

Lots of texturing to do tomorrow! :eek:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  3. Avenger84

Avenger84

@VertexFiend Looking awesome ! Cant wait to see the textures. Also glad that you like the amended version of my Hammer. Great Work :)

VertexFiend likes this.
  4. Bvel

Bvel

Really nice bake there and cool concept. You're cutting it fine though, not long left to finish! :)

Edit: I should have refreshed the tab before posting, the low poly looks great too, I'd love to see the wires.

VertexFiend likes this.
  5. Belar

Belar

With final date being so close, it is time to post. I focused on the diffuse map and added specular for proper gloss distribution. Here is my final entry:

Clean model from the WIP can be found here: https://skfb.ly/CyT9

nikos667 likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think this is my final entry now, I don't have much more free time before the deadline. I'll update if I do make any changes.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Avenger84 I just noticed on the Sketchfab site that you have two entries tagged with UCAC5. You need to untag your older version.

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  9. Avenger84

Avenger84

@Storm_The_Gates Cheers for that will untag the older version. Nice entry too :)

10. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Very awesome looking right there mate! Good job so far. Now on to texturing... before time runs out!

11. AnthonyMyers

AnthonyMyers

Thought I would post my work flow brake down
    - Anim8tor for base 3d work (free)
    - import to sculptris for high poly wok (free)
    - then off to blender for retopo (free)
    - then back to sculptris for poly paint (free)
    - then xnormal with detail overlay to bake my normal maps (free)
    - then back to blender for export to sketchfab (free)
    there you have it you don't have to have high end soft wear to do high end work (don't blame your brush because you can't paint)
    Now no one can have an excuse to say they can't join the next unity challenge (except for maybe time thats a good one)
    good luck every one !!!!

VertexFiend and Deleted User like this.
  12. Sazem

Sazem

Thanks for the tips! I only read the finnish version of the wiki article and it didnt have too much details on the hammer. I did follow your advice and made it more shorter. :)

WIP:

I gotta admit that I made really really awful Uw-mapping, and im not 100% happy of the model neither. Also I think my design was bit too boring. My excuse is that I am really tight schedul and had to rush a bit to get it finished.

Btw Thomas, you were asking some topics in the Twitter.. well I got no ideas currently but I was thinking it would be cool to try make some hard vertex limit and see what people couldnt end up with strict limits.. something like 1k, or even 500 vertecies as limit?

13. nikos667

nikos667

Don't get yourself down Sazem all it matters is what you learned out of this contest and if you had fun making this :) .I really like your textures,very nice hand painted job!
    About the uvs you mentioned...personally i didn't spot anything tragical looking a it for a moment...
    When you zoom in you can spot some seams,but that requires a reasonable zoom at certain places...keep in mind imperfections like those tend to be unoticable in a game aspect due to filtrers like Motion blur & animation...aside the distance :p

You did really good don't worry!
    Keep in mind that it's not only about who will come up with best uvs textures etc.But also who have a nice design and idea!
    It's an art competition,of course it will show good values & skills to have very tidy uvs/topology etc. or even a kick ass model but i'm sure as long as they are acceptable and your idea is very good it doesn't take away from you a good place in the end of the contest!

Friendly Nikos :)

Sazem likes this.
  14. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

@Avenger84 - Thanks man! Coming right up!

@Mr-Brett - Thanks so much! Yeah . . . too close this time! I may even try to build a little base! Some of the wires - HERE
    I really love your tree hammer! Very cool idea with great textures and execution! :)

Thanks @Thomas Pasieka ! Just about done with textures. Gonna get this puppy into Sketchfab and maybe build a little base.

Texture Update WIP -

yezzer, bsj, randomperson42 and 4 others like this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

@VertexFiend That's looking really good! Hope it translates nicely into Sketchfab.

16. Sazem

Sazem

Nikos, Im just giving my-self self critic :) Its true that I did enjoy making & painting the model. I can say I am happy of the result, didnt spend too much time and I did actually finish the model. Next one will be a bit better again!

VertexFiend, wow man! Thats amazing.. I think we have the winner here hahaha :D

17. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Thanks @Storm_The_Gates ! Yes . . . fiddling with the Sketchfab now! :) I think someone mentioned earlier . . . would be nice if they had their PBR setup all ready for this comp. Would have made things a ton easier.

Hey @Sazem ! Thanks!:oops: It's not done until I actually have something in Sketchfab :eek:. Dumbly trying to make a base at the last possible second. :mad:

Sazem likes this.
  18. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Here's my final entry-

Time to get some sleep . . . :confused:

19. essimoon2

essimoon2

Wow great entry VertexFiend! :O Lots of detail and a very nice futuristic feel of it, like it a lot!

I'm also finished with mine. I had hoped to not finish it last minute again.. maybe I'm better organized next time xD
    Well, here it is:

Some of the stuff I had in my head:
    I focused on displaying the impact this strong weapon does when wielded. I also tried to fit the lore at the same time by keeping the handle relatively short as measured by the head of the hammer. The hammer releaes small lightings at the place of impact, blazing both itself and the environment. I was always interested in nordic mythology and it was a lot of fun exploring and using their symbols and architectural approaches in this design again here \*o*/
    The magnetic stones at the back of it are kind of loose and only connected by the electric energy coursing through the hammer. In the middle there's a small energy core directing the lightings from the back of the hammer to the front and thus directly into the enemy's face xD
    And the small snake is just a little reminiscence of Jörmungandr, the great serpent Thor is destined to face with Mjölnir.

Again, Sketchfab and Unity, great contest with a great theme! Thanks for organising all of this each month, I love to browse this topic dozens of times to find so many awesome entries. It's motivating me each time to get my own stuff done :D

20. Avenger84

Avenger84

@VertexFiend Love it! Textures and hammer look amazing :) really good job.

@essimoon2 great entry the way you have presented it really gives it that extra something.

Great Work on here :)

VertexFiend likes this.
  21. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Thanks for this awesome competition . I learn so much things (Now i found 3d modeling addictive as like as programming) Finally! i created my first 3d model .

Presenting .....
    .My first 3d model in progress in image attachment
    and 3d model is

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    nikos667 likes this.
  22. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Thanks @essimoon2 ! I love the kinetic feel you captured in your entry! Great job!

Hey @Avenger84 ! Thanks again! I really had a lot of fun making it!

Thanks also to Unity, Sketchfab and Hutong Games for making it all possible!

23. nikos667

nikos667

Really glad to hear that ;)
    Both programming & art have a common root,and not only them but all CGI jobs :)
    Persistence and practise is key!

Deleted User and JeevanjotSingh like this.
  24. nikos667

nikos667

A mechanic design :) it was about time to see this kind of entry :D
    Really well executed and presented,i think any extra word is uneccesary!

I think this competition really worthed the time..we all fed our senses with some cool designs here...

25. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Thanks everybody for their entries and participation! The challenge is now over and we shall announce the Winners soon!

26. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Awesome work everyone! Thanks for another great UCAC :)

27. NomadKing

NomadKing

A lot of great entries this month, but my fav has to be @Mr-Brett - love the concept and the texture work!

Good job guys :)

Deleted User likes this.
  28. Bvel

Bvel

Awesome work. Thanks for showing the wires, although I guess they can be seen on Sketchfab now anyway but still.

Thanks @NomadKing, much appreciated :)

Congrats to everyone for getting their entries done and thanks Unity, Sketchfab and Hutong for putting on the competition. I'm looking forward to the next one.

29. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

And the Winners of this Challenge are:

1st Place = @essimoon2

2nd Place = @VertexFiend

3rd Place = @Mr-Brett

Congrats to all Winners and participants! Well done everybody!!!!!!

Thomas Pasieka

PS: Authors of the plugins/prizes will get in touch with you shortly.

Sazem, overthere, Bvel and 1 other person like this.
  30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great work everyone, winners well deserved!

31. Avenger84

Avenger84

Congratulations to all winners really great work. I feel like i am learning all the time with great pieces like this. Thanks to all for putting this contest on was a great challenge :)

32. save

save

Congratulations! It's been great to see all contributions, nice concept. :)

33. AnthonyMyers

AnthonyMyers

Congratulations to the winners and those who didnt great works!!!

JeevanjotSingh likes this.
  34. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Excellent work by winners .
    Congratulation Guys Great work (i was not even near to that modeling).

35. Bvel

Bvel

36. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Congrats everyone! :) I had a lot of fun with this one! There were so many really great entries! I'm sure it was a tough decision. I hope to see everyone next month!

37. NomadKing

NomadKing

Congrats guys :)

38. Alex-Chouls

Alex-Chouls

Congratulations! Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing what you make with Playmaker :)

Sazem, Thomas-Pasieka and VertexFiend like this.
  39. Sazem

Sazem

Congrads to everyone! Really nice entries again :)

And for the winners, really learn the Playmaker. I made my first gamejam (#1GAM) game nearly 99% with it, couldnt done it without. I had to make like 5 different style of prototypes and finally got one working like I wanted. (im really slow coder lol)

40. essimoon2

essimoon2

Thank you all guys. I really enjoyed this challenge once again, it's always so great to see all those different creative and inspiring entries! I'm already curious to see what everyone will do for the upcoming challenge "The bridge".
    Won't participate in that one myself due to too much other work, but I'm gonna definitely stalk the topic for the whole month :D

41. nikos667

nikos667

Congrats dudes! :)