Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Community Art Challenge - February 2015 - The Bridge

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Avenger84

Avenger84

Getting there with my entry. Still a lot to do adding more props ad especially a lot more work on the textures.

2. jackhearts

jackhearts

Got a nice imposing feel about it. Needs some blending on the base to have it look more connected to the ground but it's a wip so I'm sure you're on it. How did the plans pass health and safety without guard rails, that's just inviting a Darwin award :)

Avenger84 likes this.
  3. jackhearts

jackhearts

hmm, would've fancied having ago at this one but only noticed it last night

4. bsj

bsj

Hey folks,
    Here is a screenshot of my progress. Not turning out the way I'd hoped, but I am at a standstill, as Unity is generating a couple of errors.

Socket: unable to join multicast group, error: Operation has failed with error 0x2726: An invalid argument was supplied.
    (0)
    Unable to join player connection multicast group.

I've tried troubleshooting for an hour or so, and all the suggestions on Google have fallen flat. The issue is also occurring in my project from the December contest, which hasn't changed since I uploaded. I also tried to get around the issue by using the Zbrush sketchfab plugin, but that plugin doesn't appear to work with 4R7.

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I have tried rebooting, my network is working fine, and it is not a RAM issue...I've got 64GB, and my usage is at 11%.

Attached Files:

5. essimoon2

essimoon2

You could try to upload an obj directly and add textures after the model has uploaded. That's the way I do it too if I don't need program specific features like baked lighting or AO or something. And I like having direct control of what gets uploaded :)

Thomas-Pasieka and NomadKing like this.
  6. Serinx

Serinx

Blender crapped out on me and won't let me paint textures or normals for some reason so I'm submitting with no textures haha. I wanted to do a lot more detail but I've had a very busy month. Looking forward to the next challenge!

3k vertices

InesAlice likes this.
  7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That error is not really hindering you from finishing/uploading your work. Which version of Unity are you using? Please make a bug report.

raven99 likes this.
  8. jackhearts

jackhearts

What software did you use for your sketching? And nice bridge btw

9. AZeus

AZeus

No better time to begin your first community challenge than 2 days before the end of the month *sigh*

I finished the base mesh yesterday, the textures are just putting up a fight when it comes to Sketchfab.

Honestly the platform is like starting maya for the first time; you get the feeling it can do anything, its just a matter of time.. I guess it was simple until I needed the lights and alpha maps etc

All your work is VERY impressive guys hopefully I'll get my textures up soon.. Next month I can put more time into it all I guess ;)
    Cheers

Attached Files:

10. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Great Work
    The bridge faces are looks very similar to mine one .
    Great Job.

11. AZeus

AZeus

Thanks man yeah I'm going for a glossy white finish to match its time.. its only a small bridge though only one car at a time ;)

I assume you've gotten your bridge out of sketchup by now (I've only seen old images *starts scrolling up*) and hope everyone is finished by now.. I'm technically done turns out baking textures and fiddling with Sketchfab takes as long as the modelling LOL

Will upload textured version soon
    Cheers

PS I'm in Australia so I'm not sure when the cut off is.. It was good fun regardless thanks for organising this :)

JeevanjotSingh likes this.
  12. AZeus

AZeus

Normals don't seem to be working; they cause flickering in Sketchfab.. ah well its finished when I say so :D The "reflection" is surprisingly effective I think

I want to add so much more detail but its late here so this should cover me for now. Maybe there's still hope if I don't sleep in ;)

Happy uploading

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    raven99 likes this.
  13. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Here's my bridge. I scrapped the other one and started over.

Attached Files:

14. jackhearts

jackhearts

Same here, was browsing a couple of days back and quite like the look of it. Didn't think I'd have enough time to finish but made a start on something today regardless. Still don't think I'll have enough time but hey ho.

15. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Here's the link to the Bridge

NomadKing likes this.
  16. bsj

bsj

Loving the diversity in the entries. Really cool stuff.

Had all sorts of issues putting this together. The characters face kept exploding when importing into Unity...it looked like the AC: Unity face issue. Anyone have any ideas what may have caused?

Also, the textures were not retained when I uploaded to sketchfab. Had to recreate all the texture info inside sketchfab, which is quite tedious.

Never really did figure out what was causing the various issues. Likely user error on my part, but frustrating nonetheless.

Anyway, here is mine:

InesAlice and NomadKing like this.
  17. AZeus

AZeus

Looking good man if you add normal maps and dirty it up a bit I can see it working very well

Wow really embracing the low poly limit man great style! Looks like origami almost maybe you could run with that

Also on my macbook sketchfab is showing my bridge to have a messed up surface.. It should be whitish and clean :/ hope its just my hardware my phone displays it fine (How embarrassing ). Would appreciate if people could confirm it works for them :D

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  18. bsj

bsj

@AZeus - Thanks.

You're surfaces seem to be displaying correctly from my machine. I few seams show up, but otherwise looking good.

19. AZeus

AZeus

Yeah the rock faces seem to do that it fixes after a while (at least I hope..)

Also if you're having texture issues I had to bake mine out into giant maps.. simple enough. Having never used sketchfab before I didn't realize smaller bakes would allow greater manipulation of properties after upload (transparency, reflectance etc)

raven99 likes this.
  20. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Thanks. Wasn't really going for the dirty look and it does have Normal maps. It's more of a new bridge. But, thanks!

21. AZeus

AZeus

Yeah new is totally fine :) It was more of a solution to hide the repetition of the bricks. It isnt that big of an issue anyway. Also yeah it does have normal maps.. mine arnt showing up strong in sketchfab did you fiddle with yours at all?

Cheers

22. Revan31

Revan31

I used photoshop and wacom tablet :D

23. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

The biggest issue I had with this challenge was not being able to use my Susbtance materials as I wasn't able to get them to show up in SketchFab. So I had to ditch all my substances and change to textures. I hope that SketchFab figures out a way to allow for Susbtances to work (and have multiple substances).

24. AZeus

AZeus

I suppose you tried object baking or something.. I'm not sure about your scenario but I forced my procedural materials in (assuming you mean procedural) through using 4k texture maps :) Your issue is probably harder to solve good luck

25. Avenger84

Avenger84

Ok gonna call this done, still not fully happy with some of the textures and didnt have time to clean up some of the seams. software crash really cost me. anyway some great work on here once again :) Hopefully I can get it into sketchfab in time :)

ChrisSch, NomadKing and raven99 like this.
  26. jackhearts

jackhearts

ok, so this is what I started yesterday. Needs some tidying up here and there but reasonably happy with it. Can't see how I can texture it by close of play but I'll have a bash.

screengrab 04.jpg
    screengrab 05.jpg
    screengrab 07.jpg

NomadKing and raven99 like this.
  27. InesAlice

InesAlice

Here's my final entry, Cupid's bridge, inspired by Valentine's day. The textures are appearing way brighter in Sketchfab than Substance Painter, sadly I didn't have the time to work on it at all, and now its too late to fix it. :p

28. raven99

raven99

Hi folks this is my final entry.

NomadKing and ChrisSch like this.
  29. raven99

raven99

I just wanted to say, I learned some new skills. Nice work everyone!

30. Avenger84

Avenger84

31. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Apologies
    about the textures , everything goes wrong tonight because of blender and sketchup bad connectivity (I am noob so it happens to me)
    But hope you like my creative design of the bridge mesh .
    Thanks for this great contest . I learned a lot from these contests , i think participating on these will make all of you professional modelers :)
    As "Dying Light" says .......
    "Good night and Good luck ()....... . ":p

NomadKing and ChrisSch like this.
  32. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Did you upload as .blend file or something else? Try changing the up axis when exporting from Blender, to fix that "on the side" issue.

33. Sazem

Sazem

Woah! This was really close!! I have to go out today (in 15minutes actually, all dress up and all)..

Really didnt have the time to fix all the problems and polish. Gotta say that I get fast results after strict deadline! 2h ago it was pretty much in the same stage as in the wip :D

raven99, ChrisSch and NomadKing like this.
  34. NomadKing

NomadKing

Well another month, another last minute finish. Of course, there's more I'd have like to do, but done is done I guess!

Dev blog coming soon after some sleep (Spent the whole day doing the textures for this...) :)

EDIT: Dev blog can now be found Here

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    f4bo, VertexFiend, overthere and 6 others like this.
  35. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Thomas is silent, hes bringing around the other judges, and gathering at the big rectangular glass table with unity logo at the center, and ominous lighting, no doubt. :D

raven99 and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  36. essimoon2

essimoon2

Phew final minutes and I made it, wohooo! xD

And it's exactly 5k vertices, haha! :D
    Loved this challenge , and saw so many great and inspiring entries again! Good luck everyone!

37. ChrisSch

ChrisSch

Can't wait to see the winners!

JeevanjotSingh and raven99 like this.
  38. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Awesome stuff guys! I will close this challenge tomorrow sometimes so get your entry in ASAP! Winners will be announced Monday/Tuesday and a new Challenge shall be opened!

raven99 and JeevanjotSingh like this.
  39. AZeus

AZeus

I'm not sure if this constitutes a late entry because of timezones but I didn't think to upload it to the forum.. its been on sketchfab for a while ;) I have an older version on the forum above anyway. Also if the bridge normal map is flashing tell me so I can optimise my future models..

Cheers

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

40. jackhearts

jackhearts

My word that was exhausting, I've actually managed to finish what I started only yesterday

InesAlice, ChrisSch and NomadKing like this.
  41. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Apologise about that but i can't , I haven't used decimate(i used it first but it changed model geometry very badly(But the decimate is way better than any other reducer but i didn't found solution to reduce vertices , it was complicated for me) so first i use meshlab to export to obj and then very little decimate (but it makes model worse) so then i use reduce brush in sculptris and pich tool .) , i used sculptris to reduce triangles .
    Here is my sculptris file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  42. essimoon2

essimoon2

Did some final polish to the textures while there's still time. Since I just noticed my supposed endless supply of coffee was actually not endless I guess it's definitely finished now and I'm gonna go to bed. Good luck everyone with your final entries and best wishes for the next challenge!

43. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

Sir here is my final entry , i cant able to add material and textures but i make some edges more clear .

Here is my final entry :-

Here are some images of my true model in sketchup.
    bridge1.png bridge2.png bridge3.pg.png bridge4.png bridge5.png

InesAlice and ChrisSch like this.
  44. Avenger84

Avenger84

not sure why but my textures aren't loading properly in sketchfab

45. Avenger84

Avenger84

my bad it was my slow connection d'oh!!!!!!!

46. AZeus

AZeus

Nice yeah I had issues with my textures. SketchUp is great for executing ideas but I don't think it bakes materials into texture maps.. So I'd export to blender or some package that can bake textures

Yeah man my textures flash when I have them set to triliniar is it my internet or just detailed diffusion and normal maps :0 or maybe just my old MacBook

Great models guys
    Cheers

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  47. essimoon2

essimoon2

@JeevanjotSingh Really nice entry! But for some reason I see a lot of Z fighting. Is it only me or might there be faces overlapping each other?

48. AZeus

AZeus

Could be a sketchup thing.. It relies a lot more on 2d geometry so normals get confused.. Im probably wrong just a guess ;)

49. essimoon2

essimoon2

Haha yeah. It's been a couple of years since I used sketchup the last time but I remember it being great for quick visialization of ideas due to the ease of use. At the same time it was always a pain to get it out as a proper mesh since Sketchup seems to use kind of a hybrid model for 3d sketching, something between splines and polygons.

50. essimoon2

essimoon2

Is the challenge still up? Just wondering Oo