Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - December 2014 - The Christmas Ornament

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Dec 1, 2014.

1. dox

dox

Hi there,

Check out my concept art for the 3D model that Im working on right now! I was inspired by an old humble snow globe, including Santa and his deers that deliver Unity3D Christmas Presents to all Unity3D Users around the world! :) All in the Low-Poly Style.

Hope you like it,
    dox

2. NomadKing

NomadKing

Thats a great concept @dox , look forward to seeing it done! :)

@Batuque A classic, but still a nice model. Nice attention to detail

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Batuque likes this.
  3. NomadKing

NomadKing

Modelling is now done - here's a shot of the details I added to the back:

Sleigh10.png

And as promised, here's comparison shots of the High and Low poly versions:

Sleigh11.png

Sleigh12.png

A little confused about what number to take as the final Vert count - my modelling package puts me at 4927, Unity puts it at over 7k and a test upload (Here if you want to see it) to Sketchfab puts me at 3.3k... confusing!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  4. bsj

bsj

@NomadKing - I think @Thomas Pasieka mentioned that we could use the Vert count from whatever package we used to build our models.

NomadKing likes this.
  5. nasos_333

nasos_333

One more concept i am working on, particle cloud ball plus animated light beams.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Daksmith and NomadKing like this.
  6. NomadKing

NomadKing

Ah your right @bsj , found it on the front page. Thanks
    @nasos_333 It's like a christmas disco ball! :)

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

:), indeed, and in motion is even more so :)

NomadKing likes this.
  8. Sazem

Sazem

I finally got interneeeeet! After like... 1 month of waiting. Anyway it hasnt stopped me working!
    Here is my concept I made few weeks ago:

Some Wips

I got like 3k Verts now.. The Gnomo I have remade because I wasnt too happy with it. Also the Sphere has more verts currently, so its not so edgy. Still got nearly 2k verts to use :D

Trying to finish this all in the next few days. Still I got stuff to learn skinning for the characters and I got to paint the skysphere. I set my deadline on 24th :p

Comments & Critics are welcome!

9. Kirk Zhar

Kirk Zhar

hi everyone!:) This is my first wip

Attached Files:

10. Batuque

Batuque

My second wip, textures and some other details added. Next step is export it.
    8.PNG 8-1.PNG 9.PNG 9-1.PNG 9-2.PNG
    PS: Does that tie fit? :p

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    shaderbytes, NomadKing and Trideka like this.
  11. VanuVamp

VanuVamp

Heya guys,

Had some time to get my model finished and textured up. Here is what I have now.

12. Batuque

Batuque

Finally I understood how it works and uploaded a WIP. I still have to texture the barrel and maybe change/add some other details.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  13. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

What criteria will be used for picking the winners? Your original note didn't give any indication.

14. raven99

raven99

adding more branches.jpg Here's my first WIP. I am keeping it low poly.

NomadKing likes this.
  15. Guennor

Guennor

Phew! So this is the WIP of the Sleigh that the santa in my scene is gonna ride.

Trying to keep the lowpoly/solid-color-cartoon style!

I'm almost finished with all the props and things, I'm gonna start building the whole scene now!

NomadKing likes this.
  16. Frogames

Frogames

wow, a lot of high quality entries!

I started to work on the first character of my scene: the Colorado potato beetle!
    187 vert and 114 tris.

bsj, Batuque, NomadKing and 2 others like this.
  17. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Frogames interesting choice , looks like something Timon and Pumbaa would love to eat ;)

18. Frogames

Frogames

@shaderbytes It's colorado potato beetle. In France we call it a doryphore. It's cute, but it's really a nightmare for potatoes.

The bee:

NomadKing, Thomas-Pasieka and Trideka like this.
  19. k1mset

k1mset

Greetings! I am working on a Pikachu Christmas Ornament. Who knows if I will be done by the time the 31st comes due to holidays and work, but either way here is my wip. I found a nice free Pikachu character sheet on the internets, and am using that as a base. Once that is complete I will place a scarf and Santa hat on his head, and top it off by putting him inside the one thing Pikachu is never in - a Pokeball! Hopefully I can get it done before the contest is over, but who knows.

Trideka likes this.
  20. Frogames

Frogames

Firefly's done!

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  21. Guennor

Guennor

Ok, so that's it for me! I'm gonna go to the beach tomorrow so I won't be able to work on this any more. And also I reached the vertice limit: exactly 5.000 vertices!

As explained before, the idea was to make "Ornapresents", which are ornaments that parachute from the sky, delivered by a certain company's (ex) CEO! ;)
    I hope you guys like it. I had lots of fun going back to 3D modeling - I spent the past few years only dedicating myself to learning and enhancing my programming skills.

NomadKing likes this.
  22. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

So many great ornaments, we could fill the whole tree :)

Happy Christmas all...take some time off!! :D

NomadKing and Batuque like this.
  23. k1mset

k1mset

Heres another shot of what I have done so far.

NomadKing and Trideka like this.
  24. AnthonyMyers

AnthonyMyers

I'm done Merry Christmas everyone!!! and good luck and I hope you all get what you want from Santa. or at least the receipt to return it.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    Thomas-Pasieka, NomadKing and Trideka like this.
  25. Sazem

Sazem

I had pretty rush to get it done for today!
    Still I got some minor tweaks and fixes to do but its like 98% done...

3,5k Verts finally...

Merry Christmas everybody!!!

NomadKing, VanuVamp, jvico89 and 3 others like this.
  26. stummark

stummark

Guennor likes this.
  27. bradAnderson

bradAnderson

Here's an update. Playing around with texturing ideas for the bell and wrapping up the base mesh for the reindeer. More UVing and texturing to go!!

Also are we allowed to submit multiple entries?

Update: Did some sculpting, not so terrifying anymore (hopefully =] )

RD007.png

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    NomadKing and HonoraryBob like this.
  28. SphericalPenguin

SphericalPenguin

I finally got a chance to work on this. The plan is to do something like Toon Link grappling onto the branch of a tree.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    NomadKing likes this.
  29. jvico89

jvico89

WIP

WIP_4.png

Sazem likes this.
  30. Frogames

Frogames

Finally, the last character

bsj, NomadKing, Sazem and 1 other person like this.
  31. essimoon2

essimoon2

Hi everyone and happy holidays! :D

I'm currently struggling to get my entry for this challenge up. Just blocked out an initial shape as a starting point in Blender for further look dev.
    I want to make an ornament that you can't just buy in a shop. Something that looks self-made, in this case carved from a piece of wood. It's supposed to have a unique feel for you can only hang it onto your tree if you made it yourself :)

Might be adding some more deco elements around it or maybe build a little scene inside the cavity. Hope to get it up and ready 'til New Year's Eve though.. :D

unity_christmas_wip01.PNG

Trideka and HonoraryBob like this.
  32. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP of the submission, titled "Fairy Christmas: Homecoming". The ornament represents the return of a fairy at winter time to her home, in order to see her younger sisters. Orientation is wrong in this one, the starting pose is the back :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  33. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Hey guys some great entries so far I am a tad bit behind the rest of you all but should still be able to enter by the end of the competition :D

Hope you all had a great X-mas!

34. Frogames

Frogames

bsj, Thomas-Pasieka, Daksmith and 2 others like this.
  35. Trideka

Trideka

@Frogames That is super charming. =)

I'm still in this... just waiting to hit a milestone before showing more screenshots. Doing a lot of painstaking hand painted texture work. Hurgh..

NomadKing likes this.
  36. NomadKing

NomadKing

Nice to come back and see so many entries nearing the finish line. Good stuff everyone!

Spent the morning baking the normal maps from my high poly model and the AO which I'll use as part of my diffuse (I may even see if I can sneakily use them as a basic spec/gloss map as well). Updated my WIP on sketchfab:

This is using the maps straight from xNormal, got a few bits I'm going to have to rebake (and some randomly missing geometry on the back of the left gun), although thankfully that's mostly in the Normals which is pretty quick even at 4k textures :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  37. essimoon2

essimoon2

Some update rendered quickly in Blender (it's a bit grainy I know). Guess I'm gonna go with that.
    Hope to get some nice textures up tomorrow to replace that standard-ish wood and make some textures done for all the models. Wish me luck :D

christmas_ornament_wip_02.PNG

Batuque, Frogames, NomadKing and 2 others like this.
  38. Trideka

Trideka

Not revealing the whole thing yet. But here is a vertical slice. Still a TON to do, argh!

ornament snippet.jpg

39. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Kind of last minute here, but I'm going to see if I can whip something up for the deadline!

Going for a F-Zero inspired racing pod that will have a Xmas themed paint job and hopefully a few more details.

Block-out -

40. Frogames

Frogames

@Trideka thank you. Can't wait to see your entry ;)

Here is my sketchfab export. I think it needs more love but it looks fun!

41. mindlessblahs

mindlessblahs

I am a bit late to the party, but here's what I am working on:

I actually just wanted to try out a lowpoly character for the first time, so I decided to model something like a cute christmas fairy decorating a tree with the help of magic spells. Or something like that, I am still not sure ;) I started blocking out the character and will do the clothes next, I hope I can finish it in time. I really like a lot of the entries so far, I am especially excited to see the lowpoly diorama, as it looks like the stuff I do at work and I always love these illustrations :)

character01.PNG

42. k1mset

k1mset

Only a few days left, and here I am modeling complete. Just slap a UV map on there and load into Sketch. Not a contest winner, but I think this was a fun event :D.

awesomeliquidbear likes this.
  43. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Great stuff everybody! Only a few more days left! Get your stuff "wrapped" up! ;)

44. Sanderdl

Sanderdl

I hadn't checked out this thread in while because of Christmas and all that. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so many new entries. Everyone, don't forget to tag your entries with UCAC4!

45. koffeinvampir

koffeinvampir

heh. Also joining in late.

I am trying to make a small christmas spherobot, living inside the christmas ornament. Let's see how this works out. Here is a small screenshot of my WIP.

Attached Files:

46. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Hey guys :D Man this competition is bringing talent!

Love Watching all your designs come to fruition. A bit of a WIP from me for the night tomorrow I am unwrapping, finishing the models off, baking AO, normals and doing the diffuse all ready for the due date (I hope! )
    I am hitting around 3000 verts by the end blender says.

VertexFiend likes this.
  47. essimoon2

essimoon2

Guess I really have to use every minute til the deadline to make it in time :confused:
    @Thomas Pasieka Could you point out the exact deadline (if there is such a thing). Is it something like December, 31th, 12 p.m. CET or can we just work 'til our clock rings the new year? :D

I don't want to wait until the last minute before I submit my final result here but I wonder how much of December, 31th remains for me to finish it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  48. febix

febix

Many people write here about their concepts and sketches. I'll go ahead and try to tell from the beginning ... Namely -
    what inspired me :)
    First - I think one of the trend of this season in the mobile gaming industry is minimalism. A lot of games have become popular in particular due to its visual simplicity and easy to control. I tried to make this ornament in modern style with the addition of some Christmas decorations.
    Second - Unity for me personally combines versatility and ease of use, this black and white combine together. It seemed to me that the logo Unity with its black and white colors (and vice versa) is ideal for this.

49. Alejandro Galindo

Alejandro Galindo

Hi, sorry for delay in showing process; my christmas ornament is referenced of the old christmas ornaments made in glass by artisans, but with a cute contemporary design, preserving the kind spirit of christmas :)

This is a WIP
    pag1.jpg pag2.jpg pag3.jpg pag4.jpg

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP for the 2ond submission

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    raven99 likes this.